C&D's Burley Flake #5 is a robust, sweet blend of light and dark burleys, with zesty red and bright Virginias and just the right amount of dark-fired Kentucky.

Blended ByCornell & Diehl
Blend TypeBurley Based
ContentsBurley, Kentucky, Virginia
Strength
Taste
Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable

3.2

The light and dark burleys provide a bit of nuttiness, a fair amount of earth and wood, and a couple drops of molasses as the main components. The tangy ripe dark fruity, earthy, lightly sugary and bready red Virginia takes a lead over the very citrusy, mildly grassy bright Virginias. They are important secondary players. The woody, earthy, mildly floral, nutty dark fired Kentucky also has a little sweetness, some spice, and a dry note or two as an obvious condiment that you’ll notice in every puff. The strength and taste levels are medium. Both these aspects gain a little strength once past the half way mark, so I will rate them a step or so higher than medium. The nic-hit at its peak is medium. Won’t bite, but despite the sweetness, it has a rough edge at times. The flakes are moist, and you may consider drying them a little. I did not do that. Burns fairly cool, very clean, and slow. There is a little inconsistency in the overall sweet and savory flavor as some nuances rise and recede here and there. Leaves little moisture in the bowl, and requires some relights. Has a very pleasant, lightly lingering after taste. Not an all day smoke, but it can be a repeatable one. Three and a half stars out of four.

-JimInks

Grim_Tactics Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Grim_Tactics (1)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

I’ll be frank and say that I do not enjoy Virginia or VA/Per blends. Therefore, I don’t review them or buy them. I also detest blends where the VAs just stand out more than, say, Latakia or the accompanying tobaccos. I need VA to just sit down and shut up for me to enjoy a blend.

Burleys on the other hand are my forte. I love when a company puts out a good Burley Flake or uses it well in English blends.

What made this blend sing for me is the way the flavors sing their own tune but find a way to harmonize.

For example, on the first light I immediately noticed the Virginia tobaccos but also tasted the Burley. I didn’t know what to think at first because the VA was there, no hiding that, but I tamped and re-lit the bowl and sat back and just enjoyed what this offered up.

The VA’s danced ever so well that it went hand in hand with the Burley which is also very well balanced as to provide enough of that earthy sweetness and nuttiness without being overbearing. Add in the fact that the dark fired Kentucky plays more of a condiment roll and what you have is a smoke that keeps your attention.

The spice that the Kentucky adds should be thought of as a good rye - it imparts a spice that doesn’t over power but doesn’t linger longer than it should but you know it’s there.

Another thing I really enjoyed about this blend is it isn’t overly strong as some C&D blends can be. I found the nicotine to be noticeable but less so than Old Dark Fired and much less than Irish Flake.

The only negatives I will give this blend are:

1. If pushed too hard this blend will turn bitter and unpleasant. It’s similar to Irish Flake in regards to this. Slow your cadence and this will correct itself.

2. The end of the bowl can get a tad one dimensional. I very much enjoyed the vast majority of my time with this tobacco but the final leg of the bowl just became a bit boring. Nothing terrible mind you, but it just seemed to lose that “wow” factor.

With that being said I don’t think it should cost it any stars because I will stock up on this and enjoy this very much in the warmer months ahead. ODF is my favorite blend like this and Burley Flake #5 came very close to beating it but will sit a close 2nd.

Pipe Used: Peterson Royal Irish, Neerup Ida

Purchased From: SP

Similar Blends: Old Dark Fired, Solani Aged Burley Flake, Peterson’s Irish Flake.

StevieB (1902)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Cornell & Diehl - Burley Flake #5.

When I received an email from Smokingpipes.com announcing this as their latest addition I ordered a tin imminently. Likewise, when it arrived in the post it never made it to my cellar; received, opened, smoked.

The blend has a build that's closer to #3 and 4: actual flakes. The first in the series were broken, #1 looked like thick ribbons, but #5 is a steadfast flake. This doesn't mean a formidable hand's needed, though, they begin to crumble at the slightest touch. They're fairly dark in colour.

A bowl lights easily, generating a decent burn, where the only fault lies with the heat: when puffed voraciously it becomes too warm. The Burley and Kentucky definitely outweigh the Virginia, but it doesn't taste like a fire-cured mess. The Burley gives a sweet, nutty, flavour and the Kentucky adds a touch of exuberance without completely dominating the flavour. The Virginia requires more identification, it can be picked out, but the calibre the other leaves have means it's a bit of an exerting task to do so. The main flavour's good, but what puts me off a little is a slightly 'dusty' top note; this detracts from the enjoyment.

Nicotine: mild to medium. Room-note: pleasant-ish.

Burley Flake #5? It's 'alright' but harbours a few negatives for much of a recommendation.

Two stars.

Pipe Used: L' Anatra

AC Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AC (11)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I am a burley lover, and I consider C&D Burley Flake #1 (Burley, Kentucky, Perique, Virginia) my top most favored blend, followed closed by Burley Flake #4 (Burley, Kentucky, Latakia, Virginia). Yet, I do not care much for Burley Flake #2 & #3. As such, I was truly excited about the real possibility of adding a third top blend to my rotation, now a Burley, Kentucky, Virginia. In terms of the "mechanics" of the blend, the soft flakes in this one are much like the others of this real tobacco series: simply great and beautiful, packs, lights and burns well (even if a bit wet, which I enjoy), and I must also add, with a tantalizing tin note.

Having said all this, I admit being somewhat disappointed with this newest edition of the Burley Flakes' series. First, it is weaker in overall taste and Vitamin-N than its predecessors. Next, although there is a pervasive sweetness I do enjoy, it lacks "complexity" for the most part (i.e., the different phases of the burning tobacco in the bowl), even though you know absolutely you are smoking a C&D Burley Flake. I think the issue is that being a rather mild blend, it lacks oomph, especially if compared with Burley Flake #1 & #4. Hence, only two stars.

Still, a good and pleasant smoke from the best tobacco blenders in the world.

Update (15/02/2018): I have given further chances to this blend. As it dried out a bit, I have found it to be more enjoyable, albeit no change in complexity. Its strength has grown as well with the drying out, and as such, it actually deserves a notch up in this review to a "third star".

Pipe Used: Early Mincer Era Custombilt

Purchased From: www.smokingpipes.com

CanadianCobCodger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CanadianCobCodger (4)

Great stuff... The burleys and dark fired add that nutty bold strength. I also love the red virginias... the sour sweetness is in perfect balance with the other leaves. Nic hit is noticeable. I like this one as much, if not more than Burley Flake #4 (which has latakia). It's strong enough that I have to pace myself, and could maybe only do one bowl a day... but my what a bowl!

Pipe Used: Mark Twain Cob

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Similar Blends: C&D Burley Flake series.

Ole Berg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ole Berg (1)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

C&D Burley flake #5 nuttiness and some earth from the Dark Burley the Virginia's are up front with a light fruity sweetness and hay the dark fired ky adds some spice and sweetness this blend will get bitter if you smoke it to fast I went slow and had a lot of relights but with some dry time and a slow cadence this is as good as Solani age burley flake , the vitamin N is medium the blend smoked cool no bit but needs a little dry time , its a nutty earthy sweet blend with a little spice I say it's a good Smoke buy it

Pipe Used: OMS bent Dublin

Purchased From: a sample

Similar Blends: Solani aged burley flake, old dark fired.

DenizBeck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DenizBeck (311)
Strong None Detected Full Strong

This one took me a while to really enjoy... when it arrived the tin-note was very sour and strongly of vinegar, which quite confused me! I packed a bowl nonetheless, but in the smoke the same: Vinegar all the way :-/

After letting the tobacco sit in the tin for a few days the vinegar faded remarkably in the scent, so I dared to stuff 2 flake-chunks in a cob. Sour vinegar is almost completly gone, C&D's d.f. Kentucky tends to be a bit sour for me, but that's just fine. I've puffed quite a few bowls by now and it's a "smooth strong smoke" ;-P

Now, that the vinegar is gone, it's a very solid smoke! The Kentucky is quite prensent, giving a rich smokiness to the blend, that is perfectly outbalanced by a very mellow, yet everpresent sweetness, prolly from the Virginias in here. The Burleys play silently, being the foundation, but they do harmonize well and its earthy and woodsy notes melt perfectly with the dark fired Kentucky! There's also a slight nutty and sharp edge to it all the way through the bowl, which I find quite pleasant and refreshing, opening up the rather "dark" and tart flavor profile BF#5 offers.

For lovers of dark fired leaf a wonderful treat! But also fans of the Burley Flake line will find joy in this, it's a great after-dinner smoke. Hearty, full-bodied, with that raw and untamed charme of a Kentucky blend. Bet this one pairs well with a spicy drink, such as a scotch or rum!

|| Personal rating: 3-stars | Rated for what it is: 4-stars! ||

HabaneroHardy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HabaneroHardy (184)
Medium None Detected Medium Unnoticeable

As I have stated before I attend a pipe club at a local brick and mortar and try to buy something to support the establishment and chose this one. I did not realize it is like a series of Burley Flake but I guess the #5 should have tipped me off. I tried it that day and it was okay. It has a very fragrant tin note that if I did not know better, I would think it was aromatic and the flakes, actual flakes this time as C&D likes to label their product flakes and when you open the tin you find it is a broken flake was really moist. Most people would probably let it dry but for whatever reason I just never do. I do not see how a few minutes makes that much difference but to each their own. I do the fold and twist method and smoked it in my Meerschaum and had some more this evening while sitting on the porch in the dark at a little after five o’clock and watching it rain. My 15-year-old Shih Tzu, Nellie was sitting by me waiting for her Momma to come home from work. I get home at 2:30 while she gets home at around 6:00. This starts out nice and mellow and shortly thereafter a little strength kicks in, harsh is not a good word to use but we will go with that term but not in a negative way. I am in no way a Burley expert but it is actually a nice pleasant smoke. Not a bad way to spend the afternoon, sitting on the porch, man’s best friend sitting by you even though she is a Momma’s girl, cup of Joe, dark, rainy afternoon and smoking a good Burley and trying not to think about anything.

Pipe Used: Meerschaum

Age When Smoked: 082219, barely 3 months

troyniss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
troyniss (12)

Presentation: Thick and non uniform flake. Some flakes are longer and bigger than others. The tin I had contained a massively thick flake about 3/4 inch thick and two inches long. Medium brown burleys, a few light and red Virginia leaves throughout and a decent portion of dark fired layered in between. Good amount of intact flakes with some broken and smaller remnants at the bottom of the tin.

Palate: Burleys are not my favorite, and being that Cornell and Diehl is most popular for this leaf, I found myself struggling to find my place with this blend. The burleys provide a nice molasses, nutty, and a touch of brown sugar. Not a lot of chocolate that burleys are famous for. The Virginia adds a touch of sweetness and that supplements the somewhat bitter aspects of burley. The dark fired provides the semi coarse salt rub spice you might find on a nice brisket. While the blend sounds appealing on paper, it runs a little flat in the smoke. I couldn't find anything about this blend that I would write home about. It taste hot and dusty and there is an acrid aftertaste that itches my throat.

Performance: The flakes rub out pretty easily but may take a little longer to prepare with some of the flakes being gigantic. It smokes with relative ease and leaves no moisture at the heel. Produces a fine ash that can easily be dumped out with no additional work. Burns at a moderate speed and contains a nice nicotine hit. Not an all day blend, although for a burley lover this could be smoked multiple times a day.

Conclusion: I never cared for burleys that much, and it takes a lot to convince me on buying a new burley blend. However, I think that the Burley Flake series has a healthy range of options that I may want to try a different type and see how they fare, but as for now, Burley Flake #5 isn't cutting it for me. I didn't rate it 1 star simply because I love dark fired, and I know that Cornell and Diehl uses quality leaf, but despite that the actual feeling of smoking this makes me feel like I am parched for water. It's a very dry blend for my palate. I'm not sure if age will make this one better as I have had this tin jarred for over a year with not much improvement.

Pipe Used: MM Carolina Gent

Age When Smoked: Less than 1 year.

Purchased From: SP

moniker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
moniker (154)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant

IMO, C&D are masters of blends I call “artful codgers”, which build upon and improve their codger progenitors. And their Burley Flake #5 is yet another great example of this sort of blend. The tobaccos here are well melded, presented in the tin as broken flakes, moist in my young tin and smelling of slightly earthy, yeasty, dough-y bread with very faint dark fruit compote, some fermented zing and a muted edge, the colors ranging from medium red-ish brown to dark brown and khaki. I like to at least try most of my pipe tobacco at tin moisture, and BF5 tastes very good smoked this way, albeit it takes patience to light and it requires numerous relights to smoke it moist. In terms of pipes, after a little rest this one smokes great in the same “small” (looks tiny but it’s a #4) poker I now use exclusively for another C&D Burley, their Burley Flake #3. BF5 starts out as a “serious” VA, with country bread and dark fruit from stoved red and surprisingly deep lemon VAs that are also grassy and slightly “effervescent”, with the light and dark Burleys steadily rising to deepen and quickly take over the blend as they add more and more mixed nuts and bitter tannins to the natural VA and added sugars. The KY is spare but it certainly factors in, contributing a little smoke and that buttery quality that I so enjoy when it’s present. Aromas are savory and bitter sweet, running with the tastes, along with some wood, meadow grasses and faintly floral whiffs. Great stuff. Strength the way I smoke it builds close to strong, with full tastes. Room note is actually pleasant. Aftertaste is a lingering and even sweeter best of the smoke.

Hard to second guess other smokers, but I suppose this one is “geared” to veterans. However, the added sugars might encourage newbies to stay with it, and they might just learn to like it. I surely do. 4 stars and hats off to C&D.

Pipe Used: various briars; #4 poker preferred

Age When Smoked: fresh from young tin, then rested a little

Purchased From: Liberty Tobacco

Similar Blends: Compare/contrast to C&D Burley Flake # 3 or GLP JackKnife Plug.