BrandPCCA
Taste
McQueen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
McQueen (28)
Mild Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A blend tinned in 1992 and i'm the first to review it!? I do believe these tins were made in small numbers. This was part of a 3 blend USA set (I think) including Port of Dumfries and New World Flake.

I recently bought the tin from an online vendor who described it as "...McClellands took its finest ripe Red Virginia from decades ago and produced a tartly sweet and smooth deeply rich leaf..." And I would say that is pretty accurate. I am already kicking myself for not buying more than one. This appears to have a red virginia base not unlike 5100, ribbon cut, but similar to a McCranies blend. It has mellowed to an excellent point and you cant help but wonder if its the top shelf leaf, or a tiny bit of casing that is adding the sweetness too this one, I for one doubt its a casing knowing how McClelland reds were picked and processed. As with any blend tinned for this long, the red appearance is gone and the leaf has darkened a bit to a deep richness with some mahogany and lighter ribbons. I might also detect some stoved red in here as well.

This a very flavorful tobacco with a depth of complexity you will usually find in tobaccos of this class that lights easily, burns well and has a fine finish. I get notes of citrus and leather, fresh sawn wood, candied fruit, and lemon zest – deep and mellow.

Similar Blends: McCranies Red Ribbon, McClelland 5100, Blakeneys Best.