Mac Baren Gold Block

(2.09)
Virginia, burley tobaccos sweetened by a secret process. Smoke this tobacco peacefully. Pouch blurb: "An aromatic blend of bright Virginia and rich burley tobaccos. Finest quality leaf for a subtle smoke."
Notes: Now owned and made by MacBaren. From P&C's website: Gold Block from Ogden's of Liverpool was known for being one of the most widely available pipe tobaccos in the UK. This smooth and relaxing blend of sweet, bright Virginia and mellow white burley is treated to a pleasant top note which allows the user to get real tobacco flavor, while delivering an enticing room note. For anyone who is looking for an all day blend, or for a lightly flavored tobacco for earlier in the day, Gold Block is certain to please.

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

2.09 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 41 - 50 of 86 Reviews
Dec 23, 2018 Mild to Medium Medium Overwhelming Overwhelming
Vile, uterlly vile, threw it away after second bowl. Foul taste, foul room note, wouldn't recommend this at all. I used in 2 different pipes incase it was my pipe, changed the filters and still not smokeable. I have smoked hand rolled, Taylor mades, cigars, now pipes and this is the worst thing I have ever smoked.
Pipe Used: Carey magic inch and Peterson's churchwarden
PurchasedFrom: Tesco's
Age When Smoked: 30
Sep 19, 2017 Extremely Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant
This one was given to me as a gift(Mac B.version) well...a hay like some citrus,very mild...but smoked slowly it gives me some great tones on the palate, real tobacco taste shine thru. A ok blend for those who prefer bright virginias(and burley) Its very mild as mensioned,i prefer moore lady N.
Pipe Used: Jakobsen Pipe little squat tomato.
Mar 05, 2017 Extremely Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant
I actually was pleasantly surprised with this one when I finally got around to smoking it. I haven't had the original so I can't compare it to that but it is my understanding that this was an OTC baccy at one time and for that it is a perdy darn good tobacco. The prices we are seeing on this tobacco in the States would suggest it's a top shelf, high end tobacco so it seems Mac Baren is trying to force this blend in a market where it does not belong. I would happily pay OTC prices for Gold Block but unfortunately this blend does not warrant the current asking price. This is not a high end, fancy tobacco and if that is what you are expecting you will be disappointed. It is a good, bland smoke that I wouldn't mind putting into my pipe from time to time. It doesn't have any real flavor that I can speak of, it's like a sugar cookie in that it's sweet but doesn't really taste like anything but is still quite enjoyable. If pushed this will definitely give you tongue bite so go slow with this one. Air dry this one 15-20 minutes before loading up and you'll be good to go. Nicotine is nothing special so if your require large doses of nicotine than I suggest ya snuff and puff with this one. A fun thing you can try out with this blend is mixing it 50/50 with St. Bruno for a whole different taste experience. Apparently this method was very popular for a time, they call it Ogden's Mixture.

They should have kept this one where it belongs... over the counter.
Pipe Used: Stanwell
PurchasedFrom: www.smokershaven.com
Age When Smoked: 1 year
Feb 08, 2017 Mild None Detected Very Mild Unnoticeable
A pack of this was sent to me by a mate in Pommy Land. I really looked forward to it as he has smoked it for 40 or more years.

OK, so it showed up with the postie this morning just in time for me to give it a test drive. Well, how can I put this tactfully...it burnt the living crapola out of my tongue, the roof of my mouth and the back of my throat. Two hours later I can still feel the discomfort on the back of my palate. Holy crap!

The guys who like it must have a mouth lined with stainless steel.
Pipe Used: French Briar
PurchasedFrom: Gift
Oct 17, 2016 Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable
I bought a pouch of this as I had forgotten my tobacco on a fishing trip and it was all the newsagents had. I'm not gonna waste time going into depth but it brought nothing to the table and ended up in the trash, burned quickly, tasted bland and left me thinking how has this stuff survived for so long?

My advice is as this is the same price as most premium tobaccos...save your money...don't bother
Pipe Used: Falcon hunter
PurchasedFrom: B&M
Dec 01, 2014 Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant
This ain't nowhere near as bad as people are making out but it's not as full flavoured as other easily available blends in UK supermarkets. It's OK though and superb when mixed 50/50 with St Bruno, both of which are made by Ogdens. Mixing these two is so well known that people then call it Ogden's Blend but let's talk about straighforward Gold Blend - it's got a sweet taste, almost like honey and I certainly don't agree that it tastes like cigarettes. Nor does it give tongue bite...well, not unless you puff away like crazy. Kick back, put on some cool music and enjoy the mix of virginia and burley. It's Okay. Put it that way.
Pipe Used: Rothman's Gerrad and Hall and Fitzgerald
PurchasedFrom: Pissing Tescos
Mar 14, 2012 Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
I can understand why many are negative to this blend. I used to find it overly harsh, with a tendency to bite due to the sweetness of the casing and having a rather artificial chemical flavouring.

But you know, I actually quite like the stuff these days. Yes, you need to smoke it slowly to avoid the bite, and yes there are better sweet virginia/burley mixtures out there with more natural flavours, but for a widely available supermaket UK blend it is for me definately smokeable. And for a foil packet rather than a tin the packaging is really rather attractive.

I think if you come from other still available Ogden's blends - St Bruno and Walnut flake and expect similar you will be disapointed, but they are completely different styles of tobacco. And although sadly none of the Ogdens tobaccos are now made in Liverpool (the factory is long shut), or even so far as I'm aware in the UK, this old blend (originally produced in 1901) when treated with care will reward a pipe smoker with a relaxing smoke.
Nov 07, 2011 Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable
I think the most charitable thing to be said about GB is that it is pointless. I remember buying some in the 80s during my first pipe smoking phase, and at that time it had a distinctive and pungent fruity aroma. The current version seems a pale shadow of what I remember it being, and overall it is a thin and insipid smoke. If I was stuck on a desert island with nothing else to smoke, I'd smoke it, but short of that I can't see myself buying another packet.

To other readers who smoked GB 25 years ago: has it really changed or is it my imagination and memory that is at fault?
Nov 09, 2010 Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
I walked into a shop in Gran Canaria (Spain) where I found some Dunhills at a good price and while I paid for my tobaccos the shopkeeper insisted that I should buy this one as well. Now I enjoy his persistence. I read that it has nothing to do with the old tin, as it is now manufactured in Spain, as I was told by the shopkeeper. But for me it makes no difference, since I really liked this Virginia. Moderate nicotine strength, fills the bowl easily and it is also easily lit. It leaves a very discrete scent in the room, has no aroma and has very good moisture level, even immediately after opening the tin. I do not know how to describe since it does not give something extra, but then again it can smoked and very easily, perhaps in some nervous and hurriedly smoking. It has a sweetness because of the Cavendish, but nothing more than that.
May 01, 2010 Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable
This review is all about the current pouched version of GB, which I got back from Barcelona. Never smoked the tinned GB of old.

One does not need to smoke pounds of GB for understanding its qualities (and limits). It's not bad, and I may understand why there are pipsters devoting to discrete blends like this. I think GB belongs to the cathegory of the English traditionals, just like St. Bruno, having a wide (?!?) platea of estimators, smokers who are not looking for stunning sensations. Just a mild and easy smoke delivering some sweet notes, unoffensive to others. A bit non-sense, nowadays that smoking a pipe in public is as rare as white elephants...

Well, let me say first that GB is not golden. Upon opening the sealed pouch the weed shows as a mixture of pale yellow and light brown. Virginia and Burley. My pouch was definitely fresh, the tobacco a bit wet, not too much. Fine ribbon, not shag, but then: yes, it strongly recalls some RYO, mainly because of the pouch aroma.

Loaded a bit loose in some straight Castello's. Lights very easy and stays lit. I would not write all the story of the bowl in thirds... let me just say that during the first third the smoke was a bit stingy, maybe due to some deep puffing in search of more flavour; then the smoke settles down to peace. Sweet tongue, nice! Vitamin N satisfaction: nope. Partial pleasure, maybe that's why they said it leaves you wanting more...

Since GB came in good company with St. Bruno RR, sure I will try the famous mix 50/50 nicely told herebelow. I will tell You further.

target="_blank"