Two different types of black cavendish and Virginia, cut in differing widths, comprise Vauen's Oriental Blend. The surprising aroma of fresh and exotic coriander in combination with a little honey make this mixture a very special one.

BrandVauen
Blended ByVauen
Manufactured ByVauen
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Virginia
FlavoringHoney, Spices
Strength
Medium to Strong, Strong
Taste
Medium to Full, Very Full
Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable
canvas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
canvas (324)
Medium Strong Very Full Tolerable

I opened the tin and the first words out my hole were, "What the F$@! is this?" - an intense punch of smells I have never come across before. A sharp, herbal, ham spiced, clove laden, honey coating with the same odor as medical ointment found in an old timey apothecary. I was both intrigued and wary of this stomach bile mix at the same time.

The ribbon was nice mix of Black Cavendish and tan Virginia bits that felt nice packing and required no dry time, and burned at a good rate. A word of caution however, the Oriental spice is very intense, will prick your buds and anesthetize your tongue afterwards, leaving it numb as if smoking a clove cigarette (you might even want to cut this with another blend). The nicotine is not terribly strong, but don't expect any delicate "natural" tobacco taste to punch through the Oriental shield, the smoke is just pure spice.

I decided to rate the flavoring as strong, not from any topping or casing, but for whatever planet they sourced the tobacco from, I just can't imagine any tobacco casting such a plume.

I had a friend recommend this one to me, and I'm glad I tried it. While it was too intense for me to rebuy, it was certainly a unique smoke.

Purchased From: tobaccopipes.com

ScienceSmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ScienceSmoker (22)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Wow. Strong smells when you open the tin. The description says coriander, but it smells more like strong, fresh lemongrass to me. I don't really smell the cloves that other people have talked about. Lighting up, the taste is more subdued than the tin smells. How can it not be? That tin is an explosion of fresh herbal scent. The first few puffs, I immediately taste a few similarities with Kohlhase & Kopp's Asia 2018. The tobacco even looks a bit like it. But this on has a much stronger lemongrass flavor, while Asia 2018 is far more subtle and has some exotic fruitiness and sweetness. Vauen's Oriental Blend is less sweet and more overtly spice-like/herbal. The Virginia tobacco does give a touch of sweetness though.

Bottom Line: If you like more European style aromatics (less sweet; more fresh, interesting flavors), then you might like this. I kinda like it, and I'm glad I tried this blend.

UPDATE: Literally a week after first trying this blend... I hear that it's going to be discontinued.

Pipe Used: old unmarked Vauen

Age When Smoked: ~1 year old tin

Purchased From: SmokingPipes.com

Similar Blends: Kohlhase & Kopp's Asia 2018.