The eerie, otherworldly sound of a violin breaches the walls between your rooms. As the Mad Fiddler reaches his crescendo, embers take to your leaf, setting your mixture of Virginia, Kasturi, Perique, and black Cavendish ablaze in the darkness.

Blend TypeCigar Leaf Based
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Cigar Leaf, Perique, Virginia
Packaging2oz Tin
Strength
Taste

Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

The woody, earthy, floral and incense-like, lightly spicy and clove-like, mildly sweet cigar filler Indonesian Kasturi is the lead component. The spice reminds me of cinnamon, though that spice isn’t involved here. The tangy dark fruity, earthy, red Virginia plays a support role. The brown sugary black cavendish provides a smoothing sweetness to tame much of the rough edges. The plummy, raisiny, mildly spicy perique is a background player. The strength is a tad short of the medium level, while the taste is a step past medium. The nic-hit is a hair past the center of mild to medium. Won’t bite or get harsh. The broken flake is a little moist, but I saw no need to dry it. Burns cool, clean and a little slow with a deeply rich, sweet and mildly savory and spicy, consistently well balanced flavor that translates to the lingering after taste. Leaves little moisture in the bowl, and requires some relights. The richness of the taste isn’t so much as to prevent this from being an all day smoke.

-JimInks

Perdurabo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perdurabo (26)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

The eerie sounds of Erich Zann's Viola da Gamba call to my ears from the vast Abyss of time, in this room drifts the smoky notes of The Mad Fiddler's grand design. Bready Virginia's wrap themselves around notes of spicy plummy perique. The Katsuri offers a dry cinnamon spice, perhaps a bit of clove. The katsuri also gives the smoke some body, like the cigar leaf does in C&D's Purple Cow. The Black Cavendish adds just the right amount of brown sugar sweetness. The tin note is delicious, Apricots and Cinnamon. It's got a topping but it doesn't really come through in the smoke. May add a bit to the sweetness to this wonderful broken flake. Mad Fiddler Flake is a complex all day smoke, finding itself in my "Smoking Exclusively" category. This is another fine example of Cornell & Diehl tobaccos and how they offer something out there for everybody's taste.

Pipe Used: Cob and Meer

Age When Smoked: 10-10-2017

The Cigar Room Crew Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Cigar Room Crew (1)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Upon opening the tin, the smoker is greeted with the heavenly aroma of dried prunes with a hint of something spicy like cinnamon. The rich, moist, mottled broken-flake promises a heady smoke. The perique in this blend is at the perfect level, present but not overpowering, and the mature Virginia gives this blend a solid foundation, allowing the more delicate spice-like Indonesian Kasturi cigar leaf a stage upon which to shine. This masterwork is not to be missed.

Pipe Used: Savinelli 606

Purchased From: The Cigar Room Shoals

Grovesy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Grovesy (31)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Tin note is like nothing I have run across before. Notes of a craft store during the Christmas season with hints of spices, wood, and fig. Tin note is not off putting in any way, just different, and aromatic in a most intoxicating way. Cut is rubbed out flake resembling many dutch style cavendishes like Amphora. The smoke is fantastic with the cigar leaf never being too overbearing, and the virginias always taking a slight lead. Nic hit is medium to me, and I find MFF to be an excellent smoke in the morning with a cup of coffee. Unlike most C&D blends, this needs some dry time but will reward the smoker with a very pleasant medium bodied smoke. Burns to fine ash with very little dottle and has a wife approved room note. An excellent blend that i have been enjoying all summer and will make a fantastic fall blend as well.

Age When Smoked: 4 Months

Similar Blends: Nothing.

gunner525 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gunner525 (66)

Just cracked a tin of the Fiddler that's been in my cellar for a couple months. The Kasturi is definitely evident carrying the cigar like spicy, earthy, incense like flavors. The Virginias are definitely more of the tangy fruity variety. The Perique ... adds a bit of that spicy Periquey punch. Not sure where it comes from, but also getting a bit of cinnamon flavor. The tin I got was more of a broken flake as opposed to the fully intact bubblegum stick flakes like Orlik Golden Sliced. The blend gives me a warming feeling, so I think this blend will really sing in the colder months.

Pipe Used: Scott Thile Strawberry bent apple

Purchased From: SmokingPipes

Similar Blends: The Kasturi really makes it one of a kind that's worth trying once in your pipe life..

WillBrown Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillBrown (122)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

Another paid sample from the Chicago Pipe Show. I loved sipping this one. It's clear to me there are skilled hands at work here, this is a well constructed blend. The tobacco combinations are interesting. The only fault I can find with it, and this is merely personal taste, is the strength of this blend. It's strong, high in nicotine, and, therefore, not to my liking. I would recommend this blend to any who like stronger tobacco's, but not to those who do not. 2.50 stars.

keep on piping...

Pipe Used: Viprati bent egg

Purchased From: 2018 Chicago Pipe Show

Cornell & Diehl - Mad Fiddler Flake (The Old Ones).

The title of this is missing something. It should be Mad Fiddler 'BROKEN' Flake, well broken at that! So, no rubbing's required, it can just be loaded straight away. Neither does it need any airing.

The smoke has a fairly pungent flavour. The more formidable leaf's the fragrant Kasturi. To begin with the smoke's a little more reminiscent of usual cigar leaf blends, but the fragrant note quickly gains weight, creating an inimitable character. The other tobaccos are much lighter. They give flavour, grass, spice, and sweetness, but are much further behind the cigar leaf. Mad Fiddler' burns well, giving bite free smoke.

Nicotine: medium. Room-note: pleasant.

Mad Fiddler Flake? I like it, but not enough for a full house! Three stars:

Recommended.

Pipe Used: Altinok Lee Van Cleef: Friday Pipe

Age When Smoked: Stamped 10/10/17

Cole Thornton Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cole Thornton (1)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Well, this is the tobacco I've been looking for. It is pleasant, it is full-bodied, it is spicy. Very spicy, if you normally smoke average strong mixtures. It is on the verge of being uncomfortable, but that is exactly what I wanted. "Innsmouth" is also good, but Mad Fiddler Flake is better. And it is not a real flake, it is ready rubbed. I like that.

Pipe Used: Stanwell Poker

moniker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
moniker (153)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

Touting Kasturi for pipe tobacco seems a little like touting Cheese Whiz for steak sandwiches, meaning, neither of these options would be my own first thought. None the less, I decided to try some Mad Fiddler Flake, based on TR opinions and the notion that – somehow - Kasturi was really “cigar leaf”, and given my fairly recent penchant for cigar-type pipe tobacco blends. The tin of Mad Fiddler Flake I popped was dated 04-28-2018. First thing noticed: it’s not flake, at all; rather it’s moist, short ribbons ranging from medium red brown, to dark brown, to black. Initial tin note was brown bread with faint whiffs of prune, baking spices and vinegar, with a trace of tonquin coming up after a couple of hours. As usual, my first bowl went straight from the tin to a pipe, and because of the cut and the moisture I packed it loosely in a large bowl. I’ve since learned that MFF varies pipe to pipe, and according to how it’s smoked. It lights OK when fresh and moist, but it’s better when dried some, IMO, if only because it’s then easier to smoke down. Lit, it starts out gentle and smooth, a rich, sweet, deep, fragrant Cavendish leading with brown sugar, molasses, and floral overtones. I like to take it slow, savoring the rich, sweet clouds of smoke, and at 1/4 the Perique and the Kasturi/cigar-ish filler leaf come up, with prunes and increasing spiciness that includes very faint clove and slightly musty, earthy, cigar spices. At this point the Cavendish fades but still adds body and ensures there’s plenty of smoke. Just as the spices start to assert themselves apart, the VAs kick in. They seem to be sweet, earthy, air-cured browns and some deep and piquant, stoved red. As the VA sugars rise they are met by bitter tannins from the Kasturi that keep my attention, along with souring from the Perique. Now MFF “turns” again, re-balancing itself just as its component varietals increase in intensity, continuing a smooth if not seamless transition from mild to more than medium in both strength and tastes. The entire time all this is happening the scents remain a delightful mix of brown bread, exotic spices, cigar, and meadow flowers, and all of this is decidedly of the tobacco ilk, and very much so for the last ½ of a bowl. For better or for worse, the “myriad” effects I’ve described seem to diminish with rest time; but the overall profile, etc. hold true. Strength is just over medium. Tastes build from just over mild to just over medium. Although some of the side streams are quite pleasant, the Kasturi kicks the room note up a notch to “tolerable”. Be aware, as well, before approaching significant others, that MF not only ghosts a pipe but it stinks up one’s hair and clothing, too. It’s probably best smoked at the tobacconist’s or outside for this reason. For all that, I quite enjoy the aftertaste, which is a lingering fade out of the best of the end of the smoke.

Of course, the best way to be really good and wrong is to assert oneself with great confidence. Still, on the strength of my experience, I am betting that Mad Fiddler Flake is a prime candidate for cellaring. I happen to like it a lot when it’s young; but I expect it will yet mature into something even better. 4 stars, as is.

Update, 12-07-2018: I just smoked some jar-aged MFF in a WWII era Comoy’s that I use for “cigar blends”. Oddly enough, it was not cigar that I got but a well-melded blend of savory, semi-exotic spices underpinned by something along the lines of Semois, with a perfect balance of red and brown VAs for body. Just glorious! I should have 5 tins of this iteration in reserve, for the inevitable time when this blend is altered or discontinued! Another case of hindsight as bitch! Here’s another one for my Favorites list, anyway!

Pipe Used: various briars

Age When Smoked: Fresh from young tin and from jars.

Purchased From: Liberty Tobacco

BingCrosby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BingCrosby (102)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Full Strong

One thing cornell and diehl do amazingly well is creating a very broad range of different types of blends.. something for everyone. Mad fiddler flake is a very stout blend.. it reminded me of two things.. firstly, it smokes almost like a lighter version of a gawith and hoggarth rope tobacco.. but it also resembles kajun kake but with cigar leaf added and maybe a little less perique.. earthy, spicy, full almost leathery boldness.. these are all subjective but I think most would agree it's a flavorful smoke.. my first time trying this particular cigar leaf.. it sure is distinctive.. might be on the harsh side for some people.. but if you desire a big thick flavor I think this would be something to try.. I occasionally like this sort of thing.. not an all day or every day for me.. but I think I will certainly enjoy this periodically. The tin note kind of indicates a topping but hard to distinguish during the smoke.

HabaneroHardy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HabaneroHardy (172)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Unnoticeable

I bought this at our pipe club the other day and have been smoking it some throughout this week. Upon opening the tin dated 042518 I was hit with a very strong pungent smell that some other reviewers have described as spicy. The broken flake was very moist. For not being an aromatic this sure was pretending to be one so far. This has cigar leaf in it and since I am not a tobacco leaf expert, I googled Kasturi and one of the first things that popped up was deer musk. My first thought was I have had Musk Cologne but never in a pipe tobacco. I searched a little further and find this link, https://www.wholeaf.com/wholesale-tobacco/tobacco-leaves/cigar-tobacco-filler-leaf/indonesian-kasturi-cigar-filler/. Kasturi is an Indonesian cigar filler leaf that is primarily used to produce local Kretek (clove) cigarettes as stated on this website. So, with that dilemma resolved I fired it up. The tin note does not transpire much into the smoke but I also read this could be a ghoster so I used pipes that I was comfortable with in taking the chance. This to me is an odd blend and though I am sure good quality leaf and blending expertise I cannot begin a love affair with this one. So, I am giving this a two star only because I just don’t dig it that much. Glad I got to try it I may add but that is as far as it goes.

Pipe Used: Ones I did not care if got ghosted.

Age When Smoked: 1.5 years

Similar Blends: One of a kind..

stripping_welsh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
stripping_welsh (1)
Very Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

So my first review.

I had this tin imported for me by friend who was visiting USA, as C&D blends are almost impossible to get in EU. I saved it for some special occassion, which showed, so I popped the tin with a new pipe.

First the tin aroma - to me? Heavenly. I have to oppose those that say prunes or apricots. What I smell (confirmed by wife, and I did not tell her my impression so it´s 100% her, and she can smell things I can only dream of) is sour cherry liquor pralines - sour cherries, that tangy smell of alcohol, dark chocolate, some spice, the cinnamon sounds about right, but also some more spicy tones.

To me this translated to the taste a bit, which is definitely fine by me. The smoke was nice, had to relight, but well I was impatient - out of the tin,this needed some drying time.

There´s base of virgina notes, with the peculiar taste of ... I´d say the Kasturi - something between cigar, incense, and smell of spice on tongue, assisted by the Perique in the background that adds the amount of pepper and dried fruit taste.

It got a bit rought during the end, but that I assume was the wet tobacco - as stated above, I should have given it more drying time.

Overall, I really like this blend, but be aware. I´m used to tobacco, but this one kicked my arse - sometimes, when not in good condition (hydrated and not empty stomach) I get this, and I was light headed etc. It was pretty strong.

Pipe Used: VJ Pipes Brother

Badmedicine Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Badmedicine (21)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Hmm... A most Eldritch blend. VaPer-ish, but not really. There is pepper, there is stewed fruit and bread, but there is something... Other. Sweet spices, leather, and a sweet woodiness wend in and out. Perhaps that's the Kasturi? Refuses to bite, but the spice can get a tad overwhelming if pushed too fast. The room note is something you will have to try to judge; my wife is not a fan, but many customers at my part-time job (A B&M that sadly doesn't carry this) adore it. Strength is another factor that can be polarizing; this is a stronger Tobacco (though not in the same category as 1792, there are notable similarities in the taste), and one just he sure to fill your belly and a glass of water at hand. I cannot determine if there is in fact a top-note; the tin note is intoxicating, rather like a fine holiday fruitcake. Because of this, there may be some added top note, although it may be the combination of the tobaccos. Regardless, this has become my new favorite of The Old Ones, and is becoming one of my favored blends; enough so to cellar en masse. Much like the manic notes of Erich Zann, it is at the same time alien, unsettling, and deeply fascinating.

Pipe Used: Al Pascia RC, Nording Royal Flush

Age When Smoked: Fresh to one year

Purchased From: Hearth (local B&M), SmokingPipes

Similar Blends: Not much. It's kinda-sorta a VaPer, but not really..

DragonBriars Josh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DragonBriars Josh (3)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

If you like complex blends that tend to make other people run, this one is for you. The tin note immediately made me think of SG 1782. There is a little.something extra there in the fruits and spices department. It smells and tastes so familiar one one hand, but then you can only come close.to describing which actual fruits you taste. Plum? Maybe. Prune? Closer but not quite so dried. Spices are close to cinnamon, but not really. Whiskey soaked raisins? Maybe. Bready for sure. None of these flavors can be 100% identifiable which is what makes it so enjoyable. There is a background tangy vinegar or yeasty feel like drinking a porter. Earthy and damp like walking in a mossy hardwood forest. Straight from the tin with no dry time it lights right up. Stays lit and has a nice slow and cool burn. Baby soft on the palate, but by no means mushy or goopy. Just very soft and round. The complexity is amazing as throughout the bowl it brings you on a roller coaster of flavors and sensations in your mouth. Whatever you do, I wouldn't dry it very much. It loses something if you do. Have your self a cold beverage on hand and enjoy the journey. Deep narrow bowls are best.

Pipe Used: No name meerchaum, Dragon Briars various designs

Similar Blends: Sam Gawith 1792.