A strange piece of jewelry sends you on a quest down the accursed and decrepit streets of Innsmouth. Armed with this singular blend of Virginias, Katerini, Perique, and black Cavendish, it's your duty to uncover the truth. The Deep truth.

Blend TypeVirginia Based
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia
Packaging2oz Tin
Strength
Taste
Unnoticeable, Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable

3.7

The light and darker Virginias offer a bit of citrus, some dark fruit, grass and earth, and a drop or two of honey. They form the base of the blend. The rather smoky, woody sweet, lightly spicy and floral Katerini starts out just behind the Virginias, and take a small lead just before the half way mark. The raisiny, plumy, spicy perique is an important condiment. The brown sugary black cavendish adds a smoothness in the background. The strength is just past the center of mild to medium and almost reaches the medium level in the second half of the bowl. The taste level is consistently medium. The nic-hit is in the center of mild to medium. No chance of bite or harness, and barely has an occasional rough edge. Burns cool and clean at a moderate pace with a sweet and mildly savory, woody, rich flavor that translates to the lingering after taste. Burns to ash with little effort on the part of the smoker. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and needs an average number of relights. Can be an all day smoke for the veteran, and perhaps for the less experienced as well.

-JimInks

PuffPuffLive Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PuffPuffLive (26)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

I’m really enjoying this blend. I might just make it a favorite.

When I cracked the tin, I got a sweet cocoa note. The tin note was so sweet I almost thought this blend was supposed to be an aromatic. After an hour or two of airing out, it transitioned into a natural va/per/or blend similar to McC’s Tudor Castle or Pease’s Cairo. This blend has a beautiful ribbon cut that almost rival’s Dunhill’s, and a moisture content that is ready to smoke after a few minutes of dry time. The smoke is fantastic. It starts with woody and spicy Perique and oriental notes, with a subtle sweetness. After mid-bowl, the sweet and tangy Virginia’s take over. I’m almost through my first tin, and I’m ready to order more. I haven’t had a blend grab me this quickly in awhile. I’m looking forward to seeing if it stands the test of time. Four stars so far...

Pipe Used: Various briars

manno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
manno (45)
Mild None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

It's late and I'm pushing my 70th b'day. Short post. I've been smoking a pipe for almost 50 years. This is my favorite tobacco ever. My tastes have moved towards the light Balkan blends, then towards the same mixtures without any latakia. I need about 5 tobaccos (though I may have 500+ stored) -- Provost, H&Hs, Red R., etc. Anyway, my favorite tobacco from first light to finishing puff.

Age When Smoked: one year

HabaneroHardy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HabaneroHardy (187)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Unnoticeable

Innsmouth, from Wikipedia is a fictional town created by American author H. P. Lovecraft as a setting for one of his horror stories. From http://www.sekesa.com, “The Katerini Tobacco variety is known to be one of the finest in the world. It grows in very few regions of the world, one of which is Katerini region of Greece. Katerini Tobacco belongs to the "flavoring" tobacco types and is used by tobacco industries mainly to add flavor.” Now that the history lesson is out of the way, on with the review. I bought this tin the other day dated 080818 which gave it a good year of age already. The tin note is a strong, sweet, slightly sour-ish smell. It appears to be your typical ribbon cut and is easy to pack into your pipe. The smoke is of a sweet, cigarette (Turkish) taste that is really light tasting to the palate, in other words, no Latakia in this blend. You can really taste the Katerini and I find this one a refreshing change of pace. Kind of in a category of its own. I might even buy a couple for down the road. If you are looking for something different and like Macedonian leaf give this one a try.

Pipe Used: Briar

Age When Smoked: 1 year

PaulMiami Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PaulMiami (6)
Mild None Detected Very Mild Unnoticeable

This tobacco is a mystery to me. The tin note at the open was obvious Virginia. No fruit or honey subtle notes as discussed with others. The tobacco is ribbon cut and not moist, but just right for packing. It has a mild wood fire taste and aroma. It is a suspiciously mild smoke. It completely baffles me as it is neither strong, nor scented , nor flavored. The retro-hale reinforced that this is a mild blend of tobaccos with no attempt to introduce a top note casing. I can't call it an aromatic. The nicotine strength was apparent. It would actually make a good choice for cigarette rollers.... UPDATE.... This tobacco needs to 'open up' and after a few bowls I have come to really enjoy the smoke. I change my rating to 3 stars.

Pipe Used: New Molina Barrasso Unfinished - Bent Rhodesian

Age When Smoked: recent purchase

Purchased From: TobaccoPipes.com

Similar Blends: the only thing I can remotely suggest is that this would make a fine blend for cigarette rollers..

MAddMAnn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MAddMAnn (14)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I’m a fan of Lovecrafts work and the work he inspired. Shadows over Insmouth is my favorite of his books and my recommendation to anyone looking to read their first Lovecraft. It’s fun to have a tobacco themed in this universe but was pleased with how great it was. Honestly a tobacco from a dying seaside Massachusetts town of fish people and rotting buildings should not taste this great!

moniker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
moniker (155)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

Bourbon and vanilla with your Orientals? Me neither; or so I thought before I tried this blend. My tin of C&D’s Innsmouth was just over a year old when I popped it. It smelled like cocoa laced granola, with attitude, with some vanilla, but no "Bourbon". The moist, short ribbons range from khaki to light and medium reddish browns, to medium and very dark brown, nearly black, reflecting the listed varietals. I’ve had no trouble with loading, lighting or smoking it right down, although it is very sooty, so I recommend having a couple of pipe cleaners at hand when smoking Innsmouth. For me, the “right pipe” for Innsmouth is a large-ish one that’s free from Latakia or DFK, and that’s also had a prep bowl or two run through it. This way, there are nice, subtle side notes along with the main themes. If I hadn’t been told otherwise, I would have supposed Innsmouth contains some codger-ish Burley, because it is slightly floral and earthy in that way, and there is also some tannic sharpness and bitterness, not overwhelming, but “bracing”, for sure. Absent this, I look next to the VA’s, which seem to be stout, also vaguely musty and earthy, a little grassy, and more grain-y. After the pipe is prepped, there is a nice balance of savory, woody kabob and sour Middle Eastern bakery spices from the Orientals and some sour, spicy prune from the Perique, which pretty much stays melded with the Orientals throughout the smoke. The Cav may well smooth things, but “smooth” is not the first word that comes to mind for Innsmouth, as it is rather “prickly”, or “sparkly”, through the smoke. The Cav also amplifies by contrast the sourness from the Orientals while adding some sweetness, and it may well be the source of the cocoa, which fades considerably soon after the tin is opened. As for the "Bourbon and vanilla sauce", it is very restrained, indeed, but whatever it really is it remains throughout the smoke in fragrance and in tastes, and it works for me, reversing my initial misgivings. Despite Innsmouth burns quickly, I leave it fairly loose in the bowl, in deference to the Orientals, and I’ve gotten to where I puff away, once it’s well lit, pressing but holding on to the complexities. For me, smoking it like this, the strength is past medium, and the tastes are also past medium. I like the room note, but it’s probably enjoyed by pipe smokers only. The aftertaste is a fairly fast trailing off of the best of the smoke. FWIW, I suspect this blend will age well, and rest certainly has not hurt it, so far. Rounded up to 4 stars.

Pipe Used: large, selected and prepped briars

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Purchased From: Liberty Tobacco

Similar Blends: It's not "like" GLP's Montgomery, but I think of Montgomery when I smoke Innsmouth..