Scandinavian Tobacco Group (STG) Erinmore Mixture

(2.27)
The recipe for Erinmore Mixture is a closely guarded secret which is revealed to only two people in each generation. It is known, however, that the tobaccos are selected from the premier tobacco growing regions of the world, naturally sweetened bright Virginia is hand blended with cool-smoking black cavendish to produce the unique flavor and distinctive aroma of Erinmore. More than that we cannot reveal. A mellow aromatic tobacco with a cool taste and a slow-burning easy-smoking style. TIN DESCRIPTION: Erinmore Mixture is a slow-burning blend of Virginia, Burley and Black Cavendish tobaccos.
Notes: Produced by Murray's Sons until 2005.

Details

Brand Scandinavian Tobacco Group (STG)
Blended By Scandinavian Tobacco Group

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

2.27 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 31 - 40 of 65 Reviews
May 18, 2010 Medium Mild Medium Pleasant
I have long been a fan of Erinmore Flake (new version). I do have a long-opened tin probably from the late 70s, and it is almost smokeable! I really want to try the Murray's era from an unopened tin that has not degraded so much. Well, I did score a tin of Murray's period Erinmore Mixture on Ebay that a reputable authority has dated for me to probably the late 80s. I have smoked a few bowls, and though I don't like it as much as the Orlik version of the flake, am happy to have it. The topping is different than that of the newer flake, but that is all I have to compare it to. It seems more flowery than fruity. I'm also not sure I like the Virginias in the Mixture as much as I like those in the flake. Still, a nice smoke, and a taste of history, even if it is still fairly recent history.
Apr 27, 2010 Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant
I preferred this tobacco from all fo the other supermarket brands that I have tried. It burns fairly quickly and needs to be dried a little first.

If you want to put a cake on your bowl quickly then this will do it for you but is an enjoyable smoke. Leaves me with a nice warm aftertaste that makes me look forward to the next bowl.

A thumbs up from me.
Mar 31, 2010 Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant
I am not an expert on aromatics, only smoke them once in a while. I've read many rather unpleasent reviews of this mixture but have had a good experience personally so I thought I would add my two cents. It would seem that the mixture is quite a different beast than the flake version but I can't tell a huge difference. Yes the casing is one that you either love or hate but once I set the match to it I did not notice it at all. For some time now I've been on a search for the tobacco that my old Sunday School teacher smoked, low these many years ago. It always seemed pleasant and comforting and is one reason why I started smoking a pipe in college (that and Jeremy Brett's expert portrayal of Doyle's famous consulting detective). I believe that I've found it....

Regarding the acutal experience of smoking this blend, it reminds me very much of Peterson's University flake (taste and aroma). While the moisture content is quite substantial, I did not notice any bite after leaving it to dry for about 10 minutes, the flavors of the Va's and Burleys were quite noticable. A wonderful surprise for me since I smoke English/Balkan blends and can't seem to taste any tobacco flavor in most aromatics. The black cavendish adds a spicy note which is very nice towards the end of the bowl. All in all a good change of pace for me and I would recommend this to someone looking for a nice blend for the wife but still would like to taste the tobacco. No "gravy" or gloop left behind that some previous reviewers noted. No ghosting in the pipe either.

On a side note, my tin was blended by Stokkebye and I've never had a bad Stokkebye blend. A solid 3 stars.
Dec 12, 2009 Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant
the very first tobacco that i bought and smoked,from the moment i opend the tin all them years ago i have never forgotten that aroma...in fact i asked the wife to call in to the smoke shop in our town to buy me a pouch only a few days ago because i wanted to give it another go,i was not disappointed,to those that have not tried this blend...do so asap.its great.
Jun 20, 2009 Medium Mild Medium Pleasant
I thought I was buying the flake, but ordered the ribbon mixture by mistake.

I don't like the burn characteristics of ribbons. I have dried it out, but it still burns like a ribbon...too fast, and with condensation. However, this is quality tobacco, and I don't think the topping is overdone. It is cool for a ribbon, and I get no tongue bite. I have smoked one star mixtures, and this is not one of them.

The tin aroma is, to me, nice. VA with a mild topping. In the bowl I get a VA with a mild and unique topping, not at all objectionable. This is quite good...for a ribbon. I will not be buying more of this mixture, but I will order the flake. If you like the "convenience" of ribbons, I can recommend this.
May 10, 2009 Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant
Well now: I've been a pipe smoker for 22 years (since age of 41), and I never used to like this mixture. Always found the taste off-putting. However (and this is not the only example of how, to my surprise, I have re-visited old tobacco dislikes and suddenly really liked them), I am really enjoying the pouch I bought a couple of days ago. This is the first time I have smoked Erinmore for at least two years. I find the fruity smell of the mix in the pouch to be atractive; the flavour of the mix when smoked very pleasant; it is a satisfying tobacco; the aroma is very nice indeed.

It is also quite extraordinary, in that I've smoked my way through this pouchful almost non-stop for 2 days, but there isn't the slightest hint of bite, and there is no unpleasant tongue or mouth coating. My only complaint is that it smokes rather too fast, but then that's always the case with aromatics.

I'm really enjoying this stuff, and it makes life a lot easier, because I've had the same conversion with Gold Block and Player's Whiskey, so now I have got three extra proprietary brands (I was always able to get on with St Bruno, though I've gone off that for quite a while, too strong), widely available in local shops, to keep me going. I used to have to always order my tobacco on the net, because I couldn't get on with the proprietaries, but now I don't have that problem.
Feb 16, 2009 Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant
Even after reading so many negative appraisals of this old mixture, I decided to have a go at it ? albeit a very prejudiced one.

The first bowls tasted between good to unremarkable. From beginning to end, it always tasted the same; no "crescendo" type of experience, such as the ones to be found in more sophisticated mixtures. Always the same flavor and aroma of pineapple-cased virginia, very often disturbed by a foul tar aftertaste.

After smoking half a tin, I felt I had had enough. I was about to give it up definitively? Until I tried it in a filter pipe (oh, that purist's horror!).

For once in a lifetime, the advertisements in the filter's package seemed to tell the truth: the tar taste was removed from the smoke! I kept on piping until the tin was empty. What a pleasure it was! Not an extraordinary one, but a very decent one nevertheless. I'll buy it again, even if its not among my best choices.
Dec 20, 2008 Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
a blend of obvious bright citrusy virginia that have natural fruity sweetness to it (not the aromatic sweetness indeed)..many swore by detecting casings of pineapple and fruits in it but to me its a straight virginia and unflavored cavendish. mellow, mild and could easly be an all day smoke. packs easy and smokes even easier with no goop or tongue bite unless mistreated badly. the aroma was only acceptable to fellow smokers however,i dont think its the right choice to please mrs.right!
Aug 05, 2008 Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable
Unique and traditional tobacco that is good any time of day. It is not for everyday use, a tin in a month is good balance. It is highly recommended and fine proof is that this name lasts for long time...

Addendum:

This blend is miles from this what it was once upon the time when the original company made it... Sic transit gloria mundi.

My rate: 3.0
May 30, 2007 Mild to Medium Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant
A strongly scented ribbon cut, with the excellent quality Virginias that make up the flake somewhat watered down by a bit of Cavendish. For this reason, the mixture is considerably milder in tobacco flavour, and much stronger in terms of the essence.

Smokes a little hot, I find, which the flake never does, and can bite, which isn't a problem with the flake. Smoke it slow though, and you can really get to know the Erinmore essence.

It isn't bad, but for a more serious smoke that you can really get your teeth into, I recommend the flake.

target="_blank"