Scandinavian Tobacco Group (STG) Erinmore Mixture

(2.27)
The recipe for Erinmore Mixture is a closely guarded secret which is revealed to only two people in each generation. It is known, however, that the tobaccos are selected from the premier tobacco growing regions of the world, naturally sweetened bright Virginia is hand blended with cool-smoking black cavendish to produce the unique flavor and distinctive aroma of Erinmore. More than that we cannot reveal. A mellow aromatic tobacco with a cool taste and a slow-burning easy-smoking style. TIN DESCRIPTION: Erinmore Mixture is a slow-burning blend of Virginia, Burley and Black Cavendish tobaccos.
Notes: Produced by Murray's Sons until 2005.

Details

Brand Scandinavian Tobacco Group (STG)
Blended By Scandinavian Tobacco Group

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

2.27 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 11 - 20 of 65 Reviews
Jul 15, 2014 Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant
I bought a packet of this in Derry last April and found it somewhat wet to smoke. I left it in a drawer for about 3 months and gave it another go. I found it to be very tasty with no wetness. A very pleasant smoke. I don't think it deserves the bad reviews it gets here. I will definitely buy more of this blend(sadly not available in southern Ireland)
Pipe Used: Meerschaum
PurchasedFrom: Newsagent in Derry NI
Oct 06, 2010 Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant
Lately, I have been smoking Erinmore Mixture in order to compare it with Erinmore Flake. First, let me say that the appearance of the Mixture differs from the Flake in several ways. The mixture is not a broken flake as some have stated. It is a classic ribbon cut, medium in length. With the exception of some black cavendish sprinkled throughout the mixture - and not overdone I might add - the tobacco is noticeably lighter in color than that of the flake. The tin aroma of the Mixture is similar to the flake, but milder overall. I also did not notice much of the incense-laden lemon scent that I experience with the flake. No licorice presence nor anisette this time, but as with the flake, it's note is hard to describe. More fruity than floral - but not fruity in the traditional sense. The state of freshness was just right for packing and lighting - actually easier and with fewer re-lights than with the flake. There was, however, a bit of gurgle that required the use of a pipe cleaner on the average of once or twice a smoke. I expect this to disappear as my tin dries out a bit. The tastes were similar. However, the flake has more depth of flavor, has that very agreeable flowery hint, and makes for a stouter smoke. Like the flake, the tin aroma translated into the smoke, but again like the flake, remained in the background. The Virginia flavor was, from what I can tell, coming from a minimally stoved (if stoved at all) Virginia. It burned slowly and I was rewarded with a cool, pleasurable, and tasty smoking experience. It was never cloying and I would not classify this as an aromatic in the American sense. It was true tobacco flavor from first puff to last, burning to a medium gray ash, and without any bitterness. It does, however, smoke hotter than the flake. Overall, I tend to prefer the flake as it is fuller in taste and stronger overall. I also love the tin and size of the flakes which make for easy carrying and loading. That said, Erinmore Mixture still deserves a solid recommended.

As a side note, my flake tins do not have any mention of Murray Sons & Co. Ltd., whereas the mixture (50gm) tins do. Both their labels say, "Made in Denmark for Peter Stokkebye Tobaksfabrik A/S." I suspect Orlik is the blender.

UPDATE 1-4-11: Tonight on my way to teach an evening class at college, I loaded up an Ascorti New Deer with EM. It was below freezing outside, but inside my car for the 20 minute drive, it was toasty warm. I had one of the best smokes ever from that pipe filled with EM. The taste and resulting "car note" were both beyond description.
Nov 07, 2020 Mild Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable
This has a very mediocre score on here, which discouraged me from trying it for a very long time. I finally got it a few days ago and wow! Unique flavour and burns great.
Pipe Used: Brigham Voyager
PurchasedFrom: Local shop
Jul 14, 2019 Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant
For an aromatic, this is an extremely lovely summertime smoke. The almost juicy fruit gum flavor gives it a delicious flavor. However, unlike most aromatics, the juicy fruit, citrus flavor isn't the one flavor. While smoking this, I could taste the Burley and Virginia. Overall I would call this smoke a win.
Pipe Used: Savinelli author
PurchasedFrom: Twin's Smoke Shop (Londonderry, NH)
Mar 28, 2018 Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
I hail from not too far from where this was originally produced until about 13 years ago, and have managed to get a tin of the original blend but I’m not sure if the seal is still intact and I haven’t the heart to open it to find out. Apparently that is the good stuff… Bought the new stuff instead!

The aroma from the tin is distinctly of Virginia with some indefinable fruit fragrance. Good so far.

Packing and lighting was straightforward and revealed quite strong flavour tobacco with subtle citrus and floral tones and a hint of orchard fruit sweetness but I don’t think a pineapple has been near this.

It burns well with plumes of smoke, which I like, but without much heat and certainly no bite. A couple of relights were needed throughout the bowl and the tobacco reduces to a fine ash with just a little dottle. To me it became a little sickly and perfumey towards the end of a large bowl but found a smaller bowl more satisfying. Heavy but pleasant (not particularly fruity) Virginia room note.

Would like to try this again and make comparison to the pre-2005 version if I can bring myself to open it…
Dec 23, 2017 Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant
Whenever I feel like easy and not too fancy smoke I reach for the Erinmore mixture jar. I can taste the citrusy and some pineapple half way to the bowl. If you smoke it fast it definitely gets hot and bites but if you sip on it you will taste the fruityness till the end. My half bent pipe always gargle when I smoke this mixture.
Age When Smoked: New from the tin
May 04, 2017 Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
The Erinmore Mixture is a very interesting blend, because your smell are so fresh and citric, but after opened this tobacco loses your freshness... but stand still so aromatic and mellow. I think this tobacco are for all day time. Recommended
May 04, 2017 Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
The more I smoke this tobacco the more it grows in my appreciation. It has a sweetness that is subtle and is maintained throughout the bowl. As to what the flavoring is I am not good at that type of thing. All I care about is that I enjoy its flavor. Its sweetness is accented by a spiciness that is faint in the background. It packs and lights easily burning cleanly to the bottom of the bowl leaving a fine ash. Tobacco tastes are very subjective and as I have noted this blend has been rated all over the place. Let me just say that I like it and I shall buy more in the future.
Pipe Used: Several Large Bowled Briars
PurchasedFrom: Pipes and Cigars
Age When Smoked: 1 month
Oct 23, 2016 Mild Mild Medium Very Pleasant
There are few aromatic blends that I like. Erinmore Mixture in one of these. Not too sweet and with its characteristic, pleasant pineapple note, it's a cool and mild smoke, perferct for the summer morning smokes. 4,0/5 in my personal rating system.
PurchasedFrom: New Smoke, Milano (Italy)
Jul 14, 2016 Medium Medium Medium Pleasant
It seems that this tobacco is some kind of classic isn´t it? By opening the tin you are greeted by a puff of pineapple but that quickly fades and leaves a sweet fruty bouquet. The taste offers lots of sweetness and there´s allways nice virginia shimmering through that can also give a little bite here and there. Not much but it reminds you that you smoke tobacco and no candy stuff. The pineapple is almost undetectable here. The tobacco burns smooth right to the end of the bowl. I recomend this blend as nothing special but it is a perfect everyday smoke and for some reason i never get tired of it...

target="_blank"