Scandinavian Tobacco Group (STG) Erinmore Mixture

(2.27)
The recipe for Erinmore Mixture is a closely guarded secret which is revealed to only two people in each generation. It is known, however, that the tobaccos are selected from the premier tobacco growing regions of the world, naturally sweetened bright Virginia is hand blended with cool-smoking black cavendish to produce the unique flavor and distinctive aroma of Erinmore. More than that we cannot reveal. A mellow aromatic tobacco with a cool taste and a slow-burning easy-smoking style. TIN DESCRIPTION: Erinmore Mixture is a slow-burning blend of Virginia, Burley and Black Cavendish tobaccos.
Notes: Produced by Murray's Sons until 2005.

Details

Brand Scandinavian Tobacco Group (STG)
Blended By Scandinavian Tobacco Group

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

2.27 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 181 - 190 of 198 Reviews
Oct 12, 2007 Mild Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
I just bought myself a 50g tin of this and lit my first bowl. I am SOOO happy about one thing, I DIDN'T BUY THE 100g TIN!!! The smell out of the can was OK. It reminded me of a watered down, fruitier version of Blue Note (Blue note is WAAAYYY better than this for flavor AND aroma). It tastes a little "fruity" and a little bit medicineish for my taste. not much to write home about.

AND WHERE IN THE H--- IS THE BLACK CAVENDISH!!?? At least If I would have gotten the 100g tin, I would have got more B/C. My tin had about 3 specks in it.

The main positive is that it is "non smoker friendly", but I smoke for ME, not everyone else.

I wouldn't say that it's HORRIBLE, I have tasted worse, but I have also tasted BETTER. It is good quality tobacco, just not really my thing. Give me some Mac-baren's or some Blue Note.
Aug 24, 2007 Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant
Erinmore Mixture is not bad at all, but i definitively prefer the flake than the mixture.

I imagine the composition is the same, and the casing is also the same.

Long, medium broad cut of golden, brown, red and black leaves, topped with a unique pineapple casing gives this mixture a particular taste indeed.

The smoking of the bakkie is somehow slowed down by the casing, I think, and the overall smoking time is a bit long.

This is non smoker friendly, and the bakkie gets stronger past mid-bowl.

All depending of the level of casing and the moisture level, this baby can smoke dry or incline to the wet side.

An overall good smoke, but not one that I would smoke on a regular basis...

I wouldn't recommend it for any beginner, though; you need to get some hair under your chin, first. 🙂
Reviewed By Date Rating Strength Flavoring Taste Room Note
Aug 24, 2007 Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable
I have tried the flake version of this and as you will see from my review of it I was not impressed, however I cannot in any way see any better in the mixture. Firstly a common problem with both the flake and it would seem even more so the mixture is actually keeping the stuff burning. Its one of thoese smokes that you could do with a vacum pump on the end for a few minuets to get alight. And it doesn't stay alight either. When it does you have to puff like mad to keep it going and even then is their any taste? Not really? Rotten pineapple comes to mind!

I have just thrown a whole 50g of the stuff on the fire thats how it has made me feel. For those of you who used to drink cheap cider as a student you will remember what its like to get the ultimate hangover on cheap drink, well this is the same. A lump in my throat at the moment and it was over an hour ago that I tried to smoke the stuff.

Do your self a favour...dont bother with this stuff.
Jul 03, 2007 Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant
Like many secrets passed down through the generations, Erinmore Mixture should not have been aired in public.

This stuff is near impossible to light without a prolonged period of drying and this effort does not pay-off in the slightest. This is a near flat blend that I would not recommend to anyone that I have to speak to again.

I gave this blend the obligatory three bowls before giving up on it. If you find yourself in the same situation, and you don't currently need an air freshener (a function that it is suited to), then try pressure steaming it for 3 hours and jarring for at least a month - you'll actually end up with something pleasant.

Review based on the 50g pouch, which is still in production and available in the UK.
Apr 13, 2007 Medium Medium Medium Tolerable
I recently bought a tin for the first time, and noticed the pineapple aroma upon opening. The tobacco itself was very moist, too moist. My first pipefuls were non descript, but the high quality shines through.

The other day I smoked this in a Kaywoodie briar (no stinger) and the mellow Virginia came out. I also smoked this in a cob with equally favorable results. I think aging does this tobacco a world of good. The unfavorable reviews may result from a too fresh tin.

My advice: Dry it out and try again.
Feb 25, 2007 Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant
When I started pipe smoking this was one of the tobaccos on my "to try" list. I remembered people smoking it years ago and at the time thought it smelled good. My first review on here about it was pretty scathing as the first three or four bowlfuls of it were fairly harsh and peppery but this tobacco requires perseverance and it really does grow on you.

A week after my first attempt at smoking it I returned to the pouch of Erinmore and found I liked it solely due to it's unique taste. Fast forward a couple of weeks and Erinmore is now one of my favourites and I'm alternating it with my other staple - McConnell Glen Piper. Who knows it may even push GP out of the equation altogether. I'm aware that most Erinmore smokers smoke nothing else. I reckon they put something in the mixture...

One thing that all reviewers are correct about is the fact that this stuff stains your pipe(s) so you need to dedicate pipes to it.

For those interested, my initial (abbreviated) review is below :

"This stuff is truly dreadful and you cannot get rid of the taste even after smoking only four bowlfuls. To me, it has a really peppery taste that irritates the back of my nose! almost as if the main ingredient was sneezing powder! I've tried smoking it at different times of the day but that doesn't make any difference. It doesn't get any better no matter how far down the bowl you smoke it. I just don't know why anyone would smoke this stuff for pleasure. Also, I don't detect any of the attractive room note I so fondly remember...

Not recommended and it will ruin your pipe. Does smell nice in the pouch though - a bit like Earl Grey tea. No pineapple I'm afraid, that's an urban myth I reckon."
Feb 15, 2007 Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant
I have seen this blend take quite a bit of harsh criticism on this site - some of which I find extremely unfair.

First things first: This is an AROMATIC. If you are an aromatics man then it is OK for you. Personally, I prefer it to many other "widely available" aromatics I have tried. I do not object to its room note and I do not think that it will annoy me so much if it "stays forever in my pipes" - as long as they are my pipes devoted to aromatics.

Second: If you do not puff very agressively, it will not burn particularly hot etc. I have had some very enjoyable smokes with this.

In terms of aroma etc I would not think that it stands out particularly. Many other aromatics are similar to this. It burns cooler compared to them, IMHO.

In terms of cost: In my area it comes to around 11EURO/50g pouch. Compared to Borkum Riff and Captain Black which are about 13-14 EURO per 50g pouch it is clearly preferable. (I would not mind the extra cost for some higher quality aromatics like W.O. LARSEN Signature - which is about 28EURO/100g tin). On the other hand, there exist tolerable aromatics that can be bought for less than 7 EURO /50g pouch (Skandinavik, Amphora, Clan) and quite nice aromatics that can be bought in the range of 8 to 10 EURO/50g pouch (SAIL, Mac Baren, and slightly more expensive CALUME). Some of them even have more distinct personality.

CONCLUSION: If you like AROMATICS, this blend is recommended for what it is, although it may not be a best buy. If you do not like AROMATICS, then do not bother with this.
May 01, 2006 Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
This past Saturday, I went into a new B&M and found one tin of Erinmore Mixture. This was to be my first foray into the world of the tin. Upon opening the tin, my first impression was " damn, I spent $8.50 for this?" I loaded a pipe with it nevertheless, and was greeted with a strange flavor. I smoked the bowl and decided I would finish the tin, but would not buy more. Today, I opened the tin and let it air for about an hour and a half. Then I loaded a pipe, and WOW, what a difference. This turned out to be a very good smoke. The flavor of the tobacco was not hidden by the casing. My pipe stayed cool. I smoked the entire bowl, and was ready for another. My recommendation for Erinmore Mixture? If you have some that you tried and do not like, send it this way. I have several pipes that I can use to dispose of it properly.
Mar 13, 2006 Very Strong Medium to Strong Very Full Very Pleasant
Yuk! It almost ruined my pipe. Avoid this along with DaVinci, Liberty,and Sam Malloy.Unless you like to smoke Hai Karate in your pipe,steer clear of this blend!!!!!!!!!1
Sep 08, 2005 Medium Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
Erinmore mixture... pipe tobacco.. or is it? here's what i did with it after several failed attempts at smoking it with a pipe (yeah several times.. being stubborn not so good sometimes)

while its aroma pleasant before you light it, once you do start smoking... well.. lets say it simple; after a pipefull smoking you start to feel a huge lump at your throat.. as if you are trying to swallow a pice of not well chewed bread.. ah! and let me say that lump stays there for a long time! generally after an hour or so you hear it finds its way to the bottom of your stomach with a thud! no matter what you do the result is always same. (actually this was the question i couldn't come up with an answer. while the flake version is smooth with your throat how come mixture is so... well i can't find words enough to describe its effects on a girl's respiratory&digestive system!)

first i was reluctant to keep it or empty the tin into trash and save the box for other purposes (i even thought about opening the cover and using it as a room fragrance! anyways it smells nice.. i like appricot 🙂 -no i'm not blonde but the erinmore mixture is!- :P)

so here it was sleeping in its yellow coffin god knows for how long. and one day.. -why all good fairy tales starts with "one day"??- 🙂 okay okay i will tell you what i did to "good" old Erinmore after the commercial break!

here we are; first get a pouch of rolling tobacco (in this example i experimented with; golden virginia, derum halfzware shag, drum milde shag, samson milde shag and van nelle halfzware shag)

second get a MYO machine (i used a simple one)

third get a tin of erinmore mixture (no no don't buy it if you don't have it. just incase you don't like the final result i don't want to hear all those swearing :))) instead get a blonde girlfriend who has it already 😛

and finally get empty cigarette tubes (used Premiere brand)

now what you do is simple (recipie for one tube) take a pinch from erinmore mixture and same amount of your fav. rolling tobacco (IMHO with this example golden virginia gives the best result. actually one of my suspicions was; they may be using virginia type rolling tobacco leaves instead of virginia pipe tobacco during the production of this.. this.. uh.. what this was??.. aha yeah.. this blondie :))) ah okay where i was? we got a pinch of rolling tobacco..now we will mix these two. make the rolling tobacco into pieces and evenly blend it with erinmore mixture. then fill your injector with it, place the empty tube, do the injection, adjust your MYO cigarette, find a matchbox or a lighter, light it.. then we will talk 🙂

can you believe!? erinmore mixture blended with golden virginia R.tobacco tastes like ***marlboro 100's appricot flavoured cigarettes!!!! (if you haven't tried before they sell it at duty free shops in yellow soft packs with a pineapple logo printed on! 😛 😛 😛 joking aside i really recommend you to give it a try! you won't regret if you are a cigarette smoker.

and about rating this product.. hmm.. -1- if it's a pipe tobacco but -10- if it's a blender for RYO tobaccos. but here we are talking about pipe tobaccos so it's 1

***(i'm from Turkey and Marlboros here are all turkish made "virginia-turkish tobacco blend" so the taste i'm talking about is this semi strong smooth smoke. not sure about other countries' M. productions though i tried bulgarian version marlboro and it tastes like.. ARGH!)

target="_blank"