Notes: From Smoking Pipes website: Shane says Sutliff Spiced Rum has the aroma of a strong rum cake; Adam differed, stating it was more of a rum raisin ice cream note. Either way, true to its name this aromatic black cavendish, burley, and Virginia blend doesn't skimp on the spiced rum.

Blended ByCarl McAllister
FlavoringOther / Misc, Rum
Strength
Taste

3.6
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The aspects that peek out through the deeply rich spiced rum topping are some nuts, earth and wood from the burley, and grass from the Virginia. I just notice any tangy citrus. The brown sugary black cavendish is the star varietal, though, it, too, is muted a bit by the rum, though it’s more obvious than the other tobaccos. The strength is in the center of mild to medium. The taste is a step short of medium. The nic-hit is a slot behind the strength level. No chance of bite or harshness, and sports no rough edges. The moisture level is a tad high, so you may decide to give it a short dry time before launching into the experience. I did not do that. Burns cool, clean, and a little slow if not given some dry time. The flavor is very consistent from start to finish. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires an average number of relights. An all day smoke. Four stars.

-JimInks

StevieB (1981)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild Very Pleasant

Sutliff Tobacco Co. - Spiced Rum.

The moisture of this was exactly how I like it to be upon arrival: slightly moist. I like that because I know it will hold it's own in the cellar. Now, I mixed things up today, rather than a morning smoke of a good English or VaPer, I opted for Peter Stokkebye's Black Currant Cavendish: big mistake! I had to have this to remove the aftertaste!

The smoke's a little different to the usual rum aromatics, there's more flavour than I expected. As well as the rum, I get lots of dark fruit/raisins, and a vanilla flavour. It tastes like exceedingly rich Christmas cake. The tobaccos form quite a heavy character, which works well with the toppings. I don't get any sharp/fresh notes from the Va, but more of a ripeness, with the nutty Burley and vanilla Cavendish completing the Christmas cake character. The burn's good, the temperature's cool, and it leaves a pale ash.

Nicotine: a touch above mild. Room-note: like Christmas.

Sutliff should have marketed this as a Christmas special. Highly recommended:

Four stars.

Pipe Used: Chacom Atlas

Tropicalretriever Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tropicalretriever (23)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

So I set out to find a tobacco that would have a very pleasant room note for my better half. I tried a sample of Sutliff's Spiced Rum and found it to have a very nice room note with no bite. Then I started thinking that I did not want my pipe to just be an air freshener but also provide me with some smoking satisfaction. Beyond this, the tobacco was terribly wet and sticky. There was no discernible nicotine. Apart from that, it did have some spice and can be considered an all day smoke.

Pipe Used: Peterson

RonR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RonR (61)
Very Mild Strong Mild Very Pleasant

3rdguy

Received a sample and was able to smoke 2 bowls. Came fairly moist but I had zero issues getting it lit after 30 minutes of drying. Surprised me with minimal relights. Does crackle, spark and pop a bit with flame. Birned clean to the bottom each time. Rum is the only flavor I am picking up but it is consistent throughout the smoke. Puts out quite a bit of smoke. If you are looking for a good rum aro I would highly suggest this. Not my cup of tea but I can see where others will love it.

Pipe Used: Cobs

Purchased From: Free sample

Smokey Joe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smokey Joe (1)
Mild Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

I'm on my second extra large bowl of this delicious stuff tonight. It is so gentle I find myself inhaling the smoke for want of a deeper experience of its boozie sweetness.

Pipe Used: UCA freehand XL icepick

Purchased From: pipes and tobacco

Similar Blends: low country rum but much milder, without any bite.

Shipwreckbay Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Shipwreckbay (27)

This tobacco is one of the best aromatics out there. The bag note is intoxicating and smells of premium rum. This continues on with the smoke as you enjoy it. It arrives fresh and a bit moist and may require a few re-lights as a result. You can also give it some time to air dry if you want to.

This Sutliff blend burns clean and smooth, and at a reasonable rate, leaving a light grey ash. My pipe smoking friends have been trying samples and they all love it. detected negligible amounts of nicotine, and no bitterness. It also imparts a terrific room note. A great all day smoke.

Pipe Used: Savinelli

Purchased From: SmokingPipes.com

GrandRapidsPiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GrandRapidsPiper (1)
Very Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

In one of my recent orders I was sent a sample of Sutliff Spiced Rum. After letting it dry on my desk for about 6 hours I packed it into a cob. The scent was nice and my whole office smelled like a good winter party from letting it sit out. Even after 6 hours to dry it still sizzled a little while getting it lit but settled down nicely. Smoke was nice and thick. Not much in the flavor department but not unpleasant or harsh and what flavor was there was acceptable. The rum scent/taste did carry nicely and there was no bite (probably thanks to the dry time). Smoked down to the bottom easily and the aftertaste was pleasant. Nicotine was very mild. Not something I would normally include in my rotation but the sample was a nice festive-smelling experience. If you are looking for a rum-based aromatic I don't think this will let you down.

Pipe Used: Cob

Purchased From: thestorytellerspipe.com

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (303)
Very Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

If anyone has had Pipeworks and Wilke's Rumcake, then you will immediately recognize the aroma eminating from the bag. Now of course Carol uses much better leaf so let's not compare that but the flavor of the topping and room note are extremely similar according to my house mates. The usual black Cav, Burley and Virginia ala Captain Black White with a spiced cake confectionery topping applied. Also as usual one must either let it dry overnight or place a couple ounces worth on a baker sheet in the oven for ten minutes to eliminate the PG. One of Sutliffs best Aromatics thus far!!! I agree with StevieB that it's perfect for holidays when the feds take away the Christmas / Holiday blends in 2018. Santa will enjoy this on Christmas Eve as much as the family on Christmas morning or each night of Chanukah! Really sets the mood :-)