Appetizing Curlys from bright and dark fired Virginias. Earthy, grassy, matured-sweet. In a mixture of delicate nutty burley and some peppery perique. Mildly enhanced by a honey note. Fine, noble, digestible - great at any time of the day.

Notes: "Der Neue" is German for "The New One". It's named like this, because this is the first blend added to the Motzek range of products, when Tom Darasz took over Motzek from Herbert Motzek.

BrandMotzek
CutCurly Cut
Packaging100 grams pouch, 200 grams pouch
Strength
Extremely Mild
Taste
Medium, Medium to Full
DenizBeck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DenizBeck (313)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

This is a re-visit after I haven't smoked this blend for quite a while. I haven't bought this again as I had too much blends I wanted to try in the meanwhile, you may know this "problem" ;-) Yet now I regret not having bought it again...

Lovely cut.. there's Curlys from bright and dark-fired Virginias, ribbon-cut Burley, chunks of black, broken flakes, which contain the Perique I guess. A very mild honey-note was added, which is most certainly most natural, as Motzek only uses natural flavourings!

The aroma from the bag is versatile. Sweet honey notes with underlying spiciness and also some white pepper lurking. Hay and (wal-)nuts. All in all it's very tobacco-y, with only a minor, natural honey note to it. The cut is a pleasure to handle and various packing method are avilable (try smoking only the Curlys f.e!)

In the pipe it performs excellent! Nothing overly complex, but quite some aromas to explore. There's honey-sweet, hay-ish and earthy Virginia aroma, sweet and tart nuts, as well as wood and earth from the Burleys, a slight smokiness from the dark fired leaf, as well as white pepper that tingles your nostrils and tounge - but never bites! A synergetic composition of sweetness and spice. Some bready notes, and tart spice. Sometimes the smokiness get's a mild beefy undertone.

Definetly an All-Day-Smoke! I love a bowl of it in the morning. It gives me the right proportions of sweetness and slightly smoky, peppery spice. Has some strenght, but ain't strong. On the lower half of "medium", I'd say! The added honey flavouring is very mild and really just underscoring the Virginia sweetness. Definetly not an aromatic, not even what I'd consider a "Semi-Aromatic Blend", this is natural tobacco with a hint of honey.

Update: Down-rated to 3-stars (personal rating), as I only smoke this occasionly these days.

Update#2: After having this blend stored for several months in a mason jar the flavor(s)/flavor profile has dramatically changed, if not to say: The flavors are lost! This one solely tastes fructouse-ish sweet... I've noticed the same phenomenon (that quite baffles me..) with several other Motzek/TAK blends. A pity, as I have 200-400g of several TAK-Blends jarred up.. half of which I had to dump in the trash, as they taste totally different.. some of them are fructous-ish sweet, nothing else.. some have lost their flavors and are "flat"... some turned sour... sorry, but I'll have to downrate and recommend: If you smoke this within a short period of time (1-4 months) this is just fine and a wonderful Burley Cake that lacks competition in Germany imho.... but sadly this 'flaw', the loss/dramatically change of aroma/flavors foreces me to downrate..

|| Personal rating: 2-stars (3-stars, when fresh) | Attempt of an 'obective rating' : 2-stars (3,5-stars when fresh) ||

smoking-rob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoking-rob (78)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

This tobacco is very similar, if not identical to HU Tobacco's Director's Cut but why this should be so is still unclear to me. I have asked the blender Tom Darasz about it but received no reply. A lovely appearance of small VaPer curlies, small flakes and some loose cut tobacco. Now the small flakes are either nearly black or light brown but some are black and brown but still joined together...there is. as far as I know, just one other tobacco like that and it is Orlik's Strong Dark Kentucky so maybe that is used in this blend, it has I believe the liquorice flavour of that flake .

Now, it has been a while since I smoked Director's Cut but if this tobacco was dressed up in that tin, I would not have noticed an immediate difference. Could be that DC has a bit more strength, a bit more spice as well. But at a price of nearly €10 less per 100 gramm, you really can't go wrong with 16/5 Der Neue

Pipe Used: Various Dunhill pipes

Similar Blends: HU tobacco Director's Cut.