The art of pipe smoking is something that is highly individual and whichever type of pipe you like to smoke - be it a brandy, a billiard, or bulldog - and however you like to pack your pipe, the quality and blend of tobacco you choose is key.

Special Virginia is a hand crafted pipe blend of Virginia, Kentucky and burley tobaccos that can trace its origins back to as early as 1770. However you like to smoke your pipe, we hope you enjoy this high quality coarse cut ready rubbed blend with it's distinctive character, appreciated around the world.

Notes: In May 2017 the pack name changed from Mellow Virginia to Special Virginia Ready Rubbed due to legislation, and now has Gallaher Ltd. on the pouch, although this is a subsidiary of JT international. Now in a pouch only as the tin was phased out.

BrandGallaher Limited
Taste
Granny Smith Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Granny Smith (29)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

This is basically Mellow Virginia with a name change and it's pretty much the same tobacco as it always was. So here's a pasting of my original review - This is damn decent tobacco. Some people always give bad reviews to tobaccos easily found in supermarkets but they are talking through their rear ends. Out of all the easily available blends this comes third in my list behind St. Bruno and my all time fave, The Mighty Condor. Mellow Virginia is in my rotation because it offers a welcome change of pace for me since I usually smoke the more powerful Lakeland style blends. Mellow Virginia offers a nice caramel taste...rich and smooth and I do like it.

Pipe Used: Peterson silver spigot

Purchased From: ASDA

Little Steven Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Little Steven (76)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Unnoticeable

Update 27th March 2018.

Having smoked a few ounces of this I find I get on well with the bready, doughy flavour. If this were the only tobacco left in the world, I'd smoke.

________________________________

All dogs have four legs. My cat has four legs. Therefore my cat is a dog.

Something must be done. This something. This is what must be done.

The name change from Mellow to Special Virginia proves this logic.

I recall this as moist and dark. Now it's dry and light. It's ok. It can be smoked.

Pipe Used: Stanwell billiard.

Age When Smoked: Fresh from the tin.

Purchased From: Astons of Manchester.

Similar Blends: Mellow Virginia..

thesmoggypipester Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thesmoggypipester (63)
Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

A classic British otc that has stood the test of time. I tried this a number of years ago under its old name of mellow virginia. I have a sneaking suspicion that along with condor, its production has moved to Poland.

Whereas condor has infamously declined, from what I remember, mellow virginia hasn't changed much if it all. It is still the same stellar smoke, virginia burley and kentucky, cased with vanilla, cocoa, and caramel. Packing is a doddle, as is the lighting, the casings are pretty strong on this, but they don't sublimated the tobaccos too much.

Cool slow burning and very satisfying. Has a decent kick of nic behind it, room note I find very pleasant and it shouldn't offend the masses so a perfect company smoke as well.

All in all a stellar smoke, which is classic British otc, kind of steps into the realm of gawith hoggarth in the way their aromatic tobaccos are. Well worth a try.

3 and a half stars and one I'd be happy to keep in semi regular rotation.

Pipe Used: Straight falcon with Dublin bowl.

Purchased From: My smoking shop

StevieB (1903)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Gallaher Ltd - Special Virginia Rubbed Out.

It's been rubbed to the appearance of a broken flake. The colour's quite dark and the moisture's faultless. I find there's little aroma from the pouch, apart from a slight sweetness.

Just like Mellow Virginia, which is basically what this is, it gives a fairly uncomplicated smoke. I find it's a VaBur with a touch of honey. The Virginia and Burley seem equal; slightly sweet and a little coarse. The Kentucky offers a little 'power', but isn't a formidable ingredient. Because of the chunky cut it burns slow and cool. It also gives me no tongue bite.

Nicotine: medium. Room-note: pleasant.

Special Virginia? Like I said with Mellow Virginia, although it's readily available in the UK, it's still damn good! Highly recommended:

Four stars.

Pipe Used: Peterson Golden Supreme Meer'

Purchased From: My Smoking Shop