Amphora Virginia is a well-balanced and mellow blend with the natural sweetness and flavours enjoyed by Virginia lovers worldwide. Made with a mixture of Virginias from Brazil, USA & Zambia.

BrandMac Baren
Blended ByMac Baren
Manufactured ByMac Baren
Packaging50 grams pouch, 100 grams tin
Strength
Taste
ChristianProbst Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ChristianProbst (4)

From this year on, Mac Baren is the Producer and Distributor of all Amphora Blends. For me it will mean a gain in quality, because people at Mac Baren really have passion and love for Tobacco. Unlikely other bigger Tobacco Companys. Per Georg Jensen from Mac Baren gave me a Pouch of this new Blend at the Intertabak Fair in Dortmund, and said "This is our last Virginia- Blend, i promise you it is a pure Virginia, but i will not bite, but gives you full flavour". What should i say? He was completey right! Very good to know is, that this is a hot pressed tobacco. A method, which is at mac baren only used before at their HH- Flakes. It gives the tobacco a fuller flavour, marry the tobaccos better together, and makes it a bit more harmonyously. I have expected a bright Virginia Flake as i read "Amphora Virginia" - with grassy and hay- like notes, maybe like OGS. But that is not the case. It is a middle- brown, broadly cut Virginia- Flake, that smell like a good german dark bread. Very deep and roasted- spicy. Packing is as easy as you would expect, but lighting needs a little patience. Once alight, it burns very consistent and even, and gives you a flavour that is very similar to what you have smelled out of the pouch. It has very deep spicy, bready flavour and surprisingly just a little sweetness. And it does not bite at all- remarkable for a pure Virginia. It just smeems to me, it is a better and more matured version of the HH Pure Virginia Flake- which was boring. This is a must try for all pipesmokers that like the darker Virginias. It has a remarkable quality. But Dear Mr. Mac Baren- please put it in 100g Tins! It has addictive potencial- just emptied my third pouch. Per Georg Jensen just wrote on facebook that they have trouble due to FDA regulations to get this good stuff to the US. So by now (November 2016) it's only available in Denmark and Germany. Pipesmokers in US! Annoy your pipefriends across the pond to send you a pouch, you will like it a lot!

Pipe Used: Several Briars. Dunhill, Winslows, Savinellis...

Purchased From: Cigarworld.de

Similar Blends: Mac Baren HH Pure Virginia.

Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

The Virginias provide some earth, grass and citrus, a little wood, toast and dark fruit, a couple spice notes, and a hint of a rough edge, sugar and tea. The taste and mellow sweetness levels are a couple steps closer to mild than they are to medium. The strength is mild. The nic-hit is mild. Won’t bite or get harsh. The tobacco is mostly broken flake, but easy to pack and break apart a little further if you wish. Burns cool and clean at a slightly slow pace with a very consistent, fairly smooth flavor. Leaves very little dampness in the bowl, and requires a few more than an average number of relights due to the cut of the tobacco. Will burn to ash. Has a pleasant, short lived after taste. A rather easy going all day smoke with a very slight smoky, tangy quality. Three and a half stars.

-JimInks

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Mac Baren - Amphora Virginia.

I opened the pouch prepared to find a slightly mundane, medium brown, virginia ribbon. But, I lifted back the flap to find a dark brown broken flake...... winner! It's a bit too wet, but nothing to get in a stew over.

The smoke's very citrusy, and also slightly sharp. The citrus quality is so loud it totally eradicates any of the other Va nuances! On a low note, the citrus can cause a bit of an annoying sensation on my palate if it's not taken gently, but providing it's sipped, it's a true joy.

A bowl of Amphora Virginia burns superbly, leaving a pure white ash behind.

The nicotine's quite mild, and the room-note's brilliant: light virginia.

A bowl of this will put a spring in your step!

Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Peterson Dracula #221

Purchased From: The Danish Pipe Shop

A very nice offering from MacBaren/Amphora. This has nothing to do with MacBaren's own Virginia#1: a rather sugary, honey coated tobacco, once described by a fellow reviewer as "Napalam on a stick". Amphora Virginia is a very well crafted broken flake, Cavendished in that particular Dutch style. Up to a certain point it reminds me of the old Amphora Regular (from the D&E years): straight forward, woodsy, slow burning and delicious.

This Virginia is neither sweet (in that raisin-molasses style of some Dunhills' and Rattrays) nor acidic/abrasive (in that vinegar-ketchup style of McClelland). Rather it has a toasty flavor, reminiscent of hay and wheat. It's sharp, smokey and easy to light and keep lit. If anything, is closer to Briar Fox, but in broken flake-Cavendish form. Indeed, a very nice surprise, rich in natural flavor, humidity and strength. In my book, this is a winner.

Pipe Used: Royal Dutch, Comoy's Every Man's pipe.

Age When Smoked: N/A

Purchased From: Tobacco shop in Bolognia, Italy

Similar Blends: Briar Fox..

I was very happy to see this finally offered in the USA and quickly purchased 2 pouches. I was greeted to a nice, medium to dark brown broken flake with a solid aroma of Virginia leaf, but not as in-your-face grassy or hay-like. It also had the scent of tea (not Earl Grey, more Lipton). Fresh out of the pouch, loading and lighting were a breeze and I was not disappointed with the smoke. There was a subtle, natural sweetness while smoking, and not in any way confectionery. The after taste was pleasant and mildly tea-like. This never smoked hot or with any bite - at all. Next to HH Pure Virginia, the tamest (but one of the tastiest) Virginias I ever have smoked. For those wondering, way better than Orlik Golden Slice. Will be an everyday smoke for me and in light of our present anti-smoking climate, I hope it's always around to be enjoyed. 5 stars for me.

Pipe Used: Stanwell sandblast featherweight poker

Age When Smoked: Fresh from pouch

Purchased From: 4noggins.com

Similar Blends: Mac Baren HH Pure Virginia.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

After having been disappointed by Amphora's other offerings (as far as I could get hold of them), I was intrigued by the brand offering a pretty much pure VA, and of course by MacBaren having taken over production. Cue a pouch arriving in the mail.

Opening the pouch, this is very much a MacB product: the broken flake is the same as in many MacB blends, only here, it is just the VA flake and nothing else. A light citrus note, a lot of warmth and a touch of pepper are in the package. The leaf is medium to dark yellow and brown.

Stuffing is easy for any danish-style pipe, lighting and maintenance, too. The broken Flake makes for a relatively cool smoke, and from the beginning, there is sweetness, some warmth, a touch of grassiness... all good VA.

The room note is of hay and rum (not a flavouring of the blend), some airy driness in there, too. Wider bowls should be preferred (this is, after all, sort of a processed Flake). At the end, I have a minimum of dottle and no condensation, ergo no bite.

Being a pure VA, there is little variation in there, but for those who want the flavour of VA, this should be a go-to 'baccy. And here I am, highly recommending something branded Amphora. Watch out for snowdrifts in Hell.

Pipe Used: db Mayflower, VAUEN Barontini

Age When Smoked: ~3 months

Purchased From: DanPipe, Lauenburg, Germany

Similar Blends: Samuel Gawith - Golden Glow.

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (203)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Expectations over this new Amphora were high.

You should know that we italians (poor pipsters) have never had available any OTC virginia. This one fills the gap, and it does very much fine than I could expect.

I think of this basically as the Mac Baren’s Virginia # 1 without the honey. Or a cheaper broken flake standing between the Golden Glow and the Best Brown by Samuel Gawith. It’s a very good basic virginia for any home made blend, which I have started to experiment by fractional addings of say SJF or LD (or both) or BF, and getting differentiated facets to the base. But AV stands by its own merits. Strenght is satisfactorily near the medium mark. Flavour is citrus & hay with some pleasant spice. Smokes cool and absolutely unbitey.

After five pouches, and still three waiting in my cabinet, I can confirm that this one “has an addictive potential”. A very nice surprise. Four stars.

Pipe Used: mainly Castello and Radice

Age When Smoked: fresh from pouch

Similar Blends: Mac Baren's Virginia # 1, Samuel Gawith's Golden Glow.

Adam T Valleau Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Adam T Valleau (19)

I had to smoke a few bowls of this to decide whether or not I liked it. Well, I have concluded that this is a pretty decent straight Virginia blend. Keep in mind that my favorite straight Virginia is G.L. Pease "Union Square", so I'm comparing this blend to that. As other reviewers have noted, this blend has a sharpness to it along with the usual hay-like quality. The pouch note led me to think that there might be some kind of light topping, but after smoking several bowls in a briar and a cob, I'm thinking maybe not. I also didn't notice humectant. But that sharpness is rather nice. It's not too sharp. The overall taste is very nice. It is grassy with a noticeable touch or sweetness that intensifies as the smoke progresses. I, too, find that this blend gets a little rough around the edges and a tad bit ashy near the end of the bowl. But the majority of the smoke was very tasty. It looks like a broken flake to me, so I just bent and stuffed it into the pipe and I tamped it in there fairly firmly. I didn't find it too hard to get lit and it generally required only one or two relights. I think the key here is to keep the burning tobacco firmly tamped as I'm smoking. At least this works for me, and it seemed that I could keep that bowl going very nicely through almost all the smoke. I only needed to re-light near the end of the bowl. This blend performed best in my MM Country Gentleman. A full bowl in the Country Gentleman provided about an hour and twenty minute smoke for me (and yes, DO sip this blend for the best flavor). Overall, a very decent smoke. Not nearly as good as GLP Union Square (but that's nectar of the gods to me), but really decent, just the same. Tasty, nice room note, long burning, doesn't seen to bite, smokes cool if you go slowly with it. It comes at a decent price, too. This blend will likely age well, but I'd take it out of the pouch and jar it. I recommend this blend if you like straight Virginias, and it would not be a bad selection for those wanting to try a straight Virginia for the first time. Cheers!

Pipe Used: Al Pascia Curvey, MM Country Gent

Purchased From: SmokingPipes.com

Similar Blends: Sutliff "Virginia Slices" (but a bit stronger)..

WillBrown Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillBrown (121)
Strong None Detected Full Strong

I was mostly impressed with this one. This blend came across a bit sharp, hit a lot of high notes, and was a bit rough around the edges. The taste was outstanding—another great sipper. It lit quick, one char, then off to the races. I must admit I didn't finish the entire bowl, it got a little harsh as it went along and I gave up on it. Still, an acceptable blend. Those who love sharp Virginia's should like this one—myself, I can take it, or leave it. 2.5 stars. I always round down. This was yet another sample from the 2018 Chicago Pipe Show.

Keep on pipin'

Purchased From: Chicago Pipe Show

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (167)

Ready rubbed or broken flake; often thick leaves. Push down some to eliminate air pockets. Slow to get started to burn, but burns steady after a few lights. Not real wet. I don't dry it. Smoked almost a full package and will finish it up.

Light and real sweet IMO. A brilliant sweetness that may make you want to puff fast it is so brilliant, but slow down or it can get hot and bite. Sip as usual for a VA or even slower.

Taste is both orange (more than OGS) but some sour too, and occasionally spicy. Not earthy to me unless you dry it out some or set it down.

Per J. said on pipes magazine talk show (Summer'18) this was his favorite blend; he blends it. I can see why. More tasty that OGS to me.

Not my normal cuppa, but it has a brilliant flavor to keep tempting me. Recommended to Cavendish or Sail lovers, with a sweet tooth.

Pipe Used: St. Claude Panel

Age When Smoked: new package

Purchased From: SPC

Similar Blends: old Sail aromatic; HH Pure Virginia; Orlik Golden Slices..

Greekpipesmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Greekpipesmoker (195)

Being a bit dissapointed from other Amphora blends i hesitaded a little but some great reviews and being a virginia flake lover made me purchase a pack of 50 gram.once the seal breaks a nice aroma of sweet grasses and tea notes comes out.the broken flakes are very similar to the HH line flakes so some rubbing is needed.if not rubbed the lighting is really tricky and several relights are needed through smoking.the blend moisture is proper.while smoking the flavours combine very well each other and feel very natural.lots of grass notes,some citruses,tea notes,lots of dark fruits and some earthy notes are popping out from the beginning till the end.smooth and sharp tastes co exist giving some complexity to your tongue with no tongue bite.burns slow and cool to perfect ash with some moisture being created at the end of the bowl.the room note is pleasant and the after taste pleasant too.an all day smoke with no harsh spots that any virginia lover should like.despite all these something is missing for me.i know some of you may critisism me but i believe this blend is incomplete without some perique.with this addition i believe the blend will launch it's flavours and can be a 4 star blend that a lot should love.

Age When Smoked: Rubbed and packed at once

L'Italiano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
L'Italiano (189)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a good straight Virginia. A pleasant surprise. Not entirely natural, because there is a little bit of flavoring in it. Anyway the taste is Virginia, pure Virginia. Brown in color it is robust enough, with a high nicotine content and it needs to be smoked slowly, without warming up. For Virginia' lovers. In my personal rating system (from 1 to 10) my score is 8 and three stars.

GeeJay Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GeeJay (3)
Very Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

Well, to my big surprise I'd got a royal sample of this tobacco, in a pouch. Once opened, I saw a light brown broken flake. A good smell of Virgina, pure reached my nose. A bit kitteling. Need 3 matches and the flakes burn quite slowly in their medium meerschaum bowl. When I smoked it 2/3 I need a relight, one is enough. People may ask where is your tobacco-review?? Well, .... this is a pure Virginia blend. Nothing more nothing less. For the Dutch market it means really an acquisition. We don't have such a tobacco. This is a Virginia that will have a very warm welcome in many smaller countries like NL. I can imagine that you'dçhoose Virginia as an allday tobacco. Congratulations MB. Edit: the other day my hand grabbed automatically to the pouch Virginia. For me it means it passed the test, it has a good chance to be my daily tobacco. Also important: I've smoked this tobacco without a filter. And it's true what the rumours say: there was no tongue-bite!

Pipe Used: Hilson Virgin Nature

Age When Smoked: fresh from the pouch

Purchased From: a friend

KahveDelisi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KahveDelisi (58)

I am not a fan of Mac Baren offerings in general. That being said, I have to admit their Amphora Virginia is a game changer. Unlike their other effervescent & bite-machine Virginia blends, this one greets you with fermented black tea scent and a whiff of Heinz ketchup. The overall scent is very similar to McClelland dark Virginias. However you'll find out the taste couldn't be more different than those McC Virginias. From initial light to last bit, toasted flavor with woody under notes, it's neither nutty, nor citrus-like. The taste is very similar to baked bread made of 100% Rye flour. I can see Amphora Virginia as my daily smoke accompanied by a nice dark beer such as Leffe Brune or Fuller's Black Cab. Good job Mac Baren, keep up the positive change please!

PS. No bite, none, nope. Can you believe that? Even after several bowls I still can't!

Chili guy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Chili guy (11)

Finally got around to opening the tightly sealed foil pouch and trying a few bowls. Overall, nice stuff. For me, it works best in a narrow deep bowl and indeed my MM General and a couple of freehands were vastly better than the short push bit pot bowl that I tried originally. Presentation... except the pouch...is Mac Baren all the way with the moderately broken flake of a cavendished blend...sort of fun to sort out or just stuff it in the bowl and keep pressing. It lights easily and stays lit after about a third of a bowl, burns to a gray ash with no excess moisture or dottle. Room note didn’t bother my wife but there was no raving about how good it smelled either...room note is pretty low key. It has a subtle sweetness, makes plenty of rich smoke, isn’t strong, doesn’t bite, smokes dry. All in all, a pleasant smoke deserving of a try whether you’re a Virginia lover or not...I like Burley tobaccos best. You should try it and Mac Barens should have this in 100 gr. tins.

Pipe Used: Unbranded pot bowl, unbranded freehand, MM General

Purchased From: P&C

Similar Blends: Non-aromatic flake tobaccos with little added flavoring..

atomicbuster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
atomicbuster (64)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This Virginia is decent. The positives: It has pretty good flavor. It is easy to pack after it has dried. It has very little bite after it has dried. It stays lit fairly well after it has dried. The room note is OK. The aftertaste is OK. The negatives: It takes a very long time to dry, as in weeks in a zippered pouch left in the car. During this drying process, it bites unless smoked really slowly, it does not stay lit very long, and it does not burn thoroughly, produces lots of dottle. Verdict: I can say I've smoked much worse and much better. I have to barely recommend it because, with patience in the drying time, it mellows out sufficiently to make it a pleasure to smoke, but I don't have a lot of patience for it while it's not a pleasure yet.

Uncle Al Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Uncle Al (14)

Amphora Virginia Blend is truly wonderful! It’s not the greatest Virginia pipe tobacco but given its economy price, over the counter availability and high quality it’s an exceptional value for money blend. I stocked up and it takes quite a lot to impress me. It’s a medium strength, seductive tobacco eminently suited as an all day choice. Cut up, rubbed out and sipped slowly it has everything. As a mass produced tobacco I was shocked and then overjoyed. Bowl after straight bowl delivered unexpected Virginia satisfaction. Would take to perique or latakia really well. Highly recommended! Came well sealed, moist and ready to go after preparation. So if you appreciate straight Virginia I advise not to hesitate - just do it.

Pipe Used: Various

Purchased From: 4Noggins

Karim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Karim (5)

My frist sharp Virgina tobacco, I usually prefer aromatic ones.

At pouch opening: I would say broken flake with thick pieces, natural, intense and pleasant pure Virginia aroma.

At touch: not too wet, a little thick.

Loading and lighting: need to break it to smaller pieces. I prefer to dry it a little. Burns well after some relights.

Smoking: obviously stronger than my habits. No tongue bit but some harsh to me. Leaves a clean bowl.

Room note: my wife is used to sweet aromatics so that's just tolerable to her.

The after taste is pleasant, not too persitent.

I'm smoking it repeatedly to appreciate it as it deserves. I'll try in my corn cob. Not an all day to me, but I'm sure it will be appreciated by those who love Virginia's.

Recommended

Pipe Used: Savinelli Pocket 202

Purchased From: local dealer

WolfmanSam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WolfmanSam (34)

The broken flakes are quite moist and need to air dry for about an hour. Upon lighting I’m greeted with a mouthwatering citrus taste. It’s sweet and sour. I’m immediately captivated. It’s also spicy, but doesn’t bite. I would describe the citrusy taste as a combination of lemon and bitter orange.

It burns at a moderate rate. It’s not harsh, even when I puff repeatedly. Be warned, the bowl will heat quickly if you’re a quick puffer. The nicotine level is almost medium, and the taste/body is slightly greater than medium. It smokes well in briars and cobs.

Do not be discouraged because it comes in a pouch. These are high quality tobaccos. It may contain glycerol, but it does not interfere with the taste or burn. I suspect this will age well. 3.5 stars

Lager Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lager (15)

This is a really good grade of Virginia and Macbarren hit the mark with this one! Most blends from Macbarren bite me like crazy. The H&H series and this are an exception. It comes as a somewhat broken flake and that for me needs an additional rubbing out. The moisture level is a bit on the wet side as I would expect from a quality Virginia so some drying time may be in order. This is semi sweet, hands down good quality offering. If your a virginia lover, give this one a try you won't be sorry. Highly recommended!

Pipe Used: Peterson, savinelli

Purchased From: Pipes and cigars

Similar Blends: Some of the McClelland Va's.

Giuliano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Giuliano (1)
Medium None Detected Medium Unnoticeable

Tabacco da tutti i giorni, ma con note molto nobili, ottima fumabilita'. Come flake rotto, impone un minimo di manualità nella fase di carica,ottimo.Lo raccomando decisamente. Non credo sia da consigliare a chi inizia a fumare la pipa, perchè rischia di complicare un po' la fase d'accensione. Direi che può essere utile valutarlo come porta d'accesso ai Virginia più strutturati è complesso. Direi che il profumo al fornello della pipa, risulta pieno, piacevolissimo, mai acido. Se lo si fuma lentamente non punta mai in bocca e rispetto ai suoi più blasonati concorrenti non sfigura per nulla; anzi.

Viscfab Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Viscfab (26)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Oh dear! This has got to be one of the best blends executed by Mr. Per Georg Jensen. What a classy pipe tobacco. Upon opening the fresh yellow pouch a waft of fresh virginias invade your nostrils with full force. It is hard to believe that this bland has no topping at all... It smells so wonderfully great - It reminds me of Toast with marmelade. Broken flakes, golden brown, beautiful and easy to pack. Chars easily with two or three relights and goes to the bottom. Delicious sweet virginia flavours with fully satisfying flavour - french smoke it with your nose for christs sake and savour the full experience. Did not over heat, did not bite and made me want another bowl right after the 1st one finished. This is TOP notch!

Pipe Used: Vauen, Savinelli, Stanwell

Purchased From: local importer

Similar Blends: Mac Baren - Harmony.

Workman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Workman (1)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This one comes in a yellow pouch. Both the packing and the price suggest an OTC. Maybe it is, but in that case a damn good one. The tobacco comes as broken or lightly rubbed flakes. It is darker than I thought it would be, various shades of brown with just a few light yellow ribbons. Although it appears as a fairly stoved, medium brown virginia, the flavor is on the bright side. Or to be more precise, the flavor is all over the virginia range, but dominated by the soursweet, lemony, buttermilk notes of bright virginias. There is also some bread, very little grass and hay, and some tanginess. I find it very flavorful with some complexity. It will reward you if you concentrate on the flavors, but it is also easy going and flavorful enough for you to puff away while doing something else. Where this one fits in the best is with Samuel Gawith's Best Brown and Full Virginia Flakes, this one being the bright morning smoke. I sense absolutely no toppings or casings. Not much nicotine either, but it's there of course. For my own use, I rate blends from 0-6. Amphora Virginia gets something like 5.5. It's very good

Purchased From: Danish Pipe Shop

wintermute Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wintermute (70)
Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

This is the fourth blend in the new Amphora line that I am reviewing and I saved it for last because I am really not a full Virginia fan and also because I thought it would be my least favorite. I was wrong. When my pouch arrived, it was a little dry for my taste. After some hydration the tobacco really came in to it's own. The smell from the pouch is more like a rich tobacco rather than the more more grass-like aroma from your typical Virginia blend. The cut is thicker and it packs rather nicely with some attention to detail. It takes a light very well and the taste is more like a Summer evening rather than a Summer day. It is a darker taste like one would find in a really good Virginia flake. There is no spice, but the taste is full and goes great with a light lager. It is a full, slightly sweet, tobacco taste with almost no added flavorings. It is a lot better than Mac Barren Virginia Flake NO 1 and about half the price. The flavor does get a little more intense down the bowl. But it does not really change that much. The nicotine level is light. The aroma will not win any friends unless your friends are Escudo smokers. If you look at my reviews, you will see that I gave many legendary Virginia blends lack-luster reviews. If I could only buy one Virginia blend, this would be the one; especially when you consider price. The ash is fine if a little moist. And the tobacco will not ghost your pipe. By the way, if you try Amphora Original, you will taste this samae Virginia but to a much lesser extent. It is there, however.

Pipe Used: MM Huck Finn

Age When Smoked: 6 weeks

Similar Blends: Mac barren Virginia Flake No, 1, Sail Yellow, Scandanaviak Original.

hawky454 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hawky454 (104)
Mild None Detected Full Very Pleasant

I was pleasantly surprised by this one. I thought I was buying a bargain Virginia blend in a pouch and what I got was some lovely, grade A, dark, dark Virginia’s in a Broken Flake form for a bargain price. I knew the second I opened the pouch that this was going to be a treat! Like I said, this is a dark VA so it provides that stewed fruit, citrus and bready qualities that I enjoy so much from a good Virginia. There’s no green here, these are well matured VA’’s and properly cured for a really good price. Nicotine is mild, so it’s great for an all day smoke, room note is that wonderful natural VA scent we pipe smokers have come to love over the years. Honestly, why others are crying about the loss of McClelland, I’ll be over here silently enjoying Amphora Virginia Blend and cellaring this one DeeeeeP, this blend will only improve over the years.

Essential (to the Virginia connoisseur)

Wow, just wow! I’m telling you. Mac B, I think I’m in love.

Similar Blends: Mac Baren Pure Virginia Flake.

A Scot in Argentina Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
A Scot in Argentina (15)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

Been smoking this regularly for over a week now and have to say it's surpassed all my expectations in every department. My usual Virginia based blend is Samuel Gawith's Full Virginia Flake and this blend is every bit as good and may even beat it in certain areas. The dark hot pressed broken flake looks good from the start which I think is important in a blend. For me it smells and tastes like what a good non aromatic tobacco should taste like...tobacco. So if you like FVF you'll like this one.

Pipe Used: Alco/Falcon/Gordon

Similar Blends: Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake..

Berzerker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Berzerker (28)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Unnoticeable

Has kentucky and Im not a fan of kentucy tobaccos. Has a huge amount of topping added. Too moist in pouch. Has a difficult taste to describe. Sort of oily and diesel like at times yet still with those typical virginia grassy and for this one plum type notes as well. Ok but just wasnt for me.

Harry_Callahan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Harry_Callahan (14)

This is the first Straight Virginia I tried, bought others and came back to review it. I think it is a great tobacco for its price. Out of the pouch it is fantastic, beatiful sweet smell..like honey. Nice cut, perfect pack and great taste. It isn't too grassy and I find very interesting in retrohale..nice and spicey!

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerscham Straight Rob Roy

Age When Smoked: months

Purchased From: Tabaccheria Giordano Ivrea(TO) Italy

Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Strong

I looked forward to trying this blend since I smoked the Green Amphora from D&E for many years. I was not disappointed. Nicely broken flakes have an ideal moisture content right from the pouch. Burns cool without relights; no bite or condensation. If they make it available in tins, it could be my all day smoke.

Pipe Used: Estella billiard; Montbatten bent billiard

Purchased From: pipes & cigars.com

SiChange Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SiChange (40)

Excellent, unique pouch tobacco. Just pure sweet mild Virginia tobaccos, without casing or top dressing. Although mild it holds interest and smokes cool even when I fall into hard puffing. Danish pipe shop offering (“Virginia”) and US import (“Virginia Blend”) are identical. This holds high the Amphora marque.