A classic mixture, Trafalgar sets smooth, exotically spicy Turkish tobaccos in perfect balance with a variety of fine bright and red Virginia leaf, and just enough Latakia for an elegant "English" style, with a crisp, dry taste and a subtle campfire-like aroma. The result is a rich, stylish tobacco with lots of character, and enough complexity to keep the smoker engaged throughout the bowl, and throughout the day. - Gregory Pease

BrandDrucquer & Sons
Blended ByG.L. Pease
ContentsLatakia, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia
Packaging3.5oz Tin
Strength
Taste

The earthy, tangy dark fruit red Virginia also has a touch of vinegar, sugar and spice. The citrusy, lightly sugary, toasty and grassy bright Virginia is a shade less obvious. The buttery sweet, dry, sour and floral, woody Turkish adds a little spice in an important supporting position. The smoky, woody sweet Cyprian latakia plays a complementary role. A whisper of perique provides raisins and spice, though it’s often not very noticeable. The nic-hit is a shade closer to medium than it is to mild. Medium in strength, the taste level is a step above that. There’s no chance of bite or harshness. Well balanced, you’ll observe nearly all the inherent aspects of the tobaccos in every puff. Burns at a moderate rate with a cool and clean, deeply rich, fairly smooth consistent flavor. Requires an average number of relights, and leaves little dampness in the bowl. Not quite an all day smoke, but certainly worth repeating during your smoking day. Has a full after taste, and a smoky campfire room note that may chase your mother-in-law away. You may be grateful for that.

-JimInks

clanobucklin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
clanobucklin (104)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a very enjoyable Full English. When opening the tin I can smell the Latakia but its not as apparent as some other English blends I have smoked. The taste of the Latakia is there in spades once lit though. Not a Lat bomb but refined to the palate. The taste is pure English as there are no sour notes which to me denotes a Balkan. I find this slightly Fuller than Levant. This is not to take anything away from Levant - sometimes I want a classy smokey refined English - while others I want to get a down and dirty earthy Balkan. Think of it like comparing Ale - if Levant is a Double IPA - Trafalgar would be a Guiness. This is a Delicious, Complex and slightly Chocolately. A Great Fall/Winter Blend. Highly Recommended!

Pipe Used: Chacom Pipe

ACWBill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ACWBill (1)

I rarely smoke two pipes full of tobacco in a day. I did with Trafalgar. I bought this before knowing that it was blended by Greg Pease. I would have guessed this based on the quality of the tobacco. It has a typically English, woody and musty tin aroma. It immediately reminded me of what Rattray's Seven Reserve USED to be when I smoked it every day. It is bit stronger than that, but mild enough to keep my tongue from chapping. This is truly an all-day smoke. The character is wonderfully sweet and spicy, and the room note like a small campfire. I love this tobacco. I have a 100 gram tin opened and stored in a sealed jar and put another 200 grams in the cellar. I also bought several other Druquer & Sons based solely on the taste of this tobacco. I smoked it a Bruce Weaver Lovat. The tobacco lights on the first try and is of perfect smoking condition right out the tine. It required only one re-lighting and burned to a fine gray ash. I can't say enough good things about Trafalgar. Admiral Nelson would be proud of the blend! : )

Pipe Used: Bruce Weaver Lovat

Age When Smoked: Brand New from Tin

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes.com

Similar Blends: Rattray's Seven Reserve from the 80s and 90s..

nkulk8r Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
nkulk8r (68)

Wow. Just wow. I love this tobacco. (I also love Nightcap, Quiet Nights, Father Dempsey and John Cotton’s Number 1 Mild -- not comparing, just saying -- but does it get any more quintessentially English than Trafalgar)? Westminster is a Greg Pease Balkan that’s been reviewed and highly rated (revered) as an English. I’ve been dating Westminster off and on for almost five years now -- I just got around to reviewing Westminster -- and I could only just render it 2-stars (notwithstanding the 58% of reviewers who awarded it 4-stars ). No matter how hard I tried, Westminster has always been a 2-star gig for me. I undergo one bowl of Trafalgar and -- BAM! – I’m absolutely head over heels in love with the stuff. (I appreciate the brazen sophistication of Quiet Nights – another Pease master blend – but then I find the Trafalgar taste to be slightly more elegant, its flavors more favorably refined than the Quite Nice). Being only the fourth one to review this blend (which is really hard to fathom, given Trafalgar’s release date) and with the first three reviewers having already said pretty much everything there is to say about Trafalgar, the only thing really left to say is that Trafalgar is as classically English as its name. Highly recommended; not to be missed. 4-suns.

Emeritus Account Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Emeritus Account (28790)

This is a very comfortable blend to smoke however... no harshness or bite. It didn't produce as much flavor or sweetness as anticipated but at least the Latakia does not overwhelm & gives the other varietals a chance to attend the party & toward the end of the bowl, is not so notable. There is only a very slight sweetness in this mixture. I prefer the Balkan flavor far & above any English Blend I've ever smoked. This is a typical blend for those who prefer a "lighter," English Latakia offering & might find this blend quite appealing, as did I.

I'm staying with Levant which I thought was exceptional & produced a more suitable flavor for me. However, we're all different & taste is subjective & I'm sure there will be many who will favor Trafalgar tremendously & I hope they like it as much as I liked the Levant... my new best friend. Trafalgar can be an all day companion, will leave little or no condensation... depending on pipe quality & burns down to a dry, grayish white dottle.

Pipe Used: Cob, D. S. Huber Bent Dublin, Cavicchi CCC

Age When Smoked: A few months

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Similar Blends: Lighter English Latakia offerings... I'm not a heavy hitter w/English blends & tend to stay with quality Balkan mixtures due to more sweetness & Oriental flavor...

Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (62)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

A few years ago I deleted all my one and two star reviews. As the saying goes, when discussing people, "if you have nothing good to say, don't say anything". I decided that this should apply to pipe tobacco reviews also. Why write about a blend that you can't recommend to other pipe smokers. Fortunately, Trafalgar is not such a blend. With regards to Trafalgar; I found this blend to be perfectly blended and delicious to smoke. This is a mixture that deserves the highest accolades. It exhibits layers of flavor and is very satisfying. Unfortunately, it is too full for my tastes. That doesn't mean that I can't recommend it to pipesters who enjoy full-flavored blends. For those, I heartily give Trafalgar a well-earned 4 star rating, and Greg Pease kudos for having created it.

Pipe Used: Lorenzetti Constantine 9mm Filter

Purchased From: Smokingpipes (Exclusively)

Jan Teeter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jan Teeter (5)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Starts off as a real mild English, smooth and elegant with no rough edges. The orientals and Virginia work together to create a woody sweet flavor backed up by smoky notes from the Latakia. The perique is light and almost non existent at this point. (Luckily this changes later.)

The smoke is thin and wispy, delivering a nice cool smoking experience. Just enough to taste the tobacco, but not enough to overwhelm and linger on your palate. I have smoked the Levant mixture by D&S and this is quite a bit lighter and much more smooth.

Midway through the bowl the strength picks up to in between mild and medium. The orientals start producing a Peaty flavor similar to a macallan scotch. The perique comes now in a big way , creating a tingle in my nose and adding a plumy sweetness to the retro-hale.

Onto the finish - full of plum and figgy fruit flavors taking over the smoke. At this point I had to scratch my head ... wondering if this was an English. The tobacco now has adopted the fruitiness of a navy flake.

I absolutely love the progression of flavor this tobacco delivers! It doesn’t need age to perform well, you can smoke this now. Four stars without a doubt!

- Jan

Pipe Used: Radice Rind Lovat

Similar Blends: Nothing I’ve ever had.

Criblo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Criblo (31)

It is basically Blairgowrie with more Latakia. This is not a bad thing and a beautiful tasting blend. To me it reminds me of Aston Artisan Blend but with better Virginias and that kind of butterscotch taste it shares with Blairgowrie. I will give this a 4 but will say my only complaint with these Drucquer & Sons blends is how dry they are in the tin. They have the opposite problem of many blends and seem too dry. I'd rather s blend be a little too wet so I can get it dry as needed. A boveda pack in the jar gets it perfect in a week or so. Fresh out the tin it is good but fast burning and ashy.

Emeritus Account Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Emeritus Account (28790)

This is a very good English blend w/Latakia. I've never favored English blends all that much with the exception of MM965, Old Dublin & Tree Mixture which I thought tasted more like Balkan blends. So, I thought I'd give this a try. If you were to take some Blairgowrie & mix in the right proportion of Levant, you'd have something akin to Trafalgar. I'm nearly halfway through my first bowl & that is my initial impression of Trafalgar. This mixture, like Blairgowrie & Levant smokes mildly & still packs a pretty good dose of Vitamin N but not as much strength or flavor as Levant. Of the three Drucquer blends I've sampled thus far, Blairgowrie, Levant & Trafalgar, this is my least favorite with Levant taking first place.

Pipe Used: Cob, D. S. Huber Bent Dublin, Cavicchi CCC