Notes: According to the catalog from tabac-semois.com:

Le Petit Robin is Coupe Fine/ Thin cut. Réserve du Patron is Coupe Moyenne/ Middle Cut. La Brumeuse is Grosse Coupe/ Big Cut.

BrandTabac Manil
Taste

3.8
DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (216)

Due to the extraordinarily thin cut of this tobacco, I prefer to smoke it in a pipe with a longer stem. Needless to say, my one and only formerly neglected churchwarden has been getting a lot of attention lately. As for the cut, Le Petit Robin is as shaggy as shag comes, so firm packing and a slow sipping cadence is a must, otherwise it does tend to burn hot.

For those like myself who found Manil's thick cut, pure La Brumeuse Semois a little too earthy, but simultaneously enjoyed certain aspects of its unique flavor, Manil's one and only semois based blend could very well be a must try.

The flavor of Le Petit Robin covers the entire spectrum. It's lightly sweet, earthy, grassy and full of fine subtleties. The side stream has a delicate floral quality and the finish is piquant and long. The semois flavor is very much in the mix, lending body and its signature mineral taste. The brighter tobaccos lend a sweeter, verdant & woodsy quality to the taste and provide a perfect counterpoint to the semois.

Altogether, this is an excellent, well balanced, natural blend that I can only describe as a real treasure from the Ardennes Valley. While I enjoyed Manil's La Brumeuse, Le Petit Robin hightlights Vincent Manil's skill as a tobacco blender and obviously he's an expert because this particular offering is superb.

The semois burley is very nutty, very woody, mildly spicy, earthy, lightly floral, mildly dry, and cigar-like with a little cocoa, and perhaps a few drops of molasses. it also has a touch of cigarette. It is the main component by virtue of its strength, if not by its composition status. The very grassy, hay-like, citrusy, bready vegetative bright Virginia has a bit of power as well. The brown Virginia provides a little dark fruit and a bit of earth and wood as a condiment. There may be another varietal in the mix, but it’s hard to define what it could be. There’s a sugar note that either comes from a casing or perhaps the brown Virginia. The nic-hit is a step past the mild to medium mark. The strength and taste levels are medium. It won’t bite unless you exercise freight train puffing. Being a very thin shag cut, it will burn fast and very warm, so I recommend a sipping pace and tight pack in the bowl. Has a couple rough edges. Burns clean and quickly with a very deep, consistent range of savory flavors from start to finish. Easily burns to ash with very few relights, and leaves no moisture in the bowl. Has a rich, pleasantly lingering after taste. Not quite an all day smoke, but it’s very repeatable. Four stars for the flavor, three and a half stars overall.

-JimInks

moniker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
moniker (159)

The story from Tabac Manil is that it took Vincent Manil several years to develop his Le Petit Robin pipe tobacco. Though everyone knows LPR contains Manil’s signature Semois, M’s mum about the other tobaccos he uses here. After sniffing and smoking LPR, I suppose he uses selected flue and air cured VAs, including some lemon and some brown leaf. Le Petit Robin is an incredibly fine shag cut that is pressed into 3.5 oz. blocks and wrapped in “paper foil” that is over wrapped with a nice, retro, paper label. Pulling at the tobacco brick, the very fine strands of tobacco are amazingly long. The tobacco is dry but not dusty dry. Still, the super-fine strands ensure that tobacco dust is produced in quantity any time this tobacco is handled incautiously. The brick smells somewhat of Semois, which is to say like Burly and also mildly cigar-like, with musty, earthy, spices, maybe some cocoa and mushroom, but there is also a more pervasive, grassy, faintly floral aroma that wafts up. Overall, LPR smells more subdued than Manil’s La Brumuse (pure Semois), and I detect no topping (perhaps there is very light casing). Because of LPR’s propensity to turn to dust when it’s handled, I try to pull a small, continuous wad from the brick like I might pull a cotton ball off a larger wad of cotton batting. To smoke LPR, I pack it into a #3 – 4 bowl that has not been used for “dark” blends, including American KY. Then, I light it slowly and puff it as gently as possible while keeping it lit. For me, LPR is best sipped, which allows me to enjoy its ethereal secondary tastes and scents along with its primary VA and Semois. The smoke begins softly and gently, and I love to fill the air around my head with great, profuse clouds of this naturally, subtly aromatic smoke. The smells and tastes both move from lighter and mid-band VAs to Semois as a bowl is smoked down. The smoking aromas are myriad, including grasses, moss, herbs and floral spices, and the musty, cigar-ish spices are condimental if the burn rate is kept slow. Tastes parallel the aromas, along with some cashew and a little tannin, and it is just bitter enough to be bracing. IMO, it strikes a nice balance between interesting and relaxing. Strength is more medium than mild, and for all the delicacy of the side streams, tastes move from mild toward and finally a little over medium as one concludes a bowl. Room note is pleasant, and aftertaste is a nice trailing off of the smoke, providing one keeps the fine ash at bay.

Overall, Le Petit Robin is just what I’m hoping for when I try a new-to-me tobacco, namely well-bred, well-behaved, tasty, and unique, also quite satisfying. Four stars. Well done, Vincent Manil.

Pipe Used: Various briars; group 3 - 4 with an easy draw

Age When Smoked: right off a "fresh" brick

Purchased From: 4Noggins

Similar Blends: compare/contrast to well-aged and rested GLP Montgomery.

eon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
eon (12)

Now here is a blend that caught me unawares. Having smoked close to forty blends over the past decade, I was not expecting something to redefine what a pipe tobacco can be. Yet that is precisely my impression of Le Petit Robin.

As others have noted, the cut itself is almost a category of its own. It is extremely thin and fuzzy in a very pleasant, bohemian way. I tend to pack Le Petit Robin quite light, and consequently, the burn rate is pretty much doubled compared to my regular Virginia-Perique and Latakia blends. Strangely enough, I cannot say I detected any negatives from this, despite having a palate prone to bite. The bowl ends faster and that is all. It burns very dry and clean, and I admit sinning against one of my ground rules by refilling the same bowl immediately once or twice. That this brought no noticeable ill effects to taste or moisture only proves how well behaved the little Robin is.

The taste is even further apart from anything I have tried before or since. I find it hard to pin down the flavor but what it reminds me of the most is malty bread. The smoke is rich and creamy with hints of sweetness throughout. Overall, the flavour is not something I have ever found myself craving. But that is probably down to the fact that it is really quite unlike anything else and is thus an acquired taste in the true sense of the term.

I can easily see this as an everyday smoke for someone who likes its unique taste profile. Whether you do or not can only be ascertained by filling a bowl - which is something everyone should do at least twice or thrice. If only to take a path less traveled. It will be an adventure worth the detour.

Pipe Used: Hilson Barbi dublin

Similar Blends: A class of its own!.

FreePancakesForAll Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FreePancakesForAll (10)
Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

I'm going to keep this one brief.

Vincent Manil's Le Petit Robin is absolute perfection. Grassy and sweet virginias (maybe?) with a subtle addition of earthy and floral semois. The fine shag cut guarantees an effortless smoke every time.

This is hands down one of the easiest blends to smoke. I take a smaller pipe (clay works best), wad up a ball of Robin, and stuff into the pipe. No three layers, no Franks, etc. Just wad up a ball and stuff it in. It burns quick so be sure to smoke slow and gentle. You'll be rewarded with a flavorful, strong smoke.

I wasn't a huge fan of the original release from Manil. Even as a lifelong cigar smoker, it just didn't do it for me. Just too much. This is a perfectly balanced blend now.

Pipe Used: Clays

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Similar Blends: Gawith Kendal shag if you threw in some shag cut burley. It's really a beast of its own..

Pryhosm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pryhosm (189)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Now this is the most unique pipe tobacco I have tried to date. The presentation merits a comment in a review. This comes in a very neat gold brick with very nice (IMO) "old school" paper labeling. I comes as a brick of peat moss...well it is tobacco but it looks just like peat moss to me. It is a solid mossy brick and is unlike anything I have put in a pipe. It is also dry, according to Webster dry. I actually took some and put it in my survival kit to use as tinder, it is that dry. I have not smoked the pure Semois version from Tabac Manil, disclaimer. This is a cool blend. Tin note is a light floral and packaged cigarette like. It also has a light cigar note: like a Macanudo or Ashton Connecticut shade mild cigar. Very earthy "tobacco" notes. This tobacco is very pleasant, it is a light vegetal smoke, earthy, woody and dry. It also has a lot of tannins, like a black tea or Chianti in body. The flavors are reminiscent of Burley, but not a direct comparison. I do not get the nutty flavor I get with most Burley blends but it has that woody quality that is not quite Oriental and quite unique. The other tobacco's are not named but I would guess that they are Virginia based, a light sweetness and very grassy hay like. Not old damp hay but more like fresh cut dry hay bales. The parallel to cigar that I have read in other reviews is certainly there but not the cigars I enjoy. I am a Maduro fan and Nicaraguan cigar fan. This is more like Mexican leaf. Very straight forward with little nuance. There is a noticeable nic hit. I do not inhale and toward the end of the bowl I got a little light headed and felt that not so pleasant feeling in my stomach (I am a nic light weight). I enjoyed this smoke, it is not an all day or even an every other day smoke for me but I do find myself going for it every few weeks. prior to the review I smoked it every day for a week to get a good feel for it. Pack this tight and smoke it slowly. I noticed that in a cob it has a bit more sweetness and is a bit more flavorful, especially in my Cobbit Churchwarden (a bit more forgiving if you puff more frequently than suggested). I would give this a try, especially if you like mild cigars.

Pipe Used: Cobs and briars

Age When Smoked: fresh from brick

Purchased From: pipe's and Cigars

Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

There's a lot of tobacco packaged in this brick-shaped, gold foil, wrapped container. It didn't feel like it weighed 3 1/2 ounces when I received it but I didn't put it on a scale. I concluded that it had dried out some so I hydrated it within a zip-lock bag with a pouch humidifier for a couple of weeks. Afterwards, I could feel that it had gained a little weight. It is not packaged to retain moisture & the folded ends are not sealed. It will inevitably contain a moisture content of its environment. I had read reviews prior to purchasing & pretty much knew what to expect & it is very tightly packed within the brick.

I unfolded the end & gave it a whiff and noticed the unmistakable aroma of tea & Belgian Burley. I don't believe it's a topping note... hard to tell. I've smelled this tea-like aroma in another blend before. I think it "may" have been the Peterson's Sherlock Holmes blend. Anyway, I immediately noticed the extreme fine cut of this mixture... even finer maybe than a steel wool pad but it works. The moisture content at this point seemed just about right for smoking but maybe still just a tad on the dry side. I pinched off enough to fill a size three bowl & stuffed it fairly tight as other reviewers had suggested which turned out to work very well for a proper burn rate. It quickly takes to the match & instantly glows cherry red all across the bowl with just a brief touch of the flame.

Upon the charring light I got a burst of flavor that improved considerably after about 1/3 had burned off & provided more flavor & a better taste without any harshness. I loved this Belgian Burley flavor combined with the VA from the very first puff but the third ingredient or ingredients seem destined to remain a mystery but whatever, the varietals play well together. I've never seen or tasted anything like it before. Very unique indeed & fairly strong. It must be packed tight & drawn lightly to get the best flavor & won't bite if puffing cadence is properly controlled. It has a tingly sensation on the palate & leaves a pleasant aftertaste. I liked this well enough to reopen the package & load up again. I'll be keeping this in my rotation as long as it's available & ordered another brick & will be filling up my Mason jars & try to retain a proper moisture content. From my experience with cigars, cigarette & pipe tobacco, they all seem to smoke best with the proper moisture content & I suspect that Le Petite Robin is no different.

This tobacco possesses a unique flavor & aroma that I really enjoy & tempts me with the desire to smoke subsequent bowls. I can't possibly explain the flavoring of Le Petite Robin but JimInks's review probably pinned it down. I never noticed the slightest cigar taste & I'm thinking there may be some Turkish mixed in. It doesn't produce any condensation while smoking & quickly burns down to a fine gray dottle & oddly enough, only leaves a mild tobacco smell/odor or room note behind that is fairly pleasant & seems to quickly dissipate. I've previously mentioned that my olfactory glands may require some maintenance or fine tuning but regardless, this is my take on Tabak Manil's Le Petite Robin. Great stuff!

Pipe Used: D. S. Huber Bent Dublin/Pete 312 Sterling

Age When Smoked: Fairly Fresh Brick

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes, Pipes & Cigars

Similar Blends: Only mixture like it on this planet...

B Short Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
B Short (6)

When it first came out in 2016, (or at least that's when I bought some) I smoked about half of the brick and put the other half away. In 2016, the blend was sweet, nutty, and a bit harsh. Very enjoyable but just had to take it slow. Back then (fresh) I would have given it a 3 star rating. After jarring the other half and aging for 2 years, this blend has mellowed out and balanced its self. This now tastes like a va/bur/or blend with maybe some cigar leaf. The description doesn't mention orientals or cigar leaf but after some aging I swear i can taste them. There maybe none in the blend but this blend after 2 years tastes more like pebble cut by mcclelland mixed with maduro. Still nutty, not as sweet as it was when fresh, and a bit tangy from either the Virginia's or aged burley? If there are no orientals in this then I must be crazy. Give this time to age and settle, you'll be pleased. It Really does now taste like a high quality mcclelland blend or something. Bravo Vincent at tabac manil.

Pipe Used: Clays and churchwardans

Similar Blends: When fresh? Nothing. When aged? Pebble cut by mcclelland.

Doctor Willet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Doctor Willet (12)

I have a very broad palette with regards to what I like, and I've found "Le Petit Robin" to be pure pipe smoking bliss. Whenever I get a new blend, I always like to see when I'm done with the first pipe, will I want another; with "Le Petit Robin", I smoked three. Since I got it two days ago, I haven't smoked anything else.

This is a very smooth, flavorful, and unique tobacco that is unlike anything I've ever had before. From what I've been told and read, I would guess that "Le Petit Robin" is the mildest of the three offerings from Tabac Manil. The shag cut makes for a wonderfully behaved and even-smoking blend. The flavor, tin note, and room note all have these wonderfully complex notes.

I can only get caught up in using bizarre adjectives, and echo others' words. It has the smoothness of a well-aged Burley, with wisps of the characteristic sweet, grassy flavors of a Virginia, along with that distinctly flavorful aroma and flavor of an Oriental such as Katerini. As many have admitted, it is so incredibly difficult to put a finger on precisely what Semois tastes like. The fact that "Le Petit Robin" is blended with other tobacco from the region makes it all the more complex both in its flavors and aromas, and in trying to describe this unusual profile. I suppose that's all part of the beauty. What I can be absolutely certain about, is that it's delicious beyond description. At any rate, this is most definitely a unique gem that is not to be ignored by adventurous pipe tobacco aficionados.

Pipe Used: Ropp Vintage apple (1.4" x 0.75" chamber)

Purchased From: SmokingPipes

Blackhorse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blackhorse (96)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Tolerable

Eval'd. as a MYO cigarette using Zen king size full flavor tubes (red). This tobacco is perhaps the "very most" in two ways. First, it surely is the finest shag I've ever seen (handles being stuffed into a tube very well). Second, it is likely the most expensive blend I've ever purchased at $25 per 3.5 oz package. That's over $100/lb.! Yikes! Is it worth it? Well, in a way. It's not going to be an everyday smoke for me. It's special occasion stuff for sure. But it IS very, very good as a cigarette. For those that have never indulged in pipe tobacco cigs...note that blends that are super light and even boring in a pipe come alive smoked as a cig. Stokkebye Turkish, Norwegian & Amsterdam come to mind. As does Gawith Kendal Gold. Then there is perhaps the premier blends, Daughter & Ryan...esp. 3 Sails. I use a Powermatic Mini injector to stuff tubes and it does a magnificent job though it's one of the lowest cost machines out there at $17. Built like a tank. But back to the Petit Robin. It's notable as has been described in that it is the only Semois BLEND, using 30% Semois. It has a very distinctive cocoa burley lightly floral note. Very fine indeed. It stuffs well as it comes in the pack once it is pulled apart and fluffed to an even consistency. I can't recommend this as a pipe blend as I've never smoked it that way. But as a cigarette tobacco ( and let me testify that the hobbyist injector machines put out a "small cigar" that is so vastly superior to any over the counter smoke they may as well be from another planet...they're that good) this stuff is crazy wonderful.

Pipe Used: MYO with Zen full flavor tubes

Age When Smoked: Used as soon as purchased

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

Similar Blends: Other Semois Tobaccos.

dixcreek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dixcreek (128)

Sweet grassy with an earthy nutty roasted grain taste. Very shaggy, could say beyond shaggy! An interesting mixture to say the least. Can burn hot due to the cut, so pack it pretty tight and keep the tamper handy. Easy to the match and a consistent flavor profile throughout the bowl. The nose out of the package put me in mind of the tobacco barn when we had booked down several sticks of good red tips and let them mellow for a year. I think this is one you should try if you like burley and bright leaf mixtures. Am interested to see how it ages, if I don't smoke it up too quickly!

Pipe Used: MM devil acorn

Age When Smoked: New brick

Purchased From: Smoking pipes

Sergius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sergius (5)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is exactly what I'm looking for in a Virginia/Burley blend, but unlike most such blends on the market, the Semois component in this just delivers so much more flavor. Not that I dislike other blends, but the Burley we're all familiar with is more one-dimensionally "nutty" and not as rich as Semois. The Semois offers a good nutty flavor as you would expect, but there is also more musk, more spice, and of course its signature earthiness. Combined with the Virginias, this blend comes together like the smells of a walk in autumn woods. It's truly a special, luxurious, yet simple and effortless experience. Hats off to Mr. Manil for developing this blend. It's my favorite of the bunch. I plan to get a very large mason jar and just stock up on Le Petit Robin to keep it long term.

Pipe Used: Ray Kurusu Billiard

Purchased From: SmokingPipes.com

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The Semois is earthy and a little nutty and has a lot of body. The "blond" taste a whole lot like bright Virginias to me and I suspect that's just what it is. Sweet hay. Altogether this is more or less a VaBur and a pretty good one at that. As Drums said you need to pack this firmly and smoke slow or you'll create an inferno. Flavor is good enough for 4 stars, but I'm deducting one for the heat.

Medium to strong in body. No added flavorings. Taste is medium. Burns very well, perhaps too well.

Pipe Used: MM Marcus, Country Gentleman, Mark Twain

Mork Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mork (69)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Unnoticeable

Le Petit Robin, Tobac Manil

Tin Description: Le Petit Robin may just be the most unique and flavorful tobacco in the world… and no, that’s not hyperbole. Named after Vincent’s son Robin, Le Petit Robin is Tabac Manil’s first ever blend and the first ever tobacco mixture containing Semois leaf being used as a condimental tobacco. The bulk of the blend is a not-too-sweet blond that Vincent had been tinkering with for over a decade. He eventually tabled the recipe for several years, but now its finally being released for all to enjoy! The blend contains 30% Semois and 70% a mixture of mellow, smooth golden tobaccos, but good luck getting the contents of the blond portion from Vincent… he’s not talking. The hay-like sweetness of the blond perfectly balances and mellows the sharp floral, mineral, and cigar like Semois leaf. Packed tightly, this dry, shag cut blend smokes wonderfully without any need to relight. Le Petit Robin is a masterpiece.

Storage/Age: 1-2years, roughly. Mason jar.

Flavor Profile:

A wildly unique tobacco. Sense profile time.

Fallen leaves that have been soaked by snow. Earth, moss, hay. Mild sweet notes, dark and rich. A slight edge, the hint of smelling a cigar wrapper which has spent some time in cedar. Dried herbs. The whisper of a spice rack from a room away. Burnt edges from a brownie that was left too long in the oven. The echo of the best cigarette you’ve ever had, the taste of one after you’ve had too much to drink and the girl you like gives you one before you kiss. Satisfying on some primal level.

Subjective Musings:

I don’t know how to review this tobacco. It’s completely unique in the pipe world, at least based on what I’ve tried. The semois mixed with whatever variation of VAs (or whatever the 70% that isn’t semois is actually made up of) is off on an island by itself.

This isn’t an all the time tobacco. It doesn’t satisfy any of the normal cravings one might have in a pipe. It isn’t fruity, or particularly sweet. There’s no cream or caramel. There’s no citrus. It just doesn’t fall into any normal set of profiles. But it is, at the same time, wildly satisfying from the perspective of pure intense tobacco.

The ultra shag cut looks like its too fine even for a cigarette (though I will say, when I’m given my two weeks to live, I’m going to smoke a bunch of this in ultra thin papers and just return to my hayday of unfiltered cigarettes with wild abandon). I keep talking about cigarettes, but it doesn’t taste like any cigarette I’ve ever had. But it evokes it for some reason, in the best possible way.

Ultra dry and ultra fine, you have to pack this in about four times as densely as you would for a normal ribbon otherwise it’ll be gone in under five minutes. As it is I’m going to finish a 106 Sav bowl before I even get to the final thoughts and I write these as single draft streams of consciousness with extreme typing speed from years of professional writing.

A spectacular tobacco once every six months for me. I’ve literally smoked two bowls, including this one, in the last year.

Cellar Notes/Final Thoughts:

Though it’s 30% Semois, there’s an unaccounted for 70% which appears to have benefited from jar time. There is enough activity in the jar to create a tight seal over a few months of being closed. Nowhere near a one year old jar of straight VA, but enough to make me think something’s eating something in there. And it has changed since I first got this blend, for the better.

Buy a single brick and try it. Leave it in a jar and try it again. No amount of reading what I have to say will explain this tobacco to you- it’s something you have to experience for yourself. I personally find it worthwhile. I also find it nearly impossible to compare to anything else, so my rating below is going to be pure gut.

Rating: 8.7/10. Ignore the “more than a few tins part”. One brick is going to last me a decade at the rate I’m smoking it. But it’s worth the experience of having it and I feel it’s an exceptional genre defying tobacco.

Rating Scale:

3 - I’ll Finish the Bowl, I guess

2 - I Wish I Hadn’t Done This

1 - Why Would This Get Produced

0 - Dump the Bowl

Brief Overview of Reviewer’s General Tastes: I am primarily a VA (and it’s variant combination forms) smoker who has great affinity for SG and comparable EU manufactured blends, along with a few of the US micro blender shops. I do enjoy English/Balkan blends on occasion and a few very specific tobacco forward aromatics. I am exceptionally picky about blends and tend to cellar deep and narrow on things, reserving the bulk of my cellar planning and space for items I find to be of significant worth as far as taste and experience. Anything of quality, but not of obsessive value to me, is cellared and purchased as condimental flavor breaks between my regular rotation.

Indianapolis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Indianapolis (17)
Medium to Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Whoa..... what a cool smoke. If you're looking for something different in a nice, natural, every day tobacco, give this a try.

It really is different. Think the sweetness of a good virginia, a little nuttiness like a burley, and an occasional VERY LIGHT cigar-like ashiness. The cut is very very fine, it comes super dry in the package, and burns awesome. Since it is a little faster burn, use a slightly larger pipe and sip.

Its not an "in your face" blend AT ALL. It's subtle but highly complex. Every taste shows me a little different side. One taste will be a little grassier, then next a little sweeter, the next a little richer tobacco flavor. I'm going to age about 10 oz of this and see if those complexities develop or if it becomes more uniform, but after a few months it's keeping that "draw by draw" complexity that is fascinating.

Because of the complexity, I could smoke this stuff non-stop, because every draw is lovely, different, and fun.

Not big and bold and brash -- just lovely and evolving. What a treat. Oh, and a nice little nic-hit to boot. Yum.

Pipe Used: Briars and Meerchaums

Age When Smoked: Fresh - 6 mo

Snappo's Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Snappo's Pipe (20)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Such a beautiful CLASSIC pipe tobacco. So flavorful and satisfying. World Class! Burns fast so temper puff cadence. Wonderfull... cellar deep! Doesn't age... perfect as is!!!!!

Pipe Used: Cob

Age When Smoked: 5+ years

Purchased From: SP

Similar Blends: None.

Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is an extremely fine cut shag blend that is fairly dry due to the packaging. My first sniff noted a slight tea aroma which I noticed in another blend I once sampled... I believe it was Pete's Sherlock Holmes. The charring light produced a burst of flavor that improved considerably after about 1/3 had burned off & provided more flavor & a better taste without any harshness. I loved this Belgian Burley flavor combined with the VA from the very first puff but the third ingredient or ingredients seem destined to remain a mystery but I think it's an Oriental variety. Whatever, the varietals play well together. I've never seen or tasted anything like it before. Very unique indeed & fairly strong.

There's a lot of tobacco packaged in this brick-shaped, gold foil, wrapped container. It didn't feel like it weighed 3 1/2 ounces when I received it but I didn't put it on a scale. It comes in a very dry state so I hydrated it within a zip-lock bag with a pouch humidifier for a couple of weeks. Afterwards, I could feel that it had gained a little weight. It is not packaged to retain moisture & the folded ends are not sealed. It will inevitably contain a moisture content of its environment. I had read reviews prior to purchasing & pretty much knew what to expect & it is very tightly packed within the brick.

It must be packed tight & drawn lightly to get the best flavor & won't bite if puffing cadence is properly controlled. It has a tingly sensation on the palate & leaves a pleasant aftertaste. I liked this well enough to reopen the package & load up again. I'll be keeping this in my rotation as long as it's available & ordered another brick & will be filling up my Mason jars after a proper moisture content is achieved. From my experience with cigars, cigarette & pipe tobacco, they all seem to smoke best with the proper moisture content & from my experience, Le Petite Robin is no different.

I stored this in a Mason jar after hydrating to about 65-69% humidity & pinch off a quick bowlful on many occasions. There's a lot of fairly dry tobacco... hard-packed in one of these bricks that can be quickly hydrated to increase weight & proper smoking moisture & thus, found it to be a great value... a fine blend that will remain in my rotation. FWIW, I preferred the flavor of this over that of Tabac Manil's Reserve Du Patron & will stick with this one... just right for me.

Pipe Used: Cavicchi (CCC), 312 Sterling Pete, Huber Dublin

Age When Smoked: Fresh Brick

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes, Pipes & Cigars

Similar Blends: Nothing similar to any tobacco I've sampled before...

Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

This is an extremely fine cut shag blend that is fairly dry due to the packaging. The charring light produced a burst of flavor that improved considerably after about 1/3 had burned off & provided more flavor & a better taste without any harshness. I loved this Belgian Burley flavor combined with the VA from the very first puff but the third ingredient or ingredients seem destined to remain a mystery but I think it's an Oriental variety. Whatever, the varietals play well together. I've never seen or tasted anything like it before. Very unique indeed & fairly strong.

It must be packed tight & drawn lightly to get the best flavor & won't bite if puffing cadence is properly controlled. It has a tingly sensation on the palate & leaves a pleasant aftertaste. I liked this well enough to reopen the package & load up again. I'll be keeping this in my rotation as long as it's available & ordered another brick & will be filling up my Mason jars & try to retain a proper moisture content. From my experience with cigars, cigarette & pipe tobacco, they all seem to smoke best with the proper moisture content & from my experience, Le Petite Robin is no different.

If you're looking for a quick tobacco preparation with an easy load and good flavor & a decent burning rate, you might consider giving this one a try. Much better than expected. I plan on sampling all the Tabac Manil offerings & liked this one well enough to prompt a purchase of the Reserve Du Patron brick & will give my review on that shortly. I found this blend to be "convenient," easy to use, takes readily to the match, burns to the smoker's preparation choice/preference & produces little or no moisture. It has a captivating taste & aroma. Stored this in a Mason jar with around 65- 69% humidity & pinch off a quick bowlful on many occasions. There's a lot of fairly dry tobacco... hard-packed in one of these bricks that can be quickly hydrated to increase weight & proper smoking moisture & thus, found it to be a great value... a fine blend that will remain in my rotation.

Pipe Used: Cavicchi (CCC), 312 Sterling Pete, Huber Dublin

Age When Smoked: Fresh Brick

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes, Pipes & Cigars

Similar Blends: Nothing that I've ever sampled before..

Pecci Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pecci (9)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

The smell out the wrap is wonderful. The cut is way beyond "shag", or at least any other that I have seen. It deserves a name of it's own. Perhaps "fuzz" would be appropriate. It comes dry and do to this in combination to the "fuzz'', It burns as quickly as a pyle of 3 yr.old leaves would in Death Valley. As a result, I did get a little tongue-burn, but only because of my quick pace. It was like, it burned so fast, I wanted my money's worth.

The good news ... I thought it tastes good, especially during 1st light and if your lucky enough to have any relights. Room not was floral and very enjoyable. To me, the floral note transfers to the taste, but with the addition of an earthy quality. There is a very slight grassy flavor that stays in the background, and I would love to know the mystery addition to this blend. I'm tempted to fire-up Google Earth and pan in close enough to read any top secret order list that might be labeled on a stack of "in-coming!" ;)

I found the nic-hit to be in the mid-range, probably because my cadence being rapid.

It's unique, with a great history/story/ mystery behind this blend. As a result, I think every piper would choose to experience this.

Pipe Used: Smallish MM Cob & lg. bent stubby Custombilt

Age When Smoked: 1 week

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Similar Blends: Nothing on the planet Earth!.