Made of burley, Virginia, black cavendish and latakia.

Notes: John Cotton's Sweet English is where the English-style latakia blend meets a gentle aromatic. Burley, Virginia and black cavendish are blended with enough latakia to make this a great choice when you want to enjoy a pipe but want a pleasant room note - gentle enough to enjoy all day.

BrandJohn Cotton
Blended ByRuss Ouellette
Manufactured ByLane, Ltd.
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Burley, Latakia, Virginia
Packaging1.75 ounce tin
Strength
Taste

The grassy, tart and tangy citrusy Virginia is the base of the blend, and has a little dullness. The nutty, earthy, woody, molasses sweet burley is a supporting player, and not forceful in any way. The unsweetened black cavendish adds some brown sugar smoothness. The Cyprian Latakia is lightly smoky, earthy, musty and woody sweet, and does just a little more than underscore the experience. I’m not sure what the sweet, very lightly creamy topping is, but I get something almost vanilla-like, and it tones down the tobaccos a little. The strength is a step past the mild mark, while the taste is close to the center of mild to medium. The nic-hit is very mild. Won’t bite or get harsh. Burns cool and clean at a reasonable pace with a very consistent sweet and mildly savory flavor. Leaves some moisture in the bowl, and requires a few relights. Has a pleasant, short lived after taste and room note. Can be an all day English aromatic smoke. Two and a half stars.

-JimInks

lasix1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lasix1 (6)

If you enjoy cross-over blends or light English ones, you should try this. Russ Ouellette has done his job well in re-creating the classics from John Cotton. Sweet English's sweetness comes from black Cavendish, perfectly married with Burley, Virginia and the lightest touch of Cypriot Latakia. To my taste, he's got it down perfectly. I have a pipe full to start the day and it goes very well with black coffee. Everything about this blend is gentle. The Virginia's are sweet, the black Cavendish tones everything down and the Latakia is so pleasant and understated that the untrained nose will not be offended. My wife, whose disdain for Latakia is legendary in our house, remarked the other day when I came in from smoking Sweet English how pleasant it was. I almost fell down the stairs! This is now my go-to blend and I'm on about my sixth tin. If only I could talk Russ into packing it in 8 oz. barrels, I'd be very happy.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Punto Oro

Similar Blends: The Mind Meld Sweet English (No Longer Available).