From P&C's website: On a shelf in a warehouse, a small quantity of special small-leaf tobaccos were found. When they were discovered, they were offered to Joe Lankford, the blender of the Seattle Pipe Club blends. Rather than coming up with a whole new blend, Joe took these rare tobaccos and substituted them for some of the Orientals in his very popular Plum Pudding. Plum Pudding Special Reserve is a limited release version of his bold Balkan cake in a 4 oz. plug, featuring these very rare sun-cured tobaccos.

BrandSeattle Pipe Club
Where to Buy PipesAndCigars.com
Strength
Taste

3.6

Though it is true that the smoky, woody, musty sweet Cyprian Latakia is the most important component, the other constituent tobaccos synergistically combine to form a cohesive, multi-dimensional flavor. The black stoved and red Virginias are also upgraded leaf especially for this Reserve blend. They offer earth and a little grass, fermented tangy ripe, stewed dark fruit and citrus with a light barbecue essence. The sun cured Orientals not present in the original Plum Pudding add a bit more sweetness, depth and dimension to the complexity. The dry, buttery sweet and sour, wood and smoke from the Orientals also sport a pinch of salt in the background, a little less so than they do in the other version due to the upgraded Turkish leaf. There is a continual undercurrent of spice, raisins and figs from the perique, though the spice is lightly more obvious. The unsweetened black cavendish provides a brown sugary smoothness in a small support role. The nicotine status is a shade closer to medium than it is to mild. The strength and taste positions are medium. It won’t bite, and any chance of harshness is tamed by the black cavendish. The pressed kake plug is easily broken apart. The tobacco is a little moist, but I did not feel the need to dry it. I recommend not totally rubbing it out. I broke off small pieces and dropped them into the bowl. It burns a bit slow, cool and clean with a very consistent and intricate, deeply rich and creamy smooth, smoky, woody sweet taste from start to finish. It requires some relights, and leaves just a little moisture in the bowl. It sports a very pleasant, lingering after taste with a stronger room note. It’s not quite an all day smoke, but is certainly repeatable.

Aside from the previously noted differences from the other Plum Pudding, PPSR is a little sweeter, deeper, smoother and richer in flavor, with nearly the same strength and taste levels. Its sweetness has a mildly more fermented character, and the “barbecue” note a tad more pronounced. Well balanced, you’ll notice virtually all of the inherent aspects of the tobaccos in every moment of the experience.

-JimInks

HabaneroHardy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HabaneroHardy (167)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Unnoticeable

I just received this today and no time like the present. It is one solid black and brown block that smelled very earthy and somewhat spicy. I sliced some off with a razor blade, crumbled it and went to town. It is smooth, creamy and spicy and very well blended. The perique must have kicked in because my nostrils even tingled. I have never had the original Plum Pudding but I am definitely going to buy some of that also in the future. It is a tobacco that makes me wonder why am I smoking the other stuff with this around. Not an all day'er but top notch for me. While smoking this I felt like I should be on some British outpost in India a hundred years ago with the sun setting in the background, that exotic.

Pipe Used: PREBEN HOLM PRIVATE A101

Dr.James Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.James (34)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

Seattle Pipe Club’s Plum Pudding Special Reserve is a work of art, presented in a 4 oz. cake, it’s richness is evident. Versatile in how you choose to slice or break apart, it may need some drying time. The velvety smooth Cyprian Latakia is the major component bringing smokey wood to the foreground. Red and stoved Virginias support the Latakia with sweet stewed fruit and a light vegetal nuance. The choice sun dried Orientals add a sour, dry resinous and nutty quality on the palate with a pleasant fragrance on top. Perique adds it’s spicy dark fruit dimension and is perfectly balanced by the malty rich Black Cavendish. The result of all these components working together is a wonderfuly smooth, complex and full bodied smoke, requiring above average relights as it burns clean and somewhat slowly leaving a bit of moisture behind. Won’t bite the tounge. Strength is a solid medium. Leaves a pleasant sweet lingering finish on the palate.

Pipe Used: Various

Similar Blends: Plum pudding.

Aquinas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Aquinas (12)

OMG ! Just one big 4 oz hunk of flavor Hope nobody buys any of this because it is a limited quantity and I am fixin to stock up.

Pipe Used: 1962 Dunhill Shell

Age When Smoked: Freshly opened

Purchased From: P&C

Similar Blends: Plum Pudding.

Valdus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Valdus (1)
Very Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Am I missing something? Did I get the wrong tin? Are my pipes all messed up in the shank or bowl?

I just don't get it. I mean literally, I don't get the flavor of this tobacco, at all. Don't get me wrong, when I open the tin, or when I now open the jar, I get what everyone is talking about, the raisins, the figs, the plums, even the texture I want to dig in with a serving spoon. Sensational. I carried the tin around the house shouting in my best southern drawl "Who wants ploooom puddin'?"

Then I put it in a bowl, lit it and smoked it.

The dreams of dessert were all gone. All I got was empty pipe taste. I tried it with an MM, that was a bit better. I tried it with a tilshead upshall, nothing, could not taste. Only the smoke leaving the pipe had anything that I would call a taste at all. In fact, to its credit, this was the heaviest and bluest smoke I have ever known. This would not be such a bad thing if it were not for the fact that this was the 'Special Reserve' at almost double the price. If not for that, I do not think that I would have cared- and I got two!

Somebody tell me, is there something amiss in my pipes, in my tobacco, in my palate, in my reality? Is this but a smoking nightmare?

Or is that, after actually reading about the tobacco, I just hate subtle latakia?

Pipe Used: MM, upshall tillshead,

Age When Smoked: current

Purchased From: tobaccopipes.com

Similar Blends: Nothing that I would want to smoke..

nkulk8r Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
nkulk8r (69)

Seattle Pipe Club Plum Pudding Special Reserve:

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways . . .

This stuff makes me want to blast Macklemore from my rooftop at 2 a.m., move to Seattle and root for the Seahawks.

Plum Pudding: What’s in a name?

To most pipe smokers (especially those partial to English or aromatic blends), just the name “Plum Pudding” sounds like something that needs to be smoked (even for those of us who have no idea what genuine plum pudding actually is). So why would Joe Lankford choose to give this blend such a tantalizing, mouthwatering name? Clearly it was a reference to authentic plum pudding, as described here below in this post from Wikipedia:

“Despite the name ‘plum pudding’, the pudding contains no actual plums due to the pre-Victorian use of the word ‘plums’ as a term for raisins. The pudding is composed of many dried fruits held together by egg and suet, sometimes moistened by treacle or molasses and flavoured with cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, ginger, and other spices. The pudding is usually aged for a month or more, or even a year; the high alcohol content of the pudding prevents it from spoiling during this time.”

“Raisins,” “dried fruits,” “treacle,” “molasses” – get it? Just those words alone are enough to kick up a fuss of teasing and tempestuous torment to the taste-buds of we who are conversant in a certain class of combustibles. With no cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves or ginger readily detectable in Plum Pudding or its first cousin, the Special Reserve blend, both versions are quite pleasantly spiced with excellent Orientals and Perique.

Presentation: Big, beautiful, deep-dark (very) brown plug/crumble.

Tin note: Wonderfully sublime bouquet of dark earth and spice, indicative of a masterful mélange of high-quality leaf.

Taste: Extraordinarily remarkable. The Black Cavendish, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, and Virginias all come together, perfectly arranged to create a symphony for the senses. Rich, sweet, creamy-smooth smoke; woody, zesty, tangy, piquant, with dark fruit essence, raisins (as the appellation implies) with brown sugar and fig.

In all honesty, I must confess – if everyone will permit me this bit of blasphemy -- I actually enjoy Plum Pudding Special Reserve as much (or even a tad more) than I do Penzance, and Penzance is pricier than PPSR, even at the retail level (28¢-per-gram for Penzance; 22¢-per-gram for PPSR).

With the fairly recent passing of McClelland and Dunhill tobaccos, and with the exorbitant prices being charged for those hard to find blends, where demand exceeds the existing supply, I have become something of an inveterate, degenerate -- and shamelessly unrepentant -- hoarder of all things exceptional when it comes to the best vegetation to be found in the bowl of a briar. Consequently, I have a sufficient supply of Plum Pudding Special Reserve on hand to last a lifetime (even should I live a few years past my projected expiration date).

Fabulous Balkan blend.

JohnH Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnH (24)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Everything about this tobacco looks enticing, from the 4oz tin design, to the hefty plug waiting, as if in slumber, like a genie in a bottle, to awaken. And awaken it does!

I cut a thickish slice which crumbled off to leave a crumbly flake. I rested it for a while (2 to 3 hours) before crumbling it out further and packing it. In truth I felt it could have had more time to dry, for me it still felt a little wet, but that is by no means a complaint, I wouldn't change the tin moisture, just leave it out a little longer in future.

On lighting this delightful tobacco the Perique pronounced itself in a fresh manor straight away. After the first light the bowl begin to calm and reveal a host of wonderful unique flavours more in line with what I was expecting from this plug. Smoking through the bowl it continued to deliver one of the most moreish smokes I've ever had, it has everything you want and likely expected, a truly wonderful smoke, that can only be described as 'Plumb Pudding'

Edit - 24th November 2018 I've been smoking this occasionally since the inaugural review, so around six months now, and I can't help but notice a slight vinegar note to it. It's only been stored in the original tin, so I doubt it's from an outside element. Whilst I'm still enjoying it, tonight when I really didn't want to smoke anything else I found it a little disappointing. To give it a fare trial I'll try smoking it exclusively over a week or so soon, but for now I have to dock a star.

Pipe Used: Various

Age When Smoked: Fresh - 6 months

Purchased From: Smoking pipes

gladi8tor96 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gladi8tor96 (135)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This was graciously gifted to me by a very amazing pipe maker (DragonBriars). It smelled amazing in the bag. It was a generous chunk off the main cake/plug. It seemed to be the perfect level of moisture. I could smell the latakia but also some spice from the orientals, plenty of wood and earth, and a hint of tang.

It was easy to rub out and load into my pipe. Two matches/lights is all it takes to get this one rolling and keep it going. I didn't have to relight once.

I'll state this upfront. This is a very good tobacco blend, but it seems too mild. I don't know how to describe it other than it left me wanting it to be more bold or rich, less soft and elusive. The flavors are more than well balanced and it reminded me of Margate or Penzance, but more subdued and reserved. It is very oriental forward though the latakia is present in the smoke and plays well off the oriental spice, sourness, and woody flavors. There is some sweetness to it, but very naturally light. The flavors are so good and compliment each other so well. With each puff I just kept on waiting for it to really 'open up', or deliver, and sadly it never did. I tried multiple pipes with the same result. Don't get me wrong, this is an amazing tobacco and I do recommend it. I'm still can't quite give it 4 stars, but it's more like a 3.5+ to me.

It reminded me of Neo in the movie 'The Matrix', when he is talking with the Oracle. He says, "I'm not The One...." and she responds with, "Sorry kid! You've got the gift, but it seems you are waiting on something.".

I'm going to try Plum Pudding soon so I can give a comparison between this blend and that one.

Pipe Used: Dragon Briar Poker, Sav. billard, Hawkbill

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Purchased From: Gifted

Similar Blends: Peter Stokkebye - English Oriental Supreme (No.306).

Planet Scott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Planet Scott (63)

Another well balanced blend. Has a combination of sweet, spicy, robust and smokiness, that as I mentioned is very well balanced. If you are into English blends, you should like this one. If you are not into English blends, you should try this one as the latakia there, but not in an overwhelming manner. I won't say this is a gateway English, but it would be a great introduction.

Gr8tefuldawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gr8tefuldawg (10)

What’s left to say that hasn’t already been said, this is a magnificent blend that gets all the components down perfectly, it smokes like a dream if you let it dry for a good 45 minutes to and hour. Breaks apart easily, and packs easier. The flavor profile is a rich culmination of everything I’ve been looking for in an English/Balkan especially with the sweetness playing with the Latakia and orientals. Glad I have another tin just in case, but will grab another before the winter months as I can see this being a regular winter time smoke. Been smoking this one for last 5 months here and there. Love the red VA’s as it has a true taste and doesn’t feel like an artificial vinegar sweetness.

Pipe Used: Various, review H.I.S churchwarden

Purchased From: Tobacco pipes.com

King Weed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
King Weed (165)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Before opening the tin and and experiencing this blend, I wondered if it was going to be a punched-up version of Plum Pudding. That did not turn out to be the case. In fact, I found Plum Pudding Special Reserve to be weaker than it's stable mate, Plum Pudding. In this, I share sentiments and observations with both reviewer gladi8tor96 2017-02-20 and Criblo 2019-04-10. Like them, I waited for something above the ordinary to happen, but, it didn't. Like them, I thought it was too light a smoke to make a niche for itself in my regular rotation. Slightly confused as to what this blend was trying to be, I reached into my stash and brought out a tin of standard Plum Pudding for a side-by-side comparison. In the tin, both blends look approximately similar. I felt that the standard PP contained a slightly greater amount of the blonde component and that the background matrix was slightly darker than in PPSR. I don't know if this is significant or not, but, I noticed it. The tin aromas were very similar, but, I felt I was detecting a slightly stronger Perique aroma in the PP. Both blends have a deep base aroma with higher register aromas on top. The difference I thought I detected in those higher aromas was Perique dominated in PP and Oriental dominated in PPSR. As to their smoking qualities, I had to work harder at extracting flavor from the PPSR with no such difficulty in the PP. I finally decided that PPSR was an attenuated version of PP. Whether the blenders intended it or not, I don't know, but that's what I found. Although not bad, Plum Pudding Special Reserve does not have the magnitude nor the subtle nature of Plum Pudding and I'm sticking with the original blend - three stars.

Pipe Used: Ashton/NASPC Octagon Dublin Quaint

Age When Smoked: current

Purchased From: an Ebay seller

Similar Blends: It's sibling, Plum Pudding, but weaker; Sillem's Commodore Flake, but weaker, and, finally and most of all, the last version of Smoker's Haven Krumble Kake with it's extra Latakia added..

Whaley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Whaley (4)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A Balkan beauty. If you like plum pudding then don't miss this one. To me I get just a hint more of a tangy taste then I do from the regular plum pudding. It's smooth and delicious.

Clencher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Clencher (5)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This is what a tobacco should be! Rich and buttery with dried fruit and spice that hits both the palate and the nose. This is an amazing tobacco that has quickly made it to my favorites list.

Pipe Used: GBD Varichrome; Grenci Volcano

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars.com

tschenyinkoh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tschenyinkoh (51)

The smokey Latakia, earthy dark Virginia, sweet Black Cavendish, sour Oriental and spicy Perique warmly shine like one thing. Even though the base is Oriental and Virginia, all the ingredients come simultaneously. Crazily good.

Another tricky thing is how he deals with Latakia, as same as the way McClelland - Anniversary 1977-2017 deal with Latakia.

The plug is more like a crumble cake, easy to pack

Age When Smoked: nearly two monthes

Purchased From: pipesandcigars; tobaccopipes

tmick990 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tmick990 (4)

So when i got this in the mail the other day i was super excited to try it. I had heard and read such glowing reviews about this tobacco and really wanted to see what all the hype was about. Tin aesthetics- Let me just say the burgundy and bronze color scheme has always been very attractive to me so there doing good so far appealing to my shallow side. Tin Note- Wow. The musty, sweet, and personally intoxicating latakia shines through here and my mouth waters a bit. Packing the pipe- I've never had a tobacco that i've had to cut and then rub out and it was a gratifying experience. Something more personal about it. It rubs out easily into small chunks of varying size with some longer pieces here and there. Since it wasnt ribbon cut i was honestly worried that i was going to pack it wrong somehow. It filled easily and had a good draw on it with nothing getting in my mouth haha.

On to the important part, the smoke.

On the initial attempt of lighting i was having a very hard time getting this to stay lit, mostly my fault for trying to keep the flame on the match from getting too large. Thats what i needed though, more heat. Like more cow bell but less exciting. Once i got it lit to my liking i was greeted by the perique giving that slight tongue tingle and the latakias and orientals playing niceley together. The virginias seem to play the support role in this blend, almost as if any of the other tobaccos had any rough edges the virginas are there to smooth things out giving it a overly ripe dark fruit notes. The cavendish lending a sweetness that just tops it all off for me. Halfway through the bowl i needed another relight. I was impressed with how well this burned despite my lack of drying. Next time i will dry it maybe five minutes more. I think the total dry time i gave it was about three minutes this time. The tobacco seemed to burn very evenly and thoroughly this far. Halfway through the bowl i cant really tell what flavor is coming from where. Its smooth, smoky, just the right amount of spice and a smooth sweetness. The vitamin N is starting to become more apparent, filling me contentment and a little bit of head buzz. Not too much, for me its the perfect amount before i head off to bed. Well this glorious experience is coming to an end. It has smoked down to a white ash with a little gurgle in the begining but i think that has to do with this being the third bowl i've had out of this pipe, so not too shabby. Conclusion- This for me was a very good smoke, to be honest probably the best one i've had in a few months. A quality blend and it bears repeating. I dont know if this could be an all day smoke or not, but definitely more than once a day. i very much look forward to getting to know this blend better.

Pipe Used: Savinelli St Nicholas 2016

Similar Blends: Boswell Northwoods?.

Pryhosm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pryhosm (183)

This is a beautifully presented tobacco. A dark rich "brownie", dense and fragrant. The tin note is sour orientals and smoked Latakia in the background An exceptional Oriental forward blend. The Orientals are woody (cedar, white pine and Cyprus) they have a sour note that is more in the aroma but is also present in the smoke. The red Virginia's and I believe stoved Virginia's blend with the orientals to create a singular flavor that is quite amazing and a testament to the artistry of the blender. The sweetness and spicyness from the VA's support that woody orientals to create a fantastic flavor. This is one of a very few blends that seem to create ONE flavor as opposed to the teasing out of the individual tobacco's. I haven't mentioned the ever present Latakia and it is also expertly blended into this singular flavor, sweet and smokey Cyprian Latakia is right "behind" the Orientals but again, is really a singular flavor. I may sound as if the smoke is not complex, maybe it isn't, it doesn't seem to be the right word. The flavor is deep it deserves attention and is really a world class blend. The expert blending does seem to remove the need to search for nuance or hidden flavors (although I really can't detect the Perique but it may be there supporting the other flavor's, once again part of the artistry of this blend). This is a fantastic blend and one of my personal favorites. It barely resembles its namesake, Plum Pudding, as it to me seems far superior (and I like Plum Pudding). Get this while you can

Pipe Used: Briar's, Meerschaum's and Cob's

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Pastor Padron Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pastor Padron (3)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Inside the tin is a single 4oz block that looks like a gigantic brownie. It breaks apart easily enough so that you don't really need a knife for it and it rubs out with little effort. Special Reserve is extremely smooth and balanced. It is smoky, salty, has notes of mesquite, and some citrusy tang from the Virginias. There's also a dark, earthy, chocolate undertone and a little raisiny spice with a savory finish. There is a fair amount of tangy spice in the retro as well. Special Reserve is a decadent treat for the English and Balkan blend lover. If that is you, I highly recommend it.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Clark's Favorite

Similar Blends: Seattle Pipe Club - Plum Pudding.

43Bulldog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
43Bulldog (5)

Floral perfumy sweet and smokey. I have only tasted plum a couple of times.

Mouthful is thick, with lots of smoke produced.

A favourite, I detect more flavour through french inhale rather than retro-hale.

Dry it out properly.

Pipe Used: Missouri Corncob - Bulldog

Purchased From: 4 Noggins

Similar Blends: Plum Pudding.

mikey d. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mikey d. (2)
Medium Strong Full Pleasant

I completely agree with Valdus - he wrote my exact thoughts about this tobacco and I wondered what was wrong with me when I first tried it out. I had smoked the regular Plum Pudding and rated it highly so you can imagine my disappointment with the Special Reserve. Its difficult to prepare because it doesnt rub well or cut well being very densely packed. It didn't burn well, bites like anything and after reading the mostly glowing reviews at Pipes and Cigars it left me wondering how my opinions could be so contrary. I write this with regret because its a truthful evaluation and I hoped I wasn't alone.

Pipe Used: MM Mark Twain, Kaywoodie Saxon

Purchased From: pipes and cigars

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

A little better than the regular SPCPP. I noticed the lightly apportioned Cyprian Latakia flavor was in the forefront but very soon thereafter, melded with the other varietals in this blend & stayed that way to the very end but was always feintly noticeable. It is a fairly strong blend that smokes mildly & produces plenty of smoke & I was really surprised at the delicious flavor this blend had to offer & the aroma wasn't bad... added that extra dimension.

No Latakia overload but an exceptionally, well balanced blend. I've craved a good Balkan blend ever since sampling a ten year old pouch of Gallaher's BSOM that was still fresh... that was back around 2012. There's a light, sweet fruity taste in this blend from the Perique, a little sweetness from the VA & Cavendish & some slight, sour saltiness from the Orientals when certain taste receptors are hit. The Perique seems to have that "Chameleon" effect, ie., hiding in the background. Too much & it is like chili pepper & just the right amount adds a fruity sweetness.

This mixture never became harsh & the flavor kept improving until the very end, produced very little condensation & left a dry, gray dottle. To make a long story short, this is "special." I also bought a spare tin for the cellar. Great stuff.

Pipe Used: Cavicchi Dublin & D. S. Huber Bent Dublin

Age When Smoked: Fresh Tin

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Similar Blends: SPC Plum Pudding, Ten Russians.

Transylvan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Transylvan (5)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A noble tobacco blend. Just extraordinary. Earth is richer for having produced the ingedients for this masterpiece. Thank you SPC. Everything else was said already. Please buy responsibly (don't hoard)

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This blend won't bite, smokes mildly but is closer to the strong end in the medium to strong spectrum. It has a long burning rate, requires some relights & one is able to produce some heavy duty smoke rings. PPSR did not leave a burning campfire smell in my room but rather a feint scent of Latakia and an ordinary aroma of regular tobacco. This mixture never became harsh & the flavor kept improving until the very end, produced very little condensation & left a dry, gray dottle. To make a long story short, this is "special." I Also bought a spare tin for the cellar. Great stuff.

Pipe Used: Cavicchi Dublin & D. S. Huber Bent Dublin

Age When Smoked: fresh Tin

mark81253 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mark81253 (18)

Tobacco bliss!!! This is the closest I'v found that emulates McClellends Bombay Extra which is or was my sublimity on Earth. A myriad of flavors. Sweetness, tang of the Perique, the Virginia's and the others are a pallatte of pure enjoyment. The perfect blend of various characters that entice the tongue. The flavors change on every puff. It's a smorgasbord of delight that will please the true connoisseur of pipe smoking . This one is a keeper. This is heaven in the world of tobacco. My heart was broken to learn that McClellend was going out of business. This blend has restored my faith and enjoyment in pipe smoking. I I beg you not to buy any so that I may obtain every last tin that exists.

Pipe Used: Savinelli

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I'll start this review by saying that I like most all types/styles of tobacco blends except English with the usual, heavy Latakia infusion. I also like straight Virginias, strong Burleys on occasion, VA/Pers, VA/Burs, etcetera... even a good aromatic like Stokkebye's Family Reserve which is exceptional. Doblone d'Oro is one of my favorite tobacco blends these days. This info is incorporated so other reviewers might have a better understanding of where I'm coming from. Starting off with the tin aroma: The best way I can define that is the aroma of spareribs cooking over an open grill basted with barbeque sauce & the plug is easily broken up & doesn't take long to dry.

This mixture is easy to overpack or pack too tight & my first attempt at sampling this blend was a complete failure but I endured & finished the first bowl but couldn't base my review on that mishap. The second time around turned out just right, so, here I go. As noted in other reviews, I'm unable to distinguish every single tobacco that is mixed together in a blend or offer any singular taste impression of the various tobaccos. Initially, I did notice the lightly apportioned Cyprian Latakia flavor was in the forefront but very soon thereafter, melded with the other varietals in this blend & stayed that way to the very end but was always feintly noticeable. It is a fairly strong blend that smokes mildly & produces plenty of smoke & I was really surprised at the delicious flavor this blend had to offer & how well I liked it, being tastier than anticipated & I liked the aroma very well... added that extra dimension.

About one third of the way through my sampling, a sweetness developed as one would expect in a good Balkan style mixture & overall, I thought this was a very tasty blend... no Latakia overload but an exceptionally, well balanced blend. I've craved a good Balkan blend ever since sampling a ten year old pouch of Gallaher's BSOM that was still fresh... that was back around 2012. There is some sweet, fruity taste in this blend from the Perique, sweetness from the VA & Cavendish & some slight, sour saltiness from the Orientals when certain taste receptors are hit. The Perique seems to have that "Chameleon" effect, ie., hiding in the background. Too much & it is like chili pepper. Just the right amount & you have a fruity sweetness & sometimes a mild peppery effect. This blend won't bite, smokes mildly but is closer to the strong end in the medium to strong spectrum. It has a long burning rate, requires some relights & one is able to produce some heavy duty smoke rings.

PPSR did not leave a burning campfire smell in my room but mostly an ordinary aroma of regular tobacco which indicates a lesser amount of Latakia. This mixture never became harsh & the flavor kept improving up to the very end. Depending on the type of pipe you're using, it might produce a little condensation. To make a long story short, Seattle Pipe Club's Plum Pudding, Special Reserve is an excellent Balkan style blend that I'll be smoking from time to time as long as I'm able to stay above ground. This rates very high in my Balkan blend rotation... probably in the top five range or thereabouts with Crystal Palace being my #1 favorite Balkan at present because I like the sweetness it possesses & I'm sure it will always remain my #1 & to me, it is so much like the BSOM that I smoked many years ago.

Pipe Used: Country Gent MM, 1/4 Bent Danmore Dublin

Age When Smoked: Fresh Tin

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Similar Blends: Rather unique but similar to Plum Pudding, maybe a little like Mississippi Mud Difficult to pin down as I've been away from the hobby for five years...

Rustedrailsmokes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rustedrailsmokes (142)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I received a sample of PPSR in my tinsociety box this month. It had been on my list to try since I enjoy the regular PP and have been in an oriental mood recently.

the sample was mostly broken up already when received but still had a few chunks of the crumble cake. The tin/bag note was great. Campfire plus spices from the orientals.

Easy to load as I crumbled up the remaining chunks and loaded a larger Morgan Bones Billiard. I did a char light then let it set for about 30 mins before smoking. It was really easy burning and only required one relight at the bottom of the bowl.

Through the entire bowl it was great. The orientals in this version are a big step up from normal PP. They added some sour notes which complimented the smoky latakia wonderfully. No one flavor dominated and it gave a truly balanced flavor.

This is probably my new favorite oriental. I hope to stock up some for my rotation.

Pipe Used: Morgan Bones Large Billiard