From P&C's website: Recently, Joe Lankford was offered some very special, well-aged Virginias. Instead of creating a whole new blend, he thought that he would use them to make a limited edition version of his wildly popular Mississippi River. Seattle Pipe Club Mississippi River Special Reserve is everything you love about the original but with very rare flue cured tobaccos included for richer, smoother flavor.

Notes: Featuring Virginias, latakia, and St. James perique, Seattle Pipe Club's Mississippi River is pressed into cakes, aged, and cut into plugs for easy handling.

BrandSeattle Pipe Club
Strength
Taste
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable

3.7

The fermented red Virginia is tangy, dark fruit sweet with some earth, wood, and a smidgeon of barbecue flavor as it forms the base of the blend. The stoved Virginias have a fermented sugary dark fruitiness and a little earth and wood, and almost competes with the red for attention. The rare flue cured Virginia provides a hint of grass and some tart and tangy citrus in the background. The perique offers some spice with raisin, plum and fig notes, and is a little more than a condimental addition. The Cyprian Latakia is an important supporting player, adding a sweet smoky, musty, earthy woodiness. The Oriental is woody, earthy, dry, lightly spicy, herbal and floral, with a slight sour hit here and there, and plays just below the threshold of the Latakia. The nic-hit is mild to medium. The taste level is medium, and the strength falls just shy of that mark. There’s no chance of bite or harshness present. It’s presented in an easily broken apart krumble kake. The tobacco is a little moist, but I did not feel the need to dry it. I recommend not totally rubbing it out. I broke off small pieces and dropped them into the bowl. Burns a mite slow, cool and clean with a very consistent, complex, deeply rich and creamy smooth, smoky sweet taste to the finish. Requires some relights, and leaves just a little moisture in the bowl. Has a very pleasant, lingering after taste with a stronger room note. It’s almost an all day smoke for a beginner, and can be one for the experienced smoker.

In comparison to the regular Mississippi River, I find this to be a little smoother and richer in flavor. Its sweetness has a mildly more fermented character than does the regular MR. The addition of the flue cured Virginia adds a pinch of extra complexity. I find the spice content to be a hair higher as well. Well balanced, you’ll notice virtually all of the inherent aspects of the tobaccos in every puff.

-JimInks

gladi8tor96 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gladi8tor96 (137)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

Thanks to a very talented pipe maker, whom sent me a sample of this fine tobacco along with one of his great pipes.

This tobacco is similar in many ways to M.R. regular, but it actually doesn't have the 'issue' i discovered with the 'lightness' of flavor. The flavor seems more prominent. The sweetness is more bold, the oriental spice/herbal flavors are more intricate and pronounced, and the smooth smokey and incense like flavors of the latakia are stronger as well. Quite a nice blend and definitely is a 'step-up' from Mississippi River, though that is is a great tobacco in it's own right.

The few pieces of cake that I received were extremely easy to crumble into fine shag tobacco and looked mostly brown with flecks of dark gold and black mixed in. The smell, as another reviewer has mentioned, reminds me of a McClelland VA blend. The smell is sweet & sour with a bit of earth, pungent, and some sweet fruit flavors.

This tobacco is so easy to prepare and load. Easy to light and stays lit with light but firm tamping.

It tastes like a typically sweet red VA blend, bready, a bit sour, dark chocolate tones, dark fruit, and woodsy. The smoke also has hints of the normal incense spice from the orientals, but just lightly, and just a tiny touch of campfire from the latakia. The perique is very mild, but discernible in the dark fruit tones.

Pipe Used: Poker, Bent Billard

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Purchased From: Gifted

I was happy to be the recipient of a good sample of this and was able to smoke it concurrently with the regular Mississippi River as I had an open tin in rotation at the time.

The first thing I thought of when tasting MRSR is that it seemed to be richer than MR. It is funny that the tin description says just that. MR is a great tasting blend in its own right, but the Special Reserve is better.

When I smoke either of the blends I feel the magic is really in the Virginia base. It is sweet and "citrusy" The Lat, Or and Per is condimental and all are also detectable. The oriental may be a little stronger then the other two. I am not sure whether the proportions of any of those condiments changed with the special reserve or if the change is limited to the Virginia, but the taste is deeper and earthier yet still sweet. It would not surprise me if the perique is kicked up a notch or two and the Oriental down some in the special reserve. At least that is how it strikes my palate.

MR is nearly a four star blend (I am still working my way through my first tin of this one), so it goes without saying this is a four star blend to my taster.

StevieB (1947)

Seattle Pipe Club - Mississippi River Special Reserve.

I'm in love!

Unlike it's counterpart, Mississippi River regular, Special Reserve doesn't arrive as a partially broken kake, but as one plug of tobacco. It's almost a dichotomy of a plug and kake: a firm plug that can be rubbed by hand. Once it had been rubbed out I saw it has perfect hydration; for me, I like a blend to be a little bit moist.

The moment I took my first puff I thought it a special smoke. I still feel the same now! A Lat-Bomb this is not. A lustrous, smooth, refined, smoke it is. Accompanying the smoky Latakia are the Orientals and Virginia, both amalgamating together to form a rustical, woody, almost rural flavour. The Perique's present, but more fruity than spicy, and not as heavily included as the others. Mechanically we have a winner here: fairly slow, burns without a hitch, gives a cool smoke, all delivered without a bite.

Nicotine: suits me, just below medium. Room-note: quite nice.

Mississippi River Special Reserve? I've no hesitation in giving this four stars:

Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Siena #320

B Short Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
B Short (6)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

Coconut, toffee, sweet Virginia, nutty, and slight camp fire. Best after out of the jar for a few weeks and ful lo y dried out.... at least for me. After some age, and dry time, could be a replacement for penzance dare I say. When I first opened the tin, I didnt like it as much. I'm now smoking it after about 5 months of the tin being open and it has changed.

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Similar Blends: Original Mississippi river. A lighter version of penzance..

Earthmane Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Earthmane (4)

Lovely sweet bready red virginias are the main thing I taste, reminds me just a bit of good aged 5100. Plummy fruitiness and sour tang come in from the perique and orientals. The latakia is barely perceptible, perhaps adding a chocolatey smokiness in the finish. The plug is very attractive and easy to work with. A very high quality blend!

Pipe Used: Charles Towne Cobbler (MM)

Similar Blends: McClelland 5100 Red Cake.

Fife&Drum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fife&Drum (34)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Strong

First, a bowl of this lasts a tremendously long time! Slow burning, high volumes of thick smoke. Yes, the Virginia’s used in this blend are very good. The Perique sits solidly in the background melding nicely with the Turkish tobacco. I would prefer more orientals and Latakia in this blend, but as it is it’s a smooth blend. This was a Christmas gift and wouldn’t be a blend I would choose to buy. The room note is pleasant. The flavor doesn’t evolve enough for me and stays even throughout the bowl.

Pipe Used: Peterson Donegal

Purchased From: P&C

derekpodo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
derekpodo (4)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

....hmmm maybe it's too fresh still, maybe I read too much hype about it.....but it's not on my top list...nothing for now stands out...bit disappointed...the aroma is fantastic...the tast is so so...

Pipe Used: custom briar

Age When Smoked: 51

Purchased From: 4 noggins

PipeTobaccoReviewer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipeTobaccoReviewer (12)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Unnoticeable

I resisted the allure of SPC for a long time. I had a sample of some regular Plum Pudding early in my pipe smoking life and was underwhelmed, severely. That, plus the relatively hefty price tag and what felt like, to me, overhyping and marketing, made me wait years before giving whole tins a shot.

Well, I'm sorry I waited so long. This review is based on a brand new tin of freshly restocked provenance, so I can't imagine it's had too much longer in the tin than how SPC (Sutliff) ships it. A subtle, but important, note imo. There are too many blends on the market that are "great, in 3 to 5 years". This is great upon receipt. Nothing tastes young or edgy to me. Nothing tastes like it needs time to marry.

If you're looking for heavy lat, or frankly even to really notice it's there at all, you won't be impressed with this blend. It smokes like a slightly smokier and earthier VaOrPer. The lat is barely discernible to me and I am heavily into straight VAs and VaPers, so would be rather sensitive to the dark leaf.

Others have hit the high points of the tasting notes, but I'll make a few observations. It is very heavy on the VA and Orientals. Perique is clearly present if you go digging at all. Lat, I've commented on. However, as others have said the beauty of this blend is in its balance. When properly dried (just about crispy) and smoked ultra slowly with the breath method it presents with a tremendously subtle melange of nuanced flavors which work in harmony.

If you smoke it without drying right out of the tin, there is a fairly strong vinegar note. Dried it is still present, but very distant. I imagine, based on my past experience with blends which use vinegar, that this will dissipate with time in the jar and the normal "decanting" process of opening and closing said jar. Alternatively, I've found vinegar heavy blends tend to subsume the acidity into the tobacco with 6m to 1y in mylar.

I have a feeling this will age truly magnificently based on the fresh product and its base components. Those of you looking for an ultra light lat (don't read that as this being a "light" blend, it's not) blend with massive flavor potential, I would pony up the cash for a tin of this extremely high quality tobacco. And yes, the brownie form looks and smells good enough to eat. It's also the closest I've seen to a US production blend come to a EU plug. It is a very solid mass which, if it used whole leaf instead of ribbon/cut, would be EU plug dense. Impressive all the way around.

Highly Recommended.