Mac Baren Amphora Original Blend

(2.81)
A well-rounded blend, emphasizing the chocolate flavor of burley tobacco. Centuries of tobacco craftsmanship go into Amphora Original blend to bring out the rich chocolately undertones of the finest burley tobaccos, balanced with Orientals, Kentucky, and Virginia leaf. The result is a smooth textured and easy burning blend of rare distinction.
Notes: Made by MacBaren since 2006, the company owns the blend as of 2015.

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

2.81 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 81 - 90 of 122 Reviews
Feb 24, 2017 Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant
I understand what those who rate this blend highly see in Amphora Original Blend. The flavors of the constituent tobaccos and chocolate topping all come through clearly in the smoke, not an insignificant achievement. The taste experience is complex without being strong. The nicotine hit is mild. It packs easily and burns well. All in all this should be a blend one can smoke all day long without their palate being either fatigued or bored.

My problem with this blend is that it fiercely bites my tongue after only the first few draws. No fix I have tried has banished the bite, nor even noticeably mitigated the problem. For me, then, this is a one star blend. My experience, however, seems to be outside of the mainstream. So, I somewhat recommend this blend. If it does not bite you, you may well find it a great and economical smoke.

Apr 23, 2016 Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant
The composition is Cavendish (at least, 50%), Burley (25%), Oriental (10%), Virginia (10%) and Kentucky (5%). The most intense aromatizants are cocoa and ripe fruit (maybe apple or drupe). It's a very widespread mixture, and you can find it everywhere (recommended if you like apple, drupe and cocoa, at the same time).
Pipe Used: Many briars
PurchasedFrom: local tabacconist
Mar 29, 2016 Medium Mild Medium Pleasant
I cannot believe I will say this, because Mac Baren makes this tobacco, but this is vile tobacco. It is harsh, it smokes hot and leaves a disgusting aftertaste in my mouth. I bought the Full Aroma as well and will not even attempt to try it. When I think I have 4 pouches of Black Cavendish on the way that I ordered last week...No more pouched tobaccos for me. I'll stick to my tins.
Aug 29, 2015 Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
A classic blend. Often recommended for beginners, but I actually think you need to acquire some smoking skills before you can fully appreciate it.

It's one of my favorite tobaccos, a great all-day smoke made from a nice blend.
Pipe Used: Brebbia Savana 601, MM Legend
Age When Smoked: Couple of months
Aug 24, 2014 Mild Mild Mild Pleasant
One of the first tobaccos I tried. Great mild smoke, with a slight chocolate flavouring. It's a great all day tobacco that won't disappoint but won't blow you away either. Good to have around when you're in the mood.
Jan 21, 2014 Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable
A good tobacco for someone looking for a lightly flavoured tobacco. It has a nice chocolate and walnut flavour that is rather discreet. For the rest, it tastes like pure tobacco. Original Blend is great for an all day smoke for anyone that wants a no nonsense tobacco.
Jul 12, 2011 Mild Very Mild Very Mild Tolerable
A little bit nutty, buttery and chocolate-y, but overall terribly uneventful. I see a couple that to enjoy this, but I can't think of any reason to ever buy it again.
Jun 20, 2011 Mild Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable
My brother gave me a pouch of this after his last visit to Holland..It reminds me of a strong but very high quality cigarette tobacco..I would not buy it but I will finish the pouch..Its a steady burner..the flavour as I have already said remind me of cigarettes.. I cannot say I dislike it..but it does not have the sweetness I like..as I have said in my other reviews I am a real fan of FVF ..as such I tend to judge other tobacco's from that "marker' it burns steadily and not hot ..and it does not change its flavour if you have to relight it mid pipe ..Nothing more to say about this weed..only to thank my brother for buying it for me
Jan 21, 2011 Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable
As far as I know, this blend is no longer available in the U.S. The last time I had a pouch of it, it was still blended by D & E. It tasted very similar to the current Skandivic Full Aroma. It didn't have any negative aspects except, to my taste, it was a bit bland. It was certainly better than most of the common "drug store" brands.
Oct 23, 2010 Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant
TO JONNYNAILS: AN EQUIVALENT OF GITANES IN PIPE TOBACCOS ARE SEMOIS TOBACCOS (BELGIUM) AND THE "GRIS CUBES" AVAILABLE IN FRANCE.

target="_blank"