Mac Baren Amphora Original Blend

(2.81)
A well-rounded blend, emphasizing the chocolate flavor of burley tobacco. Centuries of tobacco craftsmanship go into Amphora Original blend to bring out the rich chocolately undertones of the finest burley tobaccos, balanced with Orientals, Kentucky, and Virginia leaf. The result is a smooth textured and easy burning blend of rare distinction.
Notes: Made by MacBaren since 2006, the company owns the blend as of 2015.

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

2.81 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 71 - 80 of 122 Reviews
Feb 08, 2004 Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable
I havent had it in awhile though I remember it to be a straight burley flavor that had a touch of spice that I loved.It burned dry which was nice .Alittle nutty and at the time available.I miss this blend. Though Skandinavik regular is similar it's not the same . Skandinavik will leave a pipe stinky. I dont remember this blend having any cavendish . I remember it to be a ready rubbed burley that I smoked in the 80's and into the 90's a bit . People say virginia and cavendish with regards to this blend and it confuses me . Maybe there is va and cavendish in it ..... but it tasted like a straight ahead burley to me ......... and thats a damn good thing . It must have changed since the 80's cause this was no way a ribbon cut when I smoked it and it was void of any added flavoring
Pipe Used: Mediun sized chambered pipes
PurchasedFrom: OTC
Age When Smoked: Fresh from the pouch
Dec 27, 2023 Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant
1- The name of Blend is not "Amphora Original Blend" anymore but just "Amphora Original"

2- There is no Chocolate or Coco flavouring anymore

3-Is seems there is some casing of sugar or very light molasses there

4- When you smoke the room note will be exactly like bakery and you feel someone is baking bread , the smoke is like hay like and a bit grassy and kind of tarts and bread and a very slight vanilla like hint

5- If you puff hard probably you will face tongue bite and it should be puffed moderately and at the end of bowl it gets a bit harsh

6- It seems that aging might develop the flavor but consider in mind that pouches usually have preservative substances to avoid fungi and molds and downside is that it will also prevent fermentation and aging of tobaccos so you have to air the tobacco and let preservatives evaporate then you can jar the tobacco and let aging go on
Pipe Used: Peterson System, Brebbia
PurchasedFrom: Local tobacco Shop in Poland
Age When Smoked: 1 year
Feb 26, 2023 Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable
80's Douwe Egberts Amphora Regular (Brown or Natural). Package description "There is surely no better balance on earth than Amphora Regular. Composed of finest Burley, Kentuckey, Virginia and Oriental tobaccos, it achieves the rare distinction of being a smooth, slow burning smoke with a full taste yet deceptively light character. This is the result of two centuries if blending experience and our unique cavendish process. Mild, mellow and immensely enjoyable."

Package note of sharp sour vegetation, mild barbeque and spices. Tobacco is a broken flake of medium brown, light brown and dark brown. Moisture content is great. Burns moderate with few relights. The strength is mild to medium and nic is mild. Flavoring is listed with cocoa, but I could not detect any extra outside of a natural flavor. Taste is medium to full and moderately consistent, with notes of sour vegetation, spices, bitter wood, dry rich earth, mildly spicy, leather, mild cocoa, tart and tangy citrus, toasted bread, acidic, mild molasses, lemon grass, mild floral, a sour nutty background note, and a moderately peppery retro. Burley is leading with Oriental/Turkish, Virginia and Kentucky supporting. Cavendish is the process they put all the tobacco through. Room note is pleasant to tolerable, and aftertaste is great.
Pipe Used: 2016 Northern Briars Premier Rox Cut #4 Prince
Age When Smoked: 34+ years
Nov 24, 2022 Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant
Ahhh yes, this really brings back memories of the older version I smoked in the 80's and early 90's. You always paid a bit more for this then the other packaged tobaccos you could find at any gas station or drug store, but it was worth it to me. I think the reason for so many of the low reviews is some pipers do not understand the Cavendish process or how to smoke it. First off, slow down, take it easy and sip. The second is you may need a little dry time before loading. I at times will char light, relight, and let it sit for a bit. Then go at it and it's the perfect moisture. The topping is mildly applied and the tobacco flavor comes through more as you work down the bowl. The cut is a rubbed out flake with thick stands which I rub out even more before I load a bowl. The leaf is high quality as expected from Mac Baren and they have done a wonderful job on this and the other Amphora lines. I am currently smoking this, their Burley blend and their Kentucky blend. I reviewed the Burley blend but for some reason it has not moved from the new blends to over here? Come on moderator if I had a different name it would be posted. ( No offense intended) While we are at it please post the Kentucky blend which is an excellent blend also. I do not remember this as being called the original blend but just Amphora in the brown pouch? Either way this is good stuff, not a power house blend but steady and consistent. It will also gain some strength as you progress further down the bowl so go easy or it can nip a little.

Lager

Oct 22, 2022 Extremely Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant
Tobacco has a nice smell but smoking it was frustrating because it has no taste at all for me. So, I got more visual satisfaction from observing how smoke was floating in the room. Likely, tobacco did not bite. Actually, I did not find any chocolate notes in the tobacco smell like other reviewers, however, the smell is rather fruity. My conclusion is the next: you can buy this blend, open a pouch and sniff it and it is more than enough. You even don't need a pipe for it because smoke gives you nothing.
Pipe Used: briar, MM
PurchasedFrom: local tobacco store
Jul 11, 2022 Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable
This is an updated review of Amphora Original Blend on Feb. 2023: I have smoked many pouches of AOB and currently I am smoking an aged blend from around 8 months (left to age in sealed pouch). This is a mildly aromatic, fairly complex blend with grassy, earthy, woody and sweet tones. It is mild-to-medium in terms of strength, but it gives a pretty much smoky and satisfying experience. You get the topping mildly, and you also experience a good quality tobacco. It stays lit and does not need any drying time, it also does not bite and is generally consistent in flavor throughout the bowl. It is clearly a 3.5-star blend that will round to 3 stars though I believe for many pipe smokers including aromatic lovers this may get to full 4 stars; within the aromatic class, it outperforms compared to many other blends and triggers your palate to experience all the complexity and creaminess, woodiness and sweetness of the tobacco without the topping to overwhelmingly take over the experience. It is an all-day smoke, and it burns cool but relatively fast. To date, I smoke predominantly English blends plus Va/Vapers throughout the day (plus a cigar here and there and some Marlboro red cigarettes), and for aromatics I can hardly smoke a bowl or two during the whole week. This one (AOB) is a blend from the aromatic class, perhaps one of very-very few aromatics, that I can repeat during the day.
Pipe Used: Savinelli 614, MM country gentleman
PurchasedFrom: Local shop
Age When Smoked: Fresh to 8 months aged
May 23, 2022 Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
I like this tobacco because it is "ample". It's not thin, it give a nice rich smoke, with a spicy yet not too extreme flavor. The whole blend offers a natural taste (unlike "Full aroma" in which I taste something artificial in the background). This has become my standard winter tobacco, since I noticed that whether it's warm or cold outside, the flavor remains the same. The ribbon cut, though harder to light if it's windy, offers a slower smoke, and a more consistent flavor than for example, shag or flake (I find). Mostly, this tobacco feels so full. On top of that, it's among the more affordable tobaccos (about 9 euros a pouch where I live). In comparison Ashton's artisan blend (which I enjoy), which fits into the same medium-strength spicy blend is almost double that price. The room note is also much better than with most tobaccos around the same strength.

I would note though, that strangely I didn't find this tobacco aged well. I found the feel and flavor were much better when it wasn't too dry, and not too cellared.
Pipe Used: Briar
PurchasedFrom: skonis ir kvapas
Jul 17, 2021 Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
Didn't expect to like it. Opened the pouch today and I have already smoked three bowls today. This is the definition of an all day smoke.

Its easy to manage. No fussing. Just pack and light. I found the consistency perfect right out the package. It stays lit, no frequent relights and burns beautifully. The flavor is consistent the whole way through. There some slight nuttiness, some darker fruit flavors: there's also a subtle spice there and a tang. I am assuming that's the orientals and Kentucky. What's odd is I don't really detect a topping though I know its there because I read it is. Maybe I blew my palette awhile back, There is maybe a hint of chocolate but that's me reading there is and not so much because I tasted it. I think its Virginia dominant and to me, its more the red virginia.

This blend is well balanced. I am actually shocked by how much I enjoy this blend as I didn't expect much. Also, weirdly enough, I detect the nicotine in this more than others have mentioned in their reviews. Yet I can smoke other "higher" nicotine content blends and not feel it. I was a former smoker so my nicotinic receptors blew out maybe but Amphora, I feel it.

This was a nice surprise and a great travel, fishing, hiking blend. Quick grab and go and all day.
Pipe Used: Crown/Cob
PurchasedFrom: Tobacco Pipes
Age When Smoked: New pouch
Sep 30, 2020 Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant
Smoking now:

Pouch is pretty nice. Smells molasses chocolate and natural tobacco.

Big strands of tobacco packs ok if you get it all in there. The taste had a slight chocolate tone, but it’s very naturally burley and not a sweet aromatic chocolate. A natural sweet molasses woody nut flavor with cocoa. Retrohale is nice and you’ll notice the Virginias there. Slight spice from the Kentucky that may tingle your cheeks. Won’t bite, smoked right from the pouch. No bad after taste or tongue bite. Does benefit from some drying time.

Mar 15, 2018 Medium None Detected Medium Very Strong
this tobacco is Burly Base. i couldn't find any coco or chocolate tast in that. when you open the pouch, you can find easily sour smell of kentacky and oriental. and during smoking ,tast is very simillar to a high portion of oriental tobaccos. low portion of virginia, not recomended for virginia lovers and sweet tobaccos. there s not high quality tobacco in it. i won't buy it again.
Pipe Used: ratrays