Mac Baren Amphora Full Aroma

(2.83)
Centuries of tobacco craftmanship go into Amphora Full. In addition to the Virginia tobaccos an exact amount of burley and Oriental tobaccos from three continents balance the blend. And the result is a well rounded and slow burning blend. Amphora is the trademark of high quality pipe tobacco.
Notes: Made by MacBaren since 2006, the company owns the blend as of 2015. Now reintroduced back into the UK, under the name of Amphora Full, this is due to new legislation that has been introduced in 2017.

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

2.83 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 111 - 120 of 222 Reviews
Dec 08, 2013 Mild to Medium Mild Very Mild Tolerable
I din't like it at all.I like aromatic blends and this is not for sure.Low quality tobacco.Tongue bite from the middle of the bowl.If you like aromatics don't waste your money.
Pipe Used: briar
Jul 17, 2013 Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant
Easy to pack and light. Nice taste and aroma and doesent smoke to much, the smell of the smoke is nice though. Pleasant flavouring that does indeed give alot of pleasure. A nice tobacco that should be smoked after lunch with a cup of coffee.
Feb 04, 2013 Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant
This is a Good Amphora... Slow Burning, easy to pack and light. Good grade tobacco, sweat, not so strong in Nicotine. It was very common found in Brazil, but now, is quite rare. recommended.
Feb 04, 2013 Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant
This was one of the first tobaccos I smoked, when I was a teenager back inthe 1960s. It was, and remains a pleasant and not overwhelming smoke. I'd rate it as the best of the OTC (drug store) blends.

It's one of those I'd recommend to a beginner pipe smoker, if you can find it. That recommendation comes not because it is of any ifnerior quality. It's not. But it is very forgiving. It's easy to keep lit. It doesn't bite if smoked too vigorously. It yields a very pleasant taste without having to coax it and will keep delivering that pleasant taste even if puffed hard.

Nowadays I can't find it in its original form bu have to get a few ounces in bulk in a 'match' blend.
Dec 31, 2012 Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant
A very pleasant tobacco which has been my constant companion for over 45 years. I've never encountered a smoker who disliked it nor a woman who disliked the aroma.
Dec 02, 2012 Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant
Tobacco leaf quality very average light aromatic and spicy at the same time ,fine cut that burns easily and grows well in nicotine its easy and rich at the same time a Virginia burley tobacco flavor that predominates is a great success this classic licorice aroma subtle fruity light very old is well reproduced by a imperial tobacco worthy of past and présent. Recommended for smoked daily.
Oct 18, 2012 Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable
For a brand that calls itself full aroma, I found this to be quite tasteless and a disappointment. As such, not recommended.
Mar 12, 2012 Mild to Medium Mild Medium Tolerable
This was my first pipe tobacco and I still consider it a very good choice for beginners, especially for those with a cigarette smoking background. I find "Full Aroma", however, quite misleading - I think there is nothing "full" about this. Amphora is neither strong nor very aromatic. I cannot detect much flavoring at all, instead it reminds me of high quality cigarettes. A good smoke but nothing mind blowing and no great complexity.

Amphora is easy to smoke: it lights well and burns well, even if it was packed into the bowl by a newbie; it also is a dry smoke and does not overheat easily.

I still enjoy smoking Amphora whenever I do not feel like experimenting with new tobaccos or when I feel like something...well, neutral. These days I consider this blend the quintessential everyday pipe tobacco.
Mar 11, 2012 Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant
I no longer smoke aromatics very much, but when I did this was old "Mr Reliable", and I still have some on hand. I am reviewing it as an aromatic - it would be pointless to compare it with Latakia or Va blends of tobacco.

I first encountered this tobacco around 1970 when I was a callow teenager. I liked it then and I find no difference in the blend now in 2012. The broken flake cut is attractive, the tin odor is to die for if you like citrus fruit, nuts and tobacco, and the room note is the most popular of all my tobaccos (so I am told).

It packs and lights easily, and burns well with the occasional relight (no problem to me). Not too "wet", and with mild tongue bite only, if smoked carefully.

As a "supermarket" or OTC blend it is hard to beat, if you like aromatics. I recommend it, and I dare say it would beat many a "custom" aromatic for flavor and aroma.

This too shall pass.
Feb 01, 2012 Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant
way back when i first started pipesmoking this was my go to baccy, now after starting back the pipesmoking hobby for about a year i can say to my tastebuds the taste didnt change of that 15 years back, something orange-ie sweetness and something creamy i like it ! that said, i think you have to learn to smoke this tobacco otherwise it smokes hot and gurgles your pipe, smoke it slooowww i mean almost to the point youd think the pipe has gone out slow. if you master that this bacccy is your friend then it delivers good taste and no tonguebite. its a OTC blend in holland and in almost every socalled tobacco store/ kiosk you can buy it *EDIT* it is back to my daily smoke once more, its a charming classy always delivering good nicoteen and taste baccy

target="_blank"