"Our" Kentucky Club Mild is a basic burley with traditional tobacco flavor and character. If this easy-burning, mild, and bite-free smoke reminds you of the original Middleton blend, then our work here is done.

BrandMilan Tobacconists
Blend TypeBurley Based
ContentsBurley
Strength
Mild, Medium
Taste
Pleasant, Tolerable
2.5

The burley is fairly nutty, earthy, woody with a little molasses and slight hay note. The topping is sugary sweet and tones down the burley a bit. The strength and nic-hit are mild. The taste is a step past the mild mark. Burns at a moderate pace, cool, clean, and smooth with a very consistent flavor. Leaves hardly any dampness in the bowl, and requires few relights. It won’t bite or get harsh even if pushed. Tastes fairly similar to the original, which was a little fuller in taste, lightly sweeter with the burley being a hair or two more noticeable. An uncomplicated all day smoke with a pleasant after taste and room note. I give three stars just as I did the original.

-JimInks

cakeanddottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cakeanddottle (80)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

Well as a Kentucky Club smoker I can tell you that this does not resemble Kentucky Club in either cut or flavor. What we have here is Sutliff Burley, and for all I know it may be an unadorned version of a commonly available Sutliff bulk.

I get a little molasses. I get a little of that Sutliff Burley sourness. As Sutliff based Burleys go, it's better than any of Russ O's blends, but not as good as any of Ernie's. It's more of an ERR replacement than a Kentucky Club replacement. Honestly they should change the name, because anyone who knows and loves Kentucky Club is going to try this and think Milan doesn't know what the hell they're doing. I mean they sell Middleton and Kentucky Club has only been off the market since 2012. It's lazy and misleading to compare this to KCM.

That aside, it's a pretty good cheap Burley bulk that will sit well with guys that like OTC. Personally I'd rather have a tub of SWR than this.