A blend of the finest North Carolina grown red Virginias, harvested in 2015, our Carolina Red Flake is a tribute to the Old Belt. Plucked straight from Carolina soil, these top-tier Virginias were all grown, thrashed, blended, pressed, and then lovingly sliced and tinned right here in the heart of old tobacco country.  Sweet, tangy, and spicy, Carolina Red Flake is both surprisingly straightforward and pleasantly complex: you'll find it's rich, deep, and earthy, with undertones of dried cranberries, orchard grass, and citrus.
 We're proud of our heritage—and we're particularly proud of this damn near perfect red Virginia flake. Enjoy!

Notes: Retail launch date: June 10, 2016; only 2,400 tins produced.

Components:

"L2DH-0-15" 100% USA FCV from 2015 D1A, D1F, D1H top grade VAs Sugar: 10.49%

6/21/2016 All 2400 tins have been recalled due to mold being found in some tins. Refunds or trades for other C&D blends are being offered.

10/31/2017 Re-released with an additional 2400 tins.

Blended ByJeremy Reeves
Packaging2oz Tin
Strength
Taste

3.7

Several 2015 North Carolina grown red Virginias are processed into a very easily broken apart flake to suit your packing preference, and for a better burn rate than what some flake blends offer. It’s very tangy, dark fruit sweet with a lot of earth, some woodiness, very mild grass, natural sugar and citrus notes, along with slightly more than mild spice. The first thing that hits you as you light up is the tangy sweetness and earth, which are the main features of the flavors. The other attributes I mentioned quickly show themselves, and remain all throughout the proceedings. The nic-hit is just a shade past being mild. The strength is just a little closer to medium than it is to mild. The taste is right at the medium level.

Not a complex product, but there’s enough variety going on to hold your interest as the flavor is fairly smooth and very consistent from start to finish. I say “fairly smooth” only because the much appreciated earth and spice continually underscores the inherently tangy sweetness of the reds. Burns at a moderate pace, cool and clean with no dull or harsh spots. Won’t bite even if pushed, though I recommend a slow cadence in order to fully savor the experience. Easily burns to ash, and requires just a few relights. Leaves a light dampness in the bowl. The tangy after taste very pleasantly lingers a little, and the room note is a little sweet. Can be an all day smoke if you wish. Think Christmas Cheer with less sugar sweetness, more earth and spice, and only a bare essence of "vinegar".

-JimInks

Man is this stuff good! By that it is up there with a very good Christmas Cheer and it has the edge on 5100. That is high praise.

Mine came as a mostly broken flake due to the rigors of handling. I broke up the big pieces and got a texture similar to the Amphora Red of my youth. Tin note is earthy and slightly sweet. Hydration was very good.

Smoked, there is a heavy fruit with some tart when puffed. It is slightly sweet and exhaling through the nose has some spice and a little citrus as if the heavy fruit is an orange that is a too ripe. Smoking qualities are excellent. It left a nice aftertaste.

This is a great Red Virginia. You should try it if you can get one of the 2400 tins. I know you don't buy small batch to blend, but I suspect this would rock with some perique.

If you can get some of this, do so. It's that good. If you did get some, congratulations on a smart purchase. I managed to get two tins and one went straight to the cellar for aging. The other is being smoked only in cobs because I'm a cob guy and this is special stuff.

It's well rounded with the highs, mids and lows nicely covered. There are several fruity nuances that run together making a kind of "fruit punch" flavor that's only mildly sweet and somewhat tart. In the second half these nuances get deeper, darker and a bit earthier. I find it to be very, very satisfying. It truly is some wonderful leaf. Damn shame there's so little of it.

About medium in body, maybe a shade more. Nic is also around medium. Taste is medium as well. Satisfaction is full. This one will be savored.

Edit: 6/23/16 In case you haven't heard, there have been cases of mold found in some of the tins. C&D has issued a recall of all 2400 tins and refunds or trades for other C&D blends are being offered. I have found no mold in the tin I'm smoking out of and I intend to smoke every bit of it. I opened the tin I had put in the cellar and found no mold, jarred it and put it back to age. I would recommend doing that to any that you might have in your cellar. If you find mold you can get your dough back.

Pipe Used: MM Marcus, Little Devil Cutty, Little Devil Acorn

Carolina Red, the third blend in the “Small Batch” series from C&D greets the nose with a little bit of hay and fruit. From a moisture standpoint, most will find this pipe ready straight away. I prefer tobacco on the drier side so I did dry it for a few short minutes. In the pipe, my first puff was more of hay than tangy red Virginia, but it very quickly settled into one of the more interesting Red Virginia blends that I have smoked in some time. There is some tang, but not as tangy as some of the McClelland red VA’s. There is an ample amount of sweetness along with a tart undercurrent. The flavor is “richer” and deeper than many newly tinned red Virginias out there. The combination of sweet and tart really makes for an outstanding blend. There is more complexity in this blend than others in this genre too. The fruitiness becomes bolder as each bowl progressed as did the spice level. CRF burns cool with no acidity or bite. I don’t have any C&D blends in my regular rotation. But these small batch blends have all been outstanding and CRF is another great one in this series. It’s too bad that it appears there isn’t enough leaf to make some of these standard offerings. Congrats to C&D on another winner!

Mild None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

The good news for my pipe club was that a fellow member who is in love with all these small batch C&D blends brought a tin to our meeting. Further good news, no mold! Nice Virginia broken flake and C&D did not lie when they said it came from a special grade of Virginia. Subtle, sweet and smooth. I really liked this one and had to battle some of my other club members (but only the old ones that were littler than me) for a second bowl.

p120d16y Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
p120d16y (19)

Just after the first bowl I immediately knew this is the best tobacco I've packed in a pipe. It's just pure top notch red Virginia bliss. Perfect moisture content right from the tin. Perfect brittle red, loose flakes. The only thing I differ on from what Jim notes is that it is fairly complex. Tangy sour notes of toasted bread, bright notes of citrus, and a sweet natural mellow toasted sugar flavor throughout if sipped slowly. About half way through the bowl it picks up in spice and dark fruit sweetness combined to make for a more and more added perique-like peppery plum as you continue down the bowl. Some are saying use a small pipe. I disagree. Use varying larger sized bowls to get the spice and dark fruit flavor towards the middle-end. This is a sublime smoke. I was fortunate to snag several tins to cellar a few away and smoke a couple. This will age so wonderfully it's a crying shame only 2,400 tins were made. It burns very uniform and slowly. A large bowl burned away for me for well over 2 hours with a slow cadence.

Pipe Used: Merkur 2000 volcano (briar)

Age When Smoked: New and fresh

Similar Blends: SmokingPipes.

Pryhosm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pryhosm (179)

C&D I salute you! This is an instant classic and a blend to be revered for generations to come. I am reviewing the Nov 2018 release, tin 1175/8000 from a 2015 harvest. This is a broken flake that comes on the dry side (just the way I like it) and is pure red VA. The tin note is subtle, virginia tobacco with light brown sugar sweetness on the nose. The flavor is reminiscent of McClellands red VA blends, Christmas Cheer immediately comes to mind as soon as the smoke hits my tongue. It is not the same as CC but these are top shelf red's. The flavor is earthy and mildly spicy, this is the dominant profile that I get from first light to last puff. There is a tanginess to the smoke that is always in the background and pronounced on the retrohale. There are also dark fruits and a bready/toasty and mildly nutty flavor on the finish/aftertaste. The tanginess boarders on sour occasionally and this adds to the complexity of the smoke. It is not an overly complex smoke but it is not without nuance. This is one of the best Virginia tobacco's I have ever smoked from C&D and deserves high honors among all the great Virginia's. This is a must have for anyone who enjoy's red Virginia tobacco.

Pipe Used: Briar's, meerschaum and cobs

toddsmith7378 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
toddsmith7378 (41)
Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable

Well, I suppose I'm no old timer with smoking, but in the 5 years or so I've smoked, I've plowed through and amassed quite a collection. I've got English's I adore, Balkan's I love, VA/Per's I can't get enough of. I've got several example's from all the most readily available blenders/brands of varying percentages of leaf. I've even accumulated blending stock and have acquired the ability to get reasonably close to the one's I love.

I say all of that to say this. Red Virginia is just about the only pure strain that can be absolutely perfect on its own. 5100 and McClelland 40th Anniversary have it, so I'm glad I stocked a decent amount of those. Then, I stocked up on the newer sutliff Red virginia match, as well as their ribbon.

But I have to say, I've heard the old timer's talk about legendary tobacco's. I would have thought I could pick from the myriad blends I've tried some that are better than others, but it wasn't until I smoked this, that I could almost immediately say I had finally realized something that would be a legend of my pipe smoking tobacco experience. I did manage to stock enough to last a good while, but of all the tobacco's I've tasted, this one is so perfect, and above the rest, that I can truly say it is a masterpiece, at least in the modern sense. I know someday, I'll be that old timer, and this is the one I'll remember, and that is my review.

Pipe Used: Turkish Meer, Savinelli

Age When Smoked: Out of tin

Similar Blends: 40th anniversary.

grimstuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
grimstuff (14)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

This stuff is great. Very sweet - possibly the sweetest tasting and smelling tobacco I've had. Lemony with some other dried fruits, but not hay-like or grassy like a lot of the typical pure Virginias. This is more rich, with a bit of a kick to it - strength says medium, but I found it to be a little stronger. (It would be interesting to mix this with a little Cabbie's Mixture... the citrus fruit in this tobacco might pair well with the deep raisin of that other blend.) In the end, this is a top-notch tobacco - definitely worthy of cellaring/hoarding. I typically don't care for the light, pure virginias like Capstan, Navy Flake, etc., there just doesn't seem to be a lot going on behind the hay and grass taste. I usually gravitate toward the much heavier-tasting blends of the G&H variety. But this one does not fit that description, and offers more depth and complexity.

Pipe Used: Billiard, apple

Age When Smoked: 1.5 years

Purchased From: Pipes and cigars

incendio Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
incendio (36)
Medium Medium Mild Tolerable

Carolina Red Flake is one of those tobaccos that has a cult following. Not surprising as it's a limited edition offering.

I have the impression that pipe smokers can be described by various terms, divided into distinct classes along several lines of distinction. One of these is Cornell & Diehl. Either you love them or you don't. If you love them, their catalog has much to offer you by way of variety and unique blends that, failing distinction, don't wander far from the general vane than englobes their tobacco worldview--"honest, unpretensious tobacco."

I on the other hand just can't get hooked. I try and try. Generally I don't write reviews for tobaccos unless I like them, but somehow I think that this flake has a 3.8 rating because only its habitués have reviewed it. I suppose it was a limited edition so most of you aren't torn with indecision at spending a paycheck on 'in stock' Carolina Red Flake. So why mention it?

Well, Sansepolcro, another Cornell & Diehl limited edition run, is due to make an appearance tomorrow. As curious as I am given the appetizing reviews that others have written about it, I nonetheless can't bring myself to forget that, for my tastes anyway, Cornell & Diehl has always been a purveyor of tobacco mixtures that tend toward the harsher, dryer, and monotone end of the spectrum. Carolina Red Flake is a perfect example of it. A beacon herald, flagship tobacco. For example, it is an 'honest' tobacco, inasmuch as it is simple. As charming as a one-note piano. It is best sipped early in the morning otherwise its linear appeal will escape your distracted senses. It would likely make a good blending tobacco, but that's missing the point of a small batch limited edition, isn't it? I'm grateful to my friends who've given me many samples of Cornell & Diehl blends, most of which I've not enjoyed terribly much (the one exception being Star of the East Flake). I wonder how much Carolina Red Flake tins would have sold if they'd given out free samples first.

Anyway, that's my review. Call it a 'dissenting voice.'

Pipe Used: all shapes and sizes

Age When Smoked: 2018 limited edition

Purchased From: Tobaccopipes-dot-com

Similar Blends: Cornell & Diehl is in a league all its own.

IndyPiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
IndyPiper (2)

Tin Note - The traditional Virginia sweetness of hay hits you right away and does not end.

Moisture Content - Perfect out of the tin. No need to dry.

Visual Note - Red flake with light brown spots mixed throughout. I would compare the color overall to a brick red color.

Smoke - Medium smoke with a pleasent room note. The hay sweetness is very prominent. Makes for a really enjoyable smoke. I got some spice from it in the back of my throat. It was pleasent and I am not a big fan of VaPers. I also got dried, dark fruit tastes. My brain went to a dark cherry flavor. It was not overpowering and lingured on the tongue between draws.

TL:DR - Great medium, sweet smoke with a little spice and dark fruit flavors.

Pipe Used: Peterson Atlantic

Blain407 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blain407 (4)

This is a superb red Virginia flake. I prefer it to 40th anniversary which is definitely saying something considering how good that blend is. C&D has really made something special with this blend. IMHO this stuff is on par with esoterica Virginias. In fact English blending houses don’t have a comparable blend so one could say that this might be one of thee best red Virginia flakes in the world right now. On to the description...like others have said it has a lovely sweetness with a slight tart undertone. When I retrohale I get a wonderfully smooth tanginess that tickles the nostrils. Every bowl has been better than the previous. I’ve found that the flavor is so bright and fruity that one can’t ignore it. It forces one to pay attention to the delicious flavors of citrus fruit and sometimes a sweet wine like note that is ever so tasty. It burns like a dream and needs a below average number of relights. Only drawback is the availability. I was lucky enough to snag 2 tins to try it and immediately regretted not purchasing more. If you see this tin on a shelf in your local tobacconist PICK IT UP!

Pipe Used: 1930’s Kaywoodie meerschaum

Age When Smoked: Less than two weeks from being tinned

Purchased From: Smoking pipes and uptown’s in Nashville

Similar Blends: Mcclelands 40th anniversary...only better.

michaelc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
michaelc (40)

Very good tobacco! I found this flake to be an exceptional tobacco. The tin note is grass and fruit. It is ready to smoke from the tin and is easily rubbed out. It lights easily and burns very well. It is a sweet smoke and satisfying. I bought this because smokingpipes sent me an email and I responded immediately. If you can get a tin, do it. You will not be disappointed if you are able to get some.

Pipe Used: Big bore briars

Age When Smoked: 1 month

Similar Blends: McClelland 40th Anniversarhy.

the_dalai_lama_himself Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
the_dalai_lama_himself (43)

This was good before I returned it. Had no mold but my buddy wanted to return his 10 tins. Red virginias were pleasant with earthiness, tangy sweetness, woodsiness and fruit.. some decent starting age to the tobacco but not anything special.. certainly not much older than most tins you can find at b&m' that have sat for a few years.. perfect 4 star blend no, so I'm giving it a 2.9. Don't want ppl thinking this was some mythically good blend or anything. C&D flakes are real messy btw, wish they could fix that bc they're my favorite producer of tobacco other than SG whose flakes are perfect.

Emeritus Account Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Emeritus Account (28790)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I found C & Ds Carolina Red Flake to be an excellent tobacco. I was surprised by its strength... pretty darn strong. It is much stronger & tastier than the wimpy, McCrannie's Red Ribbon which didn't impress me in the least but it did possess a good flavor but this one is richer & tangier with a more earthy flavor. It doesn't bite & offers up a fairly sweet flavor.

Can be smoked folded or rubbed out & has a long burn rate. Very satisfied with the flavor & satisfied with the extra strength & one bowl was plenty for a good while. Probably not an all day smoke for many but can certainly be enjoyed on a daily basis.

I also use this or McConnell's Red VA & SGFVA with Yenidje & unsweetened Black Cavendish with a little Wellauer's Latakia or McConnells Cyprian, or both, to mix up a good Balkan Blend. Really gives it a boost & turns out a Balkan better than most any on the market. If you like a good Balkan, best to mix it to your own taste preference. Great blend & I've bought plenty to cellar... should age fairly quickly & the longer, the better. Excellent.

Pipe Used: D. S. Huber Bent Dublin

Age When Smoked: A few months

Purchased From: eBay

Similar Blends: A little like C & Ds Red Ribbon, McCranies in flavor but with considerably more strength..

Pipe Wizard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Wizard (10)

Very nice red VA flake. Similar to McClelland 40th Anniversary but a little rough around the edges. This will be a fine smoke indeed with a bit of age on it!

Similar Blends: McClelland - 40th Anniversary (Limited Edition).

Emeritus Account Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Emeritus Account (28790)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Tin aroma is that of hay, earth & grass with no preservative aroma. I found C & Ds Carolina Red Flake to be an excellent tobacco. I was surprised & appreciated its strength... it may roll your eyeballs as it might possibly be the strongest & best tasting Red VA in the world? It is much stronger than a mild, 2000 batch of aged McCrannie's Red Ribbon which didn't impress me all that much due to it's mild nature & lack of strength... almost like plain air but it did possess a good flavor. However, this Carolina Red Flake is richer & tangier with a more earthy flavor. It doesn't bite & offers a relatively sweet, pure, Old Belt Carolina Red VA flavor.

This is a broken flake tobacco... can be smoked as is or rubbed out into its course cut condition & has a long burn rate. Very satisfied with the flavor & appreciated the extra strength. One medium or even a smaller bowl would be enough to satisfy the Vitamin N necessity of any piper. This is probably not an all day smoke for many but can certainly be enjoyed on a daily basis, being much closer to the strong side in the medium to strong classification, especially toward the last third. It is much better in a deeper bowl & provides you with a long, cool burning smoke session... like the Energizer Bunny, it just keeps going & going, getting stronger and tastier as the smoke wafts over the lower portion of the tobacco in your bowl. Dried properly, it burns down to a fine grey ash with very little moisture to contend with, depending on the quality of your pipe which has a lot to do with gurgle & moisture content.

I also use this Carolina Red & McConnell's Red VA, Samuel Gawith FVA, Wilke's Turkish Yenidje, Unsweetened Black Cavendish, Burley & a smidgeon of Lane's 1Q with a little Wellauer's Latakia or McConnells Cyprian, or both, to mix up a good Balkan Blend. Really gives it a boost & turns out a Balkan better than most others on the market. If you like a good Balkan, best to mix it to your own taste preference. Great blend & I've bought plenty to cellar but always on the lookout for more... should age fairly quickly & the longer, the better. I would never have guessed that a straight Red Virginia could be this strong & tasty. Obviously, my favorite Red VA. Excellent!

Pipe Used: D. S. Huber Bent Dublin, Cavicchi Canted Dublin

Purchased From: eBay

Similar Blends: A little like C & Ds Red Ribbon & McCranies in flavor but with considerably more strength...

SiriusAmory Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SiriusAmory (25)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

For the most part, the flake is fairly broken up right from the tin, requiring very little prep before packing a bowl. Right off the bat, there is a dominant flavor of earthy pepper with a barely detectable note of plum sweetness. The retrohale magnifies the pepper and the plum comes a bit more forward. Into the second half of the bowl, the pepper and earth mellow out a bit and I can detect hints of orange peel. I do recommend letting the tobacco dry out a little bit before lighting up because there was a little bit of moisture build up. It did require a fair number of relights, but I think that may have had more to do with my inexperience with flake tobacco.

BrokenRecord Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BrokenRecord (49)

C & D, Carolina Red Flake: The best red Virginia flake currently on the market

The tobacco is pretty uniform in color—arranged in thick cut flakes in the normal C&D fashion. The tobacco leaves have an interesting texture and seem to be a little bit thicker than other Virginia varietals I have tried. The smoke is earthy, in fact, it is one of the earthiest straight Virginia I have ever tried. It is rich, medium body, and a little sweet with a slight tanginess (but not in a citrus way). There is no chance of tongue bite, even when pushed. For such a straight forward flake, a bowl of Carolina Red Flake can mostly hold my interest throughout the smoke. While quite good, I prefer a more complex straight Virginia for my normal rotation.

When I initially opened the tin, I thought the moisture content was slightly high but very smokable . I also felt there was a slight Burley component ( like Orliks Golden Red). The smoke was sweet and tangy but seemed to be prone to bite if pushed.

One month later: the tobacco dried some and lost the bite and burley taste ( now more like GLP's Union Square) . It is now sweet and tangy, good on cold relights, no bitterness BUT,,,still not up to McC's Christmas Cheers.

Pipe Used: cob

Age When Smoked: New/ one month

Similar Blends: Orliks Golden Red, GLP Union Square.