A truly exotic cocktail of tobacco; full flavored, yet mild. We refer to this blend as a "hybrid" because it has characteristics of English and aromatic pipe blends. Semi-sweet flavors are accented by a dash of Latakia to make each bowl its own adventure. One of our most complex blends. Extremely pleasing to your companions, Hunting Creek has an intoxicating room note.

BrandThe Country Squire Tobacconist
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Burley, Latakia, Virginia
CutMixture
Strength
Taste
Medium, Medium to Full
3.8
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The brown sugary black cavendish is the lead component. The nutty, earthy, woody burley is a supporting player. The grassy, citrusy Virginia is a secondary player. The smoky, woody, earthy sweet Cyprian Latakia is a condiment that plays a slight bit above its station. The vanilla topping seems to be the most prominent, but I notice a little nougat, light chocolate, and something else I can’t put my taste buds on, but it seems have a fruit note. The toppings sublimate the tobaccos quite a lot, though they do allow them to mildly peek through. That’s especially true for the Latakia. The strength is in the center of mild to medium, while the taste barely reaches the medium mark. The nic-hit is a slot below the strength threshold. Won’t bite or get harsh, and has no dull moments or rough edges. Burns cool and clean at a reasonable pace with a very consistent sweet, lightly creamy, mildly rich flavor with a hint of savoriness that translates to the lightly lingering after taste. Leaves little moisture in the bowl, and requires an average number of relights. The room note may make you a few friends. An all day smoke. Three and a half stars.

-JimInks

AnglicanSmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AnglicanSmoker (4)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

This is a very good aromatic. It tastes very close to how it smells and did not sour nor burn the tongue. I will say that it does lean more on the aromatic side than the English/Aromatic crossover side. I get chocolate, vanilla and marshmallow flavors with the occasional taste of Latakia in the background. Again, very good and I do recommend it. If you prefer a little more Latakia flavor McClelland 5110 mixes in nicely.

Pipe Used: Peterson Meer

Jasn Wilcox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jasn Wilcox (8)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

An "English" aromatic that I didn't realize was an aromatic at first. A great blend for the aromatic smoker that wants to start experimenting with "English" blends.

No syrup, no goop. Tastes wonderful.

Silver Tongue Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Silver Tongue (3)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

It finally has gotten cool enough in Charleston SC for me to sit outside on my small 2nd story balcony and have a pipe! I loved this tobacco! It is very delicious, creamy, yet mild. I like Balkans, English, Scottish blends. Learning the aromatics, and am discovering TCS Second Breakfast, Old Toby, etc. Doesn’t bite. I don’t have the palate to distinguish what flavor is what, but I know a good smoke when it hits me. Been pipe smoking since I discovered Wilke shop in NY during mid 1960s. Loved cavendish from early on. Hunting Creek is in my top 5 for sure. I’m not an all day smoker, two good bowls a day suit me. Relax and ponder, good conversation when available! Discovering things like Hunter Creek assure that God really loves me!

Pipe Used: Dunhill paneled Shell briar sitter

Age When Smoked: Fresh from CS

Purchased From: The Country Squire

Similar Blends: Can’t say!.

Justindaze Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Justindaze (10)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The tin note is vanilla and maybe a hint of chocolate with an undercurrent of smokey Latakia. It came in the bag at a perfect smoking humidity for me, no drying time needed. It's not sticky or goopy and loads easily into the pipe with a nice springiness to it.

It took to lighting surprisingly easy. I was flooded with tastes and memories, mostly from the aromatic aspects in the beginning. Marshmallow is the first taste that came to mind. Then the vanilla and a touch of chocolate. The marshmallow flavor mixed with the campfire Latakia and reminded me of when I was a kid and we'd go camping and roast marshmallows and eat them by the fire. I remember tasting both at the same time. That's what this is like.

After 10 minutes the Burley comes in with a bready graham cracker taste, so naturally, with the other tastes swirling around, I taste S'mores. This tobacco keeps evolving and it is a fantastic experience. Wow!

The room note is very nice. I think you could smoke this around people who hate Latakia and be ok. I had my partner Amanda stand downwind. Because of us having a house fire many years ago, she has a very bad reaction to Latakia to the point where it triggers anxiety in her. This didn't bother her at all, in fact she liked it!

This one is a sipper. If you push it too hard the tastes muddle up. It is best when it feels "barely lit" and you're just lightly drawing.

This makes a great companion to Whiskey Biscuit Gravy and I can see myself alternating them from day to day to keep things interesting. What a great time for crossover blends!

Hunting Creek burns beautifully and while the tastes will vacillate and take turns at the front of the line, it remains a pleasant smoke till the very end.

As far as the comparisons to McClelland Crossover Blends, I think this is more aromatic than those but one could easily get some blending Latakia and experiment. I personally think, with added Latakia, this would be similar to a Frog Morton or 3 Oaks. You would just have to find the right Latakia and nail the portion.

I'd give this a 5/5 and look forward to smoking s'more of this! What a treat!

Pipe Used: Peterson System 307

Purchased From: The Country Squire

Similar Blends: Shortcut to Mushrooms, Whiskey Biscuit Gravy, Frog Morton.

Rustedrailsmokes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rustedrailsmokes (201)

I found this blend from the Squire to be an unsung hero. Similar to "Crossover" blends like Frog Morton, its an English Crossover that you can smoke around others because of the pleasing room note.

Ribbon Cut it is easy to load and fire up. The main player is a sweetness with I'm expecting from the Cavendish. The sweetness is not overpowering (but carries in the room note) and allows the other players to come through. There is a nutty mid-range and also a little bit of smokiness from the Latakia here.

My jar has been aging now for a couple of years and the blend continues to improve with age. The components are more melded than I remember fresh from the order and its become a quite enjoyable smoke.

Nicotine is mild to my taste and I never have gotten bit by it even when pushed.

This is one I'll be getting more of to cellar and enjoy in the future.

Pipe Used: Radiator Pipes, Cobs

Purchased From: The Country Squire

Similar Blends: McClelland - Frog Morton (Craftsbury Series).