From The Country Squire Tobacconist website: Bring home the warmth and spirit of The Shire's coziest inn! Green Dragon, a blend of ripe air-cured and rich flue-cured Virginia tobaccos, is as smooth as it is easy to smoke. The richness of the blend is accented by noticeable grass, hay, and natural sugars. A treat for you pallet and your companions!

Notes: Fall 2018 re-release is an updated blend without McClelland ingredients.

BrandThe Country Squire Tobacconist
Blended ByJohn David Cole
Manufactured ByThe Country Squire Tobacconist
Strength
Taste
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable
3.6

The Virginias are dark stoved and brown with a little lighter shade (not lemon) in the mix. The flavors range from some tangy stewed, sugary dark fruit, a little tangy dark fruit and minor citrus. There's light grass notes along with some earth and wood. I taste a light sugar and caramel topping, judiciously added so that it melds well with the tobaccos. The strength and nic-hit are a step past the mild mark. The taste is in the center of mild to medium. Won't bite or get harsh. Burns cool and clean at a moderate pace with hardly any relights, and leaves very little moisture in the bowl. The flavor is mostly consistent from beginning to end. Easily burns to ash. Not complex and not very strong, but it's a very comfortable all day smoke that wears well during the day for the smoker who prefers a mild, easy going tobacco blend. Has a pleasant, short lived tangy after taste.

-JimInks

Old Shrink Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old Shrink (19)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

The Country Squure Tobacconist “Green Dragon”

I was gifted a pouch of this from a friend & original blender; later more arrived from another friend. It seems like a straight Virginia ribbon cut with few additives. The VA seems stoved & brown with lighter flakes & is very tasty! It presents with overtures of fruit & has a tad of citrus & sweetness w/o any bite. It smokes cool w/few re-lights. It is not a complex tobacco & easily an all day smoke. The moisture content is just right & has no goop in the bowl but has a nice white ash. I enjoy both the English blender Gawith Hoggarth, Samuel Gawith & the Mac Baren blends of Denmark. It is easy to recommend this blend for those of us enjoying a quality change. It is an easy smoke pared well with a pot of hot Earl Grey tea! I smoked this recently outdoors during the Symphony intermission & received positive comments from both men & women.

Pipe Used: Briars: Ashton’s, Dunhills, Comoys

Age When Smoked: Cellared to new

Purchased From: Gifted & Blender: The Country Squire

William H. Hardy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
William H. Hardy (82)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I was interested in this tobacco, as Jon David blended it for a tobacco smoking contest that he had in the Squire a several months ago. I didn't get to participate in the contest, but I had heard several good things about the blend. As I'm always up for a new Virginia tobacco, I bought a couple of ounces.

Definitely on the sweet side of Virginias, it has enough complexity to keep me interested, and enough body to keep the nicotine demons satisfied. I agree with Jim in that there seems to be very light, sweet topping on it. I could not swear to this, but it certainly seems like it to me. (Actually, yeah. There's a topping.)

This is a great Virginia blend that hits all the right buttons for me for what I want in one. There's sweetness, body, and complexity in it. It's not overly complex, I would say, but it definitely has some changes through out the bowl with some building of strength and flavor. This is definitely a blend that I will revisit when I go through Jackson and will probably buy in greater increments. I feel fortunate to live close enough to go up and visit every few months and always enjoy hanging out at the Squire. And of course, watching Jon David blend his tobaccos is always entertaining. Watching people blend tobacco is, I find, fascinating, and I always like to go in the Squire and see Jon David or Caleb at work behind the tobacco bar.

Pipe Used: Pipes which are reserved for Virginias

Purchased From: The Country Squire, Tobacconist

Rustedrailsmokes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rustedrailsmokes (182)

I purchased some Green Dragon from CS based on the reviews here and discussion in the Squire club. Like all of the CS blends I have tried so far, this one uses high quality ingredients. It is part of the "middle earth" series based on locations in the Lord of the Rings

The color is a mix of lighter and dark tobaccos in the bag. The smell from the bag is sweet and similar to an Orlik Golden. The ribbon cut is easy to load. The tobacco is also easy to light and took quickly to a match. From the website it says its a combination of flue-cured and air-cured Virginias.

Like many VAs, to me it seemed to burn warm and require a gentle smoking pattern to tame. The main taste was a high sweetness once again similar to Orlik Golden. It is more sugar than hay to me. Some midrange notes of something a little darker would poke through from time-to-time in a supporting role. Taste very consistent through the bowl with no major variations from beginning to end.

It burns the best to me in a larger and taller bowl. Smokes great in my Canadians due to the ribbon cut.

The Nic level to me is a medium. It's a tobacco that could be an all day smoke for a VA lover. For me, this seems like a great Spring/Summer smoke when I tend to reach for straight VAs. In the winter, I like a little Latakia Smokiness or Dark Fired bass which this doesn't have.

The Country Squire can always be counted on to provide quality blends as they have for the last 50 years. I look forward to being able to visit the store someday on my "pilgrimage" and meet the staff who are always so friendly in contact.

The room note to my wife was acceptable (she prefers aro notes of course). The tobacco always burns down to nice ash and leaves no noticeable dobble from my experience.

Pipe Used: Radiator Pipes, Canadians

Age When Smoked: Aug 2019

Purchased From: Country Squire

Similar Blends: Orlik Tobacco Company A/S - Golden Sliced (Red Tin).

Desertislandtoolworks Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Desertislandtoolworks (12)

This blend is a delightful light bright virginia. I'm not sure but the bag note seems to have a bit of topping but I could be wrong. Overall the note and smoke are sweet with a bit of grass to it as well. Occasionally through the bowl I get a hint of musty hay but in a good way. The tobacco seems a touch wet as I recieved it but smokes extremely well with few if any relights. This has been my summer smoke and very well may be an annual guest in my rotation that is usally a bit heavier with Lat and Perique blends. It's hard to smoke this and not picture a chubby little hobbit enjoying it with you on a summer day in the garden. I've been thinking about pressing some of this into a crumble cake to make it a little bit more handy for travel and to see what it does aged a bit in that form.

Pipe Used: Corncob, briar