The unsliced version of Samuel Gawith's Cabbies Mixture.

BrandSamuel Gawith
Taste
3.7
StevieB (2008)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant

Samuel Gawith - Cabbies Uncut.

Cabbies Uncut raises this question to me: why make more work for yourself? I think, the only benefit of CU would be if you found the regular mixture to be nowhere near chunky enough, other than that I can't really see the point in wasting time in preparation when it's available pretty much ready to smoke from a tin. Enough petty whinging, I'll get on with it!

The twist looks quite thick in its un-sliced form, and it's also firm; this takes a sharp blade and a steady hand to ready it for smoking. As well, it's in keeping with the usual amount of wetness expected from Sam G'; slice it then let it dry! There really isn't much of a difference between Mixture and Uncut where the smoking qualities are concerned; unless you prefer VERY chunky tobacco, thus slicing it thicker!

As I found with the tinned version, the Perique gives more flavour than just spice alone; it's nowhere near as sharp as some VaPers; more of the peppery taste, and less of the 'cooling sensation' on the palate.

The Virginia makes up a large proportion of the smoke's taste, as you'd expect: grassy, hay-like, and slightly citrus.

The flavour from Cabbies Uncut is superb, but, as I'm quite lazy all it's really done is remind me how much I like the tinned Mixture!

Four stars for the smoke and two stars for the prep' time; that, I believe, makes this worth three stars!

Recommended.

Pipe Used: Altinok Lee Van Cleef Meer'

Purchased From: GQ Tobaccos

StevieB’s review of Cabbie’s Uncut had me rolling as it matches my thoughts as well so not much to add here. I really liked, and reviewed Cabbies Mixture when it first arrived here in the States and cellared quite a bit of it. At the time, I felt that it was just hair short of a full four stars and with a tad bit more of age, it would be simply killer good. The uncut version arrived quite wet, which being from SG is no surprise and nothing one of the wife’s good steak knives couldn’t fix as I choose to chop it up fine after a lot of dry time. I also smoked it unrolled and roughly cut. This turned out to be my favorite way and tipped the scales to four full stars for me as it really gave me great shots of Perique. Yes, it’s a pain in the arse to prepare, but there are more ways to smoke it and my uneducated guess is that in uncut form the cellar experience will be better.

Similar Blends: Cabbies Mixture.

The bright, red and stoved, mildly fermented Virginias provide a lot of tart and tangy citrus, plenty of bread with a mild toastiness, some grass, tartly sour lemon, floralness, light tangy dark fruit and tangy sugary stewed fruit, earth, wood, and a little sugar with a couple pinches of spice, and bare hints of vinegar. They are the lead components. The potent pepperiness of the earthy, woody, plumy, raisiny, figgy perique is its most obvious attribute. That almost makes it a supporting player. The strength, nic-hit, and taste levels are a step past the medium mark. There’s no chance of bite or harshness, but the spice is a little tongue tingly, so I recommend a moderate puffing cadence. This seems to be a tad spicier and more fermented than the regular cut production. It takes a little effort to slice to your preference, and it may require a short dry time for some smokers. It’s well balanced with some complexity. Burns cool, clean and slow with a very consistent, deeply rich sweet and spicy, zesty flavor that extends to the pleasantly lingering after taste. The room note is a notch stronger. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires some relights. Not quite an all day smoke due to the pepper content. Four stars. I gave three and a half to the cut version.

-JimInks