A full bodied latakia blend made the traditional way. With the best Virginia, the finest Oriental leaves, dark fired Kentucky, a good pinch of Louisiana perique and of course a good amount of smoky latakia.

Notes: A full-flavored F&K blend, but not overly strong. A pleasant, gentle, and cool smoke.

BrandF & K
ContentsKentucky, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia
Strength
Taste
3.4
StevieB (1947)

F & K - Black Bayou Mist.

Quite coarse ribbons, going through all shades of brown from some that are nearly black to a few golden ones, with the majority being medium brown. The hydration's too low, shame because that's one of the few negatives.

For the beginning of the smoke the Latakia accounts for the largest proportion, with the Kentucky and Oriental giving a joint support. I couldn't detect much Perique at the start, but it reared its head as soon as the burn had stabilized. When this appears the smoke develops a dark fruitiness, and becomes a lot more enjoyable. The fiery note from the Kentucky also calms down when the Perique joins in; it's still present, but nowhere near as formidable as at the beginning. It burns very independently, but because of the dryness it goes too fast.

The nicotine's above medium, and although the room-note smells nice, it manufactures lots of smoke in the room.....too much.

I'll rate Black Bayou Mist with three stars, the dryness removes the fourth star it would get. If it weren't for that it would be a BRILLIANT smoke.

Recommended.

Pipe Used: Peterson Sherlock Holmes Lestrade P'Lip

Age When Smoked: One month

The tobacco itself is a mix of colors - tans, browns and blacks. It is a medium chopped ribbon of varying lengths, and mine came at a good level of hydration for smoking.

I like the dark fired and perique combination, and this looked like a good thing to try. I was not disappointed. The latakia is a light touch, and the smoke is a little spicy. The flavor is med-full, and there is a very satisfying complexity. It smoked cool for me and was easy to keep lit.

This one is good, and it scratches the Vintage Syrian itch for me at a lower price point. This one is easy to recommend. I have bought a pound of it, so it is a 3.5 on the rating scale.

Ducksbreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ducksbreath (124)

This is highly reccomended IF you like strong hybrid English blends, such as Engine 99 or any number of C&D's burley/English melanges (Bayou Night, Crowley's Best, etc etc).

The difference is this gets its body from dark fired instead of chesty burley, and the perique is the hot and spicy rather than figgy variety. For me, the latakia and Turkish take a back seat but are both present. Or if they do make themselves known, it is the Perique and dark fired that stick with me.

The bottom of the bowl is quite spicy and overall the vit N is edging to the right of medium.

An utterly overlooked contribution to the genre. I suppose this shows its European roots somewhere but to me is very much like one of the American burley/Englishes mentioned above in body and overall character.

I find it totally biteless, no doubt the perique and the ph is very mouth friendly (prickly = no bite for me).

The dark fired is not as smooth as one finds in ODF. I like it, but I like these types of blends.

Similar Blends: Habana Daydream, Bayou Night, etc..

Knightsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Knightsmoker (181)

This is better than the average lat blend overall. The lat is smokey with campfire notes and a little sweet. The Turkish is Izmir I believe, it is creamy, musty, a little spicy and has a slight bitterness that I enjoy. It competes with the lat and often comes forward. The KY is woodsy, spicy, a little sweet, and I think the dry earthiness I get in this blend comes from this and the Izmir combining. The VA's have some dark fruit notes, a passing note of hay here and there as well and a note of sweet spice that comes in on occasion that reminds me a little of cinnamon. The perique is used to add to the body of the smoke but is hardly present in the smoke itself. When it comes in there is a faint pepper note and it may also be part of the dark fruit note I get as well. The nic is solidly at the med level and could easily be an all day smoke if one was inclined. The tobacco was a bulk buy but it did come a little too dry. While this has all the components for an exceptional smoke it just did not rise to the occasion. Better than average but far from distinguishing itself for me. Still I could see how it could be someones all day lat blend. Overall, recommended to try it might be a great bend for someone.

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (226)

I absolutely love F&K blends. Lancer slices were a solid 3.5. Their Sterling Balkan is a solid 4 star blend for me, and one I'll always have on hand.

Pouch appearance covers the full spectrum of colors. Ranging from Bright Virginias and Orientals, to medium Dark Fired, all the way down to pitch black Latakia. Very uniform cut of ribbon, this packs very nicely on the drier side. Speaking of dry.... As I noted in my 2016 review of Sterling Balkan, F&K ship on the dry side. And I am not complaining!! You end up with more tobacco by weight in your order due to lack of excess moisture. Not a big deal when you order a few ounces, but when you order a pound or two, it can add up! Initial lighting is quick and easy.

Bayou Mist is a mildly spicy smoke. You'll have no problem finding the Perique in here, but its done right! Add Leathery, slightly sweet, woodsy notes along with the perfect touch of smokiness, you have a winner here! The Dark Fired adds a solid backbone to this blend, and adds that next level of complexity. Although I enjoy this often, it begs to be smoked on a cool, autumn evening with a glass of whiskey. Solid 4 stars.

Pipe Used: several