A traditional English flake combined with natural bright Virginias from Africa and Brazil creates a subtle flavour of spice with a hint of sweetness.

Notes: This is one of the three new tobaccos known as the "Founders Collection" produced to honor Charles Peterson, Henry Kapp and Fredrick Kapp on Peterson's 150th anniversary in 2015.

BrandPeterson
CountryIE
Strength
Taste

Peterson - Signature Flake.

To me, this is what smoking a pipe's all about. I don't see how any true Va flake lover wouldn't fall for this!

Although I have a sealed tin, I also had some of it loose in a baggie so I used that for this review as I could see it was aching to be smoked; the moisture was perfect!

The flake's themselves are just above a medium brown in colour with many lighter flecks across them. As others have said, they're quite thin and that aids crumbling/rubbing.

The very second the pipe's lit I can't wait to open my fresh tin; it's a fabulous smoke that belongs in every rotation! I could smoke it forever!

I'm not too sure what, if any, topping has been used but the smoke has, alongside the superb freshness of the grassy Virginia's, a sort of mild, sweetness; it's not one that implies anything strong but there does seem to be a delicate extra addition of some sort. I find this more recognizable after about a quarter of a bowl. Although I'm thinking of opening my sealed tin, I'm wondering, if I cellar it how sweet would it be with some aged released dextrose to it? Food for thought!

I can't find a bad thing to say about this; it's gives a good note, medium nicotine, nice flavour, a slow burn and no bite.

Highly recommended

Pipe Used: Peterson St. Patricks 2014

Age When Smoked: Two weeks in baggie

Purchased From: GQ Tobaccos

The bright and darker Virginias offer lightly tart and rather tangy citrus, grass/hay, earth and a little dark fruit, bread and wood. I also get a hint of spice and a bare floral note. I think a light citrus topping is added as well as a touch of honey. They don’t tone down the tobaccos much. The strength level falls just shy of the center of mild to medium, while the taste pushes just past the middle mark. The nic-hit is a step past mild. Won’t bite, but has a slight rough edge at times which is a little more noticeable if you are a fast puffer. Burns cool, clean and a little slow even though the flakes are easy to break apart. The flavor is consistent from top to bottom. Leaves little dampness in the bowl and requires some relights. Has a pleasantly lingering sweet after taste. An all day smoke.

-JimInks

Sasquatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sasquatch (85)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I will agree with StevieB here: this is wonderful tobacco and I'll fight anyone who doesn't think so.

Friendly in all ways, bite free, just sweet enough, just full enough. Never dull, never boring, but never aggressive either. I got more from a big pipe than a small, for some reason, but I may have packed the small pipe too tightly and steamed myself a bit. But with room to breathe, this is a delicious smoke. Bright and sweet. Well done Peterson. No idea how this could be anything but 4 stars for a virginia lover but tastes do vary.

Pipe Used: Castello, peterson

Age When Smoked: fresh tin, no signs of aging

Similar Blends: Right in the middle of a family of tobaccos - Dunhill Flake, Reiner Long Golden, and Orlik Golden Sliced. , Savinelli Brunello comes to mind too..

Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Peterson’s Signature Flake is medium brown in color with some bright Virginia lightly interspersed. The flake scent is mainly of hay and a light citrus-like topping. I usually break flakes in to smaller and larger pieces but prefer this blend folded and stuffed. The manually added sweetness gives SF the flavor of a flake that has been aged and topping aside, it made have been for some time prior to tinning. This is a sweet flake along the lines of Orlik Golden Sliced in terms of sweetness. Starting out mild, SF quickly builds to medium strength and doesn’t bite, even when pushed. The added flavoring, grows stronger as each bowl progresses to the point that this wouldn’t be an everyday blend for me, but enjoyable just the same.

Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

100 gram tin of perfectly layered golden brown flakes. Tin aroma of basic hay and a very slight topping of the honeyed fruit variety. While I usually fold and stuff or rub out, I found a combo worked best. For some weird reason, this one liked to be packed more tightly than most flakes.

Sasquatch turned me onto this one and that hairy fellow certainly knows his tobacco. Whereas we don't agree on a lot of what we enjoy or not, he always seems to have his finger on the pulse of whatever blend he's discussing. He nailed this one. This is a blend that epitomizes the "Not Too" tobacco blends. It was "not too" anything... not too sweet, not too spicy, not too grassy, not too complex, not too anything! It was juuuuust right in all departments. Granted, I may want more of this or that, or less of this or that, but this one cannot be faulted for its exquisite balance. The flavor was just citrusy enough, with just enough graham cracker and spice to be interesting at any time of day, before or after meals, and really at any time. The topping was very mild and I wouldn't care to name it, but light honey and fruit seems to come closest. This is just a stellar Virginia flake. It's not Gawithian or McClelland-y... by that I mean it's not boisterous in its greatness. It's more subdued, and when one is tired of the overly complex, the overly fruity, the overly this or that, Peterson Signature Flake is what they should reach for. Truly an inspiring flake. I am getting more for the cellar. For when I want something that's "Not Too, but just enough". Sas and StevieB really hit this one on the nail.

moniker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
moniker (153)
Mild Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Peterson’s Signature Flake is a straight VA, a true flake that comes in two neat, short stacks in a tin that’s oversized for 100g. The variegated flakes range from golden to mid and darker browns, reflecting flue cured lemon, air cured orange and brown, and a little stoved red leaf, all cold pressed and fermented before tinning. Tin note is grasses, wet hay, buttered oatmeal, and fermenting brown bread along with dates, figs, orange, and a breath of anise. It took a month’s rest in its “re-sealed” tin before this one came into its own. Folded and stuffed, it lights with patience, and it burns well enough. It is mild at the light, ramping up over the course of a bowl, with the tin notes ever present under typical, first quality VAs. I would say PSF is “centered” between lemon and orange leaf, with the browns and reds adding some depth. Re-lights are no problem. Strength is just over mild. Tastes are toward medium. Room note is pleasant. Aftertaste is a slightly metallic version of the best of the smoke, trailing off slowly, with rising sugar.

There are several great straight VAs available to close TR readers, and you can add PSF to the list. 4 stars, once it’s been properly rested.

Pipe Used: dedicated briars

Age When Smoked: rested 1 month +

Purchased From: Liberty Tobacco

Big Train Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Train (102)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

As a smoker of Virginia folded flakes I have my favorites . Chief among them are the four by F & T and the Wessex flakes . This Peterson's blend joins that select group . Upon opening the can I simply enjoyed looking at it for a while . Long folded flakes in a round can , neatly piled up and a nice blond color . The tin note is very inviting , there is a slight top note something like citrus . It reminded my somewhat of Wessex gold flake but much softer in texture . The moisture level seemed perfect . This Peterson's blend has a nice , steady burn and leaves a clear white ash . The taste is very subtle , one must puff slowly to enjoy it . It should be smoked in a Virginia dedicated pipe or the smoker will miss the true value of this tobacco . With all of the new tobaccos coming out in 2015 this is , in my opinion , the best by far .

2/8/16 The above review was after I opened and smoked the first of two cans ordered . The second can simply was not the same tobacco , not even close . After examining and smoking the much darker tobacco within I thought that it looked like , in my opinion , Peter Stockebye's luxury navy flake eventhough the navy Flake has perique . The second can had a totally different tobacco than the first can . A mistake at the factory seemed possible . I opened a third can , from the 5 new ones I ordered and it too resembled luxury navy flake . It now seems to have a harshness that the original issue did not have . Good for an outdoors smoke but not the prima ballerina I had at first thought .

Pipe Used: Dunhill group 3 root prince

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (183)

This is the first of the Founders Collection that I have tried. This ranks right up there with Peterson's other fine flake offerings. The flakes are of a generous size and are on the thin side for relative ease in loading up your pipe. The tin note and room note are great. The presentation is very good as well. The Virginias used here are of a good quality. This blend smokes down to a nice fine ash at the bottom of the bowl. The nicotine level is just right. They say that there is a casing, but it is so much in the background as to go unnoticed. Just a great Virginia blend with that nice hay smell to it. Definitely recommended when you can get your hands on some.

DeathMetal.org Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DeathMetal.org (153)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Summary: a mild Virginia flake with an added berry essence that makes for a good comforting all-day smoke.

Virginia flakes reward those who smoke slowly for hours on end. To extract their flavor, the bowl must smolder just above going out and be drawn slowly into the mouth by the natural pressure of breathing through the nose. This flake looks to be a mixture of bright and brown Virginias with an added berry or plum flavor that creates a scent and flavor not entirely dissimilar to Perique without the rough edges. The thin flakes bend and light easily and burn slowly at perfect moisture, making this an ideal comfort smoke, in that you can stuff a couple into a large pipe and be very happy for a couple hours with a sweet but not cloying flavor. The only critique I might offer here is that the berry flavor has a strong aftertaste which seems to intensify during the first third of the bowl, but the underlying leaf is of good quality and well prepared.

Similar Blends: Newminster - No. 400 Superior Navy Flake, Peter Stokkebye - Luxury Navy Flake, Mac Baren - Capstan Original Navy Cut.

Greekpipesmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Greekpipesmoker (198)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

It took me a while to find this blend because as i searched it isn't widely distributed as other Peterson blends.once the tin cracks a wonderfull sour,citrusy and spicy smell comes out.very natural and pleasing.the perfect cut and moisture flakes combine bright and darked virginias,rub out easy with no drying time needed.lighting needs some effort and several relights are needed.while smoking there's only pleasure.virginias offer citruses,grass,fruits,dark fruits and bread notes.the topping wich is added is mildly sweet,lemony spicy and sour wich in my opinion enhances the tobacco flavours.generally the flavours are great,very pleasant and natural.burns slow and medium hot to perfect ash with some moisture created at the filter.the nicotine level is medium and the aftertaste pleasant.room note is a typical tobacco smell.no chance of tongue bite.an all day and night blend that can satisfy even the most experienced smoker.simply GREAT, totally recommended!

Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

I just finished up half a tin of this: The other half I jarred after opening the 100g tin. I was not too crazy about this, primarily because it is just a little too light/mild for my tastes. Otherwise this is a fine Virginia blend. It has some nice sweetness to it: hay and citrus.

This is one that should delight those who prefer Capstan Yellow to Capstan Blue. I am in the latter camp as I prefer my straight Vas to be fuller. The particular problem I have with these lighter Vas is I tend to pull on them harder to get more flavor (and probably nicotine) which tends to get them burning hot and thus killing the sweetness.

This does not happen all the time, so there were more than a couple of smokes where I could see exactly where some of the high rated reviews were coming from. It is good, but if you like you Virginias on the fuller side. FVF, Dunhill Flake, Capstan Blue . . . ., I would avoid this one.

Similar Blends: Capstan Yellow.

Erfan Rezaei Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Erfan Rezaei (11)
Medium Medium Mild Unnoticeable

It really disappointed me, especially when Peterson spends a lot of propaganda on it and putting such a rip off in the founders choice collection. I compare it with Dunhill flake and I suppose it's a fare comparison. Really soapy taste and low flavor to my mouth. It isn't even of the full bodied Virginia you would count on it as a reference and I assure you there won't be any return to such a medium concept.

toddsmith7378 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
toddsmith7378 (41)

This is the best pure Virginia flake I have on tap and I have a few. It has a light and I mean light fresh casing that doesn't effect the taste that I perceive.

I may have just gotten a super awesome batch, but it's very consistent in its pure Virginia taste. If you like Virginia you can't go wrong here. This one pops forward where others will seem somewhat muted by comparison. By others I mean Dunhill flake, Dunhill Dark Flake, and McClelland 40th.

Now 40th can reach a pinnacle of flavor above this one, but not consistently as the flake's may be mixed in different proportions. Also, Marlin Flake is as special as this but in a darker sweet way. This is just pure popping Virginia with no bite, every bowl.

I had to write this review after smoking Dunhill flake a few bowls for the first time recently. I figured with the accolades Dunhill would have a superior taste to me, but it doesn't yet. Maybe, just maybe the Dunhill needs some age and its in no way second rate, just this one pops on the taste buds with that Virginia taste a bit louder and without bite. There may be others I haven't tried, but this is an honest approximation from the one's I have, and I know which one stands better in my current rotation. Glad its made by Peterson because I don't think they are going anywhere and this is one I really don't want to do without.

Pipe Used: Briar, Meer

Age When Smoked: New, few months

Purchased From: Online Retailer

Similar Blends: Any Pure Virginia Flake.

GeeJay Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GeeJay (3)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Strong

Well, Peterson has made this Straight Virginia as a special one. And they were right. This is a typical Peterson blend. It is mentioned before: reserve for this tobacco a pipe you do use for your Va's. I've smoked in my rototation pipes and the taste was overwhelmed by the ghost of other tobaccos. Take your time with it and enjoy, relaxed puffing this no 1 tobacco

Pipe Used: Stanwell Cutty

Age When Smoked: fresh from the tin

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

These are nicely prepared, thin, moist, pliable flakes that are easy to fold and pack. The mix of yellow, brown and darker VAs result in a balanced and sweet smoke and I didn't think that the topping had much influence. Burned evenly and cool without the need for relights. Enjoyable, but other straight VAs available at lower unit cost in bulk are just as good.

Pipe Used: various bowl sizes

Purchased From: pipes & cigars.com

Rob Kimberley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rob Kimberley (4)

I'm just doing a side by side comparison of this which I was gifted here in the UK with Stokkebye's Luxury Navy Flake, after reading a previous review. Very interesting. The look alike, smell alike and taste alike. Now, this may be just my taste buds, but as the Peterson is listed as straight Virginia, and the Stokkebye is listed as a VaPer, I am somewhat confused. I would therefore be very interested to see other reviews of this blend.

Pipe Used: Meerschaum

Steerpike Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steerpike (105)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

A very pleasant bright Virginia flake with subtle topping in much the same vein as Dunhill Light Flake, Peterson Signature Flake will surely appeal to fans of that benchmark tobacco.

It is only supplied in 100g tins, and may be slightly more economical as a result (all baccy is expensive of course), the neatly cut flakes come in a row, half folded. I took them out and laid them in the tin in two stacks, to prevent them getting broken up, as one flake is just right for my pipe, providing a long, slow smoke of at least an hour (up to two!). Aroma in the tin is of hay, crusty white bread and a hint of citrus which I take to be a topping of some sort, but mild and well integrated with the tobacco. This isn't an aromatic or heavily scented tobacco. The tobacco is supplied rather moist, and benefits from half an hour or so rubbed out on a piece of paper before filling the pipe.

It takes an even light with two matches, and at lighting, a sharp citrus flavour is noted. This settles to a very mild Virginia flavour of bread and hay, with subtle malty sweetness. As the bowl progresses the flavour builds in intensity, but never gets heavy. There is a subtle spice and citrus flavour behind the bready, satisfying flavour. The bread character is foremost, like the kind of bread you'd have fresh from the wood fired oven in Brittany - lovely.

Like all Virginia tobaccos this is best enjoyed over a long, slow, lazy smoke, or sipped slowly while engaged in slow activities, it stays lit with minimal input. If puffed over enthusiastically it will get hot and can bite, and the subtleties will be lost. If it overheats, slow down or set it aside until the pipe has cooled down, it relights well. Eventually there will be a plug of dottle left which is resistant to smoking, this is a good time to call it a day.

It's nice accompanied by a cup of tea, Earl Grey without milk is ideal, but breakfast tea is great too. I've been enjoying this as a morning smoke, and to me it's a "spring and summer" tobacco, but I'm sure it could be an excellent all day, all year smoke. Overall, I'll heartily recommend this to Virginia fans, will buy it again, and will stash some away to see how it develops with age. I'm hoping the sweetness will be enhanced.

Pipe Used: Chacom Lazur 297

Purchased From: Mysmokingshop

Similar Blends: Dunhill Light Flake, Charatan Flake.

Pseudo Nim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pseudo Nim (126)

Beautifully presented with flakes of a generous size that easily seperate, and for me that's all there is to like about this flake, the more I smoke it the more I dislike it. Rum and maple are used as the flavouring ? I can't taste that at all, I just get a mild soapiness that lingers and gets a little stronger from time to time and I hate floral/soapy tobaccos. If you like a mildly floral tobacco, this is right up your street, it is otherwise a very nice easygoing steady burning tobacco, but what is the point if you don't like the taste and especially the aftertaste. Now this review is written after several plus bowls and I did want to like it, it is good quality weed, but the taste just doesn't go well with me. Would I recommend it to someone ? I would advise them of a possible floral taste they may get and suggest they try and buy a sample first as a 100 gram tin is a lot of money when you are only dissapointed. Therefore I feel that IMHO, 2 stars is being generous.

UPDATE 27 July 2018 In desperation, after reading so many positive reviews, I tried this in a clean clay, surprisingly the floral notes dissapeared and a decent smoke ensued, as I clean a clay (by burning) after every smoke, I find this to intensive in work for this to be a regular. Therefore I will stick to 2 stars I will finish the tin, eventually, but it's not one for my rotation.

Pipe Used: Peterson 150 straight bulldog and a clay

Purchased From: GQ

Similar Blends: Probably Condor blended..

Emeritus Account Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Emeritus Account (28795)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Unnoticeable

This is the second tin of this I've tried and found it to be a very nice blend. It didn't need any drying out and is good to go right away. Just one point, I found it to be a bit harsh on the charring light but after it settles down to a really pleasant smoke. It really settles down about a third of the way down the bowl. In all a really nice smoke with no tongue bite, burns well and a very satisfying smoke.

Pipe Used: Savinneli briar and meershaum