Samuel Gawith Commonwealth Mixture

(3.33)
Commonwealth is one of Samuel Gawith's oldest and best known. The blend of Virginias and Latakia offers a full strength smoke.

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

3.33 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 181 - 190 of 207 Reviews
Jun 09, 2015 Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable
I hate not recommending a latakia blend, but this has no complexity to it. I get that its 50/50, and that might be the problem for me. Yes, it delivers a decent Latakia flavor, but that is where this it ends. I wouldn't be upset if someone gave it to me, but I will never buy this again. It does smoke OK, although like all SG tobaccos, it comes wicked moist. Had to air dry the first few bowl fulls for awhile. After that, it got better because the lid fit was horrendous, allowing a ton of air to get in. For the monry, there are SO MANY other blends out there to satisfy. This is not it.
Pipe Used: Ben Wades
Feb 15, 2015 Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant
Based on a tin aged 4 yrs: WONDERFUL Lat aroma on opening, I almost wanted to eat it. Easy ribbon cut, packs & lights right up, one tamp & relight and - that great smell of Lat is just barely balanced by Va sweetness to create a near-ideal flavor & aroma. Smokes cool & dry w/ not much change in flavor but for the occasional burst of sugary Va. Highly recommended IF AND ONLY IF you love lots of Lat.
Pipe Used: Meer, cob, clay
PurchasedFrom: ??
Age When Smoked: 4 yrs
Nov 29, 2014 Medium None Detected Medium Pleasant
A latakia lovers dream. Very much just a straightforward VA and latakia mixture. This is nicely smoky, but to the detriment of the overall flavor. I cannot detect the VAs as much as I would like. Good volume of smoke, which is essential for my liking a blend/mixture. I like more complexity and balance in my latakia blends, but if you like it smoky with some VA there for support then this would be one to try.
Nov 11, 2014 Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable
Great stuff. One of my first Lat blends so it took me a while to appreciate. Probably my fav SG lat blend. An easy 4 stars.
Aug 07, 2014 Extremely Strong None Detected Extra Full Very Strong
Nope this one is not for me. No aroma, full strength, bad smell of latakia. Stay away if you like aromatic tobaccos. I tried and dumped it...
PurchasedFrom: Tobaccoshop
Oct 10, 2013 Medium Medium Medium to Full Tolerable
This is 1 of a good Latakia blend, Very good smoke, Taste was so sweet from the start of the the bow till the end. I enjoy this tobacco and ones of my favourite.
Aug 19, 2013 Very Strong None Detected Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable
This is the best tobacco i've smoked and would recommend it to any lover of English blends and non aromatics. It is very stout and and has a great aftertaste. I would also recommend it to any converted cigar smokers on the grounds of its smokey and full flavor. Bear in mind that it is very different from a cigar. It is somewhat unlike my other favorite tobacco, Peterson Irish Flake, but both of which top my list tied for #1.

I would not recommend this to aromatic smokers, beginners, moderate smokers, and Black and mild addicts. But anyone with a taste for strong tobacco I feel would like this.

No bite at all for me. Cant say for you. And if anything is an indicator it is that every time i buy this I buy several other tobaccos and this is gone first and I have to order more. I would recommend this over gawith squadron leader.

Happy Smoking
Jul 16, 2013 Medium None Detected Medium to Full Strong
The latakia bomb from SG. Smokes cool and dry, even straight from the newly opened tin. A very pleasant smoke that burns rather slowly and evenly. For the hardcore English lovers in my opinion. The latakia content might be a bit overwhelming for some. A very oak-y and smoky blend with a great after-taste. The room note is strong and I must say the wife hates it: " Week-old camping gear yet to be aired out" is how she described it if I recall correctly... As I said, very smoky... Good blend nonetheless, I find SG reasonably priced for the quality.

I had a bowl after an oriental meal the other night, goes very well after harissa.
Jul 09, 2013 Medium None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong
Tricky one to review. As others have noted, this 50/50 virginia & latakia mixture is fairly monotone. Then again, it doesn't pretend to be something it isn't. If you feel like other English tobaccos don't have enough latakia for you then it is worth a try, as the components are of the high quality one expects from Samuel Gawith, but I can't really give it more than two stars.
Jun 11, 2013 Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Tolerable
I had found that the SG line of flakes were very inconsistently sized. The cut would be thin for one flake and then thick for the next flake. Also the flakes were a little difficult to rub out. Lastly, I had trouble keeping this stuff lit and producing an acceptable amount of smoke. These flakes had really nice flavor though. Eventually dropped the whole line of flakes due to these drawbacks. Now some of the ribbon mixtures werfe certainly better than the flakes.

This one was ok, but I like a little more than just Lat, and VA.

target="_blank"