Notes: This is a full bodied English blend made from some of the finest tobacco leaves and latakia. It is one of the three new tobaccos known as the "Founders' Collection" made to honour Charles Peterson, Henry Kapp and Fredrick Kapp on Peterson's 150th anniversary in 2015

BrandPeterson
Manufactured ByScandinavian Tobacco Group
Blend TypeVirginia/Latakia
ContentsLatakia, Virginia
CutMixture
Strength
Taste
Medium, Medium to Full

3.1
krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (183)

I picked this up from my local B&M. It is quite a nice blend with a nice dose of Latakia added to the Virginia. This seems to be in the middle of the road as far as taste, room note and tin note goes. It is at the right moisture level right out of a freshly opened tin. The nicotine level is a little less than the middle of the road for me. It produces a nice amount of smoke as well. All in all, a recommended blend.

This being advertised as an old-style English, I had to get a tin, of course.

Said tin contains a ribbon cut remeniscent of Dunhill's traditional blends, more dark than bright, with lots of medium browns in there. The tin scent leads me to believe that beside the advertised VA and Latakia, there is also a little Kentucky in there, with maybe a touch of Perique or Black Cavendish. Nice, spicy, the VA a little grassy.

Stuffing, lighting and maintenance are easy, the flavour starts out with a little sweetness and spicy, as expected, with a touch more spice than just the Latakia should be giving: once again, I think there is some KY included. A little variety, with a few sour-ish notes as the bowl gets along, but not too bad. Some nutty notes pop up now and then during the smoke, too.

The room note is, well, English-style. Good for that though. I have only ashes at the end, no condensation at all. A good, malty, dark ale should go along with this nicely. Overall, a good blend. Not outstanding, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy again when shopping for a classic English.

Pipe Used: Brebbia Junior, Bjarne handcut

Age When Smoked: Fresh from new tin

Purchased From: DanPipe, Lauenburg, Germany

Similar Blends: Dunhill - Early Morning Pipe, Dan Tobacco - Midnight Ride (American History Mixtures).

DenizBeck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DenizBeck (322)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

Got granted a generous sample of this 'backy. I wouldn't have bought this if I had seen it sittin' on the shelf as I prefer my english with some Orientals. What made me curious when the sample arrived was the almot all pitch-black coloring of the tobacco. Looks like 90% black leaf and 10% bright(er) leafs.

Lovely unburnt aroma, that reminds me quite a lot of a Dunhill blend! It has the very same incense-y and "roasted" aroma to it. Hearty smokiness dominates the scent with the roasted, incense-y quality underneath. Just a whiff of sweetness and quite ethereal in character. Not only the (lovely) scent reminds of Dunhill blends, but also the perfect and even, fine ribbon-cut that's a breeze to pack, light and keep going.

The bowl starts out with a rich aroma of the Latakia. Intense leathery notes, paired with a slightly buttery-creamy and richly woodsy smokiness. The roasted quality from the unburnt scent transposes into the smoke perfectly and catches my attention. Like roasted spices, incense and wood. Just a hint of sweetness, this blend to me is fully dominated by the Latakia, with the Virginias ust aiding the sheer untamed and rich aroma of the Latakia. Nose tingling when on retrohale, but very pleasant it also has a slight "sharp edge" to it, which I find quite pleasing. Smoky, woodsy, roasted, incense-y and ethereal - not an explosion of flavors, but what is there is very smooth and pleasing on the palate.

If you look for a strong English (not in terms of nicotine, but in aroma), that's not overly complex, but very refined in taste, this'll surely do the job for you excellently. I like to compare it to Dunhill's Baby Bottom's Mixture (BB1938), but a bit more intense in flavors and more rich on the Latakia. Definetly 3-stars worthy for me, more of a 4-star tendenc, as this is an excellent english blend, which I'm teased to buy a tin of now! So I'll settle for 3,5-stars!

Pipe Used: Clays, Cobs, Briars

Similar Blends: Dunhill - Baby's Bottom (My Mixture BB1938).

StevieB (1981)

Peterson - 1865 Mixture.

The aroma from the blend is far more caustic than the flavour. Upon sniffing it I'm sure this is going to be quite acrid with Latakia flavour; I'm SO wrong! The Latakia does come through well but it has a taste that's a lot more tranquil in comparison to a lot of Latakia blends. It's more woody than smoky.

Next in line is the Virginia. This doesn't seem as distinguished as it often can be; it isn't as loud with the grassy notes or hay notes but gives the blend a sort of background sweetness and a slight citrus sprightliness. This works well alongside the almost phlegmatic Latakia; it spruces the smoke up a bit!

I don't find there's that much nicotine from this. I'd say, even when it's chugged like crazy, it still only manages to achieve medium!

1865 is a blend that I think would probably appeal to the more veteran of pipers. I find it quite enjoyable albeit it's not the best blend I've had from Peterson.

Three stars.

Pipe Used: Enricoro Big Freehand

Purchased From: GQ Tobaccos

wandyhee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wandyhee (16)

Been smoked this blend for about 10 bow now since I received the package on early January this year (2016), From the first lit all the way to 2/3 of the chamber, this blend are smokey, with bit strong taste to my throat, and slight or small amount tongue bite. next 1/3 and all the way to the bottom of the chamber, it give pleasure & cool smoke.

I've been smoking RRR tobacco regularly, and only smoke this 1865 while waiting to my RRR stock delivered, as it is more pricey than RRR. Anyhow, I will not hesitate to buy it again once this 1st 1865 pack of mine empty, since they selling it in 100g pack.

Pipe Used: Briar pipes

Age When Smoked: about 4 weeks since I open my 1st pack

Purchased From: romeogift.com

Gaius Baltar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gaius Baltar (25)

At the beginning of the much smoky smoke as expected, as Latakia progresses, it appears to be evident in the middle of the smoke and until the end, ending with a weak bitterness. The aroma of the tin is half latakia And virginia. It is not too strong and can be consumed at all times and climate. Reconsiderable, it is like a more affordable version of Old Dublin.

Edit Note: After smoking more times in different pipes, has improved my opinion and raised its score to 4 stars.

Note2: The blend of 60% of Peterson - 1865 Mixture + 40% of Peterson - Founder's Choice looks something like Perfection by Samuel Gawith.

Pipe Used: Stanwell

Purchased From: Tobacco shop, Barcelona.

Ehsan Jafari Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ehsan Jafari (2)
Strong Mild Full Tolerable

This is the third time I've ordered it. I found it so nice. The taste is great the smell is nice but the room note is not pleasant for others. You must be an English style smoker, if you like aromatic I would say do not try it. On the whole it's perfect to me.

Pipe Used: Peterson 80s Around the world series

Purchased From: Abas Askary store in Iran, Kerman, Sirjan

Similar Blends: Samuel Gawith.

Steerpike Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steerpike (141)

This is a very pleasant tobacco, the quality and indeed the presentation (narrow even ribbon cut with low moisture content) is on par with the Dunhill mixtures that I am quite partial to. I wasn't expecting to enjoy it as much as I have, based on the ingredients list (I usually prefer my mixtures to contain some Turkish) but this is most satisfactory!

It comes in a hefty 100g tin, not so good for putting in your pocket, but you won't be running out too soon. The tobacco as I mentioned looks like a Dunhill mixture, low (perfect!) moisture content and very even ribbons. Just a bit of brighter leaf cut mostly dark browns and black. The tin aroma is lovely: smokey, sweet, yeasty, with rye bread and roasted malt. It smells like the blends I enjoy with Turkish, so I wonder if there isn't some of that in here.

It takes a light with ease, and doesn't need much tending to. The flavour is very nice, plenty of latakia smoke, some controlled sweetness, like well toasted sourdough bread. The flavours in this from the Virginia and Latakia are very well integrated: I'm obliged to compare it to Dunhill Baby's Bottom, and Sam Gawith's Commonwealth Mixture, and I think this one has the flavours more integrated, its less easy to pick apart the contributions of each leaf. On the other hand, it doesn't offer much flavour development through the bowl, being fairly static in the flavour. It is probably between these two in strength: at the richer side of medium, or I suppose the milder side of full for an English mixture.

Overall, I think its very satisfactory and it has exceeded my expectations.

Pipe Used: Northern Briars Bulldog, Jambo Meerschaum