The Don Giovanni tobaccos are rich, fuller-bodied blends which use leaf from the Dominican Republic, Nicaragua, Ecuador, Brazil and Indonesia for robust flavor and cigar-like character. Don Giovanni Sigaro is a robust blend of leaf from Indonesia, Ecuador, Brazil and Nicaragua; earthy, sweet and a little spicy.

BrandD & R Tobacco
Packaging40 grams tin, one pound bag
Strength
Taste

3.8

The variety of cigar leaves include the Dominican Republic, Nicaragua, Ecuador, Brazil, and Indonesia. Their characteristics include a little mustiness and leather, a bit of earth, spice and wood, a sour note here and there, a drop or two of cocoa and coffee, and a fair amount of floral sweetness. The grassy, citrusy Virginia is just evident enough to occasionally notice. The strength is a tad past medium and the taste is almost in the center of medium to full. The nic-hit is a hair past the center of mild to medium. Won’t bite or get harsh. Burns cool, clean and a little fast if not hydrated as this ribbon cut tobacco is dry. Has a consistent woody, smoky, creamy sweet, rich cigar flavor that translates into a mildly lingering after taste. Needs few relights. Can be an all day smoke for experienced cigar smokers, and repeatable for those who aren’t. It has a fuller, deeper, richness as compared to the Sigaretta offering.

-JimInks

cajomu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cajomu (76)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

I purchased a pound of D&R DGS on sale at P&C for $24. What a bargain it proved to be.

Appearance wise, it looks like cigarette tobacco and is not especially fragrant, with just a hint of cigar leaf aroma. It is cut to a fine ribbon and is a mixture of mostly dark brown tobacco (probably the cigar leaf) and some golden tobacco (probably the Virginias). Since it was very dry, I added about a quarter cup of distilled water to the one pound bag and let it re-humidify for about ten days. I packed most of it away in jars to age and put a couple of ounces in a small jar to sample.

Tonight, I loaded a large, deep Stanwell briar with the DGS, packing it fairly tightly since, even after humidification, it is very "fluffy." It lit easily and burned well, requiring only one relight during a twenty minute smoke. It burned fairly fast to a gray ash, leaving no moisture in the bowl. DGS is a fairly strong tobacco, nicotine wise.

For the first third of the smoke, the flavor of the cigar leaf predominated, along with a spiciness that reminded me of perique (although the description says it contains only cigar leaf and Virginia tobacco). The flavor was that of a medium strength Dominican cigar, like a Macanudo. About half way through, the cigar flavor faded and the Virginias came to the fore, very rich tasting and fairly sweet, reminding me of McClelland 5100 Red Cake. Towards the end of the bowl, the sweetness transitioned to a plum-like flavor, again reminding me of perique but without the spiciness.

All in all, it was a most enjoyable smoke, with a lot of flavor and enough complexity to maintain one's interest. I'm very glad I purchased it and can't wait to see how good it is after six months or a year of aging. For the price, this is a great pipe tobacco. Heck, it would be a great tobacco if it cost three times as much. If you're a pipe smoker who also enjoys a good cigar occasionally, I promise you will like this.

Pipe Used: Large Stanwell briar

Age When Smoked: Recently purchased.

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

The tobacco is a shag cut, and it is a mix of browns and tans. The pouch note is earthy and sightly sweet. It comes very dry, and I have been smoking it without hydration - packed pretty firmly. Eventually I may try hydrating it a little. I will report back if that is a good or bad experience.

Smoked this is quite good.There is a fairly full earthy flavor with a slightly sour edge and some sweet. There are mild cigar notes on the snork, and no toppings that I can discern. The dry shag burns quickly, and it is a short smoke, but it did not burn hot for me. It was a very satisfying tobacco-flavored smoke. I think this should be more popular than it is.

This is a solid 3 on the scale for me. I may buy it by the pound when I am done with the 100 g tub and bump it to a 3.5.

Effluvinator Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Effluvinator (58)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

This is the most cigar-like taste I've had in a pipe. Its fairly strong in taste and in nicotine and probably not something I would smoke more than once daily. The cigar leaf varieties are delicious. I detect no added flavoring. It doesn't bite me even if not hydrated. The room note will probably not endear you to others as it's basically cigar smoke (which I personally love, but most non-smokers and some smokers may not).

So far I think this is my favorite of the four D & R blends that I've tried. A tobacco this good at less than $25 per pound. Thanks Tobaccoreviews and all prior reviewers for informing me of this great baccy!

Pipe Used: The Pipe, various briars