Samuel Gawith Best Brown Flake

(3.40)
A firm favourite for the pipe smoker looking for a medium strength, gentle and slow burning tobacco. Manufactured using hand-stripped flue cured Virginias with no flavours added, Best Brown will reward with a cool, sweet smoke with a delectable aroma and good sidestream. Mild to medium.

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

3.40 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 201 - 210 of 293 Reviews
Jun 05, 2003 Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable
I'm smoking Best Brown Flake in a Cavicchi freehand. These beautifully prepared flakes are mostly light in color with some dark streaks and bird's eyes. Mine is a little on the dry side; just the way I prefer a VA flake. My sample was purchased in the bulk form. It rubbed out easy and lit with two matches. I filled the large pipe about 3/4 full.

Initially, the flavor is earthy and slightly sweet. I'm tasting most of the sweetness on the tip and middle of my tongue. I'm not tasting any of the floral/soapy taste I get from some other Lake District blends, possibly due to the dry nature of my sample. It's not as sweet as a McClelland mature VA, but it doesn't bite like a McClelland blend either. Don't get me wrong, I love McClelland Virginias, but you have to be careful. The flavor is all Virginia; I'm not tasting any burley or perique.

After a tamp or two, I'm about half-way through the bowl. The flavor has settled into a delicious, mild to medium smoke. There is a pretty good nicotine content too; it's very satisfying. Clearly, this is a high quality flake tobacco. I would not describe Best Brown Flake as complex, but it's still delicious and satisfying.

Towards the end of the bowl, I'm getting a nice nicotine kick and the wonderful flavor remains.

I would rate Best Brown Flake as my favorite Samual Gawith blend that I've tried; I like it better than Full Virginia Flake. This is a great tobacco and I plan to buy more and smoke it often. I strongly recommend Best Brown Flake to Virginia flake smokers; it has a great flavor, it doesn't bite, and it has a great nicotine punch.
Feb 04, 2003 Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable
I had varied results with this blend and perhaps just don't have the patience and temperment to get everything perfect in order to obtain an enjoyable smoke. My purchase was a tin that contained a tightly pressed, rectangular block of nicely prepared brownish flake with some golden intermixed. However, when separated, they formed some narrow ribbons that made uniform packing difficult or clogged the air hole. Pipe bowl size also seemed to influence the smoke more than other VA flakes with larger bowls bringing a better overall result. Even @ best, the taste lacked the sweetness and intensity that I prefer and tasted rather dull and uninteresting. Although the aftertaste was not objectionable, the blend left my mouth noticeably dry after each smoke. This is a cool smoke without a hint of bite but it's not the 'best' VA flake of any color by far.
Sep 14, 2002 Mild to Medium Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant
An odd one is this. The tobacco comes in 6" flake strips which I found easy to rub out, but I couldn't help but notice how quickly it dried out when in the open as compared to other flakes.

Once the bowl is packed it took a few charring lights to get it going, once lit it burns quite cool if puffed carefully. The flavouring is odd, I can only describe it as natural. The predominant flavours are earthy, perhaps with some nuttyness. There was a a distinct lack of sweetness for most of the bowl, only some slight sweetness was detected near the end.

Strength wise it is quite mild. There was no tongue bite and the nicotine content appeared to be quite low too.

So to sum up I can only describe this tobacco as neutral in flavour and strength. Pleasant but gets a bit dull after a while.
Apr 12, 2002 Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong
This tobacco comes in 1x6 inch strip form. I ordered a quantity from Synjeco (very nice people), and it came in a rectangular block, and I broke off a 1x1x6 inch piece to keep in a plastic bag for easier access. Medium brown in color, and not too much scent - maybe a whiff of the lakeland "soap", but by no means overwhelming. The pieces break off in long stringy sections, and I usually use scissors to cut those to fit the bowl I'm using. This tobacco does not dry out quickly, and does not require much care to keep fresh. Once lit (I generally use a billiard shape) it stays lit well. The flavor is hard to describe because it is not unusual or at the odd edges of the taste spectrum. It tastes like tobacco without flavoring. Definitely quality tobacco used to make this stuff. I've not tried 1792, so can't comment on comparison, but this is a medium to strong tobac. Does not DGT well. I'll sometimes mix it with some of the sweeter/sharper McClelland's virginia flakes (blackwoods, St. James' Woods) for an interesting blend. Alone it seems almost nondescript except for a very nice tobacco flavor. I had to smoke a few ounces before I realized that this, for me, is just a simple, well made and nicely flavored tobacco that I will smoke regularly. Not all day, but at least once a day. Decent nicotine hit, but nothing like brown bogie. I'd recommend you smoke at least 8-10 bowls of this before passing judgment. By then you, too, may be calling Synjeco. Highly recommended. 9 of 10. - Kelly
Mar 26, 2001 Extremely Strong Extremely Mild Very Full Strong
Best Brown Flake is almost exactly like Full Virginia Flake. Best Brown has a couple different components that add an almost chocolate flavour to the tobacco. This tobacco rubs out very easily from the thin flakes they are cut into. IMO, Best Brown has a bigger nicotine kick than the Full Virginia Flake. This is a great natural English style flake tobacco that will burn down to a nice grey ash. Don't miss out on trying this one.
Mar 07, 2024 Medium None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
Just like the label says, medium strenght virginia flake , cool burning and sweet with enough body to satisfy. An all day straight Virgínia smoke

AP
May 29, 2022 Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Pleasant
Just a really nice VA tobacco. It took me a couple of bowls to master smoking this for (imo) optimal taste and burn rate. But the patience pays off in a generous manner. I rub it out, let dry for 15 mins, pack loosely. Then I light once, tamp it and then light once more (thoroughly). After that I can smoke for 45 mins without relighting.

I have now smoked 6 or 7 tins of BB and I think the fact that this is the tobacco that I keep running out of says it all.

SIDENOTE: Every now and then I mix this 50/50 with some SG Brown #4 (Dark fired KY) if I feel that I need a little more kick. The blend makes for a really pleasant smoke. Sweetness with some girth to it!
Pipe Used: Parker Super Russet
Age When Smoked: Fresh to 6 months
Apr 27, 2019 Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable
My initial impression in aroma was similar to SG Full Virginia Flake... a slight essence of nothing more than that of VA tobacco. A little bite at first along with a little harshness was noted and I used the DGT method on this one which tamed it down considerably but never seemed to totally resolve that issue. It is a long burning smoke & I didn't notice the Lakeland taste in this one. It can be an all day smoke if that is one's preference. Personally, I prefer something a little stronger but that's just me. As most are aware Virginias are always best served up in a deeper bowl as the taste improves & becomes sweeter & smoother after the lower portion becomes treated by the continued smoke flow.

It provides a little flavor if the puffing cadence is controlled with patience. This review is based on a single bowlful in a Vintage Peterson System pipe with enough depth for a good trial run for a VA tobacco. Whether this is one single type of VA or that of a blended VA, I couldn't say but from the looks of it, there are minimal lighter strands mixed in with mostly a dark brown VA. I'm at the halfway point now & noticing more strength & with minimal harshness or bite & becoming a little more to my strength preference.

I don't notice any flavoring of any type... only that of a pure Virginia tobacco. My sample required picking, tamping & relighting throughout the smoke session & my pipe had to be left unsmoked during several cool-down intervals which served two purposes... less bite & a cooler smoke. Now I have time to prepare a strong cup of Irish Breakfast Tea before resuming. As stated earlier, this is a slow burning tobacco and one deeper bowlful lasts for at least forty-five minutes to an hour & strangely enough, doesn't leave a very strong tobacco odor in the room. That tells me there's very little Vitamin N in the mix.

Unfortunately, I like so many other types/blends of tobaccos & will be setting this one aside and doubtful I'll ever revisit it. It was a gift from a friend & thought I'd give it a go. However, I love Samuel Gawith's FVF, especially after a few years of age... one of my all time favorites but there's nothing better on the planet than C & D's Small Batch, Carolina Red Flake which is the best tasting & strongest VA I've ever smoked. I found BBF to be lacking in strength with little flavor. However, we're all of differing DNA with varying taste receptors & I just couldn't get past the harsh, biting nature of this Best Brown Flake. I'm glad many find this exceptional but it will not remain in my rotation.

Pipe Used: Vintage, Sterling Peterson System #312
PurchasedFrom: A "gift" from a friend.
Age When Smoked: New Bonus Pouch From Another Purchase
Sep 18, 2014 Medium None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
221 reviews and counting, what more can be said? If someone offers me a bowl of Best Brown Flake, I will gladly accept. If I offer someone a bowl, they gladly accept. An open tin makes smokers smile. That's all I can ask for.
Age When Smoked: less than 1 year
Oct 16, 2013 Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
Almost as good as FVF easyer to keep lit great flake

target="_blank"