Samuel Gawith Best Brown Flake

(3.40)
A firm favourite for the pipe smoker looking for a medium strength, gentle and slow burning tobacco. Manufactured using hand-stripped flue cured Virginias with no flavours added, Best Brown will reward with a cool, sweet smoke with a delectable aroma and good sidestream. Mild to medium.

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

3.40 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 181 - 190 of 293 Reviews
Mar 03, 2006 Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
this is my first S.G. blend tested, and I am quite pleased! It is also the first blend I have tried that was all african blend. I like mild virginia blends,but don't like the pouch aroma of most of them,especially the McClelland ketchup drieing on a park table smell.this has none, or little of that. It smokes well even when very dry, not too sweet, not too tart when smoked correctly. If you like Virginias and want to try somthig a little different you may like this blend,I did.
Dec 23, 2005 Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
This all day smoke is pleasant and easily lit with very little trouble burning it to the bottom of the bowl. For me, the sweetness continues to build throughout the pipeful. The aroma from the tin or bag is warm and comforting. My only reservation is that often, too much trash must be seperated from the leaf prior to smoking. The quality of the smoke is in direct proportion to the amount of time devoted to it - slow indulgence is rewarded with tasty pleasures to be had. The tin posts notice of being cool, sweeet and mild. So it is. There are enduring qualities here, not extraordinary but worthwhile nonetheless. This blend is worth your time.

Meerschaum Man Smoking an Altinok Smooth Canadian
Nov 01, 2005 Medium None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
I like this flake, though not as much as FVF. Thin pliable strips of medium brown, nearly uniform color. Perfect lighting and burning characteristics. A pleasant taste of sweet and earthy without any bite. An all day smoke that was perfect throughout the entire tin. No complaints.
Oct 14, 2005 Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant
A truly nutty smoke, with no bite, but a limited range of flavours. It certainly gets sweeter towards the end of the bowl, especially if you puff slowly. I really like it, but would find it boring to smoke all the time. If what you want is honest nutty taste this is an excellent choice. Well worth keeping around. Lovely flakes - easy to rub, or fold without breaking, and easy to light and keep alight.
Oct 10, 2005 Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong
Excellent cool burning tobacco, very satifsfying. I have been exploring non-aromatics with an apparent affinity for the natural types of leaf- this blend is another to add to my choice list. Lovely virginia flavour with a delicate sweetness (maybe added?), including a bit of tang from the chosen leaf. I don't know if this is a particular characeteristic of Zimbabwe leaf, but I like it. As I find with other virginias, I have to hit the zone to get the goodness. The start of a bowl is merely the primer to the real smoke a third of the way in. I don't rub these flakes out. Just fold and lightly pack stuff the bowl, with a top layer of a few crumbs for a good light.
Sep 14, 2005 Medium None Detected Full Pleasant
I am a great fan of African VA's, especially in pure form and in flakes.

This one is a little less smooth than Full Virginia Flake, also from Gawith, but this is not necessarily a bad thing. BBF leans towards a more "tobaccoish" flavour, and is therefore a good autumn/winter smoke for me.

After Kohlhase & Kopps' more or less failed attempt to (re-)make the good old flakes from Rattray's, Astley's etc., These flake from Gawith stay true to traditional English flakes (because that is exactly what they are).

No humectants, deep and complex, as only clean and pure VA can be, plus careful stoving makes this the closest thing to Mana from Heaven.

HURRA for Gawith! My highest recommendations!

Jakob Kiilerich, Denmark
Jun 12, 2005 Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant
This is one of those select few tobaccos that when you first try it you find yourself saying "so what's so special?". Its days later when you've finished the tin while all your other open tins of tobacco were completely ignored that it dawns on you. This is just the go-to tobacco you've been looking for. At least for me it is. And, darned if I can explain it other than saying in every way the tobacco is mildly medium with an extremely normal flavor that just makes you so darn comfortable that you'll reach for it every time. Oh sure, there are nuances to the flavor that you'll notice after you've smoked it for a long while and I don't seek to diminish these flavors - they're all wonderful to be sure and just add one more dimension to this wonderful weed. Lakeland perfection in an extremely gentlemanly manner. Go get some, you won't regret it.
Jun 03, 2005 Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable
The first few bowls of this flake were straight from the tin just lightly rubbed out. Not a great experience. My next encounter involved an overnight drying of enough flake for a morning smoke. The flake was quite dry without getting brittle and was a very fine and tasty Virginia smoke. I wish there were more tobacco in the tin. Follow Paddys' advise and dry this out before lighting.
Jun 02, 2005 Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable
5/23/2005

BBF sure looks nice in the tin but to concur with some others here I found it extremely bland and lacking in both body and fullness. I wasn?t sure I was smoking anything. In short, it just lacks OOOMPH. There are much better flakes out there to keep you interested.

A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

I rate this tobacco 5.0 out of 10.

Update 6/2/2005

Perhaps the stars and planets and stars were not in perfect alignment and perhaps all was not right with the world when I had my first bowls of BBF. I had a change of heart on this blend. It is a good but not great smoke on the mild side. I think my early negative impressions of this tobacco were because I had smoked stronger blends earlier in the day. This made it difficult to find the flavor in this lighter blend later in the day. Let this be your first smoke in the AM for a fair appraisal and to appreciate it.
May 22, 2005 Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
I've thoroughly enjoyed the other SGs I smoked (Chocolate Flake, Squadron Leader, FVF), but this one just doesn't come up to their level. I've tried it in a variety of pipes, but each time I wish I'd grabbed another of his blends.

Quality leaf from a quality blender, but give me FVF instead. This one is just too bland.

target="_blank"