Samuel Gawith Best Brown Flake

(3.39)
A firm favourite for the pipe smoker looking for a medium strength, gentle and slow burning tobacco. Manufactured using hand-stripped flue cured Virginias with no flavours added, Best Brown will reward with a cool, sweet smoke with a delectable aroma and good sidestream. Mild to medium.

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

3.39 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 171 - 180 of 292 Reviews
Jul 29, 2007 Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant
In the tin, it is typical Samuel Gawith; leathery and moist. The aroma is faintly oatey and haylike. The flake, again typical of Sam G., is hard to break up, and not extremely easy to light. But once lit, it stays lit very well.

I gotta say, I was disappointed at first, as the lakeland aroma and flavor I've become accustomed to with Gawith & Hogarth, and some of the Gawith blends, was absent. I have grown fond of this background note, and this flake tasted a little flat without it. But once I had become better acquainted with the tobacco after a few bowls, I was generally pleased with the overall taste and superb quality of the flake.

This is one of those tobaccos that seems better suited to smallish pipes, as of yet unpolluted with any other tobacco flavors. Its effect was mild on the tongue, and mild on the palate. The flavor was oatlike to me, not sharp like some virginias. Truthfully, as good as this tobacco is, I found it lacking in fullness. It is a lightweight, but still good. Just the same, it will doubtful see a regular spot in my rotation.
Jun 28, 2007 Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable
Update 07/09 -- I'm appreciating this a lot more recently. I originally felt it was too light on flavor, but I've learned to slow down and I'm getting a good deal more flavor from it. I prefer it to FVF now. For what it's worth, I believe this may be the base tobacco for both St. James Flake and Kendall Cream Flake as they all share a similar base flavor but have different high notes.

Original review from 6/07 -- Nice light VA with a slightly sweet haylike flavor. My tin rubbed out well, packed well, and burned well. My main complaint is that it is just too light for my tastes. Although I do not think I will buy it again, I do give it three stars, as it is very enjoyable.

Bottom line: Very pleasant, but perhaps a little too well behaved. I would recommend it very highly to a VA smoker who found Full Virginia Flake too strong.
Moe
May 06, 2007 Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable
Whats not to like? Its a nice, mild, well done Gawith virginia. I consider it the "little brother" to Gawith Full Virginia Flake, which I like a tad better. This is good though.
Dec 10, 2006 Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
Best Brown Flake is a definite pleasure to smoke in the early morning after a hearty breakfast along with a cup of tea or coffee.

I found this SG offering a pleasant morning warmer. The tobacco is certainly a beautiful flake to the discerning VA smoker. The aroma of this weed is nice sweet and nutty. Its a good honest tobacco. It rubs out very nicely into a fine pile of rich ribbons. You definitely need to let it rest for a couple of hours before smoking. It burns rich and flavorful if you take it as your first smoke of the day. Don't expect this one to have the same impact if you have smoked fuller blends before smoking BBF. BBF will have a even fuller flavor if you dry out a whole slice and pack it whole. It has a nice bountiful volume of smoke and a decent nicotine hit for an AM smoke.

Its a keeper and will be added to my list of buy again tobaccos. If you enjoy light to medium Virginia's all I can say is give this one the fair chance it deserves.
Dec 07, 2006 Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable
Very tasty! Best Brown smells wonderful in the pouch, I managed to get this in bulk, with a rich tobacco smell. I enjoyed packing in my pipe and prepared to relax. This tobacco does not disappoint, on any level, while it is not the best smoke I have ever had, it is still quite a step up from most.

There was a decent dose of nicotine, but this is no head swirler. You could smoke this anytime. Highly Recommended.
Oct 19, 2006 Medium None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
I am partial to Samuel Gawith products. BBF is a delicate flake which can be temperamental: in the right pipe, at the right burn rate, it is superb. But it is choosy, and if it does not agree with the pipe, the smoking experience can be non-descript.
Oct 18, 2006 Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant
Very tasty pure Virginia! It's a bit sweet, very delicate natural tobacco. It's very easy to smoke. Each second with this tobacco is something very pleasant. It's my favourite natural tobacco.
Oct 08, 2006 Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
Samuel Gawith is getting a lot more of my business, in no small part because of this excellent tobacco. This is a warm, reliable and steadfast tobacco that makes few demands on the smoker. I hadn't smoked a lot of virginias, so I've been on a learning curve with this one. Now I can see what the fuss is about! Wow!

After some considerable experimentation I've found that what works for me is to rub this out, let it dry just a tad and then smoke it in one of my no-name bent billiards that is now dedicated to virginia tobacco. If I take some time to gently light this and do some tamping then I am always rewarded with a wonderfully honest, low key but none-the-less velvetly/nutty smoke. It smokes all the way to the bottom without incident and, if anything, gets better at the end. Now a part of my regular rotation.
Jul 07, 2006 Very Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant
I'll chime in here on a very fine SG tobacco. You get what it says when you buy it: a cool, sweet and mild smoke. I enjoy Virginias; they wend in and out of my English and Balkan rotation. A straight tobacco like this keeps me from becoming bored. I'm not sure what the difference is between Zimbabwean leaf and that grown in the Commonwealth, but what Samuel Gawith offers is as good, if not better, than some of the straight American Virginias I've experienced.

This is a journeyman's flake. There's nothing subtle about it, nothing complex, no tricks. It smokes the same, from top to bottom, bowl to bowl. Some might hesitate at an unvaried taste, but I find it comforting when I choose it. I don't have to pay attention to nuances, figs, prunes, or Macedonian humus when I load BBF. All I have to do is sit and smoke.

I prefer Best Brown a little moister than drier. It makes it easier on me to fold and load the flakes. I top off the bowl with some loose "kindling," light, tamp, then light once more. I've never had a problem with BBF burning hot, biting, or otherwise acting in an unruly fashion. It knows that it's there to be savored, in its simple and unassuming way.

I enjoy BBF most in somewhere around a Dunhill 3. Smaller, and it doesn't have a chance to do its job. Larger, it can't quite handle the center stage. Kept in its own pond, it performs.

This could be an all-day smoke if one's tastes run toward straight leaf. I'm trying to nail down a place where I can get a can of SG's Full Virgina Flake to make a comparison. Until then, I'm content with BBF as a solid "go-to" when I can't decide what I want, or when I know I want a no-frills tobacco.
Mar 03, 2006 Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
this is my first S.G. blend tested, and I am quite pleased! It is also the first blend I have tried that was all african blend. I like mild virginia blends,but don't like the pouch aroma of most of them,especially the McClelland ketchup drieing on a park table smell.this has none, or little of that. It smokes well even when very dry, not too sweet, not too tart when smoked correctly. If you like Virginias and want to try somthig a little different you may like this blend,I did.

target="_blank"