Samuel Gawith Best Brown Flake

(3.39)
A firm favourite for the pipe smoker looking for a medium strength, gentle and slow burning tobacco. Manufactured using hand-stripped flue cured Virginias with no flavours added, Best Brown will reward with a cool, sweet smoke with a delectable aroma and good sidestream. Mild to medium.

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

3.39 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 161 - 170 of 292 Reviews
Jan 02, 2009 Medium Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant
This is a very good smoke,to say the least.I can smoke this any time any time.I simply love the grass like flavor.It is better in the tin than in bulk,but both are very very good.If you like viginias you should love this.BB and 2035 are the only two smokes I can smoke anytime and enjoy.Thats all folks,well I might some red cake in once in a while.
Oct 22, 2008 Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable
I purchased this as a bulk purchase. Don't know how different my experience would be from the tin buyer but I did ejoy my 8 ounces. This tobacco is an enjoyable mild addition to my repertoire. I am in "like" but not in "love". I have to admit though that even when I fall in love with a tobacco it never lasts.

The flake thickness is inconsistent which I know is normal for this brand. I don't mind variation but a few were thicker than I enjoy packing or puffing. When the thickness effects the smoke I am disappointed.

As far as flavor is concerned, it is very mild. Now I smoke them hot so the mild smokes are what I look for. I enjoyed the flavor but it is maybe too mild for me. I would enjoy a flavor commitment.

Unlike most oter reviewers, I didn't have a problem with the moisture content. Stayed lit and I didn't need too many cleaners.

All in all a pretty good experience.
Sep 21, 2008 Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable
All Gawith blends are of the highest quality, and this is no exception. This is, without a doubt, one of the best VA flakes available, and the others that are in the "best of" category are also Gawith blends. Many, if not most, VA flakes smoke hot, but not Best Brown. If you smoke it with a little respect, it will reward you with one of the coolest VA flake experiences possible.

In the tin, this smells mildly sweet. Noticeably absent is that funky catsup smell one so often encounters with VA's. It is not overly moist in the tin, but still requires a little drying out for my taste before smoking.

This packs easily when rubbed out, and burns readily. This is frustration free smoke in that regard. Smoke it slowly, and few relights are needed.

Now for the taste. This tobacco offers a huge amount of sweet, smoky goodness. You will swear that it is cased, it is so sweet and tasty, but it is not. The flavor is rich and smooth, and not monotone at all. This is very unlike almost all other VA flakes out there. You owe it to yourself to try this blend. Beware though. Do not try this first, and then look for other flakes which offer a similar smoking experience. With few exceptions, they do not exist. This is a truly singular flake, and worthy of the "best" moniker.

Update: Others have noted a somewhat flat, monotone smoking experience. I would suggest that this blend really requires your finest smoking pipe to access all that it has to offer. It is very subtle with great depth, like a fine single malt, but you simply are not going to get there if you are not using a pipe with truly fine smoking characteristics. When I smoke this in one of my Ashtons, or a very high grade Il Ceppo that I have, it blows me away. I imagine a good meerschaum would offer the same experience. When I have used a pipe with lesser smoking characteristics, this is still tasty, but the depth of subtle undertones are not there.
May 23, 2008 Medium Mild Medium Pleasant
I have been smoking this off and on now for a bit so I thought that I would have enough to go on to post a review. Here goes:

I bought a tin of this to try and smoked the whole thing and then bought 4 ounces of bulk from smokingpipes just to see if there is a difference between the tinned version and the bulk version. To my rookie tastes I didn't notice a difference.

This blend comes in a large flake form. Both the tinned and bulk version came pretty damp so I rubbed it out as much as I could, let it dry, and then rubbed it out some more and then let it dry some more. I followed this routine just about everytime that I smoked this and I didn't have any issue with tongue bite.

Right off the bat I can tell you that I love this blend. I have found that I like it more in a bent pipe than in a straight pipe. The flavors seem more pronounced to me in a bent. Not sure if there is any validity to this or just my preference. I got a lot of dark virginia tastes and even a hint of chocolate in this blend. Overall I would say that it's a medium strength blend and very, very enjoyable.

On a side note, I can't remember where I read it but I think that I saw that this is pretty much the same as FVF, just the preperation is different.
Apr 19, 2008 Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable
Appearance- thick cut brown flakes in narrow sheets ("beef jerky")

Tin Aroma- smells like dried apricots to me. I am tempted to take a bite

Moisture- rather wet. You may want to pop the tin and let it dry for day.

Smoking experience: I love this stuff. Delicious light Virginia flavors. A hint of black coffee (or chocolate). Mild to medium strength, never makes my head spin. Smokes generally cool to medium. I have never been tongue bitten, even when puffing hard. Mild enough for after breakfast, yet strong enough for after dinner and drinks.

Smoking method- as the flakes are usually rather moist when the tin is first opened, I prefer to rub it out well for the first week. By doing this, it lights easily and stays lit. As the flakes dry, I start to fold and crumble for a good flake experience. This tobacco may not be ideal for a novice flake smoker, as it takes a little experience to learn how to work with it (the flakes are rather thick and moist).

Summary- for me, this is it. My desert island tobacco. The more I smoke it the more I appreciate it (and want more).
Jan 26, 2008 Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable
Nice! Nice! Nice! Not as great as FVF but also a bit stronger: This is good stuff!
Dec 21, 2007 Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant
Very close to Full Virginia Flake but not quite as sweet. Still, this Virginia is well above the average.
Nov 20, 2007 Very Mild Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant
I would concur with most of the comments in the three to four star range here. This is a nice flake, easy on the tongue and palate. It develops a subtle sweetness as it settles into the second third of the smoke. It has the typical "high notes" of Virginia, but is never harsh or hot. A great tobacco.
Oct 16, 2007 Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
I smoked a few tins of this before I moved to Full Virginia Flake, which I like much better. I just recently ordered another tin of BBF and still find it too mild or lacking in flavor. Then again perhaps I should not review pressed Virginias at all since there are so many other tobaccos that offer me more enjoyment. With that said, this is quality leaf from a respected company and enjoyed by thousands worldwide.
Aug 30, 2007 Medium None Detected Medium Pleasant
Only thing I can add to this fine blend, dry it. A friend passed this tip: Pre-heat your oven to 200 degrees F, spread out the flake on a cookie sheet. Gently separate the flake into strands (creating air space) but don't pull it completely apart. Cook it for 60 seconds (experiment to taste). Let cool. It's now ready to pack. The flakes are still leathery, dry, but not brittle.

target="_blank"