Samuel Gawith Best Brown Flake

(3.39)
A firm favourite for the pipe smoker looking for a medium strength, gentle and slow burning tobacco. Manufactured using hand-stripped flue cured Virginias with no flavours added, Best Brown will reward with a cool, sweet smoke with a delectable aroma and good sidestream. Mild to medium.

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

3.39 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 151 - 160 of 292 Reviews
Dec 30, 2009 Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant
This is a nice, mild, gentle Virginia Flake: nothing fancy, with a sweet flavour and an unexceptionable room note. The tin note is ‘warm' and natural, with none of the ‘Lakeland' chemical properties that so many people dislike.

It gets off to a humdrum start (the first few puffs taste like a strong cigarette, I find), but the flavour builds to a pleasant fullness after a few minutes, and you get a slow, cool, civilized smoke: no bite and no bizarre flavours. Enough nicotine, but certainly not too much.

I don't, to be honest, notice all that much difference between BBF and SG's Medium Virginia Flake (aka Golden Glow), though BBF is possibly a bit milder: a tad too mild for some palates, perhaps. Like flakes in general (IMO), it's better folded than rubbed out. When you first open the tin (you can also buy it loose, I believe) it's a good deal too moist. This is a problem endemic to SG's tinned tobaccos, and BBF, like so many of its companions, is best dried a bit before you light it.

Apart from the minor drawback of excessive moisture, BBF is an excellent smoke for those who like VA flakes. A good all-day smoke, and a good tobacco to relax with; though I can imagine that some people will find it boring after a while, and want to turn aside to something a bit meatier.
Dec 09, 2009 Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
Best Brown Flake is one of my favorite tobaccos. It's a medium brown Virginia that's naturally sweet, nutty, and smooth. BBF doesn't bite, requires few relights, and provides a nice volume of smoke. Highly recommended.
Dec 08, 2009 Medium None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
This is docile for a VA flake, not at all harsh on me billy goat. I like to rub it into a ball, poke it in there, and top it off with the crumbs. Steamy and grassy at first, but sweet like toasted bread by mid-bowl. Smooth and creamy. No bite and never bitter. Burns like a champ. Adequate strength. Not as bold as FVF, but not as astringent. I like both, but this I can enjoy as often as I please.
Aug 22, 2009 Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant
Well...this is the one Sam Gawith tobacco I have problems with. I don't doubt any of the positive comments made by others and my problems with this variety may be entirely due to the 500g box I have been struggling through, but every time I smoke this I get a sore roof of my mouth, EVERY time.

The quality of the flakes is very uneven and there's lots of light striations to them as if there's a lot of sliced stalks in it...that's why I queried whether is a QC issue. Apart from this blend and an absolutely disgusting tin of FVF I had to throw away, I totally admire all their other blends. Other tins of FVF have been fine so I surmise that their QC leaves something to be desired sometimes. On the other hand it may be that the chemistry in my mouth just reacts badly to this particular blend. I have got a feeling someone else reported the same reaction as me so that may be it.
Jun 10, 2009 Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable
This is the most neutral tobacco I've tried so far, and I mean neutral in a very good way, as in pure tobacco taste. I don´t find it as sweet as other virginias, but yet fully pleasing. It´s not as strong as FVF, for example, but is also smoother on the throat. Easy all day smoke and now my favorite VA.
Jun 10, 2009 Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable
when it comes to flakes, this is a must try! Especially if one enjoys the Rattray line, this is a perfect intruder in this well positioned top segment of good tobacco. Out of the tin or with some little airing in the pipethe flakes are perfectly done for loading the pipe. After some relights at the start - flake smokers don´t bother- the weed produces a good amount of smoke and taste, which is quite strong but very delightful. I love to smoke it in large but also a bit narrow upright bowls. An old one is now reserved for BBF. This means I will buy it more frequently. BBF might be a bit smoother than Rattray Marlin Flake which is my reference in this segment(non flavoured). Unless this mixture is quite pleasing and burns easy down the bowl without noticeable problems, I detect a bit more sweetness and overall satisfaction in MF, on the verge but in the end - only three points. For all who are cute - try Brown Flake#2- although a lakeland kind of tobacco imo it is the real carrier of the torch when it comes to brown flake tobaccos.
Mar 29, 2009 Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
If FVF is to much for you then you might enjoy BBF. It's just a milder version. If I had to choose between the two, it would be FVF without question. That's not to take anything away from BBF, I just prefer a more robust virginia taste.
Feb 05, 2009 Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
I left something as 5/6 flakes in the tin, just to see how they improve over the months. First, I have noticed how much the tobacco colour has brightened ... and the tin aroma has developped a tone similar to green tea, which I seem not having noticed before. The smoke volume has also improved, and the body as well. Very much more pleasant a satisfactory, indeed. One more star.

ORIGINAL REVIEW FEB05/2009:

Trip to Kendal # 4.

A couple of months ago the list of the imported SG's tobaccos has been increased to the double. Just before X-mas, I have grabbed some of the new ones, namely: BBF, Sam's Flake, 1792 Flake and Chocolate Flake.

Having tasted all of them, I start reviewing BBF, even if a hundred an more reviews should be enough...

I'm frankly not able to add anything truly new, and just say mine.

Yes, BBF is the younger brother of FVF (the first SG I bought - along with BR#4 and BF at the time they started coming in Italy - which I will review soon or late) made in the ancient way of flakes having different thickness and uneven structure, some appearing like "bricks".

Mandatory instructions: needs very careful preparation, and NEEDS rubbing-out.

A natural, mono-dimensional but solid virginia; it does not deliver a great volume of sweet-grassy smoke, a bit on the mild side for me; good enough as the first bowl in the morning if You are willing to dedicate some attention.

And the main con... it's really too expensive for us Italians.
Feb 04, 2009 Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
If one is into VAs, this is good but it really isn't for me on a regular basis. If smoking a VA, I prefer something Solani 633 pressed with Perique or something like McClelland Christmas. This is mono-dimensial....however, a no nonense smoke with no casing, bells or whistles...pure VA tobacco. I do like the press which was really firm and offered a nice cool smoke even when thoughly rubbed-out. As a result of the cool smoke, would be a good tobacco to break in a new pipe...sort of neutral taste and cool burning. I would smoke it again but wouldn't rush out to get a tin although it may change as I change and I smoke through this tin.
Feb 01, 2009 Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable
I think that Best Brown is a very pleasant flake, with natural smell. Good burn quality, cool, medium /medium-to-full strenght. The flavor is like brown-sugar, natural, delicious, semi-sweet. It explanes a sensation of agreeable purity

target="_blank"