Samuel Gawith Best Brown Flake

(3.39)
A firm favourite for the pipe smoker looking for a medium strength, gentle and slow burning tobacco. Manufactured using hand-stripped flue cured Virginias with no flavours added, Best Brown will reward with a cool, sweet smoke with a delectable aroma and good sidestream. Mild to medium.

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

3.39 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 131 - 140 of 292 Reviews
ap
Jul 13, 2012 Medium None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
Excellent flake!! Cool burning with medium strenght this Va tastes very good and does not bite. A sweet and smooth classic !
Jun 18, 2012 Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable
50g rectangle tin.

Tin aroma:Sour citrus/sour plum,stewed fruits-very juicy, fruity, fruit salad-sour apples.

Contents:Golden brown tigers eye streaky gold,ginger & brown rough cut stringy uneven flakes.(i don't really care about presentation as long as its good baccy)looks like loose sold but in a tin.

Quite moist to touch,i have to admit i was expecting a darker or "un-chocolate" flake to be honest-like their chocolate flake offering.

This is quite wine-like,fruity wine,and reminds me at this point of a flake equivalent to Dunhill Royal Yacht's ready rubbed.

Considering its moisture it takes light ok(i rubbed it out into a semi stringy flakey ball and just loaded,feels like grass).

First off i get a bright citrusy virginia,followed by a darker burn't orange(alegorically speaking),more mature virginias, or darker maybe redder virginia.It has slight tang but definately no bite.

Winey and slightly sour (definately no bitterness)but not so multi fruity in the mouth at this point.In my mind this baccy has been re-christened "golden flake",it tastes more gold than brown in my mind.

Smoking this in an old vintage 'Park-Drive' aluminium stem system pipe with moisture trap ala Falcon style:This pipe has a very slim @ 2.0-2.5mm draught diameter smoke tube which concentrates the taste nicely for the virginias in this juicy sweet and lemony sour virginia flake.There maybe some small burly in here but i am mainly getting virginias.

Tasting a cross between a number of already familiar smokes in my current possetion;Dunhill light flake,Dunhill Royal Yacht,Gold Block(when smoked in the ronson 3 way),Capstan Ready Rubbed,Peterson 3ps.

I like it already;think of it as a Dunhill medium flake but ultimately Samuel Gawith - it has the SG meaty and full pastry butchers pie factor;think of earthy new potatoes;rich but medium,not a dark flake.

I get hints of cloudy bitter lemonade in here,naturally sweet and definately unsweetened - perhaps like a pancake with lemon and no sprinkled sugar.

Bitter lemonade seems to be my best alegorical description to describe the taste and aroma,perhaps sour apple,or lemon grass -lemony apple.

A darker golden brown and more forgiving equivalent to Capstan Ready Rubbed - this is lemon as opposed to lemon peel(but i do like Capstan a lot btw)aromatically closer to peterson 3ps overal;for all the lemon going on in here it doesn't have any soap factor and hasn't once implied lemon squeezy dish water detergent.

Burns cooler than all its competitors i recon - its unique factor is its slight playdoh earthy new potato hint which assures you of its SG identity next to its simular contemporaries.

Probably mid level nicotine which feels like more, probably due to the taste association with other Samuel Gawith heavy hitters,it seems a heavy virginia that punches more than its body weight.

Burns down to a totally burn't fluffy ash,i only have to wipe out the moisture trap about twice in a full medium bowl session.

Very mild lemony room note,leaves no strong amoniac linger.

Definately worth 3 stars at this point.Not as easily available to purchase in the highstreet,but is a lot more cooperative than other simulars. I will definately keep some on hand and buy again because i have a feeling i will get through this tin quicker than a lot of others.

Easily an all day smoke,very easy.Complimetary drink would be iced lemon tea.

UPDATE 04/07/12 I have finally realised what this baccy really tastes like because i just so happened to be drinking while smoking at the same time recently,i can best describe the taste of this as like an old english cider,think of "strongbow" cider. If you like apple cider the chances are that you might appeciate this because the taste is as near as dammit.
Apr 23, 2012 Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Pleasant
Nice! I've got best results fully rubbed and straight out of tin without extra drying time. Because it's too wet out of tin, it needs more relights at the begining but tastes much better than dried or folded versions (at least for me).
Apr 22, 2012 Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable
After Full Virginia Flake, BBF is to my mind the best straight Virginia pipe tobacco available in Britain. More subdued overall than FVF, it is nonetheless rich, creamy and complex, and, being less tightly pressed, is considerably easier to deal with than its aforementioned 'older brother'. All in all, another masterpiece by Samuel Gawith, one which has few suitable rivals on the British market.
Apr 07, 2012 Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Pleasant
Am now into my second tin, and it hits the spot. I tend to like 'em sweet - BBF is pleasantly so, and for me it's a good, satisfying smoke. I find it needs some drying, though - rub, dry, rub etc - before it'll smoke well, and when it does, it's great. Nothing fussy about it, but it delivers. Update, 14.11.22 - I had had a few problems with this tobacco so dropped it from my rotation. As I recall, it was hard to keep lit and had a bite to it. Ten years on, I decided to have another try, because in memory it was, sometimes, a very good smoke. I ordered a loose 10gm pouch from GQ. It seemed drier than the tinned I'd been used to, and slightly darker in colour. Instead of rubbing out, as in the past, I used the cube-cut method, after a half-hour airing. This time, no problems at all. Fabulous smoke! Good to be back! 🙂 Delicious aroma, great taste, after-taste pleasant enough. Best sipped slowly, as with all straight Virginias. (By the way, I can't recommend cube-cutting flakes and plugs highly enough. I haven't tried any ropes or twists yet, but imagine they might also work well with this cut.)
Pipe Used: Falcon small Dublin
PurchasedFrom: GQ Tobaccos
Age When Smoked: Not sure, seems quite fresh
Apr 03, 2012 Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant
I'm not generally a great fan of straight Virginias, preferring something else such as Cavendish, Latakia or whatever added to give it a bit more va-va-voom. This, however, has subtle charms which are winning me round. It is slightly sweet, and has an earthy quality I rather like. There's just a hint of dried fruit in there as well, I think. For relaxing with in the evening, I'd want something stronger, such as a Latakia, but this is a good morning or working smoke. It does not seem to me to be excessively moist, contrary to the views of some other reviewers.
Mar 27, 2012 Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable
I was pleasantly surprised by this Samuel Gawith product. I had tried 1792 Flake and Navy Flake From SG previously and was underwhelmed. Frankly, I had started to just write off SG and stick with the G&H tobaccos when I wanted something a little different. Best Brown Flake is the best SG that I have tried. I've had Grousemoor, Squadron Leader, and Westmorland Mixture along with the previously mentioned SG tobaccos and was not terribly impressed with them, but SG's Best Brown is actually quite good.

Best Brown Flake has wonderful undertones, is relatively meaty for a VA, and is wholly satisfying. I have had little trouble keeping it lit, but I usually rub my flakes out quite a bit before smoking and I also don't mind the seemingly extra moistness of the flake. I can leave it out a little while before I smoke it, so it doesn't bother me. The water weight of any tobacco is pretty negligible when you get down to it. (Besides, it's a whole lot better in that arena than, say, a flake of Ennerdale. Though, I do love Ennerdale every so often) Anyway, I prefer G & H's offerings to SG for the most part, but Best Brown is a rare exception.
Dec 03, 2011 Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Tolerable
This stuff smells like sweet uncased natural virginia in the tin. I really wanted to like this one, but all I get is a undimensional hay like taste that really doesn't do much for me.
Nov 17, 2011 Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable
I am most interested in English/Balkan mixtures but Best Brown flake is my very favourite Virginia based flake. It surprised me somewhat, as I was expecting something a bit stronger. The tin smell, upon opening, strengthened that impression.

A strong smell of fermented fruit with a bit of earth and old leather smacked my nostrils at the beginning but the fruitiness of the tin aroma mellowed quickly after opening.

Now the smell of the flakes reminds me a little of the smell of my dad's Bull of the Woods chewing tobacco.

Smoking it slow and cool is essential to the enjoyment of this aged Virginia. With that in mind, I found the taste and side stream smell wonderful, featuring more nuances than some have experienced.

This one will be in my regular rotation for some time, I suspect.
Nov 11, 2011 Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
I've got to say that the aged Virginia's really hit the spot for me. I prefer this over the Samuel Gawith FVF and 1792. My tin was perfect. Didn't need to dry it out, smoked great, and no bite. This is one of my top five favorite Virginians.

target="_blank"