Samuel Gawith Best Brown Flake

(3.40)
A firm favourite for the pipe smoker looking for a medium strength, gentle and slow burning tobacco. Manufactured using hand-stripped flue cured Virginias with no flavours added, Best Brown will reward with a cool, sweet smoke with a delectable aroma and good sidestream. Mild to medium.

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

3.40 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 101 - 110 of 293 Reviews
Oct 26, 2016 Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Pleasant
I'm not a big fan of straight Virginia tobaccos, 'cause I don't like too much the sweetness, although natural. I must say that BBF is really good. The quality of tobacco is very high, its strength is moderate - perfect for an all day smoke - and it produces a pleasant feeling. I found it also excellent using it as the base Virginia for some self made mixtures. Highly recommended for straight Virginia lovers, recommended to the others for a must try. 3,5/5 in my personal rating system.
PurchasedFrom: Hobby Fumo, Milano (Italy)
May 09, 2016 Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
Natural straight Virginia. A little too wet (I usually let a stripe one hour out of his tin, before smoking). Sweet, nutty, with a delicious juniper note (and something like acid tomatos, very intriguing). In a medium bowl, you can find a discrete amount of nicotine (this reason and the fact that this isn't a well-burning tobacco, suggest that it isn't for novices). It gives its best also in briar wood and in cherry wood.
Pipe Used: Many briars, ceramic, olive wood
PurchasedFrom: local tabacconist
Apr 03, 2016 Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable
This was my first experience with Virginia flake,so I think I dumped as many bowls as I smoked trying to figure out how to pack it . For what I did manage to smoke I enjoyed it. The tobacco was smooth with no bite ,a subtle natural sweetness that's part of the tobacco flavor,no lingering after taste. I will definitely get it again one day but for now there's a lot more to explore.
PurchasedFrom: J&R
Age When Smoked: Fresh ?
Sep 06, 2015 Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant
A friend of mine gifted me with a tin of these wonderful tobacco, I was very pleased or it round and rich taste. I think is a all day long tobacco and it matain its tastefulness for a long time.
Apr 26, 2015 Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable
I do not know if my tin was unlucky, but I disagree with most of the previous reviews. In my opinion this is an average straight Virginia, without virtues and vices. Pure Virginia, without any flavoring, no more and no less. In my personal system rating (from 1 to 10) my score is 7 and two stars.
Apr 05, 2015 Medium Mild Medium Pleasant
This is another Samuel & Gawith's all time favourite. The tin note is not quite noticeable, but I was pleased by the unevenness and appearance of the flakes as I opened it. They look like ragged leather or rotten wood strips, but not in a bad way. I've had no problems in rubbing and packing this tobacco into my pipe. The moist content is quite high, so these flakes will benefit from some drying time. The topping or casing is somewhat noticeable, but not soapy. There is something to this tobacco, as in every other S&G blend, that is unique to it. If I were to have a blind date with this tobacco, I am pretty sure I would be able to tell it was one of S&G's blends: they all share this undertone and characteristic. If properly dried, it does not seem to smoke hot in your bowl and it burns quite evenly leaving a fine white ash behind. It has a somewhat plummy or orangy taste to it, but my guess is this is due to the casing or topping and not because of the Virginia tobacco itself. I cannot detect any tongue bite at all, but if you smoke this tobacco straight out of the tin, you might do. As I progressed with my smoke, the taste went from medium to medium/full. It has some nice undertones and nuances, but this tobacco does not quite feel like a straight Virginia. I have thoroughly enjoyed my bowl, but if I don't give it four stars is due to the topping and because of the lack of noticeable Virginia properties. It is only in the last quarter of your bowl that these properties will start to show up, but the nuttiness dimension is still missing.
Pipe Used: Meerschaum
PurchasedFrom: tobacconist in Spain
Age When Smoked: ?
ATW
Mar 24, 2015 Medium None Detected Medium Pleasant
Re-review 6/13/2019

My first tin of Best Brown Flake was in march of 2015 that I purchased at Uptowns in Nashville. I highly recommend to visit them if you're ever in Nashville. Opening the tin the fold up paper was stained with the moisture and oils from the flakes. The flakes were large uniform cut that were a dark brown with a good amount of sugar crystal deposits. The aroma was just a deep dark sweet Virginia almost akin to a straight red Virginia.

With the fold and stuff or rubbed out method, these flakes burn very cool clean and dry. The flavors were a deep red Virginia with a good amount of sweetness, slight creaminess and a nice dosage of nicotine. Very similar to McClellands Virginias but more matured and smooth.

Today I was able to obtain 2 tins of the latest production today. One of the tins had been damaged at one point so it is the one I chose to open. Luckily it still had a good vacuum. Looking at the tobacco, I'm dazed and confused. What in hell is with the broken Flake??? The aroma is a sweet, bright Virginia. I don't pick up on the red Virginia darkness like before. It's at a perfect moisture level and the broken flakes load up with no issue. From first light to all the way down the bowl, the flavors are the same as the tin aroma. I can tell it needs aging due to the young taste from time to time but it's burns well all the way down with no harshness. I don't get the nicotine as I have before. Burns cool and clean with no moisture and no tongue bite.

I understand things change from time to time. Crops change every year so it's no big deal. Age plays a big part in it too. My first tin could have been 2 years old or more before I purchased it, who knows. But I'm confused on why the broken flake cut now?

Both tins are great on their own merits. I find the lastest tin to be more in line with Sutliff Virginia Slices. I reviewed Virginia Slices months ago stated how it somewhat resembles BBF but it more resembles the latest production then my first tin.

This doesn't change my rating. I highly recommend this blend. But if the flavors are almost neck and neck to SVS then I would probably save my money on the BBF due to availability issues of Samuel Gawith.
Feb 18, 2015 Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable
I'm on a Virginia kick, so I was excited to try this one, based on the reviews. It is not a bad a, but it does lack a richness I've come to enjoy in some Va and Va blends.

I've also learned to not give up on a Va too soon as the cay grow on me after a tin or two.

Not my favorite Va to date, but a decent smoke I'm certain to enjoy more of.
Pipe Used: Parker Zulu
PurchasedFrom: P & C
Feb 07, 2015 Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable
I bought this as a expansion of my exploration of straight VAs. I used my new savinelli I bought to be my VA pipe after I tried the dunhill flake.

It's pretty nice looking in the tin, darker brown than the dunhill. It has a slightly fuller flavor than I would have expected. It's taken some drying to get it to behave the way I wanted it to. It burns well dried out, almost no dottle. Unfortunately, I'm still getting a sour lemon flavor off the VA tobaccos. I get hints of something darker, fuller but I don't know what.

I have enjoyed this tobacco, and have smoked almost the whole tin at this point. I don't think I'll buy more, I'm probably going to try something different next tin I buy.
Pipe Used: Savinelli one straight billiard #106
PurchasedFrom: Smokingpipes
Dec 21, 2014 Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable
Just a wonderful (but not aromatic) tobacco.

When I open a tin of it I put its contents into a jar, then I break the tobacco into pieces which can be put into my pipes without further thinking.

Then I put some of it in a dedicated pipe, when I take a little rest. A wonderful tobacco, indeed!
Pipe Used: Peterson "Mark Twain"

target="_blank"