Pipe Tobacco Hall of Fame
The Pipe Tobacco Hall of Fame was designed by the users and editors of Tobacco Reviews to recognize those tobacco blends, old and new, that have
had a major impact on the hobby of pipe smoking, and on the pipe and tobacco industry. These pipe tobacco blends are those that have withstood the
test of time and changing tastes, become benchmarks by which all other tobacco blends are measured, or otherwise enriched or revolutionized the
hobby of pipe smoking.
- In order to determine what the impact of the tobacco will be on pipe smoking in general, a blend must be on the market for at least five years before it is eligible for the Hall of Fame.
- The tobacco needs to, at some point in its commercial availability, be widely available throughout the pipe smoking world. In anticipation of the wrangling over what this means, it is defined, at minimum, as widespread commercial availability on two (or more) continents.
- The product must be marketed solely or primarily as a pipe tobacco.
- Nominations are accepted year round. However the cut off date for any year is the last day of August of that year. All nominations received by that date will be considered for that years inductions only. All nominations received after that year will be considered the following year.
- As soon as possible after the first of September (depending on the number of nominations received) the selection committee (right now just me) will process every valid nomination, and remove all nominations that do not meet the minimum criteria above.
- If the number of nominees is excessively high, the selection committee will shorten the list to no more than 12 by counting the number of distinct nominations from different individuals and selecting the twelve blends with the most nominations.
- Once that has been done, a list of all possible nominees for that year will be posted online for balloting. Balloting will be secret and no running tallies will be given until the end of the balloting period.
- The balloting will last for 21 days to allow for maximum participation. The balloting will be featured prominently on the front page of Tobacco Reviews.
- Once the balloting period is over, and the results examined for fraud, they will be published and the new inductees into the PTHoF announced.
- All tobaccos in the PTHoF will be noted as such on Tobacco Reviews, and the entire membership in the hall will be visible there as well.
Hall of Fame Tobaccos