Driving the mountain tour of the Santa Fe Concorso, with Jaguar C.D. and E Types roaring through Cerrilos, a desert semi-ghost town resembling a set from "Aliens & Cowboys," a small wooden chest was found containing semi-preserved vintage pipe weed. G.L. Pease worked his magic to bring it back to life, producing 150 limited-edition tins for the NASPC's 2015 show.

BrandG. L. Pease
Strength
Taste
King Weed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
King Weed (105)

Most of our NASPC year blends are familiarly English with only a few exceptions; i.e., Wizard's Leaf White as an example. A rare few have caused me to wonder just what type of blends they are; i.e., Long Bottom Leaf. I find Varoom to be in that last category. I have vacillated between saying its an English and saying that it isn't. If we classify Varoom as an English blend, then we must say that it is - barely. The Latakia in this blend (assuming that it is actually there) is just a smattering at best. The base mixture, though totally unknown at this time, is a rather satisfying blend of (here I'm guessing) Virginias, some Burley, some possible Oriental presence and a smattering of Black Cavendish and Latakia. The smoking was pleasant enough but always left me wanting more in taste and aroma. Like so many blends we smoke, the best part of each bowl occurred in the middle third where the constituents all seemed to work together into it's unique harmony. However, the top third was just OK and the bottom third descended into that kind of gray area where blends taper off. I did some micro blending with Varoom that led to a rather positive place. All in all, a three star blend that I can recommend for something "different".

Pipe Used: Jacono four-square billiard (2005 NASPC pipe)

Age When Smoked: two years old

Purchased From: NASPC @ 2015 show

Similar Blends: I'm just not sure. If we take the strong Perique presence from another Pease blend, Haddo's Delight, and add a smattering of Latakia we might arrive at this blend..

Faster than a speeding bullet! More Powerful than a locomotive! It's a bird! It's a plane! No, it's Varoom!

And since I purchased only two tins, I'm afraid this Superhero won't be long lived in my cellar. Virginia, spicy Orientals and Virginia make this one top out at 1,000 miles per hour!