BrandLane Limited
Very Pleasant, Pleasant
2.2
JimInks (2042)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant

The burley is toasty and nutty, and the Virginia cavendish has a little grass, citrus and toast as a supporting player. While sublimated by the toppings, you will notice them to a small extent, and slightly more so in the last third the bowl. The sweet rum and butter are more noticeable than the vanilla, which is a minor player. Has no nic-hit of consequence. Burns at a moderate pace with a fairly consistent taste, though it may get a little harsh near the finish if you puff fast. Won't bite. Leaves a little moisture in the bowl, but it will burn to ash. The after taste is pleasant, but a little boring. The toppings lack depth of flavor which hurts the blend in general.

crapgame1967 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
crapgame1967 (48)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

A favorite of the wife and my son knew what the flavor was right from the jar! This tobacco was a very pleasant and tasty smoke. For me the tobacco was kind of ho hum but the flavor more than made up for the ho hum tobacco. This does not mean that this is a home run aromatic but is a smoke that I am not afraid to light up on my lunch break at work. That being said it is a decent tobacco to have when the smoking police are near and I can woo them with a very pleasant aroma!

Pipe Used: no name english basket

Purchased From: P/C online

Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

In the pouch, Buttered Rum has a pleasant butterscotch scent. It appears to me mainly or all Burley. As American style aromatics go, it is fairly dry to the touch. In the pipe, the sweet flavor comes through although I don’t taste much in the way of rum. This was a sample bag so it is possible that some of it dried off. While a typical sweet aromatic, I was able to taste the Burley leaf coming through offering a bit of nut. I didn’t get any chemical taste and it was ever so slightly harsh if pushed. The problem that I have with this blend is that I just want more flavor! I enjoy lighter cased aromatics but some flavorings present themselves better to me than others (like chocolate). By mid-bowl, I found myself starting to over-puff it a little bit trying to squeeze out sweeter flavor. It’s not bad, but there are simply better bulk aro’s out there. I am not sure if it is still produced, but as a bulk, I would reach for Russ Ouellette’s Butternut Burley over this every time.

Gripsholm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gripsholm (21)
Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

Lane Limited Buttered Rum is a very nice looking golden colored rough cut tobacco with a red hue. The White Burley and Golden Cavendish appear to be high quality. I didn’t experience any tongue bite or pipe gurgle and it all smoked down to a fine ash. Moisture of the tobacco is smoke ready. Pouch note is sweet butterscotch reminiscent of Scotty’s Trout Stream.

The buttered rum flavor is very light and accompanies the natural walnut flavor of the Burley. Both flavors seem to take their turn faintly enlightening the pipe smoker’s sense of taste. The faint buttered rum flavor reminds me of Werther’s Original Hard Candies. This blend is an excellent choice for those who want a little something extra in their Burley.

Pipe Used: Apple shaped large briar

Armeniandude Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Armeniandude (13)
Extremely Mild Very Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

It's a pleasant smoke. I got this as a free sample from another order and I've found myself coming back to this pretty consistently. Usually when I'm smoking this it's because I'm studying for a class. It doesn't take too much focus, stays lit, and is light and pleasant and buttery. I don't get too much rum which is fine for me because I don't the alcohol cased tobaccos too much. Light, pleasant, and mellow.

Pipe Used: cob

HobgoblinTA96 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HobgoblinTA96 (42)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant

What one would expect from a OTC style bulk tobacco. No real tobacco taste and a monotone flavoring of simple rum and vanilla that comes across more as caramel. However, unlike other OTC blends, this one is not heavily cased and only a moderate top dressing. This is all well and good for.me, as I plan to add a 10% blend of latikia to this Nancy. (My version of Sutliff's Trafalgar). Blend it or smoke it this is a decent tobacco for the price.

Pipe Used: Comoy's Zulu & Safari Billiard

Age When Smoked: Used over several months (custom blended)

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

Similar Blends: American OTC Aromatic.

Timbo 556 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Timbo 556 (6)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

I picked this up on a whim since it was a free sample at my local B&M and it was a newer offering from Lane and it was Lane's 1Q that got me interested in smoking a pipe in the first place.The smell in the bag was spot on and it smelled wonderful. This did not transfer well to the flavor when smoking. The cut was nice and the product was light and fluffy in the bag. It was ready to smoke as soon as i got home. I will give Lane credit for not loading this stuff up with a bunch of PG. I tried it in multiple pipes and the only one that it seemed to like was a mini taster corn cob that I had. If you are a burley lover this may be right up your alley. I just couldn't get into it at all. The other reviewer mentioned hot steam which is what I also got from it as well. The room note was excellent but the flavor fell short for me. It was a uneventful smoke which I will admit I didn't expect it to be since it seems like it is a straight burley with some flavor added.

Pipe Used: Various. Clay, Cobber, Briars

Age When Smoked: Fresh sample

Purchased From: Free sample from Dads Cigar in Cleveland , OH

Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Lane Limited - Buttered Rum.

The pouch smells sweet, and candy like. There's both ribbons and coarsely cut pieces in there, where the coarse pieces are short, flat, and fat, rather than long or twiggy. Most of these coarser pieces are a lighter brown/yellow, whereas the ribbons are a steadfast medium brown. Moisture's good.

Like the pouch-note, the smoke has more of a sweetness than alcoholic piquancy. The rum lacks sharpness, instead giving molasses, and sugar. With the creamy attribute from the butter, it tastes a little like butterscotch, maybe. The smoke has a good thickness to it, making it palpable and relaxing. The tobaccos give a bit of a ho-hum flavour, not that they're bad, just quite mundane. Buttered Rum burns well, giving cool smoke, and no bite.

Nicotine: mild. Room-note: very pleasant.

A good blend, but slightly common a taste. Three stars:

Recommended.

Pipe Used: Cob

BROBS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BROBS (32)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This one is OK for me but not as smooth as I had hoped. Has a bit of a cigar flavor to me with light buttered rum flavor. The flavor does come through and it provides a fairly satisfying smoke. Room note probably not so great and not one I would necessarily buy again unless I find myself liking it as a mixer.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meershchaum Diplomat/Country Gentleman

Age When Smoked: direct from bag

CornCob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CornCob (94)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm not surprised to be the first one to review this blend, I imagine anyone else that smoked this new blend from Lane either died of bordem or has quit the hobby altogether now. Normally I like Lane's offerings, as a matter of fact I bought this in hopes it would remind me of Lane's Rum & Maple which I used to enjoy regularly, but this blend falls short even when comparing it to an often viewed mediocre blend like R&M. The online vendor I purchased this from claims this mixture is a blend of burley and VA leaf, the description above only mentions burley (and im pretty sure that's the case). And what a bitter burley it is, it's one of those "smoking hot air" experiences and as soon as you push it a bit to get a glimpse of flavour it begins to rear it's bitter and acrid personality. The leaf appears to be over conditioned as its beyond soft, but not overly moist. Even the lightest pack/tamp will seal the bowl and create a hard draw, leading to more of those bitter bites mentioned earlier. The rum note is definitely noticeable in the pouch, and you get a bit of salted caramel in the background as well, this does not transition into the pipe at all.......just bitter burley. The manufacturer claims this is a fine all-day smoke, the only time I can see that being a possibility is if I was a prisoner (in a low budget lock up) and this was my tobacco ration, at which point I think I'd switch to dried orange peels rolled in bible paper. In these days of online retailers and availability of darn near whatever we want to smoke I cannot see how new blends like these will survive criticism yet old established blends get discontinued, that logic confuses me. This tobacco must have been taste tested by monkeys prior to its release on the market as no human would consider this palatable. My only relief with this blend is that I only purchased 4 ounces and not a pound.

Pipe Used: MM country gentleman, Capri billiard

Age When Smoked: current bulk

Similar Blends: Budget rum cased burley.