Every year Cornell & Diehl produces a Christmas blend inspired by a classic Christmas carol. For 2015, they've hearkened back to those "golden days" with Golden Days of Yore — a festive mix of red and bright Virginias, black Cavendish, dark-fired Kentucky, and Katerini... and more. A unique aromatic mixture, it's all married together with hints of ginger, nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon, and chocolate and topped with a dash of the best dark rum from Santa's secret stash.

Notes: For a short video on the making of the sauce for this blend...

YouTube Video

Blended ByJeremy Reeves
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Burley, Kentucky, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia
FlavoringAlcohol / Liquor, Cinnamon, Cocoa / Chocolate, Ginger, Licorice, Nuts / Beans
Packaging2oz tin and 8oz tin
Strength
Taste
2.1
dixcreek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dixcreek (97)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Well, looks like I get to crack the seal on this one. The tin note on first opening was not overpowering. Kind of put me in mind of Epiphany. Thick ribbions and chunky would describe the cut to me. Not overly moist, good condition to smoke. Tobacco appears to be of good quality, packed and lit well. Burnt well with few relights. Upon smoking the first bowl I should say I was not overwhelmed. The blend was not bad or good just run of the mill. Decided to let this one set for a week before trying again. A week did make a great difference. The tin note did seem stronger and put me in mind of egg nog with rum, to me that is a good think. Loaded up an old Grabow and fired it up. The quality of the tobacco came through this time. Again it burned well, not too strong but had a bit of nic through the last half of the bowl. Good solid Aro for my part. Have smoked numerous bowls with good satisfaction. I will most definitely jar some of this to age a bit. This blend like Yule fruitcake and egg nog will either hit you with love it or hate it. Advice is not to evaluate it too quickly.

Pipe Used: Square shank Grabow Starfire

Age When Smoked: new tin then week old and beyond

Purchased From: Smoking pipes

bent_bulldog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bent_bulldog (4)

I enjoy this one very much, I like that there is enough tobacco flavor mixed with the topping. What really drives me to grab this one over any other aromatic I have is the Oriental leaf, it works so well with the spices in the topping. This was my first holiday blend, lead me to look into more of the C&D aromatics.

Pipe Used: Cob, Savinelli bent brandy

Matsutake Slayer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Matsutake Slayer (7)
Very Mild Mild Mild Unnoticeable

If the post-apocalypse were to ever arrive and I find my cellar running out of all my other tobaccos, maybe then I might actually get around to smoking the rest of this tin... maybe.

More likely though I'd just press and ferment a cake of oak leaves, ferns and cedar shavings topped with a some cardamom-soaked hooch and smoke that -- it'd probably be a better smoke.

You might like this better than I, and perhaps better than me.

Age When Smoked: 1 yr

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (169)

Yuk....this blend was unpleasant from the first puff! The tin had a pleasant enough Christmasy smell when I popped the lid, but it was all downhill from there. I got a very nasty taste from the topping almost instantly, I really wanted to like this blend, as I like a nice aromatic this time of year, but no. The only tobacco flavor I got was from the Oriental component, it completely overpowered the Va. and Burley base to an overwhelming degree. So what I tasted was essentially one variety of Oriental tobacco that was overtopped with a nasty sauce.

Pipe Used: CAO Meerschaum Bulldog

Age When Smoked: 1 year old tin

Purchased From: Local B&M

Liam Tyr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Liam Tyr (17)
Extremely Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

I really wanted to like this, but it didn't do it for me. I love Christmas blends, but this one was not at all like what I was hoping for. The tin note was amazing!!! Smelled like incredible Egg-Nog and Spiced Cider. I was excited until i took the first cold sip from the pipe. Nothing... Hmmm, I charred it and still nothing...... Then I waited until midway through the bowl, and then I got a little bit of vanilla??? But mostly I still got nothing.... I asked the friends around me for a word or two about room note, and they couldn't smell anything at all other than a bland smoke that almost smelled like cigarettes. In truth, I have yet to experiment with a C&D blend that I like. I don't recommend this blend at all, but try it if you want to based on other reviews. Update.... After aging the tin for a bit, it got slightly better, but not much, and definitely not enough to make me buy another tin.

Pipe Used: W.O. Larsen Brandy

Age When Smoked: fresh and 2 months

Purchased From: Mission Pipe, San Jose, Ca, USA. http://www.missionpipe.com

Similar Blends: Air or Hay.

gladi8tor96 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gladi8tor96 (123)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Tis the season....Opening the tin, as another reviewer stated, reminded me exactly of Epiphany. Didn't smell the typical sweet aromatic aroma. The ribbons were perfectly ready to load and light. Stayed lit without too much trouble.

Great Tobacco taste with just the right amount of holiday aromatic sweetness offset by some spice. The room note is great and I had many compliments when smoking it. I enjoyed the hint of cinnamon, cloves and rum. This can bite just a little bit, might be the spices in it, but overall can be puffed or sipped. I really enjoyed this blend and it's my favorite Christmas blend by far. Other blends are usually too highly cased. This is a perfect balance between tobacco and aromatics with a decent kick.

Love it!

Pipe Used: Cob & Billard

Age When Smoked: 6 months aged

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars.com

Appalachian Chef Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Appalachian Chef (52)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Very Mild Unnoticeable

Typically a C&D fan, but this one left me unimpressed. The casing was evident in the tin, rum, vanilla, spices...but not in the smoke. The flavor was mainly just the tobaccos used. Not what I was expecting. I love the Christmas blends, but this one won't come back to my holidays.

Pipe Used: Falcon Billiard

Erman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Erman (9)
Mild Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Well, i usually don't care for aromatics but i was looking for a Christmas mixture and watched the C&D's Youtube video so I decided to give it a try. When i opened the tin the tin note was very light. Thanks to dixcreek's review i poured the tin content into a jar and left the jar in my shelf for two weeks. When i opened the jar the tin note was stronger. I could smell the rum and hints of other sauce components.

The tobacco smells delicious and natural. It burns well and don't overheat easily. I experienced no tongue bite. You can taste sweet-sour taste of Turkish tobacco and tangy Virginias. The burley gives body to the mixture and aromatic casing doesn't overwhelm the tobacco taste, just complements.

I finished the 2oz tin and hoarded an 8 oz one. I am wondering if aging will improve this already delicious aromatic.

Pipe Used: Several briars

Age When Smoked: 1 Month aged in a jar

natibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
natibo (155)

This was not as flavorful as I wanted it to be. I want my holiday blends to be an in your face aromatic and this was not it. The flavor was nice, but just too subtle. Good, not great

pipesNpints Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipesNpints (5)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

The tin note for this blend is full of holiday nostalgia, cinnamon and nutmeg and vanilla give you connotations of cookies and eggnog. The flavor on light and through the bowl is mostly sweetness from the virginias and creaminess from the turkish coindimental leaf.

I think a sipping on this blend slowly will yield the most flavor and limit its capacity to bite.

I think this is a fantastic blend for those that want a quality aromatic.

Pipe Used: OMS Billiard

Mild Mild to Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

I'm in total agreement with "Liam Tyr (14) 2016-02-17 , review". Mainly a mild rum vanilla blend that burns so hot and bitey that I lost all tongue feeling after one bowl. Enough said.

Pipe Used: cob and hardwood

Age When Smoked: 1 week

Ian K Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ian K (26)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I was wondering what I was missing here when I opened the tin, not a great deal of tin note and more of a cidery type aroma than Christmassy. lovely ribbon cut and maybe just a tad dry...however the smoke was very bitter, very high end Virginias and the casing almost undetectable! However after reading the bellow review I,ve jarred it and will try again when it has breathed.

Pipe Used: Peterson 316

Age When Smoked: Straight from tin

Purchased From: 4 Noggins

Similar Blends: C&D,s Autumn evening.