A unique latakia-based crumble cake made with yellow and black Virginias, some of the most delectable Orientals available and a touch of unflavored black cavendish.

Notes: A recreation of the original Bengal Slices.

BrandStandard Tobacco Company of Pennsylvania
Strength
Taste

JimInks (2058)
Medium Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

The very smoky, woody sweet Cyprian latakia is the star component, but this is a lat-bomb with nuance. The Orientals are smoky, woody, with some spice, and is slightly sweet with a hint of sour. The yellow Virginias provide a light citrus and minor spice hit, while the black stoved Virginias have a fermented fruity sweetness. The unflavored black cavendish is brown sugar sweet and has a smoothing presence to tame any potential harshness, which you’ll hardly find in this product, even if you puff hard, though there is a slight edge to the latakia once in a while after the half way point if you go at it at beyond a moderate pace. The very mild top note is licorice. The slices are thick, and easily broken apart to prepare to your preference level. Well blended with some complexity - more so than your average lat-bomb - it burns slow, and does require a few relights, though the number of them will depend upon how you break apart the slices and pack your bowl. I suggest you do so a little loosely. The very rich flavor is consistent and fairly smooth to the finish with no weak or dull spots, and no bite. Has a slightly less than moderate nic-hit, and the strength is a little more than medium with a fulsome taste. Leaves no moisture in the bowl, which doesn’t often happen with this kind of manufacture. Has a very pleasant after taste, and the room note is not as pungent as I expected. I credit the sweetness for that.

This is the only mixture in the line up ( besides War Horse bar) where I had tried the original, which lacked the latakia and Virginia richness of this recreation. It had a very light floral note, and more obvious “barbecue” essence in addition to a rough edge that this production lacks.

Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I rubbed this one out and smoked it in a GBD pot initially. This pipe seemed to work very well for this blend, and so I dedicated the pipe to it for the sample.

The crumble cake is more firmly pressed than some, and there were hard bits of broken flake in the mix. It smells of latakia and has a slightly sour smell from the orientals. The flakes are mostly black with a slightly mottled appearance from bits of Virginia.

Smoked, this is very good. There is the woodsy latakia, some sour and spice from the orientals and some sweet from the Virginia and black cavendish. It is heavy on the latakia, and there is a creamy thick quality to the smoke. I could not identify grassy or citrus in the Virginia, so it is under a few layers, but there is a slight fruit in the sweet, and it may be contributing there, and I think there is a very mild topping as part of this flavor.

This was a very pleasant smoke. I mostly codger scooped from my palm after rubbing it out, so it was somewhat loosely packed. It stayed lit and was cool burning. It was a fairly "full" flavor combo, and it was medium strength. One of those interesting things is that when you rub it out in your palms, it leaves a slightly tarry residue.

I highly recommend this if any of my description sounds appealing. I enjoyed it.

Mild to Medium Very Mild Full Tolerable

The “new Bengal Slices” has a wonderful tin note that I find very inviting. Compared to similar crumble cakes, this has less moisture content and I think that’s a good thing as it will be “pipe ready” for most smokers. I have been fortunate enough to still possess most of the earlier production blends that the Standard Tobacco Company is now producing with the Russ Ouellette. I don’t think that the topping on the older tins held up very well so it’s tough to make any comparisons. Although there seems to be less Latakia in the new version, but that simply could be a result of the way the older tins aged. The flavor is much “brighter” too. Either way, I find this to be far tastier than the last iteration of Bengal Slices and tastier than Russ’s Fusiler’s Ration. The topping is sweet, but I can’t put my finger on what it is comprised of, but it is different than Fusiler’s and it doesn’t have a tendency to burn hot when pushed like Fusiler’s does. There is plenty of Latakia to satisfy, but there is room for the other tobacco as well. I was never a big fan of the Danish made Bengal Slices because the last half of the bowl was heavily dominated by the Latakia drowning out everything else. That isn’t the case here. I find the strength, meaning the nic hit, to be only mild to medium. Those that loved the Latakia heavy version may pull back a bit on the new one. For me, the new Bengal Slices is a wonderful, dry burning, sweet, smoky English that holds its flavor to the wonderful end. Well done!

Mild to Medium None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

The fifth of the five Standard Tobacco Company offerings I was sent to review. I thank them very much for the opportunity as it was the first time for me to review a blend before it was released. I have never tasted any of the blends that these blends were intended to simulate, so I cannot attest to the accuracy of which they match, nor can I comment on how I would have liked the original blends. It stands to reason if I would not have liked the original blend, I would likely not like the reproduction of the same.

I strategically saved this blend for last as I had thought that it would be my favorite. I was wrong, in fact, there was only one liked less than this one. That being the JC Number 1 mild. My problem with this blend is likely the opposite problem with JCN1. Where JCN1 was just too light and needed some latakia, this one gives me a lat overdose.

I was expecting to have a little more sweetness. As I have never tried Bengal Slices in its original form, I have heard more about it than the other blends being offered by STC. In my recollection, I was expecting a sweet and smoky blend. My first few bowls of it were terrible, but I blame this on smoking them at the end of the day after smoking plenty of latakia.

I then decided that I would not smoke it that way again until the sample was finished. My best bowls of it were the first smoke of the day. It was with this smoke that I could appreciate the sweetness inherent in the blend. I then did enjoy it some, but I would say that this still is a little heavy in lat for my personal taste, but not by a lot as I do enjoy Odyssey which is pretty heavy in lat as well.

One thing that I really do like about this blend is the krumble kake presentation. As has been said on here before and is still true. Kakes are fun. The slices are thick, think the thickness of a C&D/Pease flake, but they do krumble nicely. This in my opinion always adds a star to a blend. So this is between a two and three star for me, but the krumble kake presentation puts it at a solid three. For the lat fiends, this is very likely a four star blend.

Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

Dark plugs that crumble easily with a rich aroma of latakia and some sweet top note that I couldn't identify. As this is a so-called match for the same venerable blend that Russ' Fusilers Ration is, I wanted to compare the two but alas, I discovered i'm out of that one. Gotta stock up!

This one struck me as odd. Fusiliers struck me as bolder and more full flavored while also being sweeter, but they're supposed to be clones of the same blend. Now, I hope people don't make too much of my reviews in any case, but especially not this one because my sample amounted to 2 regular size bowls and one small one - not really enough to get a decent impression. But the latakia seemed subdued here, not as rich or heavy. But the orientals and Virginia didn't pick up the slack. It seemed to me that this was based on a rather old sample of Bengal where things had toned down considerably. My last two tins of the original were pretty laid back in comparison to the same tobacco fresh. Fusiliers seemed more like a fresher tin of Bengal - more robust and full flavored. This was certainly a fine tobacco, just a little disappointing. It tasted good, just not as good as Fusiliers. Where that one jumped out in a boisterous way, this one is flatter, except when I overcooked it. Then it became ever so slightly cantankerous and a bit more flavorful. Again, it was just 2.5 bowls, and it's worth a larger sample, which I will do when it comes out and I'll update this "review" at that time. I probably shouldn't have reviewed this, but I did promise to do so. More to follow.

King Weed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
King Weed (110)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Reviewing the reviews of this blend, so far, it is clear that most reviewers are too young to have smoked the original Sobranie product nor, have most, smoked the subsequent versions; and, they have rated this blend very highly. I have smoked a pipe long enough to have smoked all versions of Bengal Slices; from the black and oily wax-like Sobranie version through the black and brown mottled and dryer Gallaher variant and most of what followed down to the blend's demise. I agree with reviewer DK 2015-09-14 that the current blend is weaker and less enjoyable that Fusilier's Ration and is not quite the older product either. I also agree with reviewer tobacco 2016-02-20 that it is more of a tribute style blend than a replica of old Bengal Slices. I concur with the critique of Hans and Franz 2016-03-02 that the current product is a bit of a let down and opening yields a messy presentation which, by the way, is the predictable result of placing slices in a round tin - they get beat up some. OK, now, how do I feel about this blend? I found that it looked like the Gallaher variant more than the original version and had a tin odor that was much stronger than I remember from either; an odor rather like Wintergreen, which I do not associate with Bengal Slices. On lighting up I got a taste and odor that, while reminiscent of the older blend, was much weaker than any variant I remember smoking. These thin smoking qualities continued right down to the finish. When I exhaled my puffs into the room there was always a falling short feeling in the aroma like something expected at the end but, unfortunately, absent. Now, I would not be so critical of this blend if it were offered as a tribute blend but the tins say Bengal Slices and it is susceptible to critical comparisons because of this. I love most of the English blends offered by Russ Oulette but, Russ, this one doesn't work - its weak, off center and less satisfying than even the post Sobranie versions. Never my favorite of English blends in the old days, I would have given the older blend three stars in our current system. However, this is two star material and I give it a qualified recommendation.

Pipe Used: Larry Roush lovat billiard

Age When Smoked: current

Purchased From: pipes and cigars

Similar Blends: the Gallaher and later versions of the product, I guess.

Autumn joy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Autumn joy (48)

Bengal slices was for myself a nice treat. I spent a good bit of time on this blend prior to writing this review. The tobacco is presented as a krumble kake and I immediately think of a blend that is super hard to find. Yeah you know what blend I am talking about. The scent of the tobacco is a nice smoky scent that I personally just love. So ten points to Russ on that. I found the tobacco was easy to work with and packed very nicely. Now to the smoke, I found the latakia in this is noticeable but not a forefront lat bomb. The oriental used in this does give some uniqueness and keeps the smoke interesting. Now the best part of this reproduction is the black Cavendish it gives this a nice sweetness to the tobacco and really left me craving more of it. Overall no relighting needed the tobacco was perfect for smoking not to dry or wet. I would say this blend is a good alternative to penzance and if not just as good. I found this blend to be very enjoyable and will highly recommend this to any smoker out there that enjoys a good English oriental.

Pipe Used: Rusticated Egg

Purchased From: Gifted from Dan at The Standard Tobacco Complany of Pennsylvania

Similar Blends: Esoterica Tobacciana - Penzance, Smoker's Haven - Krumble Kake.

BC Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BC (10)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is my first review, so I will give it a shot. I should start out by saying I do not like LAT Bombs. Bengal Slices may be fairly characterized so. This stuff, however, is amazing. First, it is very smooth. I mean good scotch smooth, not harsh at all. Second, It tastes, to me, a little sweet, and weirdly, it tastes sweeter the longer you smoke it. It tastes very full, very complex. There is an incense quality topnote with a soft creamy background, if that makes any sense. You can smell heavy latakia in the tin, a kind of thick meaty smell. It is a crumble cake, which I love. It exhibits a dark brown/black color with mottled VA. It has left of moderate nicotine, which is perfect for me. I give this 4 stars. I do not think it's an everyday smoke, but a very special treat. Thank you Standard Tobacco Company!

Pipe Used: GBD bent, African Meerschaum slightly bent

Purchased From: P & C

pinko Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pinko (52)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Now I’ve got vanilla ghosts in one of my English blend pipes.

The Bengal Slices I remember had a nice floral essence and some smooth, actual Latakia, Turkish, and Virginia flavor. The Bengal Slices I just bought new smells, on opening, like I’m standing next to the bowl of fennel at my favorite curry shop. These are very different animals.

On light, it starts with an overwhelming vanilla and chocolate flavor. The anise is evident exhaling through the nose. Occasionally some Virginia (like it needed more sweetness?) comes through. The Latakia is fighting a losing battle against the toppings. It’s been sauced into submission.

The Dutch Pipe Smoker mentioned that this reminded him of HU ChocoLat, but I thought he was talking about the Lat part. It was the Choco part. The topping here is overwhelming. Massive. I can’t imagine that I’m smoking the same thing that earlier reviewers are smoking - this is a vanilla and chocolate aromatic.

I have no idea why they called this Bengal Slices, it bears no resemblance at all.

jwillis172 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jwillis172 (4)

Mmmm… The tin note is smoky, sweet and sour like Hickory smoked brisket with a thin barbecue sauce.

The tin presentation is crumble cake, thick sliced flakes about 3 mm thick. I rub a few out and am left with – well - crumbs. I can see this is good stuff. I choose a medium Stanwell freehand and a light pack. The initial charring light doesn’t take, so I proceed with another. The flavor is exquisite, silky, feels like marbles on the tongue. Sipping, the mouth feel is peppery and sweet, delicious.

Halfway through the flavor has not changed. Each puff brings forth and explosion of fine silky spices. At the end of the bowl, I am left with ash a little liquid. This is not surprising since I am outside and it is raining…

My wife tells me I smell like a campfire, I think she likes it.

Overall, an excellent blend, well-conceived and executed. Kudos to Russ Ouellette and the Standard Tobacco Company of Pennsylvania. Four stars!

Pipe Used: Stanwell Freehand

Purchased From: P & C

p120d16y Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
p120d16y (19)
Medium Extremely Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

This blend is really superb in quality. Being an occasional lat smoker these days, I find I really enjoy Latakia more when I rarely smoke it, else I tire of it quickly. Those orientals really smooth out the Cyprian lat, and JimInks TR review is spot on. Now, forgive me for the next part. I'm staring at the price tag. I'm a cheapskate. For $12.79 a tin, I find it rather strange that nobody else has noticed this tastes like Barking Dog, or rather, Sutliff's Man's Best Friend (Barking Dog match at P&C) unusually so. Maybe I don't nitpick on the sophistication. Sure, the top tier orientals probably command a higher price, but I've smoked quite a bit of the Sutliff MBF and I love the stuff. It's like the $7 a tin generic version of this fancy Bengal Slices. Russ did a fantastic job with this blend and I DO love the stuff. But I can get 4 oz for the same price. Yeah, Sutliff's is burley and cheaper grades possibly but I love what Sutliff makes. The quarter inch thick slices of crumble cake is a very interesting presentation. As someone else mentioned, it would do better in square tins. A very sweet lat bomb blend that is excellently well rounded. Only relit a large billiard full a time or two because I was really smoking slowly. Burns great, leave a bit chunky with fine tinder on the top.

EDIT: Pretty upset to find out Sutliff has discontinued Man's Best Friend.

Pipe Used: Carey Magic Inch large billiard

Age When Smoked: New and fresh

Purchased From: P&C

Similar Blends: Sutliff Man's Best Friend(Barking Dog Match blend) Fusilier's Ration.

To me, this is clearly in the Areo camp, Anise and Vanilla, not overdone, but noticeable. As I'm not an Areo smoker , so I do tend to rate these with fewer stars, but this one I can get by with. Areos all seem to have a background bitterness that I find distracting, however, the sweetness is the predominant player in this one.

The Crumple Kake flakes break apart very easy and leaves little "nuggets", that I find hard to pack in my usual "Air pocket "method and is more easily packed using gravity feed method instead.

I agree with reviewer , SteelCowboy 2016-01-29 in that this reminds me of a smoother , Fusiler"s Ration. Not a favorite of mine because of the Vanilla/ Latakia combo. I'm sure many will find this pleasant, but I won't buy again

Pipe Used: cob & Maple

Age When Smoked: 1 month

Similar Blends: Fusilers Ration.

crapgame1967 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
crapgame1967 (48)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

This is some great tobacco here, it broke apart and packed nicely in my pipe and after the right amount of poking at it in the bowl ( my lack of experience with crumble cake showed up here) I had a great early morning smoke! The taste is rich,deep and leaves a pleasant mouth feel not unlike what one gets from sipping a "GOOD" cup of coffee. Each puff starts with a smokehouse type taste that somehow manages to get sweet at the end. Credit the blender for finding the perfect way to transition between smokey and sweet in every puff! The smoke reminded me of a freshly opened tin of Blue Diamond "Smoke House" Almonds and never became rank even at the bottom of the bowl. This is a four star blend for me!

Pipe Used: No Name Meer

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Purchased From: Gifted

canvas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
canvas (97)
Medium Mild to Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This was my first time with a crumble cake, and what an odd experience. I have rubbed out plugs and slices before and they always retain some "ribbon cut" element, but these Bengal Slices just crumble as the name suggests. It performs very much like feta cheese or densely packed marijuana.

The initial aroma was not overpowering and kinda reminded me of a musky cologne with a bit of sweetness. For a latakia, it didn't try to overwhelm your nose by being knee-deep in fireplace charcoal. Upon firing up, I was surprised at how easy it was to draw air through the pipe, since I figured the crumbles would've pressed into a dense airtight wad. The cherry also stayed constant and smoldered without relights.

The taste was right up my alley, reminding me of McClelland Frog Morton. It was spicy and interesting all the way to the bottom. Bourbon and caramel notes perhaps? I honestly can't nail down one flavor, but that's what makes it robust and fun to smoke.

I am very stingy with giving a review 4 stars, but this one earned it! My only small gripes were the mess to pack a bowl and the fact that due to being tightly compressed, you use more tobacco to fill the bowl, so the tin runs out a bit quicker.

Similar Blends: McClelland Frog Morton.

Bengal Slices.

Note: I posted this in the wrong place so copied and pasted!

In the tin there's 5 thin Krumble Kakes, of quite good moistness. The tin-note implies a more formidable English flavour than what I actually get.

The blend can be crumbled into rather chunky pieces: this gives an incredibly cool smoke. Igniting B.S. is, due to the moisture, is easy peasy. And then the flavour of the smoke is a very 'smooth' English one. Forgetting the Black Cavendish for one second, the Latakia, Oriental, and Virginia taste as would be expected for this type of blend: smoky, woody, with a slight grass quality. The black Cavendish is what totally adjusts the scenario: this gives a nice vanilla-cream attribute and changes the smoke quite a lot in comparison to the normal English blends.

The nicotine's not much higher than mild: to become anywhere near medium it needs a big puff, and to be honest the room-note's about the only thing I'm not a fan of: pleasant to tolerable at best.

This is a definite four star blend:

Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Various

Skibbereen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skibbereen (19)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

There is little I can add to the already eloquent review that "jimlnks" has so eloquently provided. He has hit the nail right on the head. This is ,simply put, just an absolutely wonderful tobacco. I've never smoked the original, but I can surely speak to this blend. The latakia is spot on. It adds just enough woodsy, camp fiery taste to the smoke. The Black Cavendish holds the whole smoke together. It is there throughout the whole smoke. At first it's very predominate. But then it eases back a bit as you progress through the bowl. But the latakia stays through whole smoke. The Orientals and Turkish at first, give you a nice peppery blast as you exhale though your nose. As the smoke progresses though, it gets milder and milder, until it dissipates altogether. The Virginias are hardly noticeable throughout the bowl. I guess they too contribute to the success of the experience. I'm not that experienced with them. As you progress through the bowl, it gets milder and milder, adding to the pleasure of the experience. There are several relights, but not many. Until you are finished. Just a clean ash when you are done, with no dottle. But the latakia stays through the whole bowl. So if you like a lat bomb...this is your smoke for sure. And if you really want to experience the best...if you happen to have a meerschaum...load it up!!

Pipe Used: Peterson 304, Meershaum Bearded Gentleman

Age When Smoked: 3 months from date of purchase 12/30/2016

Similar Blends: War Horse, Fusilier's Ration, White Knight, Black House, Magnum Opus..

BriarWoody Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarWoody (33)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

This krumble kake is addicting! Russ Oulette's reformulation is deliciously sweet and smoky, unlike any other English blend. It is similar in color to Penzance, but arrives in thicker slices that easily break apart into small chunks that pack and burn beautifully.

I wouldn't consider this an English aromatic, but there is a noticeable anise topping that persists throughout the bowl. Combined with the sweet VA and smoky Latakia, it delivers a delicious and interesting smoke. If I were a cat, this would be my catnip!

Nicotine is fairly low, and I typically smoke a second bowl.

ElMog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ElMog (30)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Extra Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Cracking open the tin, you are greeted by a very nice smell of incense with a hint of sweetness reminding me a bit of vanilla, but ''drier''. On the charring light, you notice that the taste is very similar to the tin note, with high notes of exotic woods, spice, and a pleasant sweetness. The sweetness mostly comes from a topping, some may not like it, but i find it to blend very well with the smoky Latakia in this blend. It is a ''powdery'' sweetness, not heavy or cloying, very ''oriental'' in nature, so much that when it combines with the Latakia it simply gives the impression of a sweeter incense taste and smell. Bengal slices is mostly about high notes, it made me go ''wow !'' instantly, it may be a bit too much for an everyday smoke. But it is not heavy, it is light, creamy, powdery and lively, the ''base'' notes do not really shine but provide a backdrop for the most obvious top notes. Burn quality is excellent if packed rather loosely, i never got it to bite or get harsh, as you progress down the bowl the taste subdues a bit, and unlike some other tobaccos, it does not seem to gain depth or complexity, rather it seems to fade slowly and become more ''tame''. I like the presentation, 3 thick slices, almost black, with lots of smaller broken pieces to use as tinder. Overall: an aromatic, ''thinner'' version of BlackHouse. Highly recommended !

Pipe Used: Peterson Kinsale

Purchased From: 4noggins

Similar Blends: H&H Marquee BlackHouse.

Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

The Latakia dominates here and is quite good. It's woody and smoky with a touch of spice, and best of all, has no acrid note. The Orientals are a little sour with an herbal note. There is a very nice sweetness, some of which is topping. I can get only an extremely mild note of fruit from the Virginias. The Black Cav smooths it all out very nicely. I like this, but can't help but feel that it would have been better if the Lat had been applied with a slightly lighter hand. A very nice smoke as is though.

Mild to medium in body. Flavoring is very mild. Taste is medium to full. Needs a few relights here and there.

Pipe Used: MM Dagner Poker, Country Gentleman, Marcus

Planet Scott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Planet Scott (58)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant

Meh.....Not a lot going for me. Dry, grassy and not very complex. The room note is amazing. I wish the flavor came even a little close. Too many relights as well. I've given this several chances, hoping it would improve for me and it hasn't.

Latakiafile Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Latakiafile (9)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Never tried the original but I can say this, Wow! What a blend I've read some negative stuff but I urge those who have offered those opinions to give Bengal Slices another shot. This blend needs to be smoked slowly to get the full benefits it has to offer. I am an English / Balkan smoker and this is one you want in your rotation. This is a blend that is not to be missed.

Pipe Used: cob

SeoulSister Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SeoulSister (37)

When I opened up the tin of Bengal Slices, it smelled smoky and sweet. I could also detect some sort of added flavoring, but I'm not sure what it is. I rubbed out the cake, carefully mixing in a few small chunks. When I first lit Bengal Slices, it seemed stronger than it actually is, but it is really a medium tobacco. There is a slight sweetness from the Virginia tobacco and sweetness from the added flavoring. This is a smooth smoke and I enjoy it. I didn't get any bite and the strength stayed about the same from beginning to end. I would definitely smoke this again.

SmokeDawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeDawg (82)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I rarely jump on the new tobacco band wagon and generally don't buy what the websites and mags pimp as the new thing. However Bengal Slices peaked my interest as it sounded like what I was looking for. It turned out to match exactly what I was hoping for.

I'm impressed with the quality and smoke of this blend. It's most delightful! To the easily packing crumble cake to the smell of those orientals and the smokey latakia. Wonderful room note. However, I MUST WARN about the over the top and extreme nicotine contained in this blend. For the recored, I'm far removed from a newbie and consider myself a veteran smoker. I enjoy the heavy hitting nicotine baccas like Royal Yacht, Irish Flake and even exhausted rooster... however Bengal slices are in a class by themselves!

The rub is this... the blend is actually mild and a so called "all day smoke" so there were times I stepped on the gas in attempt to blow past the mildness in search of more flavor. Big mistake, the Bengal pounced!

I felt as though my heart would burst! Ever had a hard jolt of adrenaline or Espresso high? Multiply that by 10 and you get the feeling I had. I bet I looked ridiculous but I had to walk around the outside of my house at a quick pace to get out the energy. I felt like I was going to explode! I didn't realize it was Bengal Slices and thought it was a new med.

Later that night I had to run an errand and like all true pipers, I grabbed my "traveling to the store pipe" and packed it with Bengal Slices. Down the road that feeling from earlier began to come back. I could feel a huge rush of anxiety and my heart felt like it was coming out of my chest. I thought oh my! It's this new tobacco not the meds! HOLY SMOKES this is a strong nicotine rush. Be careful this blend is not a lamb, it's a Bengal Tiger!

I do recommend this great blend but use caution. Best smoked in small bowls, sipped and enjoyed causally.

Pipe Used: Peterson xL305, Peterson 4s DeLuxe

Age When Smoked: winter 2016

Similar Blends: Plum pudding... with a dose of topping and a ton of st. nick..

Hans and Franz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hans and Franz (1)
Medium Strong Full Tolerable

Bengal Slices was a bit of a let down.

The tin aroma is Play-Doh. The presentation in the tin was messy, with thick, irregular chunks on a bed of powdered tobacco, which was too dry. It turns to dust when crumbled, and I can't help but wonder if this is the shake and powder from the bottom of the blending pile, pressed and sliced. The smoke was decent but nothing extraordinary, like it's relying too much on the top flavor.

Perhaps I set my expectations too high. I was expecting something like Penzance, not in flavor, but in presentation; more refined.

tabaco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tabaco (111)
Mild Mild Full Pleasant

In my view the current Standard Tobacco version is a tribute blend, not a replica although competent in it's own right; however, it's very different indeed totally different compared to the original British version moreover it's a crudely sliced crumble cake. I gather that Lane does not have the equipment nor the presses to manufacture slices as one sees in Penzance or Gawith's Balkan Flake for example.

Having recently emptied, a few weeks ago, one of my few remaining tins of the original British made slices it's time for comparisons: the topping is utterly different, the original was soapy floral Lakeland-like essence which ghosted like nobody's business. The new one reminds me of mild Tonquin slight Vanilla and some Anise, occasionally on the retro-hale a mild soapiness does arise albeit very mild and almost nonexistent, the former would be every puff and blend-dedicated briars a virtual necessity.

The original was more Latakia forward, the new one being more subtle yet still retaining a respectable Latakia representation.

Appearance, the original is much darker and waxy like shoe polish, mind you age plays a role. The appearance of the new one is exactly the same as Plum Pudding, don't rub it too much it turns to dust quickly. Gravity pack no tamping needed, burns great, very cool/slow and well behaved all the way down, consistent flavour and combustion. I did not notice vitamin N at all; however, the casing does coat the palate so last smoke of the day for me. All in all the new one is a competent blend albeit quite different maybe second cousins.

I prefer Russ' Fusilier's Ration it has more personality with bigger Orientals and more Latakia forward, the anise is also very apparent every puff. The best thing Russ has done in my books.

I'll finish this tin; however, I won't be cellaring any on the other hand a nice stack of Fusilier's Ration is slowly growing in the cellar.

PS. the new version of John Cotton's Smyrna is much much closer to the original. I close my eyes with a packed pipe and up pulls Doc Brown's DeLorean.

Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Not being a devoted Latakia fan I was anxious to try this offering. Love the crumble cake presentation. The cakes are hard to the touch but crumble very readily. The tin note is of a sweet Latakia and not strong at that. Loading and lighting are very easy to accomplish and the mix stays lit after the ritual two lights, burning clean and dry to the heel. The taste is that of a sweetened Latakia and not at all strong as some Lat blends are. The predominant taste throughout the smoke was that of Latakia with a slight hint of perhaps a mild vanilla-like sweetness or brown sugar sweetness. Don't know if vanilla is what is being used, but it was very pleasant and in no way cloying. I can agree with the comparisons made to Sillem's Black, but I prefer the subtlety of Bengal Slices over the Black. The room note is simply fantastic! Coming back into the room after smoking this is very, very nice. I doubt this would offend anyone at all. Although I've never smoked the original, kudos to STC of Pa and Russ Ouellette for recreating this blend. A new favorite for sure, and that's saying a lot for someone who usually smokes Lat blends on infrequent occasions.

Pipe Used: Stanwell Featherweight half bent Dublin

Age When Smoked: Fresh from tin.

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars.com

Similar Blends: Sillem's Black.

Buster Bluth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Buster Bluth (56)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

I've never had the original Bengal. Not sure what flavoring is used here, but the tin note of this as well as the initial flavor to me is anise. Not as strong as Count Pulaski in the use of anise, but subtle. The word that comes to mind when describing this blend overall is subdued. All the components are well married, yet none really stand out for this smoker. They seem to meld more than interplay, like an aged tin.

Periodically there is just a little Oriental sourness that pokes through. Black Cav is also a good additive to blends. For me, it adds a roundness and slight richness to blends and its effect is discernible here. The strong shoulders of the blend really seem to be a strong marriage of VA and Lat plus the aforementioned flavoring. it seems neither ever take a strong lead, but make this full bodied and add a slight musty quality not easy to describe, as it has a nice meaty mouth feel. The flavor profile overall does not change much for this smoker during the progression of the bowl. Sometimes that is what I'm looking for, sometimes it isn't.

Easy to crumble, pack and light. Impeccable burning qualities. In summary, this seems to be an extremely good, but not overly complicated tobacco. It is a solid performer and one I intend to cellar. It's one I'd recommend and share, but can't see it immediately replacing other Lat blends currently in the rotation. It's a solid 3 stars.

Pipe Used: Dunhill size 3 and GBD Prince

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars

noquarter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
noquarter (23)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

Never tried the original Bengal slices,fusiliers ration nor the lancer slices. For what it is,this is a very good tobacco. I certainly would not mind the name. I smoke for the pleasure of pipesmoking and this one just happens to be very good.Highly recommend.

LannarkGent Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LannarkGent (105)
Medium Strong Very Full Very Strong

This is a smoky latakia blend. The orientals are complex enough to add depth to the flvor. There seems to be some Samsun as well as some Yendige.

HobgoblinTA96 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HobgoblinTA96 (42)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

I have been smoking a pipe since 1981. I remember this blend quite fondly, it was one of my first. Not quite how I remember it. This tribute is an English with enough Cavendish to make it a Scottish. It also appears to be cased in wintergeen. Personally, I love the taste of this blend. Smoking it, however, is a bit problematic. It does not crumble properly, thus leaving one with pebble size hard unlightable pieces of tobacco. I find a small hand grinding mill to work quite excellent on this blend. It can also use a bit of drying time as it is heavily cased. Still a unique blend for its taste, and works lovely when blended into other Scottish blends. If you love the taste of wintergreen, as I do, then you have to give this blend a go. Cheers

Pipe Used: Peterson's Calabash and German Black Clay

Age When Smoked: Fresh from tin

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

Similar Blends: American Scottish Crossover.

Pryhosm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pryhosm (39)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is a very nice tobacco. If you do not like top flavorings take heed, there is one here although I find it to be quite pleasing. Tin note is licorice, vanilla, campfire and a woody earthy smell. Very pleasant The crumble cake is a bit of a challenge to pack and causes each pipe to burn differently (at least for me). I found some success with cube cutting it and loosely packing the bowl with a firm single tamp. It will require some relights. Once lit the flavor is quite good. The flavoring is present but does not mask the woody sour orientals and the smokiness of the Latakia is right up front. I find cavendish to offer a sweetness to the smoke but it also boosts the mouth feel, a full bodied smoke, very "round" mouth filling. The Virginias are present but hard to tease out beyond a sweetness and grassyness on occasion. If I understand the lineage this is a second attempt with more info and a build off of Fusellier's Ration. The latter was easier to pack and smoke but this is a much more enjoyable smoke from the flavor perspective. This would be a 4 star tobacco if it weren't so hard to pack and get a good burn on.

Pipe Used: Briar, meerschaum and cobs

Age When Smoked: out of the tin

Purchased From: smoking pipes

MarkTheLad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MarkTheLad (29)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

This is my favorite tobacco hands down, it's absolutely perfect. It's perfectly balanced, lightly smoky, slightly sweet, nutty, creamy, and a little incense like from the orientals. The latakia stays in the background and never masks the other tobacco flavors. It smokes cool with no bite whatsoever and has a wonderful aftertaste. I always try to rub this out very gently, because it's somewhat dry and is easy to over-rub it into powder. However it burns nicely all the way to the bottom of the bowl. I usually smoke this in a pipe with a filter, because there will inevitably be some bits to get up through the stem for the first part of the bowl. Sometimes after finishing a bowl, I am so happy with it and find it so tasty, that I will reload another pipe and enjoy it all over again.

Pipe Used: Various filter