Black Coffee is a blend of burley, Virginia and black cavendish, infused with a rich, slightly sweet coffee flavor. Great all by itself, it can also be a nice addition to blends with chocolate or whiskey flavoring.

BrandPeter Stokkebye
Taste

3.2
JimInks (2028)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

The Virginia is grassy, citrus sweet as the base of the blend. The burley is nutty with a little molasses, and is almost a second lead. The black cavendish offers just a touch of vanilla that’s unnoticeable much of the time. The tobaccos are mostly covered up by the mildly rich, slightly sweet coffee, and the topping is why you buy this blend. Sometimes, I sense a hint of caramel, too. Has very little nicotine, which is typical for most aromatics. The taste just reaches the medium mark, while the strength is in the center of mild to medium. The tobacco is a little dry. Burns well at an even pace; cool, clean, lightly buttery, very smooth with a consistent flavor that never weakens. No dull or harsh spots to be found, and it won’t bite. Has a very pleasant after taste that lingers a little. An easy going all day smoke. More of a three star blend, but I give it four because it’s one of the better coffee aros I have smoked.

TwelveAMnTX Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TwelveAMnTX (27)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I decided to try PS Black Coffee after getting a blend that was a mix of 2 other tobaccos from a local shop. I enjoy the blend, but it is more of a creamy coffee & I wanted something with more coffee taste. I enjoy smoking this straight & blended with other tobaccos.

When you open the bag you get a nice buttery caramel coffee smell. It's a mix of good burley & vrginia with some smaller bits of black cavendish mixed throughout. The tobacco is drier than most aromatics, but still has enough moisture to bite if you puff too hard. It takes a couple lights to get going, but stays lit well if you keep a good cadence. The bag aroma compared to the smoking experience seems backwards. The black coffee is the main flavor with a slight hint of the buttery caramel that you smelled. It burns down fairly well leaving very little dottle or wetness in the pipe. The room note is a pleasant smell of coffee, but you also get some tobacco aroma as well.

As for mixing, this works well with PS Black Cavendish, I have a jar I mixed 50/50. You can try whatever amount you want to add for some vanilla flavoring to your coffee. I also enjoy adding a small pinch PS Dark Fired into the Black Cavendish Coffee mix, it gives a nice smoky nuance to the blend. You could also try whiskey, amaretto or whatever you may like in your coffee. Enjoy!

Pipe Used: MM cobs & Lorenzo Atlante Chianti

Age When Smoked: fresh to a month in the jar

Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

Peter Stokkebye - Black Coffee.

It looks coarser than a lot of straight ribbons, and smells sweet. The pouch actually has more sweetness than coffee. The moisture's good, and there's a lesser amount of black Cavendish compared to the lighter Burley and Virginia.

I like the smoke! Again, like in the pouch-note, I get more of a sweeter addition than coffee. That's not a bad thing, it tastes great. Albeit, some folks may find it a touch sickly. The Burley in Black Coffee tastes SUPERB: incredibly rich, nutty, and rustic. The Virginia tastes high quality too, but not as inimitable as the Burley. The Cavendish is easily the lightest of the three, sometimes I think I might be getting some, but I couldn't swear to it.

The nicotine: medium. The room-note: pleasant.

I'll highly recommend this:

Four stars.

Pipe Used: Altinok Lee Van Cleef; Friday pipe

Age When Smoked: Three weeks

BROBS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BROBS (31)

This one really does hit the mark of black coffee. Has a good flavor, though not always of coffee at all. Decent tobacco flavor comes through without overpowering the flavor of the coffee or cocoa or whatever it is you can taste. This one is really good along with a real cup of "black coffee" and to me doesn't offend or make your pipe stink. I could smoke a lot of this.

Pipe Used: MM Diplomat, Old Dominion Chesapeake Cob

Age When Smoked: brand new to 2 months old

canvas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
canvas (88)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable

In my quest to find a good coffee flavored tobacco I gave this one a try. Not as pungent as the Cornell & Diehl Espresso I had, but not much coffee essence either. Between the two it was "better" in that I didn't crinkle my nose when I tried it, I just wish it had some coffee flavor (or any flavor for that matter) when smoked. It was dry and just unassuming... more akin to a generic aromatic that didn't have much aroma.

If I simply wanted a neutral effect I would smoke this, but I can't really recommend as a coffee tobacco. I did recently revisit it and while it was still plain, but was an OK smoke when packed tightly.