Notes: Warhorse, last sold in the UK in the early 1980’s, is a robust “everyman’s” pipe tobacco, consisting of earthy, hearty Burley, ripe red Virginias, a good share of smoky, spicy dark-fired Kentucky and a bit of Perique for a hint of sweetness. It has a very light top-note that helps to smooth out the flavor. This is a bold smoke, best enjoyed after a nice meal with a nice libation.

BrandStandard Tobacco Company of Pennsylvania
Taste

2.9
JimInks (2058)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

The burley is toasty, and a little nutty with a strong, bold earthiness. The burley is a little sweet, though I don’t notice that particular sweetness as much after a few puffs. The rest of the time you’ll discern the other aspects of the burley that I mentioned. It's one of the major components, although the spicy, woody, smoky dark-fired Kentucky kicks in from the start, and you’ll taste it all the way through as it grabs your attention a little more than the burley does. It does seem to recede a little in the last quarter of the smoke. The perique isn’t always as obvious as it plays a minor part in the proceedings. More often than not, its spicy quality is mildly sublimated by that of the dark-fired. The plum, fig, and date notes it provides are more noticeable to me. The red Virginias are tangy dried dark fruit sweet with a touch of earth in an important support role as it provides a bit of sweetness, which I seem to observe more after the half way point, though it’s always there. The sweet topping, which seems to be licorice, competes with the red Virginia in the taste department in the first half, and though the topping weakens just a little after that, it will remain to the end. The blend’s strength is a little over the medium threshold while the taste is almost full. The nic-hit is a little more than moderate. Dry out of the tin, it burns well with very few relights, cool, smooth and a little creamy with a fairly consistent complex flavor. A little hydration brings out the flavors more, especially the perique. I suggest a moderate cadence and a wide bowl to heighten the experience. Leaves no moisture in the bowl, produces lots of smoke, and the sweet, spicy after taste pleasantly lingers as it leaves nothing but burnt ash at the finish. Despite its strength, it’s almost an all day smoke, and long time smokers may consider it to be one.

The blend is a great smoke. I am getting an earthy, strong(ish) burley base. the Kentucky and perique are condimental+. They are easy to taste but don't dominate. There is enough of the Kentucky to give me a little spicy mouth tingle, and the perique is always there when exhaling through the nose. There is a slight sweet that I think is a red Virginia and may be helped by the perique. I know the description says light topping, but I am not tasting one.

In terms of strength this is a medium or maybe a little more. The taste is medium-full tobacco goodness. This is a very satisfying blend for me. I suspect it might not be the best blend for a beginner.

This is one of those blends that begs for a different scale. A 3 for me is a blend that I could make a "desert island smoke" and be grateful. A 4 is something I think everyone should try. This does not rise to a 4, but it is very good for me.

Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium Tolerable

This is the first of the samples of the five blends introduced by Standard Tobacco Company I received that I have finished and I liked this one. This could be for a few reasons, chief of these, that VaBurPers are probably my preferred choice of pipe tobacco genres and secondly is that this is the only blend that is not a Balkan/latakia blend of the five Standard Tobacco Company offerings.

This one is also unique in the fact that it is not one that could be completely duplicated due to the results of the laboratory analysis done on it. From what I had read there were things in the original War Horse that could not be put into a tobacco today. I presume this to mean that an ingredient was something that could be a danger to ingest.

Based on that, I can say that, at least as it concerns this one of the five, I am glad to have never tasted the original. For giggles, I did look at the review of the original to see what others' impressions were of it. Apparently it was a strong Virginia with a topping that came in a plug form. the Standard Tobacco Offering is a ribbon tobacco that I believe has some sort of fruity topping to it. I hate to use the word cherry because of the impression many of us have of that as a topping, but it did taste kind of cherry to me.

The burley and Virginia play nice together and give it a sweet and earthy background. The perique presence is light but does add a touch of spice. It is really quite good. In the article I read it stated that Russ used the perique to add flavor, but I have to wonder if it wasn't also to give it a little backbone as the original was reputed to be quite the nicotine beast. STC War Horse is also pretty strong on the nicotine, but far from overwhelming.

I am not sure I can put four stars on this, but it is very good and just falls shy of that mark for me. There are just a few more Vaburpers that I would put over this one.

But I do recommend it as I feel anyone who enjoys burleys and vapers will not find it to be money wasted.

Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

Golden brown to black ribbon with a baggie note of whatever topping is used atop a slight tobacco-y smell. I couldn't place the topping either by smell or taste, although it brought back old memories of a children's cough medicine I used to have to take. Unpleasant memories. Further, I'm not sure why a company would bring back an old favored tobacco and change the cut from plug to ribbon??? Seems odd to me.

Flavorings are pretty simple determinants to a blend - if they are obvious and you like the flavor, the blend is good. If not, the blend is not for you. This one started out with that unpleasant topping which thankfully burned away completely by mid-bowl. Drying out the tobacco before loading helped the topping disappear earlier. And that worked better for me. The burley was not at all nutty and opted for a more earthy, tobacco-y approach. There was a slight sweetness not topping related from the Virginia which kept this one from being a basic burley-Kentucky (although nothing wrong with that, but apparently that is not WarHorse). My sensitivity to perique is lower than most smokers and I didn't notice any in the taste, although I did get a slight nose tickle from time to time. That tells me it's doing its job in the flavor dept as well. My problem is the topping. Sometimes even a light flavoring dominates for me, as it did here in the first half of the bowl. I never smoked the original so I can't comment on how close this is. I do suspect this one is going to become quite popular, as it bridges a gap between an English-type OTC and an American OTC. I doubt I'll smoke it again, but I do recommend it, both as a possible match to the original and something new and different (if you don't have the original as a comparison).

Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

War Horse, one of the new re-introductions by the Standard Tobacco Company of PA (with Russ Ouellette) arrives, like many of Russ’s blends, on the dry side, which how I like to smoke my tobacco. The tin scent is ever so slightly sour in a good way, along with a topping that bears some resemblance to cocoa for me, although though I don’t think that’s what it is. I have never tried the original so I have no basis for comparison. For me, the standout tobacco in this blend is the Burley, which others have pointed out, is earthier for me rather than nutty. The Burley leads the day for me and the topping adds a bit of sweetness. I don’t really taste the perique and I am guessing it was added ever so lightly. It burns really dry and leaves a bit of dryness in my mouth too. I would put War Horse in the “all day” type smoke category. While not a strong tobacco, there is some noticeable nicotine. War Horse reminds me of some of the old drug store blends (in a good way) but of much higher quality.

Autumn joy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Autumn joy (48)

War horse is such a fantastic smoke. I have been very fortunate to sample this blend and also distribute samples for my local pipe club as well as local B&M. Needless to say I haven't got to spend too much time with this blend until now to do a review. The tobacco is presented in a loose cut form but a plug is in the works. The bag note is almost a robust vinegary note in my opinion. The tobacco is in my opinion just right for smoking not too wet or too dry. This made it easy to pack as well as keeping lit. The initial taste I got on this blend was the robust taste it gives you. It's a blend that makes you feel manly when you smoke it. The red Virginias are a base leaf used and the dark fired Kentucky's and perique give this blend that nice robust spice to it, and the burley gives this a nice comfortable nicotine hit. I really feel that the Kentucky and perique steal the show in this and I enjoyed that. War horse is a robust mans man tobacco. The tobacco burned really well into a nice gray ash, I did not need to relight at all. Unfortunately I have never smoked gallahers war horse to compare but I imagine this is fairly close to the original with some age. Overall I really would recommend this blend to smokers who enjoy a nice robust evening smoke. A key factor for me is this got me pretty relaxed I can totally smoke this with a nice glass of scotch. So I'm sold on this one I will be buying a pound of this in the near future. Good stuff

Pipe Used: Viprati bull dog

Purchased From: Gifted from Dan at the standard tobacco company of Pennsylvania

steppx Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
steppx (137)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

I can't say I share the enthusiasm for this blend that many of the reviewers here have. It's good quality, and I feel as if I should like it more than i do...but thats the subjective part of this. Its a bit like C&D's Old Joe Krantz, but less interesting. To me anyway. Its a burley blend with a medium nic hit. The Kentucky is present throughout and is really the best part ...providing a nice tangy and smokey almost taste. But there seem better versions of this out there.

Similar Blends: Old Joe Krantz and some of John Patton's stuff....Storm Front for one..

guitar2mw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
guitar2mw (92)
Medium to Strong Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

I really REALLY wanted to like this blend. It is unusual for me to get a blend that I cannot at least appreciate in some aspect. This one, however, did not do it for me at all. I have to say that I love strong tobaccos, and that is what made me initially think that I would enjoy this. First of all, I could not get it to take a flame no matter what I smoked it in. Once it finally caught fire, it burned hot in cobs, meers, and briars. I tried sipping it more slowly - it still got hot. The flavor was strong and smokey, and I didn't get a bit of sweetness with it other than from the charring light (or one of many charring lights). The smoke was heavy and rather oily, and the room note reminded me of hot asphalt from a highway construction project. Lesson learned: sometimes things are just not meant to be.

Pipe Used: Various briars, cobs, and meers

Age When Smoked: 1 month

The Burley leads with earth and a lesser nutty note. The Kentucky follows with a smoky earthiness and spice a ways behind, but does show a little better in the second half. The topping is next in influence lending a nice sweetness and a flavor I can't lock down. It's pretty nice though. The Virginias give a little sweet hay and the Perique may as well be absent. I like the overall profile well enough, but it tends to burn hot with a little sharpness.

Medium in body and taste. Flavoring is very mild. Burns very well.

Pipe Used: MM Marcus, Country Gentleman, Mark Twain

King Weed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
King Weed (110)
Strong Extremely Mild Full Very Pleasant

I don't remember ever smoking the original Gallaher blend, nor seeing it for sale any where, nor seeing some other smoker lighting it up. So, I have to go with the blend at hand as it is being presented. I knew as soon as I lit it that it was at least a three star blend - rich, strong and nutty from the Burley content. As an English smoker I was concerned that it would leave me wanting more taste and aroma. Not so; it is a very satisfying smoke that I always look forward to smoking and that made me add another star to my rating. I agree with reviewer Autumn Joy 2015-10-16 that this is a man's type of tobacco. I also agree with reviewer Doc's Pipe 2016-02-08 that there is a top note in the tin aroma that is citrusy and apricot -like. Although some of us detected this note through most of the bowl, I couldn't find it in the smoking aroma. I let the tobacco sit open to the air on a piece of paper about 30 minutes before loading up and that must have evaporated it. Now, just how good is this blend? It is as good a non-English blend as Davidoff Flake Medallions, which I also rated as four stars. And then there's this: a long-time smoking buddy of mine and I were enjoying some Warhorse when he said that he wanted to buy more of it. I asked him how much do you want to get (thinking that we would order a few tins together) and was taken aback at his answer - 5 pounds! We guys like this tobacco - four stars.

Pipe Used: Ashton Dublin Quaint

Age When Smoked: current

Purchased From: pipes and cigars

Similar Blends: I don't know. The citrusy top note is totally absent in the American OTC blends that I have smoked, yet, the British OTCs I have smoked aren't this "Americanized". It kind of stands alone..

butman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
butman (47)

Well, I just found it to be not smooth at all and a bit brash. I was prepared to be tickled and then there's that. Well, I put all tobaccos through a 3 time test. I used it in a Charatan Skater, a meerschaum billiard and a Everyman billiard. It did not make my re-purchase list. I have shared it with my brothers at GKCPC and will wait to hear what they say.

Pipe Used: Charatan Skater

Purchased From: Cigars International

Similar Blends: Five Brothers - Five Brothers.

To me, this is basically a burley blend, with the Kentucky, Perique, and even the Red Virginias lightly added condiments. The dark fruit topping is very lightly applied, and although it's a fairly standard ribbon cut, it burns very fast. A serviceable rather than interesting or special blend.

Pipe Used: briars, cobs, and meers

Age When Smoked: opened on delivery

Purchased From: pipes and cigars

Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

A really fine smoking experience. I've been a fan of Irish Flake since its release and enjoy a robust smoke, and what little I've been able to find referencing Irish tobacco blending practices, I find this topic very old-world. Upon opening the tin and taking a deep whiff, I get the smell of a freshly opened box of Del Monte's Dried Apricots. I don't get any anise as some have found. The cut was dry to the touch, but just right for packing and smoking. It took to the light very readily and smoked clean and dry to the heel. It reminded me very much of Erinmore Flake, but way better than Erinmore. I read an interview a while back where a long time Murray blender said the flavoring for Erinmore Flake was that of prune and apricot. I don't get the prune here, but I do get the apricot. I found the Erinmore to be a bit cloying, and although once a favorite, no longer is so. I smoke EF on rare occasion these days since I grew tired of the taste and found it nipped at my tongue a bit too much. War Horse is a different breed entirely. It has the strength of IrF and a very nice earhy, but sweet, fullness while smoking. I've never been a big fan of Perique, but I do detect its presence here and find it a very agreeable addition to the mix while adding a touch of spice to the tongue. Sweet all the way to the end, but not in a confectioner's way. The sweetness coupled with the earthiness is a combination I've not experienced before and find that I like it very much. An all around solid smoking experience with a pleasant room note to boot.

Pipe Used: Stanwell Featherweight Poker

Age When Smoked: Fresh from tin.

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars.com

Similar Blends: Erinmore Flake.

Adrian B. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Adrian B. (29)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

I almost hate to review this since it looks like it's going to be discontinued, but it's too good not to.

Earthy, nutty burley and a solid backing of Dark Fired are the main components. In particular, the smoky Dark Fired comes through loud an clear from start to finish just like I hoped it would. There seems to be a good bit of Virginia and Perique, as this blend has a decent amount of sweetness to it. Unlike a lot of your typical 'big Burley' blends which for me tend to be a bit sour sometimes. Full flavored and has good dose of nicotine, I like it first thing in the morning with my coffee but it could easily be an all day smoke for some.

Get some while you can; hopefully something will make these new FDA regs go away so STCoP can continue producing this gem.

Pipe Used: variety of cobs and briars

Age When Smoked: A month or so on the tin

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (161)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Too busy enjoying this to review it. Rather puff than type it. Well into my second tin in a row. Broke in three pipes with dozens of smokes. Best in Charatan Supreme of old. Very good in Wilke natural (by Nachwalter). Also excellent in Ferndown root (25 year old briar) but required 7+ bowls to get going as good as others. Great now. But this is not a pipe review; just showing slightly different tobacco behavior in different quality pipes.

My quality pipes are picky and I dare not break one in without confidence they are experiencing the best of the best. They will not forgive a rotten smoke.

Back to the baccy. This is an old time, burley blend. Not as strong now, per Russ, as the original years ago (plug may be, and it's coming). Good, as it is just north of medium IMO. Burley is nutty. The KFC kicks it up a notch and offers a little spice. Don't detect much Perique. Virginia restrains it some. Top note (coumarin?) is not real sweet but softens it out some more. No bite, but does burn quickly. Best not smoked in breeze I think.

The flavor is succulent and sort of chocolatey, with some spice in and out. Not mild; plenty rich to me. Not as strong as Bold Kentucky.

Recommended for burley puffers who want something past medium.

Pipe Used: Charatan, Ferndown, and Wilke

Age When Smoked: new tins

Purchased From: smokingpipes

Similar Blends: Edwards Good Companion, Ogden's Walnut Flake, Mac's Bold Kentucky, Silver Flake, original Pete's Irish Flake, and other mostly burley blends with some Virginia..

Sybariten Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sybariten (60)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable to Strong

Conclusion: I really like this. It packs a lot of flavour and even if it is not very complex, this straight shooter has yet to let me down.

Taste: A sugary sweetness, slight but still, that seems to come from the casing is first evident. Tobacco wise kentucky is the key ingredient, as it's smokey and earthy allure permeates the blend and really marries the sweetness mentioned. It creates almost a cacao like sum of the combined ingredients, reminiscent of maduro cigar leaf. As the bowl progresses the sweetness recedes a bit in favour of the darker, earthy side of the blend.

Mechanics: Ribbon, ready to smoke right out of the tin, no bite and medium nicotine.

Pipe Used: Various briars and cobs

Similar Blends: Scandinavian Tobacco Group (STG) - Greve Hamilton, Think greve Hamilton but with kentucky and a hint of vanilla(?) and you've got War Horse..

MrHooligan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MrHooligan (2)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

Got three tins early in my pipe smoking adventures when Pipes and Cigars had a special going on. Started out with one then ordered more after trying it. I feel it necessary to say I smoked cigarettes for a couple decades and cigars for the same period of time as well. Still smoking cigars and stopped the cigarettes almost a year ago now. Having said that, War horse ready cut seemed to give me enough nicotine and flavor to make that transition much easier. I like the flavor of this pipe tobacco so much that I smoke at least a bowl of it daily. Doesn't bite, room note isn't anything to write home about, the flavor keeps me intrigued even though it burns quickly. Not an experienced pipe smoker by any means, I do a lot of reading and research and learning about pipe tobaccos now because of this blend. The mixture of tobaccos here to my palate reveal a little Va tobacco with the other two players taking the lead and the spice I do quite like. It can become boring in large bowls like a General corn cob pipe but in a small to medium sized bowl makes for a good smoke. Found out that I like Dark fired Kentucky thanks to this blend as well so its helping to refine my search for a good blend with it as a lead player. Cheers!

Pipe Used: Mark Twain Cob MM Ozark hardwoods

Purchased From: https://www.pipesandcigars.com/

jhand45 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jhand45 (12)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I never smoked the original version of this blend. However, the original was reputidly popular in Belfast at the time when my great-grandfather smoked his pipe and I liked the thought of tapping into the type of blend he may have smoked (I have no idea if he actually did somke this).

The tin note is malty and sweet but the topping doesnt detract from the taste of the tobaccos. I read once that back in the day the difference between aromatic and non-aromatic was more of a scale and less or a binary and this blend, if true to the original, would support that theory.

When smoked, the tobacco is stout, the smoke thick and heavy. I enjoy this on cooler days as an alternative to an english blend and haven't been tempted to smoke it much over the summer. I can imagine it being a good friend while working on the cold Belfast docks of yesteryear.

I enjoyed this blend and certainly wouldnt rule out buying it again at some point, but its not one I feel the urge to stock up on in the short term.

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Standard Tobacco Company - War Horse Ready Cut.

A medium size ribbon that's mostly light and dark browns, with a couple of black specks. The moisture of the blend when fresh is good, and the tin-note is a little sharp.

What often deters me from blends with Kentucky is they can sometimes come across with a really harsh fire-cured flavour which seems caustic and leaves a horrible aftertaste. This, however, lacks that character. As many folks mention, it's the Burley that leads the flavour here, seeming quite raw, and rustic, but is supported well by other flavours. The Perique passes me by, I can't recognise much dark fruit, or spice from it. The Virginia, pleasantly, gives the mix a notable sweetness, and slight sprightliness. Regarding the added flavours, I can taste something extra, albeit, it's too faint to be able to quantify. I can't fault the burn, and the smoke's cool and bite-free.

Nicotine: medium to strong. Room-note: pleasant enough.

War Horse Ready Cut: a blend with just enough Kentucky to add flavour to the smoke without ruining it. Recommended:

Three stars.

Pipe Used: Peterson Summertime 2017 XL02

Purchased From: Cup O' Joes

MarkTheLad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MarkTheLad (29)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I ordered this after reading the reviews on it, thinking it was right up my alley. Boy was I right, Warhorse is medium in the vitamin N dept. and oh so smooth. The leaf seems to be of good quality, as with all of the other blends from SToP tobacco. It seems to have just the right amount of perique in it and the perique is a perfect balance between spicy and sweet. The burley gives a nutty and sometimes sweet flavor that melds perfectly with the musky smokiness of the DFK. This may have some type of sweet topping in it and it seems familiar to me, but it is so weak that I cannot discern exactly what it is. It burns without effort and requires few relights. The moisture content is perfect for packing and smoking right out of the tin. It is a flawless smoke for me and I always keep a tin in my rotation, in fact this is one that I'm cellaring.

Pipe Used: Various

Age When Smoked: 1 Month

Purchased From: PipesandCigars.com

canvas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
canvas (97)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable

I had no expectations with this one, I simply bought it to complete an order as it was on sale. It has a pleasant "wet hay" or barn odor, similar to Escudo Navy De Luxe or Orlik Golden Sliced, though a bit more dialed back.

It sparked up instantly into a light-medium smoke without much specific flavor. It was in no way offensive, just sort of there. My mouth was also left feeling a bit burnt out after the bowl.

Sometimes I'm in the mood for a no frills smoke, but this one failed me by burning way too quickly and reminded me more of a cheap cigar or stale cigarette.

Similar Blends: Escudo Navy De Luxe or Orlik Golden Sliced.

luvinthepipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
luvinthepipe (26)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Overwhelming

the burley is ashy, and a little stale nutty with a strong, bold muddiness. The burley has no sweetness, though I noticed it get somehow more bitter after a few puffs. the rest of the time, you'll discern the other aspects of the ashiness that I mentioned. The ash tray flavor of the dark-fired Kentucky is a major component although sweet virginia must be in there yet never seems to play a part in the proceedings. Perique provides plum and fig in what might be the only pleasurable flavor in this mixture. There is no added flavoring or topping which I can discern. I would recommend no bowl at all to enjoy this tobacco. This can only be enjoyed by looking at the can. Perhaps the Dark Fired Kentucky just isn't my thing. I'm not going to comment on the quality of the tobacco because taste is the the quality I value highest. While this tobacco is loaded in flavor, it's just not pleasurable flavor. I quit cigarettes long ago and this tobacco reminded me of some real bad cigarettes I smoked when traveling through south east asia 25 years ago. Perhaps you'll like it. People like different things. I enjoy tobacco with sweetness. I found none in this. This tobacco is dry and no moisture is left in the bowl. It burns to a nice dry white ash and makes plenty of smoke. This would not be an all day smoke for me. I have tried it in 4 different pipes on 4 different days. The result was always the same.