A basic mixture of Mottled Red Leaf Virginia and Carolina, with a small amount of Havana leaf and Turkish. Kentucky is added to achieve a balanced effect. Everything is mixed, stored for some days to be fully merged and then pressed in cold for several weeks while this process is achieved in a natural way to harmonize and made a very slow burning Flake.

BrandRobert McConnell
Blended ByKohlhase, Kopp und Co. KG
ContentsCigar Leaf, Oriental/Turkish, Kentucky, Virginia
Strength
Taste

3.1
DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (90)

It's unusual to come across a blend of this many tobaccos with this kind of flavor clarity. And I agree that Scottish Flake is a peculiar combination of leaf. Like most Virginia dominant flakes, this McConnell offering is best smoked at a slow sip and with a clean palate. The flakes are delicately pressed and the thin cut makes for an excellent fold and stuff tobacco. It performs wonderfully, it’s simple to prepare and takes to flame with ease. It smokes relatively cool, is fairly forgiving and does not bitter when puffed at a faster pace.

Scottish Flake has a warm tone and smokes with a lightly-sweet honey note and substantial flavor depth. The majority of the sweetness is provided by the red Virginia and Turkish. The other components add body without overtly influencing the overall flavor. The mouth-feel is on the lighter side but there is a definite texture to the smoke as well as a pleasing spiciness. By mid bowl, flavors broaden and ultimately Scottish Flake settles into a gratifying smoke that’s medium in body, superbly balanced and consistently sweet from beginning to end.

Scottish Flake is not incredibly complex but there are some interesting subtleties created by the compounding of flavors that make this tobacco stand out as something entirely unique and worth pursuing. Good stuff, and it ages superbly.

Pipe Used: Briar

Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This is a strange combination of tobaccos that somehow works. I am no blender and would not even try my hand at it. So, kudos to whoever mixed the first batch of this stuff. It is one of the best tobaccos I've ever had the pleasure of loading a pipe with! I knew I'd like the stuff the moment I popped the tin and saw the oily residue all over the wax paper overwrap and smelled the fermented bouquet of soured figs.

It is unique in that while being a pressed Virginia flake, it is actually much more than that. The addition of oriental leaf kept this soft and smooth. And, thanks to the Burley and quality Virginias it was cool and packed just enough nicotine punch to keep me happy. It rubbed out easily but the moisture content meant a half hour in the open air before being able to load up.

I really cannot think of anything to compare this to. You will be able to taste all of the elements, for sure. Upon finishing my first bowlful, my tongue curled up into a question mark. Not sure what I just had, but it was delicious. If this was thrust upon me as the only tobacco I'd be allowed to smoke for the rest of my life, I'd grin and bear it with pleasure!

O'Confrère Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
O'Confrère (31)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

There is nothing quite like rubbing out a K&K flake. The flakes are beautifully and evenly cut and inevitably expand to a surprising quantity of springy and easily workable ribbon. The moisture is such that one can smoke it as it comes, although it does profit from a small amount of drying. There are no humectants here so that if you're looking to smoke it occasionally you might want to put it in a container to keep it if from drying out.

The German tin says Red Virginia, Carolina, Kentucky and a pinch of Turkish, cold pressed for several weeks, and includes the description 'robust and full-flavored (or spicy),' which hits the mark exactly. At the moment the K&K website says dark Virginias, Kentucky and a pinch of Perique, lightly flavored with rum. Have they changed the blend?

There is something about this straight forward, no-nonsense flake that is 'old- timey' to me. Whatever that means...

Nothing else to add to the excellent reviews below, except to reiterate: A good blend with a friendly nudge of nicotine, SF is rich, full-bodied, bold tasting (as DK says) yet mild and cool; a pleasure, and as interesting as you want it to be. And, as mentioned often below, it definitely profits from time in the tin! Don't know what makes this Scottish, but this gets my vote. Three stars from a fresh tin, four when aged. Give this one a whirl!

Very pleasant thinly sliced brown flake, sweet tasting and rich but mild. I always love when a tobacco smokes mild and cool but has a nice bold flavor. This one accomplishes that.

This one did not bite my tongue unless I puffer fairly hard. A nice slow contemplative puffer will have no problems with sting. This is mildly sweet but not overly so. This is a fully serviceable smoke, and suffers only in relation to "superstar" VA flakes like FVF. It ages well, and I honestly would give 4 stars to my 15 year old tin but just three for a tin from 2008. Aging is recommended on this one, but even from a new tin, I wouldn't kick it outta my bowl.

Shane Ireland Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Shane Ireland (8)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Surely any who have tried either the original McConnell Scottish Flake, or the first iteration blended in Germany, would rate it near the top of their list of all-time favorites. K&K have changed the blend (my guess would be due to availability of some original components) but they have done so expertly and with my supply of old Scottish Flake dwindling, it just so happens that the current version IS the closest substitute (which is not always the case). I have plenty in the cellar and while it satisfies directly off the shelf, even a few years will do wonders for this blend. Older recipe or current, this is still my all-time favorite tobacco.

Age When Smoked: Fresh, very old, and everything in-between

The Punisher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Punisher (44)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Update

Surprisingly, this is the only tobacco so far that does not do well with aging. I've opened a 2 1/2 years tin and it has considerably dried out.

Original review - 11/27/2007

I would be very surprised that this breed bares any turkish, Havana or medium Kentucky...for the sake of clarity, the tin description says: "Medium strength red virginia,naturally sweet".

And the taste is of sweet, matured red virginia, I did not detect anything else.

Scottish flake is a medium brown and red flake contained in a very conservative looking tin. The tobacco aroma is that of a fine port.

Smoking is indeed deliciously sweet, combined with the reliable and comforting taste of high quality matured virginias. I've noticed that past mid-bowl, the flavor becomes sweeter, without sacrificing the virginia taste.

A great companion to complete the true joys of a philosophy treaty and a fine glass of Cognac.

speaknott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
speaknott (4)
Very Mild None Detected Mild Unnoticeable

This tobacco comes in a long loose flake form, very easy to rub out. It has a natural sweetness, but is very mild to my palate. Burns down to a gray speckled ash. Overall, not very complex, but not a bad tobacco.

Pipe Used: Fe.Ro Bent Billiard

ELF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ELF (40)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Very Pleasant

This is Fantastic,Tobacco.Was Trying to get my hands,on this Weed for Months. Finally got some;from my Tobacconist(Wpg/Canada)Wowza,,Awesome..This is nice,Folded..Or RubbedOut.This is reminiscent,of Erinmore(Flake)Original Recipe(Still Blended,by Murrays)I went Thru 50g(tin),in under 2days.The tin Smell..is Perique+StewedTomatoes(MatureVa)Very smooth-FullFlavor ///I promptly Returned+Bought 2moreTins..TRYing2Cellar..at Least One Tin..for a Couple of Years(Likely Won't Happen..Oh Well) 4STARS !!!-)

Pipe Used: Lorenzetti(Tempesta)9mm

Age When Smoked: New Tin

Purchased From: Shefield and Sons/CityPlace//Wpg.Canada

Similar Blends: Escudo/ErimoreFlake(MurraysOrig.Blend).

Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Robert McConnell Scottish Flake . The actual flakes are of perfect thickness and give off a naturally sweet aroma which is very enticing . Rubbing and filling is perfectly easy with this one too . Lighting is simple and does not keep going out either . The smoke is lovely and not too heavy as well as giving no bite with a nice nicotine level . It has a great almost "sweet" taste to it and you can identify clearly the different tobaccos used . Very nice indeed !

Pipe Used: Peterson

Purchased From: Smoke King

Tudorcfr90 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tudorcfr90 (4)
Medium Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Bought it today after finishing a tin of Oriental, also from McConnell. I haven't smoked a flake in a while now and, since University Flake wasn't available, I chose this (in fact it wasn't much of a choice, this being the only flake available in the respective tobacco shop). Upon opening the tin, the flakes were pretty dry and had the smell of freshly mowed grass with a hint of plums. The tobacco taste after the lighting was of pure Virginia with a small spicy taste from the Turkish. If this is made from an original Scottish recipe then I would say that the Scots prefer milder tobaccos than the Irish. I found this a little milder than University Flake and way milder than Irish Flake. But this is a good tobacco, great to smoke anytime and anywhere. My sincere congratulations to the blenders. This officially became my substitute when I cannot find University Flake.

tmoney Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tmoney (24)
Mild Mild Very Mild Tolerable

The name is O; Pinochi-O. And here I am, Smoking this pipe... as a real boy. When I take in puffs of smoke I am reminded of my night of Mayhem that I had on a little place called "Pleasure Island."

I was supposed to be on a mission to lead a good, honest and selfless life to make myself into a boy of flesh, but Pleasure Island presented far too many opportunities. Opportunities to Get laid, smoke, play pool, get wasted, ride roller coasters, and kill whoever you wanted. I couldnt pass it up. I remember the whole time my conscience Jiminy kept giving me the same old stupid lecture he always gave about doing right and letting my conscience be my guide... I got so sick of his crap, you know. I told the stupid cricket to shove it. He wasn't my boss and were he to be in my shoes, he would be all over that cricket tail. Stupid bug thought he could control me. Jiminy was the biggest joy-killing cock block in the world. GOOOOSHHH.... Couln't ever have fun with that hardass always chirpin down my neck!

Pleasure Island was a trip! When we got there my new best friend, Lampwick and I decided to get laid. So we found some action at the Pleasure Saloon. Then on our way out we killed a man just cause of the way his face looked. Now you may be asking yourself how does a wooden boy get up?.... I lie. Thats how!

I gotta say Lampwick was a real cool guy, he was his own boss and really knew how to have a good time. Didn't have to take order from some know-it-all cricket. I really liked that about him. He did his thing. After that we went to play some pool while we got hammered drunk and did a couple lines of coke.

Jiminy started to screw with my head while we played pool telling me the island was cursed, told me that Lampwick was turning into a Donkey. But you know, Lampwick always looked like a donkey, so i wasnt convinced til i started to grow a tail, myself. I hated it when Jiminy was right! We eventually escaped that place, but not before I took some angel dust to resell in the village back home. Jiminy had the bright idea of us jumpin into the ocean to get off the island. that idiot, I almost got waterlogged. Jiminy was such a tool.

Once I got home and became a real boy, the first thing I did was smoke Scottish Flake! And Jiminy kept being a pain, still trying to make moral suggestions to me and I got real sick of it. So one day one the way to school I threw that creep into a spider web and left him there to die. He swore vengeance on me, but I dont see that happening any time soon!

P-O out!

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (126)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Dark Virginia spiced up with Kentucky and a sprinkle of Perique with a very mild rum flavoring. The flakes are hard to remove from the tin without breaking them. Nice smell of figs and plums.

Lighting the tobacco is easy and it burns slowly and constantly. I get a well rounded sweet, toasty and slightly spicy smoke with rum molasses in the background. It is much better than Old Gowrie in both strength and taste.

Jacinto Cupboard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jacinto Cupboard (67)

My tin, presumably recent, makes no mention of any tobacco other than Red Virginia. I can't taste anything else in there.

These are squarish mid brown flakes with specks of bright leaf. The flakes are very loose. The tin note is quite mild with a hint of molasses.

Rubs out easily and takes a light well. This is a moderate smoke with some sweetness and spice on the nose. I found it burnt a little on the hot and wet side, but is not harsh on the tongue.

Edit 24/8/14. I've decided to up this to 3 stars. There is a no nonsense clarity to this tobacco that is really refreshing.

Pipe Used: Lepeltier

Similar Blends: F&T Cut Blended Plug.

22yrsonthepipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
22yrsonthepipe (21)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant

I get the feeling this stuff has changed over time and is now a completely different blend. My tin says "Dark red Virginia slices, medium strength, naturally sweet (made in Germany)"

Which is exactly what it is, no stained paper, Turkish, Havana or Kentucky in my tin, unfortunately.

Reminds me of Astleys #44. Very sweet, slight hint of vanilla, monochromatic, cigarette-ish, disappointing. If straight up red virginia is your thing, then consider it 3 stars instead of 2.

Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Mmmm, this review is from an aged tin. The Virginia has become quite dark, but the taste has not become particularly richer or deeper. Very little fruit, very little tanginess, very little caramelized goodness. It's rather gray, ashy, flat, cardboardy. Not bad, mind you, but simply monochromatic and austere. I can't detect the Kentucky, but probably I do detect the cigar leaf a bit with its earthy notes (although it's quite a subtle presence): this particular earthy creaminess would probably be loved by aficionados of the (heavier and very old) Sobranie Virgnia N. 10.

Reminds me a bit of Presbyterian: probably there's quite a bit of Orientals here. Anyway, I seem not to be a fan of Virginia + Orientals without Latakia, with the exception of the stunning Ashton/Robert McConnell Old London Pebble Cut (which is extraordinary thanks to its fruitiness... and probably the generous amount of Perique too).

Anyway, it burns cool and even, and the flakes are compact and toughly pressed, so you can crumble them as you see fit.

Decent, but I won't buy it again: too many more flavorful alternatives around.

FFDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FFDan (4)

As speculated below, "At the moment the K&K website says dark Virginias, Kentucky and a pinch of Perique, lightly flavored with rum. Have they changed the blend?"

My tin's back sticker states "Dark Red Virginia slices, medium strength, naturally sweet"

I just received a tin today and it indeed smells strongly of rum..in fact, it came in the same tin and with the same inside paper as my F&T Special Brown Flake, which also has rum. For a second, I was worried they were the same flake, but upon further inspection, they are not. Maybe the reds are just giving off a rum-like tang? I do not detect any scents of turkish or cigar, but this could be due to the heavy rum lingering in the tin. I am letting this one air out a bit, which I found really livened up my F&T blend.

Review to come. The heat index today is 100 and I find this to be a bit much for enjoying myself outside. I will be happy with the ingredients of the new blend, as I knew this may be the case when I bought it, but truthfully I bought it for what is listed on this website.

leafy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
leafy (4)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

I have recently realized a simple technique for the preparation of pipe tobacco flakes which has recreated my (mainly 9mm filter) pipe smoking enjoyment to a notable degree. Many reviewers on site remark on the desirability of airing and even of drying out divers blends before smoking. This is, IMHO, an error. The friable condition of Scottish Flake, as received, and its subsequent further dehydration led me to what I now consider to be a masterstroke. Using a thin sponge to which a small quantity of mineral water is applied, the sponge not dripping but moist, the flakes are hydrated in situ, in the tin. The flakes may be turned in the stack before retiring and should be found to be evenly moistened on the following day. The product of this action is at once realized to be a boon. Previously, we regarded hydration of this sort as a therapy for dried up tobacco, for resuscitation, but now, by virtue of pre- hydration, the mollified tobacco is a consistent delight to smoke. Where formerly, the first half of the pipe was somewhat 'bread and bread' followed by more engagement with the smoking experience in the second and perhaps the enjoyment of a juicy heel, we now experience a gratifying smoke which quickly delivers taste and flavour without harshness or bite and which exhibits a satisfying and homogenous character throughout the smoke. At once, your pipe is more of a pal and you look forward confidently to more congenial flake smoking than previously known. After practicing this course for a month, I am now convinced of its value and would estimate my pipe smoking enjoyment to be 50% to 70% enhanced. I preclude any prospect of smoking a flake blend without this timely tip for treatment and strongly recommend smokers to try it. Here's why; Flake tobacco, as received, could be said to be in a torpid condition. The moisture present is locked up in the tar and oil of the tobacco. Prehydration of the flakes avoids the repeated tussle with that locked in moisture and opens the door to pipe smoking bliss. Experience it and you know that this is how the blend should perform. Hydrate!

Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (111)

I wasn't sure what to expect from this one as it was my first foray into the world of McConnell's tobaccos, however the wee tin gave me a slightly larger, if less cute, reminder of Holger Danske's Royal Navy Flake.

The tin aroma, upon opening, is something similar to that fine virginia flake, if more mild. The packing and lighting on this are of supreme ease, probably the easiest for any flake I've tried so far, so hat's off there to Mr McConnell. The flavour of the smoke, not sure on this one, hints of toffee and lemon perhaps.

This one can't help reminding me of Royal Navy Flake but not in the best way. The small tin, the tin aroma and the flavour seem to be too similar for comfort for me. Who came up with which tobacco first, I don't know. This is a good tobacco on it's own merit, don't get me wrong, but Royal Navy Flake would be my preference.

My tin was from 2000, and there was some fermentation and nice, browned crispy paper going on when I opened it. I smoked the tin pretty fast. Reminded me of Samuel Gawith, but one of those without any Lakeland flavorings. This was a great, mild (but not too mild) Virginia smoke, and I will look for more aged tins. The price of this brand and the fact that you can't get it in bulk keeps me from trying too many of them, but if all McConnells are like this, it still wouldn't be a waste of money. Flakes were moderately dark and fairly unbroken, though all my flakes end up broken before I smoke them; that's just me! The mouthfeel was pleasant with no bite, and it did well in all size pipes, though I found it best in a medium with a fairly narrow chamber. This is one of many tobaccos I could go to four stars on, but when I've only smoked one tin, and love it but don't find anything to really set it apart (like with FVF, where I smoked a whole pound and more and never got a less than excellent bowl) I always leave the rating at three stars just to be conservative. I really need newer production to compare this to, but still obviously it ages well in the tin (and I love these tiny, compact rectangular tins!) having developed that fine fermented flavor. Not sure what makes it Scottish, but it is at least a British Isles style flake, though devoid of any of those flowery scentings. At this age, it did have that mild, winey matured Virginia taste, but with just enough of a nip (not a bite, a nip!) to let one know it started as a red Virginia. I highly recommend it to lovers of this type of flake.

N7COF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
N7COF (56)

I picked up a 2005 vintage of this at last weekends West Coast Pipe Show - aged very well and need to get more!

TEO Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TEO (26)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I forgot a flake of this bomb out of the tin and I fell asleep...when i reached it this evening it was completely dried out...I feared it could be an evil weed...tplus I didn't want to rehidr it and ruin it...I smoked it as it was...and it is a great one friends...really fresh and herby, never a bite, with just a little care in puffing. All that floral bouquet and figs and raisins I can smell out of the tin doesn't disappear but stay in the background as this great Virginia grows up and fill my nose and mind.

Recommended, no doubt!

SergentPepper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SergentPepper (5)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Well, frankly speaking ? I'm in love with this tobacco... It's REAL tobacco. The base is Virginia, a bit spicy with Orientals (Turkish). Of course, if one is looking for a very aromatic blend, one can be disapointed. Then, let me ask you something: Why don't you try candies instead of smoking a pipe ;-). I could simply smell the openned tin for hours... Figs ? Yes ! I can smoke it all day (and night) long: just perfect. If you smoke cigarettes and like "english taste" (Dunhill, JPS, Benson & Hedge, Rothmans, Craven A), just give it a try and you'll quit smoking (cigarettes, of course !) as fast as the speed of light. I love it !

pipealicious Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipealicious (21)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

This blend was recommended to me as something comparable to teh musty-sweet damp hay flavors of Old Gowrie, which I like a lot. The tin contains nice small flakes and smells sour-sweet. It reminds me of dried figs. The flakes need some drying before smoking but smoke slowly and cool. The taste is quite sweet and retains this fig like undertone. It is somehow fresher and slighly sweeter than Old Gowrie, but very enjoyable as well. Something to come back to.

jazzmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jazzmoke (57)

A fine Scottish blend. Balanced and tasty. The only thing I didn't like was the "shape" of the flakes, it seemed more like loosened up and pressed again tobacco. There is no way of separating the flakes without braking them. It is highly similar to MacBarren Scotish Blend, but I tend to like this one more.

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

Despite some inconsistencies from tin to tin, it still is worth the try.

Again, the tin aroma and taste is similar to Astley's 44 and Hal O' The Wynd. Which is no surprise considering K&K is the manufacturer for all these tobacco houses.

Almost overly sweet in some tins and dryer and harsher in others. And a good balance in others.

I am not sure I will rebuy due to the inconsistencies. But the good tins were very pleasant.

ynrozturk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ynrozturk (40)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Since I am a VA lover I just had to give this one a go.

The flakes themselves are sliced very thin and are very handsome. Tin smell is grassy and natural. They've done a nice job with the packaging. So far, so good.

I usually rub out my flakes these days. From my experience, I seem to draw more flavor out of them when partially rubbed. That's what I did with this tobacco, and it responded well to being rubbed out. Moisture levels out of the tin were spot on for me, being just a tad moist, but without having to air it out.

I packed into a Peterson Rathbone and lit up. Holds to a flame well - one tamp and I was off.

The taste is really quite hard to describe. It's VA for sure (obviously) but so much deeper, with a lot of small, subtle notes in the background. The figs are there for sure, but only a tiny percentage.

One thing that fascinated me was that even though it doesn't say so on the tin, I could swear that there is Turkish tobacco in this. I know that taste and smell very, very well, and it's present during the entire smoke. Not a bad thing, really, as it gives some nice spice, but it does in a way remind me of cigarette smoke.

Burns slow, burns cool, but it did gurgle on me a bit.

It's bold, deep and creamy. I would say that it's more earthy and not as fresh as one would expect a VA to be. It's just a really good, satisfying smoke, with just the right amount of nicotine levels.

ivycap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ivycap (63)

Fig/ straw-like and naturally sweet as a matured virginia should be. Very pleasant and interesting. Perfect, thinly sliced flakes in the tin. High in nicotine. Don't smoke on an empty stomach.

shihan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
shihan (22)

Nice, dark, thin flakes. Packed easy, burned cool, good flavor. Gave a pleasant room note. A good Virginia flake.

Alguhan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alguhan (140)

I feel bad that I did not try this great blend before.

The flakes are dark in color, with a wonderful, pure, grassy sweet, soure fig like, Virginia smell. The flavors are just what I was searching for. The flakes have a high humidity level, so I aired the stuff. The airing settled also the flavors for sure. Flakes pack well. It burns well. Smokes cool. I personally didn't detect any casing. Beside the quality Virginia I enjoyed a spicy flavor which I think means a Turkish addition and somehow a perfectly balanced addition of Burley maybe. The overall smoking experience of this tobacco is great. Offers all the satisfaction of a true pipe tobacco. I highly recommend it.

Archangel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Archangel (22)

K & K's Website states that this flake contains red Virginia, Kentucky and some Périque. The casing, or I would suspect topping rather, is rum.

The flakes are medium brown and may be the only tobacco that I own, so far, that does not do well with aging. After opening a 2 1/2 years old tin, the flakes had not darkened and they were rather dry. The other tin that I had opened displayed the same characteristics. Maybe I ended up with some overly dried tins when I purchased them?

The rum topping is noticeable to the nose and is dominant when lighting up and smoking. It will steal the show for the most part of the duration, whereas the red Va and Kentucky will remain in the background - actually the Kentucky's presence is extremely faint, I can hardly detect it.

These flakes are definitively sweet rather than spicy and I can't assess if this is due to the topping or the red VAs. Probably both.If you do not fancy sweet tobaccos, you should avoid this one.

In fact, there is something ackward about the taste. It burns very well though and does not become damp or sticky.

I bought five tins and have 2 1/2 left. I will not rebuy more.

firstsealord Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
firstsealord (22)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

The tin says "Dark red Virginia slices, medium strength, naturally sweet".

The manufacturer's website says: "Virginia with kentucky and Perique"

A strange cookie that works well somehow for a change of pace.

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (155)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

In conclusion to the list of Virginia based blends by McConnell, here my review to Scottish Flake.

The small rectangular tin contains something as a dozen of large & thin flakes. The tin aroma is deliciously of sweet fresh hay, green tea and a faint alcoholic topping.

As per the K&K site description, we are talking of a medium strength flake composed of dark Virginias, Kentucky and a pinch of Perique, mildly topped with Rhum. I subscribe this being more accurate than the italian distributor's calling for a more complicate combination of Red Mottled Virginia + Carolina + Turkish Oriental + Havana + Kentucky ... I would appreciate the experienced reviewers in the TR community to comment over this.

One flake has been loaded just folded ( a' la Mc Baren) into a narrow bowl of a straight Castello, lovat shape. The humidity seems just right, I have not faced any particular charring problem.

The smoke is immediately smooth and very much refreshing. Unmistakably a Virginia flake in the best tradition, faintly fruity/sweet, with just hints of earthy/salty Kentucky and a very pleasant citrusy note. It burns cool and slow, not much volume, the pipe stays very cool. It pleasantly comes to the nostril woody and peppery. Perique and Rhum are used very sparingly, just to refine the blend. Reaching the mid-bowl mark, the blend starts displaying a wider and softer body, the smoke gets creamier and stronger. No gurgle, the ashes are very dry. The tongue is pleasantly tickled, the palate remains clean.

A medium-small bowl like this means one hour - and even longer - experience, which I found very rewarding. As a comparison, I would think mainly to Rattray's HOTW but milder, or to a brother of Orlick's Golden Sliced just a bit "spicier".

SF doesn't reach the four star rating, but goes near. I shall stock more tins.

Boomer-Z Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Boomer-Z (22)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a nice easy smoking tobacco. I have it in my regular rotation. Packs easily, burns well, and my significant other doesn't mind the smell. I would recommend trying it. It did seem a little pricey for the little tin, but overall I think it was worth it.

Tallman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tallman (35)

I still consider myself a new pipe smoker after a year...but, wanting to try things other than aromatics, and based on reviews here, I bought a tin of this. I'm happy I did! It rubbed out easily-using the Frank method for the first time, it packed and lit easily-and smoked like a dream. Sweet Virginia taste, lots of smoke, few re-lights, and an overall very pleasant smoke! I encourage you to try this one, it's a keeper!

Psyktek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Psyktek (20)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

"Coal to Newcastle" could be the title of this review, since there are plenty here already. But I liked this so well that I have to comment. I'm not generally a "straight Virginia" smoker. I like my latakia and perique and usually don't care for blends without them. This tobacco changed my mind. On opening the tin, I found these lovely, thin and lightly moist flakes. Easily folded, crumbled, rolled into a ball, they lit nicely and burned well. I quickly found that if I hurried, my tongue would get a quick message telling me to slow down. Once I did, a wonderful flavor and volumes of smoke were the results. After just one bowl, this has a place in my regular rotation. Now to try some of the other McConnell blends.

orka Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
orka (52)

Scottish Flake came as a pleasant surprise, and for me as well, it is indeed strange that I didn't get around to trying it sooner. I guess I've always thought of RMC tobaccos as too underwhelming. But I'm glad I tried this. Its thick, lusciously sweet and spicy smoke hasn't let me down yet. To my surprise there was also a strong oriental (Turkish) presence, and while I usually don't find this very appealing, it works great with S.F. Very flavoursome stuff. Perhaps not the most potent in nicotine I've smoked, but the good and enjoyable taste makes up for it. Also, I can't say I find much resemblence between this and Scottish Cake (S.F is much better in my opinion).

Tin aroma is sweet and fruity, rich and redwine-like. The tobacco comes rather moist, but behaves perfectly well after folding. No excessive moisture buildup disturbing the peace. Sadly, the tin doesn't hold moisture very well (typical of all K+K 50g flake tobacco tins), and it does seem to lose a little of that delicious flavour as time goes by. A solid three stars never the less. It has a good unit price, too, which is never a bad thing.

frankluke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
frankluke (17)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

i'm a big fan of scottish cake and for the life of me i can't understand why i've never tried this blend until a few weeks ago. you can't go wrong with SF, it smokes sweet and cool. by far the most underrated blend from the K&K blending house.

Scottish Steve Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Scottish Steve (14)

Addendum:- After a couple of years of pipe-smoking, my palate/mouth seems to've become more able to deal with more robust tobacco and I have to say that this is now a little too mild for my taste. Its as if the volume has been reduced gradually and after returning to this blend, I had to blend it with a more robust tobacco (Revor Plug). I think/hope my original comments are still valid.

I like McConnell's Sc. Flake very much. preferring it to Scottish Cake, as it seems more honest and less honeyed or topped. There is a creamy, butterscotch mouth-feel, but its not overtly syrupy or unnatural and still has that "brown" tobacco goodness. This could almost be a fine cigar, re-worked for a briar, with slight chocolate & vanilla overtones which don't overwhelm the main body of the smoke, which is subtle yet satisfying. It always has me wanting more and I find myself anticipating the bottom 1/3 of the bowl, where it gets richer and at times somewhat caramelised, in a very pleasing way. I find this easy to manage when well-rubbed and is a fine smoke, tho I too experienced the "mashed-up flake" problem, which was a tiny bit exasperating after several tins of perfectly prepared McB's Navy Flake. The most important thing about this to my mind is, it doesn't try too hard, having confidence in the smoker's palate. I could imagine some smokers wanting this a bit stronger and think a couple of strands of Peterson's Irish Flake would darken and and enrich this beautifully.

Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

As one who tends to burley I had my reservations on this one but I recieved some in a trade and I will try anything as sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised. I am just that with this one. Robert McC just seems to be an excellent blender. As his others, this one is nice and cool smoking, very flavorable, and burns right to the bottom leaving a grey ash with no gunk or wetness. This blend was made to smoke in a Pete as I did and I was lulled into a nice relaxing smoke and when I hit bottom, I yearned for another bowl. I am always impressed when I get a VA that causes no tongue bite as I tend to get it from VA's but not this one. I have to give it four star for being so gentle yet so full of a creamy sweetness that just performed all the way down. Highly reccommended!

hagen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hagen (91)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

latest update: going through my reviews here, i find that i'll have to downgrade a good deal of the praise i've given so many blends. 4 stars should, i feel, be reserved for the blends i find truly exceptional. so, this is downgraded a bit. end update.

updated review: okay, i surrendered out of curiosity, to the brutal method of "baking" a tin of s.f. - and the change was radical. not only did it develop some deep natural fruity notes it had been missing, it also suddenly appeared a good deal stronger. a very nicely balanced tobacco for smoking in the afternoon, really. oh, and do yourself the favour of smoking it in a rather narrow bowl, as the flake is thinly sliced.

upgraded from 3 to 4 stars.

original review: tin aroma: fruity, winey, raisins. a topping is present, but not in a way that scares me away. i find it quite inviting, as it seems to accentuate the kind of notes you get from an aged flue cured tobacco.

the rather light brown flakes pack and light easily - and then comes the disappointment: this virginia is rather flat and monocromattically sweetish in taste for the first half of the bowl. i think it could have done with some more aging to match the topping. also, i seem to sense some of that infernal propylene glycol. still, smoked slowly and carefully, the second half gets a lot more interesting, it gains in strength and flavour, and it ends up as a very nice smoke, with a hint of kentucky and turkish. the room note, though, was not appreciated by my wife for the last third of the bowl...

not the most interesting of tobaccos, perhaps, but quite decent. it will almost certainly benefit greatly from a few years of aging (if there's not too much topping and pg in it). i may be back with further comments by then!

cut-shot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cut-shot (10)
Medium None Detected Full Very Pleasant

Ahh, Scottish Flake what a wonderful tobacco! The smoke is so full and satisfying right down to the bottom of the bowl. Rich smokey, creamy and never bites always clean burning. I would highly recommend this tobacco. One of my all time favorites!

IHT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
IHT (15)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

My impressions are from a large sample a "Pardner" sent me, was from the mid to late 90s.

I'm not someone that normally seeks out or enjoys a "kitchen sink" type of tobacco, where every known weed is thrown in to the mixture, but this one works and is excellent.

Very smooth, and initally started off like GH&Co Broken Scotch Cake (which is a lakeland scented VA flake). after that, it gave way to a nearly syrupy sweetness, not like a nasty goopy aromatic, mind you... almost like it coats the tongue with a sweetness. Again, it's silky smooth, with a little tingle if you push it out the nose, where you can catch a little floral notes. It's got a little nicotine hiding in it for those of you that require that feeling.

Too bad "Pardner" didn't send me the entire tin!

Sasquatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sasquatch (65)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

This is delicious. Creamy and sweet - a lovely virginia. No tongue bite, no worries. I loaded 2 flakes into a Peterson 606, with room to spare. Smoked it for probably 2 hours, over a period of 2 days. Finally dumped the pipe and found quite a bit of tobacco at the bottom! A very slow smoking weed indeed, and friendly all the way.

It's not complicated, just tasty. I like it better than Scot Cake and will order more.

Slow Triathlete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Slow Triathlete (48)

I guess that I have been spoiled with too much Scottish Cake. I picked this tin up when the local B & M was out of Cake just to see how this one compared.

Like some of the other reviewers have stated, most of my flakes were stuck together so there was no way for me to fold and pack this one. I ended up having to rub out most of it. Maybe this detracted from the taste because I found this blend to be a bit boring.

The taste was pretty monochromatic through the whole thing. There were no surprises, which could be a good thing or a bad thing.

I didn't find it to be Scottish Cake without the Perique but rather a different blend all together. Straight Virginia smokers should really like this blend. Smokers who prefer some kind of spice added will find this one subpar.

Pseudo Nim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pseudo Nim (96)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

Thanks to this site, I have strayed from the usual offerings of Sam Gawith and tried a few Rob McConells, this being one of them, and I love it !!!! from the moment I lit up I knew this was going to be a good one, and a couple of tins later, nothing has changed my opinion, a smooth light,slightly on the sweet side easy going smoke with a nice creamy taste which reminds me somewhat of Dunhill Light Flake, though a little more fuller in flavour.

An excellent eye opener and good daytime smoke, flake during the day and Cake for the evening.

Having said all that, there are a couple of cons, but nothing that would stop me from buying it, the first being the "orangey" aroma exuding from the tin, I like a pure tobacco smell, but as I'm more into burning than sniffing, thats only a minor, the second being that the flakes in both tins so far are all stuck together, and as the tobacco is quite dry, they must have gone in pretty wet. So in order to get any out, I find I have to take the whole lump out and break a peice off to rub out, finaly, maybe it's me, I do get a few gurgles from this one, (in the first quarter of the bowl) even though it's pretty dry, so I always make sure I have plenty of pipe cleaners on hand for this.

Burns a little faster than I would like, but then this is one of those tobacco's that I want to go on and on.

All in all, the taste outweighs any drawbacks, will definately keep a few tins of this on hand. Four well deserved stars, and come to think of it, this might well be a good one for new smokers of the pipe (I hate the term Newbie's) and for aromatic smokers looking for a good quality flake.

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Full Pleasant

I picked up a tin of Scot Flake seeing PipeStud had marked it higher than Scot Cake. On first impressions, I thought, "this is just 633 (Solani) without the Perique". By the end of the tin, it had surpassed 633 (a good quality VA flake) and was up there with Capstan and Marlin Flake as one of my fav's...it's as if it's a flake version of Old Gowrie and Scottish Cake mixed together...either way a solid VA flake...However I have yet to pop my tins of FVF yet so I can't really measure it against the definitive benchmark.

Edit: popped a 10yr odd old tin....It ages superbly....heavy laden with crystals...supereb....this one cellars extremely well.

SirLoirn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirLoirn (126)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

Tin: SF smell much like strong grape juice. It's a mix of brown hues spotted with blonde. The flakes do not peel off lengthwise as a whole piece but break up into little twigs and rub out as a stringy, stiff ribbon. It felt on the verge of being dry. The square tin doesn't reseal snugly.

Packing & Lighting: I was a little put off by the way the flakes rubbed out, but it packed easily enough, and of course, started with one match. It was surprising that there was a fair amount of gurgle, given that the tabacco did not feel moist, requiring several relights towards the end of the bowl.

Taste & Aroma: Nothing really stands out, no subtle or strong flavors to delineate amongst, just rather mild and monochromatic. Right at the end of the bowl, there was a fleeting fruity sandalwood aroma, slightly grassy, not sweet. The bowl is left with this same scent. A smooth smoke with no bite. Two stars, not bad.

Nicotine: medium, borderline strong

Room Note: Nothing until the end of the bowl, then mildly winey sandalwood; no unpleasant smokiness.

Overall: Unimpressive; no strong VA component. It's not a quality oriental blend. It leaves a sandalwood and wine scent to the room, leaving no unpleasant smokiness, just nothing special; there are better VA blends.

Second Effort in large Bowl:

Top third: monochromatic.

Halfway: fruity sandalwood

2/3: complex mix evoking bursts of mild VA, Kentucky, oriental, sandalwood

Bottom: sandalwood-oak scent, which is a contrast to the fruity tin aroma.

Smoke this in a tall bowl, to develop this aroma transition. One could be tempted to call this a plain, uninteresting tobacco if smoked in a small bowl. It was never really sweet. 3.0 stars

Addendum: After consuming about 1/2 of the tin, the tobacco had become bland, losing any contrasts in taste and aroma. At this point, it is plain VA that is light, smooth, and has no unpleasant qualities, vaguely sandalwood, leaving no sharp or smokey aspect lingering around. Moderately recommended for not leaving oa sharp or strong aroma. But, by the end of the tin, SF had lost any topping which could no longer hide a lingering, slightly sharp, smokey, mildly cigarish aroma. 2.7 stars

Guyrox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Guyrox (131)

2nd Update - 02 Aug 07

One important comment, after smoking about half the tin: this flake needs to be smoked very carefully and slowly; if smoked too enthousiastically, it will leave the tobacco and the inside of the pipe wet, which is extremely unpleasant...because of that, I must downgrade it to 3 out of 4 stars...quite annoying!

This is the first time that I'm reviewing a tobacco after smoking it only once...but this is one of those things...

Scottish Flake is a traditional Red VA Flake; you are greeted by leaves that are golden, red, orange and medium brown, and the flakes are lengthwise - the tin is about 3" X 2 1/2", and that is the size of the Flakes, on the horizontal plane rather than vertical, which makes it interesting.

I can't say that I detect the Turkish, Havana or Kentucky bakkies...but the tin aroma is definitely of a fine red wine, almost reminiscent of Port. The tin description says "Dark red Virginia slices, medium strength, naturally sweet"; I'll be damned if there is any of the other bakkies mentioned...but logically, there should, because there are shades of gold and medium brown, but it is very subtle, so if those bakkies are there, they're definitely in the background. But, dammit, I can't taste it!

This tobacco reminds me of Hal O' the Wynd in strength, but in way less harsh, smoother in fact. Smokable, for I did not enjoy HOTW, as where I enjoy Scottish Flake very much... It smokes dry and rather slowly but needs some attention: don't puff too much or your tongue will pay the price!

Despite that it smells sweet, it doesn't really taste sweet at all; it tastes like tobacco, with some spicy notes - the Turkish/Havana?; the sweetness expresses itself in the room note!

So, if you like Hal O' the Wynd, this baby is for you! This is definitely an excellent bakkie.

Recommended, I will update after 5 or 6 pipefuls...

Update 03 July 07

I maintain my appreciation of this tobacco, and upgrade it from recommended to highly recommended. It's really nice! After the tobacco has dried out a bit, the first half of the bowl is mostly the taste of pure VA, with a slight sweet background; as soon as I hit the mid-bowl, the bold flavor of sweetness explodes, making this tobacco a very enjoyable smoke. IMHO, this is better than Hal O' The Wynd, even though it's the same manufacturer that do both Rattray's and McConnell. Also,you get your kick of nicotine without any problem.

Highly recommended, and the tin is really cool looking!

gnossos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gnossos (39)

While this is a good tobacco, I'd say go with Scottish Cake. I think someone referred to this as Cake's "rustic" companion, or something to that effect, and I'd say that's accurate. Good in a pinch, and good for travel, but overall I'd say the taste is much more rough around the edges than the Cake, which makes me give it only three stars.

bando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bando (1)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium Tolerable

It is an honest tobacco. It's strange to understand cause have also havana leafs in thee mixture. This flake gives to you a regular and honest smoketime. This is my favourite tobacco when I don't know what I will smoke.

GeoLogger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GeoLogger (16)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Unnoticeable

Grampa would have loved this tobacco and couldn't we all learn a bit from Grampa? This is a plain old good and decent blend. Basic tobacco, very slightly aromatic. One of the few "sort of aromatic" Virginias which I really like. I don't know what dull or boring is in tobacco. I do know what "Yuck" is for me. For me yuck is easy to achieve and step one is usually to add goop that is intended to add flavour or aroma. But I really don't personally care much what the room aroma is like, within reason, and I don't really want other flavours because I like tobacco flavour. Perhaps that is precisely what bores some folks. This blend takes a baby step toward addressing the flavour, and manages to not really do it badly at all. Of course I happen to like red Virigina. I give this 3 stars. Nothing wrong with this blend at all, I just want to rate it a half step behind my very favourite blends. I buy this and smoke it. If we had a ten point system this would be a nine, not a seven. And the tins fit in my hip pocket.

Warwick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Warwick (22)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Strong

10/8/05 - Initial impressions review:

The tin aroma was unusual but inviting -- a VA plum/raisin aroma along with a "grassy" aroma. I did not find it "musty".

The flakes were compressed into the small tin, and it was easy to peel off roughly 1/4" wide pieces of broken flake as needed. Moisture content was only a smidge higher than optimal. The flakes themselves were variegated/mottled, with the mostly dark color interspersed with lesser amounts of various lighter colors.

Given the good moisture level, I did not bother to rub it out, but simply folded a few strips into the bowl. Upon lighting, the flavor of the VA was superseded by a burst of other brigher and lighter flavors. Spicy, grassy. I could imagine that it is from some combination of the Carolinas, Kentucky and orientals.

The flavor strikes me as a rather complex mixture, and definitely not a monochromatic blend, or a rich VA-only, nor the binary flavor combination of a VA/Oriental blend.

The flake burns very nicely, is smooth and has little tendency to bite. The orientals dry the throat a little (which Dunhill Durbar also does to me) and perhaps it is the Havana (which I've not experienced before) which lends an odd pungency in the background that is a bit offputting. This has a fair bit of nicotine - not SG-Brown-Rope#4-strong, but stronger than Dunhill Nightcap.

As it burned further down, I found the room note to be fairly strong and not entirely pleasant - somewhat like a mild spice-scented candle mixed with cigarette ash aroma. The bowl also became somewhat "ashy" and dumping out the ashes on top allowed the remainder of the bowl to return to the "brighter" flavor it had at first light. After its all done, the aftertaste of orientals and a bit of ashiness lingered quite awhile.

I think this blend has to be considered on its own terms, and not as if it were a VA flake, because the import of all the other flavors renders it quite unique. It's simply not in the same genre as Marlin Flakes, Old Gowrie, Hal o'the Wynd, Best Brown Flake, Peacehaven, etc. If I were looking for a strictly VA flake, I would bypass this one.

I do think some aging will improve it - I kept feeling that the flavors were more "raw" than they ought to be. I look forward to finding out what 3-6mo on the shelf will do for it.

DrDNA Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDNA (58)
Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Notes: There is certainly some confusion as to the exact ingredients of this blend -- whether it is a straight virginia blend (as it says on the tins I've purchased) or whether there are other condiment leaves as well. In any case, any contribution the latter may make is subtle indeed, acting only as supporting players to the lead character, red virginia leaf. When considering this, treat it as a virginia flake, as it smokes and behaves as such. I like it best in a thin tall chimney pipe.

Appearance: A firmly pressed thick broad-cut 3" flake, compactly stacked in a 3" x 2.5" tin, very similar to the way that Krumble Kake presents itself. The blend however comprises a melange of light to darkish brown strands.

Aroma: Quite sweet as natural flakes go. Honey, salted peanuts, vinegar, cupcakes, natural tobacco flavor, whole grains.

Taste: Flour tortilla, steel-cut oats, wheat bread, vinegar, plain tobacco flavor. Can burn a bit if you are overly aggressive with puffing. A complex flavor profile, for such a quiet, mild blend, with everything bubbling below the surface of perception.

Comparisons: Very much in the same line-up as Rattray's Hal O' The Wynd, with a similar nutty-Virginia disposition, but less nutty, harsher, austere.

Bottom Line: If you enjoy nutty Virginias, like Rattray's Hal 'O The Wynd, but are searching for a less expensive, more portable alternative, this may be a good choice.

A strange combination of tobaccos, that's for sure, but it works. It's sweet, VERY sweet upon opening the tin, and this you can find during the smoke too, but not an overwhelming sweetness. The greatest point about this is its smoothness, it smokes easily without even the least edge. I really can't figure out a category to put this into: it's good, and that's all!

Tiepolo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tiepolo (40)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

There is not much to add to the excellent reviews of pipestud, Colonel Panic and Tantric. This is an All Star tobacco that every pipe lover ought to try. As far as the comments for foul smell are concerned, it just proves how differently people's senses work. Me, but also female members of my family who are fanatic anti-smokers, having though a passion for french cuisine, find the smell in the tin very savoury and a positive indication that tobacco is not just this 'evil, horrible weed", but something that a fine blender works on to create a tasting experience. Has to be left to dry for half an hour IMO before smoking otherwise it will gurgle but then, I am quite an aggressive puffer also. I would join easily the much esteemed pipestud, in the team of those forced to smoke this as a life sentence!

Darth 69 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth 69 (76)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Strong

I was blown away, in a bad way by the heady and foul tin aroma that is best liken to intense musty body oder. No joke! I never smelled something so obtrusively demonic in character as this bouquet from the tin which permeated the air like a cannister of Zyklon B. I can only guess maybe its' the havana leaf in conjunction with the maturing process. All this experience with out even lighting up yet. Smoke wise it is much more subdued, mellow, slightly naturally sweet and round but the echo of that rank stench is too distracting. I can also liken "that smell" to cumin largly used in mexican cooking. If you are as perceptive as I am, people who eat such cooking tend to smell like such cooking, amplified by exsertion and poor hygine. If it was'nt for biblical brimstone being the preferred olfactory torment for the damned this would be a great second choice.

I don't smoke this regularly as it is too hard to come by. That being said, I give it four stars because it is excellent and an out of the ordinary flake. Most of the other reviewers have already described the good character of this fine tobacco and I highly recommend it.

Jakob Kiilerich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jakob Kiilerich (118)
Mild None Detected Full Very Pleasant

Okay, this one is a strange fella'. I did not detect any Oriental from the smell of the tin. Just plain (GOOD quality) VA.

Upon lighting, I found this blend quite flat and way too mild. "Where's the Oriental, of which the other reviewers spoke of"?? I was hit by it later down the bowl.. I must admit that I'm not very fond of Oriental - reminds me of cigarettes, and I'm not very fond of the Oriental in this blend. Oh yes indeed; It's very unique and interesting but just too weird and intense for me. Not intense as in strong, too complex or as in too much nic. just too intense in depth...

I'm not a neophyte - heh! I even smoke RY - but the density of the smoke is too heavy for me, that's why I only use this one as "The tobaccos answer to Espresso", and that's why I only smoke this one on occasion.....Maybe it'll grow on me later on..

Jakob Kiilerich, Denmark

Exedwardsguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Exedwardsguy (11)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I?ve put off reviewing Scottish Flake long enough. I feel it is owed to potential smokers who might be on the fence about spending their sheckels to try it. This simple advice? don?t delay! If you like Virginia flake and won?t miss having Perique (which is absent), order at will. You?re gonna like this.

What you?ll get is: fairly tidy flakes ? packaged end up, dark brown with some lemon color and tans mixed in, tin aroma like raisins and hay, moist but easily rubbed (if you?re into that ? which I am), packs nicely.

A single Vesta gets the party started and the fun begins with a fog of creamy sweet smoke. The smoke is cool and won?t bite, and the taste is mouthwatering. If you want more, just draw harder. You?ll get a cheerful crackling and more cool tasty smoke. The mild raisiny topping is evident until the end of the first quarter of the bowl, then leaves you like a welcoming spirit to the contemplation of the simple but very high quality tobacco flavor that remains. If you focus hard you can get the buttery Burley and maybe the Turkish ever so quietly murmuring in the background, but it is really their mechanical impact on this blend that is so exquisite. The smoothing effect of these tobaccos upon the already smooth Virginia is quite remarkable. There seems to be a question whether these components really are there, and I must say if this is just the pure Virginny, it is some special weed!

At the halfway mark I found myself wishing I was back at the beginning, this stuff is that good. Still smooth and creamy, the sweetness is gone, but yields to a demi-sec grassy flavor with a dark richness that Scottish Cake aspires to, but seems to apply with a large mallet, rather than having it just ? happen. By the end the Burley makes itself known by its little tingle and nicotine whammy and I was left with a peppery gray ash and no waste.

I wanted to think this was simply the sliced cake from which Scottish Cake was broken up. I am convinced it is a completely different blend. As nice as Cake is, this flake makes it seem like a rustic backwoods cousin. The aftertaste is crisp and yeasty. My first experience with McConnell tobacco was with the sublime Red Virginia of the early 80?s. On trying a contemporary tin of that blend I had despaired, only to find something equally magnificent if not better in Scottish Flake! A masterpiece of blending balance. Highest recommendation.

Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

Pure, unadulterated Virginia of the highest quality. This used to be a favorite of mine?together with Scottish Cake (lighter, mellower than SF) and Red Virginia Superb?when I first started smoking straight Vas. in the early Nineties. I recently got a new batch from Cupojoes, N.Y. Kohlhasse and Kopp (blenders of McConnell?s, Rattray?s, Astley´s, and Wessex) should be acknowledged not only for the consistent quality of their products, but also because they have managed to preserve the distinct personality of each brand and tobacco, so that Scottish Flake does not resemble Astley?s 55 or Rattrey´s Old Gowrie. This flake has a grassy undertone, and only a faint acidic reminiscence, common to all Virginias. It is not a mild smoke, but it won?t get you giddy. In terms of flavor, it does not have that raisin-winy like sweetness of Dunhill?s Light Flake, Rattray?s Hal O? the Wynd or Astley?s 109. Instead it has a plainer toasted-grain like flavor, slightly similar to some of Gawith?s offerings (BBF for example), but not as soapy. There is a certain rawness to the leaf that I find very palatable. The flakes come tightly pressed inside the small rectangular tin; dark brown in color, the texture is oily and supple. The flakes are a bit hard to break apart, but packing and lighting is not too much of a problem. I find this an excellent companion for straight Scotch, especially in those rare evenings when in splendid solitude. An excellent Virginia smoke, highly recommended.

PS: I don't detect any of the other components listed at the top of the page. An AITS (Association of Independent Tobacconists, from GB)catalogue c. 1992 states that this is a plain Viriginia tobacco. In any case, just enjoy it.

Bicilotti Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bicilotti (4)

I'm writing this review just after smoking the Scottish Flake in my Meerschaum pipe. From the smell of the blend I guess there are some Virginia (Red and/or Black) and a small part of Latakia in it. It is quite wet (like all the Flake), and I will reccomend it to an at least not 'newbie' smoker. However, I did not found any problem when I packed it and lighted it and if you let it dry for a while these little problems will surely disappear. And now, most importan thing, the taste of the smoke. Compared to other VAs Flake (i.e.: Marlin Flake by Rattray) the Scottish Flake has not a wide variety of flavours, however this is not disappointing, for the smoking is enjoyable and much much easier than other kind of Flake (for example, with the Marlin is quite difficult to control the peace when smoked in a large bowl; the Scottish instead allows you a more relaxed smoking: a wrong peace won't cause your precious tobacco to turn sour!). Probably, when the tobacco is burning at the end of the bowl, the smoke is too sweet. The body is quite light and the nicotine too is not strong. I reccomend to smoke this blend (and, generally speaking, i reccomend to smoke every Flake) with extreme calmness to enjoy this slow-burning tobacco. If you are searching for an 'easy' but interesting smoke this is the right choice.

P.S.: I apologize for my english (quite rusty, actually, but I'm italian!)

Jumbo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jumbo (12)

I have tried this twice now, both times in an eighth-bent Savinelli pot which is still fairly new and dedicated to Virginias.

The tin aroma is very similar to Dunhill Light Flake, though maybe a little stronger and more on the alfalfa side. This may be a function, though, of its higher moisture content. On a whim, I opened a tin of DLF and compared their aroma. Very close indeed.

These flakes are darker than DLF, though, and not as neat. They do not separate cleanly, and have to be picked apart. They rub out easily to a medium-fine consistency, but, owing to the moisture, they cannot be reduced further.

It crowns nicely to the charring light. A quick tamp and proper light, and a beautiful thick cloud of white smoke emerges. My spousal unit doesn't care for it. Oh well.

Rob't McConnell Scottish Flake is sweeter than DLF. The unmistakable oriental notes are there. Like other reviewers, I cannot identify the Havana.

It DGTs well, becoming less grassy and deeper, with a delicious round flavor.

I'll lay up a couple or three tins.

Paddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paddy (125)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant

Over all, this is a medium brown flake with some light and dark strands. The aroma in the tin is a slightly sweet raisiny tobacco essence, not exactly the smell I get from Virginia. The flakes are packed endwise and fall apart easily. It is easy to pack any way you like it, lights quickly and burns well. At first the flavor seems so mild that it put me off a bit. But after half dozen puffs, I detect the Turkish which is exceptionally well done in combination with a very mild Virginia. I do not taste the Havanna or the Kentucky right away so they may be there in faint amounts to give some body to an otherwise very mild Virginia. This is a smoke that you could enjoy while doing something else, but it is also the kind of smoke that has that special, unique nuance in the Turkish leaf. There is no bite for me and the tobacco, once it gets going, burns cool. Three fourths of the way along, the Kentucky emerges now and then with its distinctive nuttiness. I give this high marks for its unique Turkish spice combined with the sweet Virginia flavor and that trace of Kentucky, but I need to concentrate a bit or I will miss it. Something for the attentive connoiseur. Well recommended. Paddy.

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

Not being a big fan a "virginia" type flakes, I was hounded by my friends to try this blend. I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised. While I would gladly try this blend if it were offered to me, this is not my usual preference. The tobac flakes rub out easy and seemed to work better in smaller pipes (group 3-4), burned slowly and cool with no dottle and a fine grey ash. The flavor was sweet and complex, typical of a well married flake. The nicotine kick was a little high for me, which means this is a sit down blend. For those who like flake blends, I too would highly recommend this.

Bernie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bernie (6)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

I had previously tried Scottish Cake and loved it and having gotten seriously into flakes I had been wanting to try this for some time. I then had an opportunity to buy some aged tins of various blends and amongst them was a 4 year old tin of Scottish Flake. So this review is based on an aged tin rather than a fresher one.

On opening the tin I found the wax paper stained quite a dark brown colour. The tobacco itself is mostly dark but I have found some slightly lighter colours in there too. This is consistent with ageing. The tin aroma is similar to Marlin Flake which is a favourite of mine so this was a good sign. I was unable to get any of the flakes to seperate whole. It is quite moist for an aged tin. I broke off some good sized lumps and gave a little rub and found it broke up very easily into quite small pieces with little effort.

Lighting took some time with my Old Boy and I had to relight twice after tamping. The immediate flavour is reminiscent of Marlin but is spicier. I find the sweetness develops further during the bowl but demands a slow technique to reveal it's joys. The flavour is subtle and for me would not work too well as an outdoor smoke but is superb as a reading or working smoke or as a plain do nothing but enjoy the smoke slowly.

The flavour is of sweet red VA. I do not detect whatever Turkish is supposed to be in this. Burley is present and serves well to add a creaminess but does no more than that. I do not taste any nuttiness or ashiness. Just a wonderful creamy VA sweetness.

Kohlhase, Kopp & Co know how to make great flakes.

Although I have indicated I smoke this on occasion I would highly recommend it to anyone who likes sweet VA flakes like Marlin, Hal o the Wynd, Old Gowrie, Escudo, G&H Brown Flake, etc.

I plan on trying the fresher stuff but even if I find it different it would be worth laying some down for the years ahead.

Willy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Willy (75)

The small pocket-size tin is just one of the things I like about Scottish Flake. These classic dark VA flakes do, as others have noted, break up very easily. Packing is no problem. There is a light sweetness in the flavor, but according to the A.I.T.S. Tobacco Index there is no flavoring added. Could be just the pressing of the red VA's and the natural sugar content. I detect no Orientals or Latakia, but there is a suggestive smokey flavor reminiscent of campfires and charcoal grill tastes. There's also a flavor that's sort of like walnuts (at least to me) but it's very delicate and subtle. This tobacco reminds me of an "Old World" kind of smoke. It lights and burns well. The flavor gets richer as you smoke and the VA "tang" is present nearly all the way down the bowl. When relighting I noticed a slight bitter taste but it disappeared as the burn got going again. I did notice a slight throat dryness near the very end of the bowl, but it was not at all bothersome and a couple sips of ice tea took care of it. I like the "musty" VA smell in the tin, and the smell in the room was inoffensive. I found the moisture content to be just about right, and I had little problems when smoking making just one swab with a pipe cleaner. All in all I really like this tobacco. The tin makes it easy to carry, it rubs out with little effort, it wasn't harsh or overly sharp, it has, IMHO, a good, honest natural VA tobacco flavor, and though, as some of you have noted, there are other bulk blends that are as good (or better)and perhaps less expensive (agreed), I feel this tobacco has a good quality-to-value ratio. Having obtained some tins, from a dear departed friends cellar, that are aged to the point that the wax paper inside is covered with black/brown age-blotches adds a little "mystique" as well. Works for me.

Easily packed which results in a nice even burn without relights. The flavor is enjoyable and even throughout and I slightly sense the turkish from my prior cigarette life. However, the room aroma is much better than cigarettes and I'd smoke this in company of non-pipesmokers. Although it appears to have an ideal moisture content in the tin, it smokes slightly wet for my taste towards the bottom of the bowl. A full bent seemed to help. I don't find anything so uniquely different from some of the McClelland and Stokkebye blends that are available in bulk @ reduced prices but this is a really good smoke for a treat.

Albion1956 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Albion1956 (41)

I tried this tobacco on my ongoing quest, primarily, since I had not tried any RM tobaccos. This tobacco is blended and produced by the same people that produce Rattrays. This tobacco comes in flakes, similar to Bengal slices, and other pressed/sliced flakes. Tim aroma is that of Va's with a slight turkish mixture, the description says Havana, I'm not sure on that one. The flakes are easy to break up, and packing the bowl is a breeze. One match will do the trick, after charring, the tobacco burns even and produces a mild smoke, pleasant to the taste, and to those around you, a mild tobacco that could be recommended to a new flake user. The tobacco burns well all the way down, and does not leave a bad taste. The tobacco has a topnote, similar to Honeydew?

mparker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mparker (51)

Fermented tin aroma, spicy sweet and sour flavor, nasty room aroma, nasty aftertaste for the next few hours. This blend nearly turned me off Virginias completely. I've still got the tin in my humidor after all these years, maybe I'll try it again and see if five years of aging have helped.

Colonel Panic Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Colonel Panic (42)

Pouch Aroma: This is a lightly sweet and grassy smelling flake - the aroma reminds me a bit of Capstan Medium Navy Cut. It smells like good virginia tobacco with no hint of perique and if there's Turkish or air-cured they're very lightly used. No casing detectable to my nose, although a very light top note may have been applied since it smells a tad less sweet than before I dried it.

Appearance: The flakes are thin and partially broken, consisting of predominately medium brown tobaccos (50%) with the remainder made up of dark brown and bright yellow (40% and 10% respectively). Other than that, it's nondescript.

Packing and Lighting: I'm using my trusty old Hardcastle Executive straight saddle bulldog as it absolutely loves virginias and always smokes them cool, sweet and dry. Rubbing the flakes is a simple matter, and they break up similarly to Sample "A". A pre-light draw gives me an almost nonexistent tobacco flavor that's probably mostly the pipe itself. The first match, however, gives me nothing but creamy, full Virginia flavor and a nicely stinging sharpness when blowing the smoke out of my nose. The flavor reminds me of Capstan Medium, but it's not as heavy or savory. It also brings to mind some of McClelland's flakes but without the unmistakeable McC's pouch aroma or coarser cut. It burns quite well and is off to a pleasant running start!

Exposition: Very nice! Smooth and creamy, lightly sweet and redolent of fields of dry grass or hay in late summer, this is a tobacco I would smoke a lot of if I didn't have similar blends already in my cellar. It's tasty, but has nothing special thus far to recommend it above McClelland's Virgina #22 or #2010. It has nice flavors in the upper and middle range but seems to be lacking something in the low end - but this is typical of light VA Flakes so don't take that as a criticism. A few years of age could do wonders for it. One thing I like especially is the 'nose', the smoke rising from the burning bowl. It has very evanescent sandalwood and burnt oak notes that intermingle in a fun way. Now that I have a good burn going I think I'll run a pipecleaner into the shank and let it sit for a few minutes...

The Story: The relight, after about 30 minutes, is still sweet and tasty with a bit more depth and richness to it. I've had better tobaccos of this type, but not too many. I find it a bit too light and sweet for my regular taste but I could see many Virginia flake fans smoking this as an all-day. The room note is light and sweet also, and not as reminiscent of cigarettes as some of the drier Virginias are so it's very pleasing in that respect also. The flavor is staying remarkably consistent as the bowl burns down, only gaining lightly in strength and picking up a slightly pungent sourness that's quite pleasant on the tongue.

Denoument: Nearing the end, the sweetness has subsided a bit to make way for more of the creamy, slightly sour flavor. It's still quite mild and smooth and there's not a trace of bite to the whole bowl. There is a nice amount of 'body' to the smoke, a palpable heaviness on my tongue that is really pleasant. The smoke from the bowl is still nice, so I would definately like to try this in a bent pipe, and it leaves a rich aftertaste for quite a while after putting it down. Overall, a wonderful smoke for Virginia lovers.

P.S. I let the last dregs of the first bowl sit for 9 hours to be my nightcap bowl, and it's gotten much bolder in flavor while staying smooth.

Pros: Too many to list 'em!

Cons: The only thing this tobacco could use is a little more heaviness, but when I want a light, smooth pure Virginia flake I'll reach for this one every time so that's not even a fault.

Addendum: 5 days later, and I'm smoking this in my Peterson #305 and absolutely enjoying myself. It's still sweet and light, but my Pete is bringing out the creaminess quite a bit earlier than the Hardcastle did. I find the flavor to be everything I said above and more! This is an excellent tobacco, and I would recommend it to anyone wanting to learn just what Virginia flake tobacco is all about. It's great for beginners as it rubs out and packs easily and is very easy on the tongue.

In my Peterson, the finish is a bit heavier than before but not in any way unpleasant. I'm not getting the sour flavor, but it's not exactly sweet either; it's full, rich and slightly musty/woody, like a dusty old bottle of Cabernet. This one's a keeper!