Scottish Cake - this ready rubbed flake is a great favorite for young and old. Dark brown in its color the seasoned pieces may directly be tampered into the pipe or even lightly rubbed become to a Honeydew. Produced from a mixture of Eastern Carolina, Kentucky and Middle Belt, that are pressed for several weeks. A very popular tobacco and very slow in its burning.

Notes: From the Kohlhase & Kopp website: "Hand rubbed flake of dark Virginia and Kentucky with a pinch of perique."

BrandRobert McConnell
Taste

3.2
Perique Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique (150)

Presentation is lovely medium and dark brown, thin-sliced, broken flakes. An amazing tin note of fig and raisin over a foundation of sweet, bready Virginias.  There's not a hay note here as much as a strong aroma of molassed sweet feed - a very distinct and very delicious smell, with the bready Virginia aromas sprinkled over the top of the molasses foundation. This is among my favorite tin notes of any tobacco blend. The VAs here remind me of Royal Yacht: a freshly baked white loaf with some subtle sugar. Delicious. I get little to no Kentucky tang in the tin note, but the molasses element may be a function of the Kentucky.

The broken flakes were a bit moist and sticky (in that natural tobacco way, rather than drug store, PG-laden stickiness) despite having spent just over a year in my tobacco cabinet.  I prefer my tobacco on the dryer side so I set a bowl's worth aside to dry for about an hour.

The charring light brought an initial flavor of stewed fruit - a more subtle version of what I get from Marlin Flake. So the Perique used here begins as more on the fruity side rather than the peppery side of the flavor spectrum.  But the overall Perique presence is very mild; it was definitely used as a condiment in this blend rather than a leading actor.

The Virginias here are very smooth, and not as quite as sugary as the tin note would suggest. While I couldn't initially smell the Kentucky, I can definitely taste it. There is a subtle Kentucky tang that interplays fantastically with the Virginias. Again, the Kentucky here is more of a supporting act - not quite as overt as those of, say, GL Pease's Cumberland.

By mid-bowl, this blend really shines. All of the flavors merge so harmoniously: sweet Virginias, tangy Kentucky, plummy Perique. Despite being tinned on the wet side, after some dry time and by mid-bowl, Scottish Cake delivers thick clouds of creamy smoke with absolutely no bite. Unlike many sipper's blends, Scottish Cake is very forgiving of heavy puffers. I should add that despite the initially moist tobacco, after some dry time this blend burned straight through after a charring and then true light, with only one re-light required.

Interestingly, in the final third of the bowl there are some peppery notes from the Perique. This is one of those rare blends that showcases both sides of the Perique flavor spectrum: stewed fruit at the onset and a hint of spice towards the close. But as much as the Kentucky and Perique add to this blend, the real stars in my opinion are the Virginias. You just can't make a great VaPer or VaBurPer blend without smooth, kind Virginias.

Overall, this is a very smooth and harmonious blend with the constituent tobaccos each playing their part flawlessly. Those diehard VaPer aficionados should be aware, however, that this is a relatively mild Perique blend. And that's ok: not every VaPer needs to be a "Perique bomb". This is simply a superb blend showcasing what a talented blender is capable of: balance, flavor, subtlety, and creamy deliciousness.

Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The Virginias have a pinch of grass and some earth notes, with a little citrus and tangy dark fruit, the latter provided mostly by the red Va. There is a hint of dried fruit, too. The Kentucky adds a very mild woody, spiciness, though they are not obvious in every puff. The perique is more plum, raisins and figs than pepper, and is a background player. There's a sweet topping that sort of melds the components together, sublimating some of the complexity that could have been here. Has a mild nic-hit, and won't bite or get harsh. Burns cool and clean with a little inconsistency and lack of depth in its flavor. Leaves a little moisture in the bowl, and needs some relights. The after taste is okay, but short lived. It's a nice all day smoke, but it lacks the variety of flavors one often associates with a Scottish blend. Deserves two and a half stars.

Robert McConnel - Scottish Cake.

The blend arrives only a little too moist and if you like your blend fully rubbed S.C. only needs a tiny amount of work to complete it.

It lights easily and gives an impeccable smoke: hay-like Virginia and spicy Perique. The Kentucky lends a mild touch, but it isn't a blend like some with Kentucky where you get a BLAST of fire cured flavour. The burn's steady and cool.

Nicotine: medium to strong. Room-note: pleasant to tolerable.

Four stars!

Pipe Used: Mr Brog

Purchased From: Smoke King

samcoffeeman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
samcoffeeman (33)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

I do enjoy a good Va/Per, and this is one, with a little kentucky added. Upon opening the tin, I was greeted with a sweet raisin aroma and a sticky ready rubbed mush of tobacco. If there is one thing that knocks this one down a notch, it is the obvious saucing(frosting?) of this cake with some sugary/sweet topping. The tobacco fresh out of my tin was downright sticky gooey and smoking it fresh was not very pleasant. The fresh bowl burns a bit hot and the flavor is a bit sharp. It needs to breathe for a couple hours or so. I set it out on a plate and gave it a toss from time to time until I felt the stickiness had aired out/dried. Now we are getting somewhere. It does burn cool but not particularly slow. Little bite. Good flavor, enough to keep me interested. The first third is a bit over sweet, that sugary topping coming through in the first part of the bowl, with some perique spicyness. Once through that, the natural virginia sweetness shines and there is a taste of the Kentucky hiding in the background along with the perique spice. The Kentucky does come through in the nic hit, which is decent. This would be better without the over-saucing but it is still good. Good enough to buy a bunch? Jury is still out...

Update: Having smoked through a fair amount if this, the jury is in! Placed a large order when it came in stock. This is a great tobacco for me. Molasses sweetness mixed with perique spiciness and the kentucky gives it the kick I like. I dry it for about 6-8 hours out of the tin, then it is good to go.

Update: I have a bunch of jars of different tobaccos open, and every time I have a jar of the cake open, it is gone before I know it. Without a doubt my personal favorite, my desert island tobacco, all day every day.

Pipe Used: Comoy's Blue Riband, Linkman's Dr. Grabow Zulu

I received my tin of Scottish Cake already opened and the leaf was still sopping wet. I took out a wad, dried it a bit and loaded up. For the next bowl I think I'll let the leaf get darn near crispy before trying it. Maybe that will improve the flavor. This tobacco is also a "tweener." It arrived somewhat between a broken flake and a ribbon cut. I rubbed it out fully before drying, loading and lighting.

Scottish Cake had a unique taste that only somewhat appreciated. I see where this is a big hit with most of the reviewers here but I am scratching my dome over why. It did not match up with my body chemistry at all and left my palate feeling somewhat violated.

A positive note; even though the leaf was a bit moist when I smoked my half bowl, it stayed lit well.

Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Wow, Was I fooled and pleasantly surprised with this blend. I thought I had ordered RM's Oriental and never realized I had the wrong blend until I was halfway done with the tin. This blend was so good , I never realized my mistake nor was I trying to look for "What's Wrong" with this blend, it was all good.

Upon looking at the components ( Va., Kentucky and Perique ) I would have expected a bit of heat/spice, but this is dark, smooth and sweet. This Perique just stays in the background. It reminds me of Mac Barens HH Old Dark Fired, but the Kentucky stays more in the background than does the Burley of the Mac Baren's. Perhaps it's closer to Reiner's 71 "Long Golden Flake", but I think this is tastier. I'll throw one more out there ( it's been a few years ) , Solani 660 Silver flake.

If you like dark sweet Virginias with NO bite and never bitter, you got to try this ( the Perique & Kentucky just come along for the ride providing some "N" and base) . I could be moving this to my "Favorites"

Agree with reviewer "Deleted Account (574)" , in that this is a great change from Latakia

Pipe Used: maple , cob

Age When Smoked: 2 months open

Similar Blends: Reiner Long Golden, Solani 660 Silver flake, Also a milder Mac Barons "HH Old Dark Fired".

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

I really like this one. The Virginias are fruity and sweet with an occasional wine-like note. I wouldn't say the Perique is light, more light to medium and providing ample spice and figgy notes. The DFK is light providing only a hint of it's flavor and some depth. Very, very nice. A little more aging might make those wine-like notes a bit more pronounced.

Mild to medium in body. Medium in flavor. Needs to be rubbed out a little and some drying time. Great, relaxing smoke.

Pipe Used: MM General, MM Country Gentleman, MM Mark Twain

ROTHNH Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ROTHNH (11)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Rummaging the cellar last night and looking for something to add to my rotation, this orange labeled tin caught my eye. Hmmm, a Va/Per with Kentucky. I can't remember when I bought this (or the other tin of the same there, for that matter), so it's probably at least a couple-three years old, maybe older. What the hell, I grabbed it and popped the tin.

The tin aroma is of rich tobacco and a gentle, molasses-like sweetness. Described as ready rubbed, the ribbons are a mixture of light, medium and dark brown; a bit moist, so I dried a bowlful for 20 minutes. It packed easily without further rubbing. The char and light went very well. There's more than a pinch of red virginias (virginia forward) and a good amount of white burleys in this, which is fine by me; the perique, as stated on the tin, is "a pinch" -- just enough. The processing of the tobaccos leaves for this cake has produced and amazing result, since the cake appears to have been left to rest after pressing, absorbing the remaining juices; this results in the "broken cake" in this tin having that same remarkable sweetness from the tin aroma present throughout the smoke. I sipped it slowly -- no bite at all. A little bit of spice (the perique) and nuttiness (from the burleys).

I wouldn't say this blend is complex, but consistently even and well balanced throughout. It smokes evenly leaving dry white ash in my R.C. Sands egg -- no dottle.

If you're a Va/Per fan, this is a must try. Highly recommended.

I have been smoking Scottish Cake for years and in the tin it smells sweet and full. The somewhat thick sliced plug provides deep flavor, with the Perique suppling the raisin and plum notes. The Kentucky adds some body and strength, but it is far from forward. I can’t help but compare this to Hal O’ the Wynd, a favorite of mine, as they both contain Virginia, Perique and Kentucky. But Scottish Cake contains a topping that, while pleasant, has me reaching for HOTW much more often for better tobacco flavor. SC burns cool, even when pushed, but the manually added sweetness keeps it from being an everyday smoke for me. Flavor wise, it’s pretty straightforward, only deepening in flavor and sweetness as the bowl progresses. There are more bass notes than high notes to the Virginias. There is a bit of a caramel note too (not to be confused with the candy). I do find that the Perique gains a small amount of pepper in the later stages of the bowl. Aging this blend only serves to deepen the sweet flavor which isn’t a bad thing! I have one remaining tin that was made by McConnell (verses K&K) that if I remember I will update the difference here. All in all, SC is a decent and enjoyable blend, but often leaves me wanting more tobacco flavor.

Hmmm! I have this tendency to refer to this as Escudo Light, and I can't seem to shake it. The tobacco appears to be Escudo, but not in coin form, but more like someone haphazardly rubbed out the coins somewhat. The flavor, too, is Escudo Light. The sweetness of Escudo is subdued, the perique zest is subdued and the overall blast of flavor is subdued.

That said, this is a fine tobacco on its own. There is a burley (or Kentucky) body to this blend, but it is also subdued. The virginia becomes more prominent down the bowl but there is an initial wisp of VA sweetness just at the match. The perique stays in the background.

If you've tried Escudo and found it too sweet or too heavy or too something-or-other, give this a try. It might just have tamed whatever you didn't like in the former. I'll stick with Escudo, thanks. No real need to revisit this one.

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Edited REVIEW: I just have to bump this up to 4 stars, I'm glad to say I now very much 'get this blend'. I love it's chocolate sweetness with its grassy taste along side it. Good strength, nice in the tin, a must have in the cellar. A great Va/perq

I bought this as it is so highly considered by 'experienced' smokers. Then I thought 'what the hell are they on about'. Halfway true the tin I am beginning to see. For me it has improved over the months the tin has been opened. Presently I smoke it in my University Flake pipe, when I am not in the mood for that flake, and, I sometimes mix it with J.Fox's Dorisco to ease the bitterness (in my latakia pipe). The aroma has grown a bit more chocolatey as it has aged, but that cut grass, summer hay flavour is still there, and, that I don't quite get. Good tobacco, good quality, interesting, different, more for the experience smoker though.

DenizBeck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DenizBeck (265)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

This review is a re-visit of the Scottish Cake. I smoked, loved and reviewed this blend quite early in my "pipe-career", yet I haven't smoked it in a while. "This is THE smoke to me", I was proclaiming in my old review. Well.. now that I've smoked many other blends I don't see it as "THE smoke", but definetly as a wonderful smoke. Yet I have to admit that I find the Old Gowrie to be superior to this blend. It may come down to personal preference though, this blend is "brighter" and sweeter than Gowrie is.

When opening the tin, you'll get bewitched by a lovely aroma that reminds of very ripe and juicy-sweet oranges and tangerines mixed with raisins. The intense fruit-aroma is underscored and balanced by a full-bodied spiciness of black pepper nice! Well conditioned Broken Flakes with intense colors of mainly dark- and medium-brown, that also hold a few brighter stains of yellow and beige. A tad too moist right out of the tin, it can make use of some drying time. Drying it out too much takes some of its "fruity-magic" though (Top-Flavoring that fades?) In the smoke it's not as intensly fruity as in the tin-note, yet it has a decent foundation of a honey-sweet, ripe and juicy fruit like aroma. I get oranges, tangerines, raisins, maybe even a bit of plums, love that! As counterpart a robust spiciness is apparent, that has some good amount of pepperiness to it. They form a synergetic melange of fruits and spices, with some bready, nutty and yeasty undertones, as well as a splash of lemon and grass. It leaves a peppery and slightly fruity-sweet aftertaste in your mouth, that'll make you crave for another bowl!

Even though the taste is very rich with intense aromas, this can be smoked again and again. It's bold and mellow at the same time - if that makes any sense! ;-) Strenght-wise it settles in the "medium"-range, whilst the taste if fullbodied. If you look for it, some complexity can be found, But you might just as well puff it without concentrating too much on it, easy going smoke.

I've found some lists of addities in blends produced by K&K, so I'll have to say there is some very(!!) mild flavouring to it! It's not much, but it's listed in there. Yet this feels and smokes most natural and the flavourings really just accompany with the natural qualities.

3,5-stars, again I find Old Gowrie to be ahead of this! But still... enjoyable smoke!

Pipe Used: Clays, Cobs & Briars

Similar Blends: Rattray - Old Gowrie (British Collection).

The Sunday Evening Pipe Smoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Sunday Evening Pipe Smoker (41)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

UPDATE 01/28/2018:

I wanted to let this one sit awhile and see how it went. I can't say I'd order this one again.

It's an odd one to me because it has a citrusy Va but there's something about the flavour that while it has flavour, it stirkes me as being shallow. It is also peppery from the perique way and I don't happen to be a fan of that. Combining citrusy with peppery just isn't my thing, but if you like VaPers you'll likely enjoy.

Prefer their Oriental blend much more.

-----

The tin note on this one is the most citrusy Virginia I've ever seen, so much so it makes me wonder if there's an adding topping of a citrus variety.

Flavour wise, it's quite unique. To me it is almost like taking a Va. flake like FVF or Capstan Blue and mixing it up with half HH Old Dark Fired and then add on some perique. (I don't think this blend claims to have any perique but it sure tastes like it to me as there is a peppery quality. It is something I always note because perique and I do not always see eye to eye.)

At any rate, what you end up with is a citrusy Virginia flavour mixed with the darker Kentucky type notes that come with ODF -- but the "dark stewed fruit" angle of ODF is taken over by the citrusy Virginia.

To be honest I'm still not quite sure what to make of it. I've found the first half of the bowl more enjoyable than the second half as I find it builds up to that throat feel that can come with Kentucky and the peppery notes as well, and these are things I'm not big fans of, unless I happen to pair it with coffee -- but to me a good blend should stand on its own; it shouldn't have to be augmented by something else to be enjoyable.

A word about the tin art. It's phenomenal. Love it. I'm almost tempted to cellar some of it just for the tin art. :D

Anyway, I'm going to rate this one as "somewhat" recommended for me at this point, but it could change. I need to try it with some more drying time as I've found right out of the tin its a bit moist and can be difficult to keep lit.

I imagine this is one of those love it or hate it type of blends.

Stefanos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stefanos (150)

Consists of mostly rubbed out flakes of mostly (red?) Virginia. Tobacco is on the moist side, but smokes well right out of the tin.

Aroma of the tobacco from the tin is intense and seems natural with yeasty/fermentation notes, stewed fruit, orange zest, chocolate and a whiff of vinegar. Even if there is a topping here, the aroma is beautiful and complex. Even if not dried at all it takes easy to light and stays lit and burns cool to the end. It is a juicy, sweet, yeasty and tangy tobacco. Has medium strength and produces a rich smoke. Perique adds fruitiness more than spice which is mild. Yet Scottish Cake is not a flashy tobacco. Though it is evidently a quality tobacco I was not impressed from the start. Maybe a little difficult for me to understand, sort of unadorned despite the fruity tones. But I did not want to give up on it and soon I came to appreciate it more and more and found quite a few things to commend it.

For starters its taste has complexity and seems all natural with its Perique-induced fruitiness and the Virginias have a nice tanginess. It also has a perfect strength. It is potent tobacco that satisfies nicotine-wise, without being strong. It’s also teasing, after mid-bowl the smoke becomes more woody more pure tobaccoey and nutty with sweeter spice (nutmeg) which is very pleasing but you never get the full nuttiness that is promised; only a tease… But as Oscar Wilde said for smoking (cigarettes), ‘it is the perfect type of a perfect pleasure, it is exquisite and it leaves you unsatisfied. What more can you ask?’ I tried to get the full nuttiness cutting it with some Burley and had good results. I recommend adding a little Semois (Tabak Manil) for a change.

I do not know if it is among the best Va/pers, but not a single bowl failed to either intrigue of satisfy me. Scottish Cake is a solidly good tobacco that possibly hints at something even more exiting that it never fully delivers, but being quite generous with my stars I cannot but give it four.

Similar Blends: McClelland's Tudor Castle although Scottish Cake just tastes like Scottish Cake..

ynrozturk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ynrozturk (60)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Was dying to try this.

Opening the tin, I was greeted with a very, very nice smell. Earthy, sweet, sour, figs.. it just smells glorious. But it also smells like it's been cased with something. I'm not sure exactly what, but if it isn't cased with anything I would be very surprised.

Comes very moist out of the tin, to the point where it sticks to the paper on the top. While taking the paper cover off, half the tin of tobacco came up along with it. I thought alright, I'll let this one dry for a bit. And after drying for a good 15 minutes or so, I loaded into my Croci (with a balsa filter) and off we went.

Despite being not fully dried out, this took to a flame with no problems. Char, tamp, initial light - done. It just keeps going after that - maintenance is so easy you don't even have to think about it. Just enjoy yourself, it'll go on it's own. It also does not bite at all. Absolutely zero.

It's quite a complex blend. I can definitely get the perique in there (VaPer's are my favorite blends) and trust me, it's more than just a pinch. You can feel it throughout the smoke and in the back of your throat - it's definitely there. The Virginia's are very nice and packed full of flavor, but they are not bright Virginia's, so don't think Orlik Golden Sliced or anything like that. The Kentucky adds body and a deeper character to the tobacco.

It's a pleasant smoke, but it's also quite different from pipe to pipe, I find. While not radically different, the differences are there. It smokes horribly in my Nording, for example. Don't know why, as that one is reserved for VaPer's and straight Virginia's. All of my other pipes, it behaved quite well. Does get a bit ashy tasting towards the end, which I guess is kind of a testament of how nice and even it burns all the way to the bottom of the bowl.

It's good stuff. Recommended.

Update : I must admit that after my first tin of this finished, I was swept with a deep and pronounced sadness. It really finished on me quickly, so I went out and got a few more tins, and those finished extremely quickly as well. Not because it burns fast, but because it is just so damned good. One of my favorites. It's very addicting stuff.

Pipe Used: Croci, Nording, cob.

Purchased From: Local tobacconist

Nathaniel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nathaniel (10)
Mild to Medium None Detected Very Mild Unnoticeable

Ebay tin dated 1/12. Probably the best-behaved tobacco I've smoked yet. The leaf is a spongy, moist lump in the tin, and I adore the tin note: sweet feed, oats, raisins and hay. The mushiness of the tobacco lends itself well to my preferred style of packing, a fussy, modified Frank method. And mechanically, it's almost a perfect smoke. I didn't even use a charring light to get it up and running. The plug up top burned slow and steady, with a plentiful but wispy smoke that disappeared quickly in the fall wind.

Only problem is that it's boring. The oats and sweet feed disappear quickly and the perique comes rushing in, hot and spicy. Slowing down the cadence helps some, but I think age is not kind to this blend. The dominating taste is of burning woodchips, a bit of plum and smoke. The perique is just too much. I've smoked and enjoyed other mixtures with perique, so I don't think it's me, though I know I don't have much tolerance for the stuff. Maybe it is me. I loved the Virginias in here, and if there was a straight Virginia version, it would probably become my go-to smoke. As it is, the Virginias tempt me to dig deeper, but when I do, the perique rears its head and makes the experience go from great to passable.

Everything else was perfect: I got almost an hour out of two-thirds of a bowl and didn't have to relight once. The bowl never burned hot and the leaf never turned bitter- unless I pushed the perique. I liked the nicotine levels: just enough to feel something, with no queasiness or head spin. It's just me. I'm interested in trying a fresh tin, and would unreservedly recommend this to anyone with more tolerance for perique than myself.

Pipe Used: Peterson 316

½ bowl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
½ bowl (99)
Mild to Medium None Detected Full Unnoticeable

Smooth, sweet and plummy, with no trace of topping or flavoring. Just enough citrus to keep your taste buds perked up. Slow burning, yet producing a large volume of luscious smoke. The Kentucky leaf takes it out of the VaPer genre, but Vaper aficionados simply must try this.

Age When Smoked: 1 yr in the tin

Similar Blends: Better than, but similar to: SG/Spring Time Flake; Brigham Acadian Blend; Mac Baren HH Acadian Perique; ...and also better than just about any other VaPer I can recall at the moment.

Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

I just received a sample of this from a very nice man in one of my forums just today. I got out one of my favorite billiards and loaded it up anxiously to try a new blend of Virginia and perique that he highly recommended to me. I have pretty much been a burley smoker and light English, and want to develop my taste for virginias and my taste for them to date just has not developed yet as they scald my tongue. But this heavenly mixture is light on the scald and it really reminds me of my old Amphora Brown but with the perique zing. I have smoked two bowls thus far and have enjoyed both tremendously. And...miracle of miracles...my wife came out on my back porch where I was smoking it and said that it smells good and not heavy and said...you need to smoke that one more! She never likes my pipe smoke. So bless the man that sent me this and I am off to order a stash of it!

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (300)
Mild Extremely Mild Very Full Pleasant

Why did i wait to try Scottish Cake? Opening the tin one is greeted with the aroma of aged virginia and an underlying scent of what i believe are cherries. Lovely brown and red hues of tobacco chunks line the tin just begging to be packed. I stuffed this in a tall billiard without any drying and was amazed at how sweet the first third of the bowl was. The second and third part of the bowl was much richer with lots of subtle nuances that can be enjoyed by blowing the smoke out through the nose ending in very fine gray ash. I agree this is too light a smoke for outdoor activities which i found out while walking the dog early this morning. I enjoyed this cake most while surfing the net and reading a book to concentrate on all the flavors.

Ranger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ranger (64)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

First tried this about 15 years ago. Decided after 2 tins I really liked it and bought a few to stash away. Brought one out of hiding about 2 weeks ago dated June 2005. Have to say, I am still very pleased. A cut reminding me of Marlin Flake, but very moist in the tin. Needs an hour or more drying time for me. Burns very well surprisingly. Dark tobacco, great smell both in the tin and smoke, very little perique to my nose and taste, but an overall great VA all day smoke. Have one more saved for the next ten years. Worth buying.

Pipe Used: David Jones Dublin

Similar Blends: Marlin Flake, Patriot Flake.

Domperignon67 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Domperignon67 (2)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

*Brief review: McConnells Scottish Cake - Tin note is interesting and has some similarity in its breadiness to Royal Yacht and 221b Baker Street but has some real sweetness too like stewed plums maybe. Easy to pack although quite moist but I didn't wait to dry it just pinched and filled and it took the flame immediately and actually, surprising due to it's moistness, burned really well and only took one relight but that was because I put the pipe down for a few minutes. There is a real Perique pepperiness going on that gets more pronounced down the bowl but midway through there is a fantastic sweetness that is akin to Honeycomb toffee. No bite whatsoever and I am quite a hard puffer but lots of creamy smoke which is always satisfying. All in all a great tobacco, not a Cake like our continental friends would create I don't think although maybe Kake is different altogether but definitely a blend that is worth enjoying in a larger bowl as I did and savouring. About to become a regular Sunday Morning smoke for me I think and one I would highly recommend to any Vaper lovers out there who dont mind a bit of Kentucky thrown in for good smokey measure....

Pipe Used: Georg Jensen Sitter

Jorge Soler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jorge Soler (129)
Mild None Detected Mild Very Pleasant

I am usually very suspicious with any tobacco being made in Denmark, whether English or not, but this might be the exception that proves the rule. The tin note is sort of vinegary with an undertone of hay, which is something that reminds me of many Gawith Hoggarth blends. I have let my tobacco out of the tin for 24 hours before packing my pipe as the moist content seems to be quite high. This tobacco has a broken flake appearance, packs easily in your bowl, and does not seem to require many relights. If you are for Kentucky/Burley blends paired with Virginia tobaccos, you might as well find this particular one interesting because of its Perique content. The Kentucky content will become more and more apparent the more you smoke, but the Virginia is always there providing this sweet undertone to it. Quite in contradiction with what you would have expected from a tobacco with this characteristics, the strength/taste of this tobacco is rather mild, so I recommend it as a morning blend. I cannot detect any tongue bite and its subdued sweetness keeps me wondering every now and then. Also, it does not seem to burn hot in your bowl, which is a bonus. And I think it is important to mention this tobacco is really good value for money as well. Selling at ϵ11 for a 100 grams tin, you definitely get more bang for your bucks, so if you are looking for good quality tobacco without breaking the piggy-bank, you should probably give this one a go. Based on my initial impressions, this tobacco is going to get 3 stars, but I might upgrade to 4 stars later on if I think it is worth it. For now, it is doing really well, but let's see how I get on with it in the long term.

Jevverrett Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jevverrett (83)

I don't remember why I bought this one. Maybe it just sounded good reading the description.

In the tin it looks nice enough. Very fragrant, dates, raisins, bread and maybe molasses. Very moist, but it dries quickly enough. Whatever treatment it has is natural as far as I can tell. It burns better for me rubbed out fully, but works well in its ready rubbed form. It gave me a little tongue issue when I smoked it too damp and a it too fast the first time.

Very tasty. Sweet, but with a nice body to it. The darker elements play a nice supporting roll. The perique starts out very fruity and finishes nice and peppery. Very good blend that changes through the course of the bowl. May have to get some more for cellaring. Nice nic content to it, not too strong though. Could be an all day smoke.

Pipe Used: IMP meer

Age When Smoked: Fresh tin

L'Italiano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
L'Italiano (170)
Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

This is a good tobacco, but not so excellent as I read. First of all it isn’t a Va/Per but a simply top natural mixture Virginia/Kentucky. I really think there isn’t any Perique in it and even if there is a little pinch it is uninfluential. The taste is a classic Virginia Kentucky and nothing else. However, I believe there is something better in the market. I mean this is a quite good tobacco, but nothing more. If you are looking for a classic top natural mixture with basis tobaccos (without seasoning and flavoring and without Latakia) you have to orient yourself towards Peterson Irish Flake or Samuel Gawith Brown n°4. In my personal rating (from 1 to 10) my score is 7 and two stars.

Coda Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Coda (33)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a decent blend. A ready rub more than a cake, this tobacco burns slow. Flavorwise, there is a lot of Virginia mid-range, and a bit of bass from the Kentucky. I find the perique a bit subdued in this blend. Overall, I think this blend lacks sweetness, and can be a little...hollow. There is an earthiness to Scottish Cake that is pleasant, but can be a bit overwhelming without sweetness to round the edges. All in all, a pleasant tobacco, but not quite a great one...

Peter Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peter Piper (41)

This is quite a rough and chunky rub out of the packet, I found it easier to pack after breaking it up a little bit more.

The aroma is very light and this impression carries on through to firing it up.

The perique is barely there - which is good for me! - just enough to give that slightly snuffy sensation at the back of the nose, but in a pleasant way.

Beyond that, the Virginia is very much to the fore with the addition of a slight, almost zesty tang, again very pleasant.

So overall I am enjoying this. Seasoned perique-heads may find this a touch on the mild side, those who tread carefully around the Louisiana wallop as I do might find this a nice surprise.

EDIT: Having come back to this blend I find I am enjoying it more and more, it really is a fine example of its kind. Rating increased from 3 to 4 stars accordingly.

Highly recommended.

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (191)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Dark Virginia and Kentucky with some Perique. The Kentucky taste is straightforward with the Virginias in the background. Now the Perique gives even more body and strength to an already potent English mixture. This is my kind of tobacco when I need a buzz of nicotine while still enjoying a full bodied blend. A must for natural tasting, Kentucky driven mixture aficionados.

Puffingstuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puffingstuff (101)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

Year after year I keep going back to this mellowy wonderful blend. The balance is excellent with the Burleys and Perique. It has always reminded me of Autumns long ago. This is almost rubbed out flake. Lights nicely,tastes like aged mellow naturaly sweet tobacco goodness. One of my all time favorites!

gladi8tor96 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gladi8tor96 (133)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm reviewing this tobacco again with my 2nd tin of this tobacco....five years later.

Presentation in the tin is quite a nice crumbled cake. Reminds me of the look of Hal'o'The Wynd. Smells figgy, earthy, dried fruit sweetness and a bit of hay. Its a bit wet in the tin, but that doesn't seem to detract from packing it, lighting it, etc...

Packs well into any of the several pipes I've smoked it in. Lights well with just one match. This blend seems to require some light tamping from time to time, but behaves quite well.

The smoke is also reminiscent of HoTW, but just by a little. It gives a nice amount of smoke with flavors of bread, earth, and the typical virginia hayishness. This smoke is only slightly sweet and I would even say it has a 'salty' flavor to it. Sometimes hints of cigar and spice come to visit the palate. It's an enjoyable smoke, but not as smooth (a bit more harsh) as HoTW and not as sweet. It's flavors are not overpowering and are quite pleasant to enjoy. It's a smoke that doesn't require a lot of contemplation and gives quite a kick. There is something about the flavor profile, specifically the finish, that is off-putting to me. I have a hard time putting my finger on it. There is an unpleasant sour note on the aftertaste that just strikes me wrong, otherwise I would rate this tobacco much higher.

Pipe Used: Cob, Billard, flake pipe

Age When Smoked: New from store - 1-3 months

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars.com

Similar Blends: Rattray - Hal O' the Wynd (British Collection).

Fumatore Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fumatore (48)

This is a very nice blend. It has a lean to the earthy side of Vapors which is enjoyable, but you still find that sweet and tangy Vapor flavor. Another point some of you will appreciate, if you tend to forget to pace yourself, is that one can puff away without getting seared tongue. I am very sensitive to any kind of topping but whatever is used here is extremely light.

I would describe Scottish Cake as a nice combination of other Vapors with a touch of the old Murray's Dunhill Elizabethan.

paulwfromtheden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
paulwfromtheden (14)

I have to say that I did not share other reviewers enthusiasm. Nothing wrong with it just a very 'ordinary' smoke.

Steden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steden (94)

I can't say that I like. I have come to the conclusion that probably I do not like the interaction between Kentuky and Perique. Despite this I have nothing to rely on the quality of this blend, as most reviewers have noted this tobacco burns very slowly and appears without flavoring though casing is very evident.

BingCrosby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BingCrosby (72)

This is my second Va/per experience after having tried escudo.. so my knowledge on how this rates by comparison to other tobaccos may be somewhat limited.. But I will give my thoughts as sometimes a beginner's mind can be helpful.. My first reaction is to how marvelous this tobacco smells in the tin.. very fruity - kind of plum like.. not at all what i was expecting. Very moist.. this is a tobacco that really tempts you even before being smoked.. the texture is very coarse as it would be when you break down a flake in your hand.. I like it - very easy to handle and load into your pipe.. I pack it with my own variation on the frank method.. I prefer not to tamp too much - but this tobacco burns so well that not much relighting and tamping seem to be required.. my first reaction is that there are more flavors going on in this than in escudo (don't get me wrong i love the earthiness of escudo) - i think you pick up more on the virginias and kentucky than the perique at first.. i am also getting a slight fruitiness.. after a few more puffs a richer choclatey flavor is emerging.. now i am getting more earthiness.. the rest of the smoke is just pure pleastness.. I like this a lot - a nice mellow yet satisfying flavor.. I would highly recommend to other beginner s..

Revisiting nearly 10 years later (wow time flies).. this is still a favorite. The Kentucky and perique are mild. Every thing is so well married. It comes on soft but always leaves a big impression. I crave it.

Slow Triathlete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Slow Triathlete (48)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

The review below is part of a VaPer Showdown that I conducted between several VaPer blends:

I got the tin the other day and I immediately cracked it open and took a whiff. Mmmm, it smelled like the sour fruitiness of the Virginias and the peppery spice of the Perique. I think that I read somewhere that this might have a small amount of burley mixed in there for good measure. It is a course cut flake and I rubbed it out a little more to help with drying. The appearance is kind of a red, and light and dark browns (mostly dark brown). I let it air out and dry for about 15-20 minutes and then loaded it up into my Peterson Bent Bulldog.

Right off of the bat this was a great tasting blend. Lighting was extremely easy with only one false light. As the bowl progressed, the flavor got fuller and fuller and leveled out at about a medium to full in taste and strength. The Virginias provide the sweetness throughout and while there is a decent amount of Perique in this blend it never overpowers the taste. It?s always there in the background and weaves itself in and out through the Virginias. It has a great, lively flavor that never goes flat. Also, I never had any kind of tongue bite even though I?m sure I got it going hot a few times. The Virginias never go sour either.

The smoke aroma comes off as sweet and fruity and for some reason it smells a bit chocolaty to me. Not sure why that is or if it?s another scent that I just can?t identify but it is close to chocolaty.

Now, I know that I?m going to cause a stir by saying this but I enjoyed this more than Escudo. And the tin of Escudo that I?ve been smoking from is 4 years old. Escudo seemed to have a lot of ups and downs throughout smoking it whereas this blend is steady throughout. It burns slow and it didn?t require a lot of relights from me. With that said, this is just me and my opinion. I know that Escudo has a huge following and I?m one of them but I?m ranking this one above Escudo. Not far above.

Here are the standings so far:

1) McConnell ? Scottish Cake 2) Escudo 3) Treasures of Ireland ? Limerick 4) Dorchester 5) Luxury Bullseye Flake 6) Kajun Kake

Captain Pete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain Pete (83)

I have no idea what took me so long to finally get around to writing a review on this stuff. Sometimes, I feel that there is nothing particular of note that I can add to other reviews that will be helpful. Then again, sometimes I like simply to put in my two cents worth.

Scottish Cake is an "old timey" feeling tobacco, but not quite along the lines of the Gawith & Hogarth. In strength and character it is more like some of the Germain blends, including those made for Esoterica. But, it has a much livelier flavor than any of the offerings from this aforementioned fine company. This is a pretty straightforward, simply VA/Per blend. Nothing fancy, just good flavor and moderate nicotine strength.

In the tin, it smells delicious; sweet, tangy tobacco goodness. It lights relatively easy, and stays lit all the way to the bottom of the bowl, at which point you are going to empty out a little bit of fine white ash. The flavor is slightly sweet, slightly tangy, with a noticable perique tartness lingering in the background. What impressed me about this blend is that it is so well crafted that the flavors marry perfectly for me. All the way through the bowl, the flavors maintained their integrity without one or the other fading or dominating.

I believe the only other va/per blend I could really compare this to is Escudo. But, where the perique in Escudo can leap out at you, surprising you sometimes, in Scottish Cake it behaves very well, and stays just where it's supposed to. The virginia is nice full bodied, and it doesn't really seem to develop an acrid or ashy taste. This is a tobacco that, if you really like it, you don't have to worry about dedicating a pipe to it, as the flavors are straightforward rather than subtle. It's virginia and perique.

Scottish Cake, though not a standout tobacco in comparison with some other blends I smoke, is a very solid choice for an "anytime" smoke. I don't think I would smoke it all the time, but I could definitely smoke it anytime.

Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

I had very high hopes for this tin. So far it has been less than anticipated. I will update this review if the airing-out smooths this one out. (6/14/05)

It has been about 5 months since my initial review. I smoked a couple of bowls today without any other tobaccos and was very pleased. A very tasty medium Virginia ready rubbed flake. The tin suggests this is a Va./Per. I didn't taste any Perique though.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a nice, mild smoke. Upon the initial lighting of a VA blend, the stronger blends can be a bit harsh and ?knock me back? in my chair, others that are milder, like Scottish Cake, are much kinder. This is a pleasant, gentle, sweet smoke all the way to the bottom of the bowl. Highly recommended to the smoker who wants to try a Virginia blend for the first time.

Paddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paddy (127)

As described, a dark brown, rubbed out flake with few bits of lighter leaf. The tobacco in this tin is exceptionally moist, and the paper cover is damp. The smell of the tobacco tells me a sweetener has been added, a sort of faint,raisiny note. I let the tobacco dry for about fifteen minutes. It is still a bit moist, very pliable and packs easily. The smoke is a dark, mild, honeydew Virginia flavor with no bite. I do not taste the Kentucky although it may be adding some subtle roundness. This is a good smoke. It is mild but the flavor of Virginia is distinct. As I guessed it would, this smokes a bit wet and requires a pipe cleaner half way through, but the tobacco burns very well without relights or tending. This compares to Marlin Flake, perhaps a little sweeter and a little less robust. It is not in the Best Brown or Full Virginia Flake category. All in all a very tasty smoke. Highly recommended to the lover of Virginia flake tobacco. Paddy.

Knightsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Knightsmoker (137)

This is a good blend, one that those that love VA/per/Ky blends should try. The VA's have notes of hay and citrus and the reb VA has notes of dark fruit and a subtle note of toasted grain. The perique comes and goes with notes of plum and raisins and a faint pepper note. The KY has a mild woodsy note with a little spice and earth (which I think comes from the KY but could be from the VA's) here and there and adds some depth to the overall blend but is far from forward. There is a very mild topping that seems more like a sweeter than anything else. Overall, a good blend that missed greatness but still very recommended. It will not bite even if pushed and would be a great blend for someone with just a little pipe experience to get into the VA/per/KY blends. I personally prefer Peterson's Howl o' the wynd (at the 6 month to 2 yr. mark) over this one, however.

Age When Smoked: 2 yrs.

Naeewena Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Naeewena (5)

Open the tin and comes out smell from vinegar and tobacco , in moist dark broken flakes. Needs to be dry some hours or else produce high temperatures and hot air without flavor . When is dry is much better , a soft sweetness from the red virginia , earthy from the kentaky and fruity from the perique all this compine from light topping . Produce many moist in the smoking . Good level nicotine is not strong is not weak . Interesting tobacco but not an all day for me .Is three stars for the taste but two stars for how is burning , in total 2,5 .

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

I pretty much agree with JimInks on this one; there is a touch of sweetness for a topping/casing (molasses?), and the Kentucky is pretty well hidden, but probably makes the blend a tad more interesting. The Perique is slightly more noticeable but not peppery, and the VAs form most of the bend's structure and taste. This tin at least was just right in terms of moisture, and the broken flakes pack nicely and burn fairly slow. Fans of light to moderate VaPers should give it a try. Most others probably won't be too impressed.

Pipe Used: briars, cobs, and meers

Age When Smoked: 2 months after being gifted this

Italo Svevo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Italo Svevo (19)
Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Scottish Cake or Scottish Fake?

I've had the most the most bizarre experience with this tin, purchased one year ago from a German retailer.

When I opened it two days ago, I expected to be greeted by the raisins and molasses etc everybody is talking about here. Instead, vinegar. Sour-sweet, like balsamico, not pleasant in any case. However, I packed a small pipe, went for a walk, and was pleasantly surprised - nice, mellow Kentucky rounded up by sweet Virginia. No bite, gentle. No noticeable Perique either, but I didn't care, it was nice.

The next day, I noticed that the smell had improved, more sweet less sour, and that the flakes were darker. I packed a bigger pipe this time, expecting a better taste too, but after a while I realized... there was nothing there anymore! No Kentucky, no Virginia, no nothing, just like water steam! A faint memory of Kentucky earthiness from time to time, nothing else...

I thought: maybe it's me. Wrong day. My taste buds are on strike. Went there again this morning with the small pipe: same result. Emptiness. Where once was taste, now is a gazing black hole of nothingness. It burns well, no bite, no gurgles, but no taste and no aroma either!

So, I don't know what to think. Especially considering the reviews here. Maybe if I keep it there in the box a few months, it will improve. Maybe it's good for mixing with things that are too strong and need to be watered down. Right now though, I just feel like I want my money back.

UPDATE: Yes, it can be used to tame more rustic things such as Italian Comune with satisfying results. I would perhaps buy it again for 5-6 euros, but not for 9, certainly not for 19 (Italian ludicrous price)...

Pipe Used: Aldo Velani (balsa filter), Savinelli

Purchased From: tabakpfeife24.de

pecheur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pecheur (19)

I don't know how or why this gets described as a VaPer, seems more like a virginia-kentucky blend with a hint of perique to me but YMMV.

I openned a tin a few years back and was greeted by the smell of raisins and a lightish brown broken flake. The tobacco was very sticky and damp and felt heavily cased. I wasn't particularly impressed with a couple of bowls so jarred it up and forgot about it.

Came back to it recently and was impressed. The tobacco was no longer horribly sticky, it was a couple of shades darker brown and the smell of raisins was still present. It needed a little dry time and then it packed and burned perfectly if rubbed out or left natural, I preferred it lightly rubbed.

It starts off virginia forward with a sweet, tangy flavour that's a little too rounded and rich to be a straight virginia. As the bowl goes on the sweet, tangy flavour disappears and the bowl gets richer and more earthy in flavour. In the second half of the bowl a rich sweet molasses flavour appears and disappears, it's a lovely flavour all be it fleeting.

I'm certainly going to age a couple of tins as I enjoyed it with a little age but I much prefer the first half of the bowl than the second.

Pipe Used: It loved a blakemar cutty

Age When Smoked: Fresh & 18months+

Purchased From: mysmokingshop.com

Dimi7ris Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dimi7ris (3)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Nice tobacco with medium special deferent taste. A litle fruity and smoked taste of kentuky, but nothing to much.... i liked it generally, but it is not one of my favorites...

Age When Smoked: 6-02-2014

Gestalt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gestalt (20)

Smokes like a good sweet Virginia with the Perique just noticeable in the snork. The Kentucky boosts the nicotine a little and helps it burn a little cooler, keeping bite at bay, but I can't detect it in the smoke.

A nice, hassle free all-day smoke, which is good for Virginia lovers who can't give their full attention to the smoke or puff a bit too hard, but a little flat and lacking complexity.

Good, but no rival to ‘Hal O' the Wynd'.

UPDATE: I've smoked a few bowls of this since I wrote this review. I'm now picking up the Perique in both taste and mouth feel, so this baccy has gone up slightly in my estimations. It had also bitten me twice and one of those times VERY hard, but I think that had more to do with me pulling to hard after a few (not so wee) drams.

Pseudo Nim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pseudo Nim (110)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

I was suprised to see that Perique is added to this blend, to my taste, it seems very subdued. A very nice Virginia with a good bit of taste, along with it's partner in crime, Scottish Flake.

After a little drying time, this burns well, no bite wit enough taste and flavour to kep me intrested. They may not be in my top five Virginia's, perhaps top ten, either way, I always seem to have some on hand even if it's only two or three tins.

Worth a try.

Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

This is a high quality pipe tobacco that contains Virginia and perique, the taste is 100% natural tobacco, the Virginia is not sweet at all, perique is well balanced, overall this is a nicely balanced and natural Va/per. I prefer my VA more sweet than this one,.

Not my cup of tea but quality tobacco, worth a try.

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (187)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This seems to be the most favorite RmC's baccy, it deserves indeed. I will not add any further comment, people before me said it all about the nice qualities, and I'm of those thinking there's Perique in the mix, or something darn similar. Like most of RmC's it comes quite wet inside the tin (I'm wondering why the hell should we pay for water instead of tobacco...) thus stinging the tongue if sipped fast. Mixed 50/50 with McB's Golden Blend (mostly Burley with very mild honeysh topping) makes the perfect all-day smoke, round and "regular".

Sasquatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sasquatch (81)

Update fall 2012: Continue to order and smoke this. It's top quality stuff and in the right pipe it really sings.

Update fall 08: This is a nice sweet Va/Per... easy smoking but I got bored of it.

First Update: The more I smoke this, the more I like it. It's kind of like the Coffee Crisp of the pipe world... "a nice, light snack". Leaves me wanting more, but in a good way.

Great dog-walking tobacco. I think I'll try Scottish Flake next time.

This one didn't do much for me. Quality is really high, presentation is nice ... "Von hand gemischt und gepackt" gotta love it. Straight tobacco, Va predominant - a nice dark broken flake kind of thing.

In the pipe this stuff is very friendly, for sure... reminded me a bit of a Mac Baren product without the acidic bite or honey overtones. However, there isn't a huge amount of flavour here... kind of a rice-pudding atmosphere.

Anyway, this is quality stuff, everyone else seems to love it. I was hoping for a somewhat deeper tobacco.

orka Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
orka (64)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I didn't quite like this right out of the tin for some reason. It tasted too similar to Red Virginia, which never managed to impress me much (simply too boring). However, something seems to have changed in the 3-4 months that has passed since I got the tin. It has transformed into a rich, sweet and creamy smoke. Or perhaps it's the emerging autumn, as others have suggested, it does seem to fit in better with the colder weather.

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

A pretty unique mixture of tasty, solid Virginias and the right amount plus a pinch of Kentucky. A slight anise casing will probably put off somebody looking for a classic VaPer away, but if you keep your mind open you're likely to enjoy this tobacco from time to time.

Like I've said, this is pretty unique and I couldn't compare it to any particular blend, although I think that two parts of Hal O' the Wynd and one part of Ashton Type 4 mixed together and left to rest for a couple of months should come very close.

Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

A good tobacco, with a solid sweet but not cloying taste. The Virginia base stands out, quite similar in flavour to Marlin Flake (honeyed, flowey) but with a slightly smokier and woodier note (probably the Kentucky).

A bit wet in the tin, but it smokes well, slow and usually dry.

Nothing particularly striking, but a solid, well-behaved all-day smoke.

Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I originally tried this blend about ten years ago. At the time, taken as I was by English style mixtures and not very familiar with straight Vas., I found it rather dull and mild. A change of taste over the years has allowed me to appreciate the subtler Virginia flavours, and I must say I now find this blend a very nice and intriguing change of pace. Blended with the same care and quality that Kohlhase, Kopp & Co seem to put in their Rattray?s and Astley?s renderings, Scottish Cake is a very smooth smoke, slightly tangy, providing a simple and direct tobacco flavour. IMO the Kentucky here is barely noticeable, but it does seem to give a certain roundness to the overall flavour.

I don?t think this tobacco is cased or topped (at least I could not detect any particular flavour other than natural tobacco leaf). It comes in a broken flake form, a medium to light shade of brown, very easy to further rub out if you wish so. It packs easily and it has excellent burning characteristics.

Though I do enjoy it and smoke it gladly, there is really nothing remarkable or extraordinary about SC to make it an outstanding Virginia. Lets say that it is not a tobacco you would miss terribly if it went off the market, but if you have it in hand, well, it is a very good quality smoke, somewhat muted, yet very civil and traditional. If your thing is straight Virginias give it a try.