In the summer of 2015 My Own Blend launched three blends celebrating the Nordic mythology. Odin consists of a blend of pure rubbed Virginia flakes, dark fired Kentucky and some loose Virginia. The Kentucky gives the blend a little spice.

Notes: http://www.paul-olsen.dk/

BrandPaul Olsen
Blend TypeVirginia Based
ContentsKentucky, Virginia
CutMixture
Strength
None Detected, Extremely Mild
Taste
Medium, Medium to Full

A friend of mine brought me a tin of this from a trip to Europe. It is a mix of brown and tan ribbons with a few fragments of rubbed out flake that did not get completely rubbed out. It came at a good level of moisture.

Smoked, this is a tasty combination of sweet and spicy. I think that at least part of the sweet is a mild topping, and the Virginia has a few notes of hay. The blend teeters on the edge of being DFK forward, and it is fairly spicy. The DFK adds a little earthy flavor to the mix.

It reminds me of a rubbed out Superior Round Slices, although in SRS, the Virginia/topping combo is a little heavier. SRS gives me palate fatigue after a couple of bowls, and Odin does not.

This is easy to recommend.

grimpeur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
grimpeur (84)

A "rich, but not too rich" blend of Virginia tobaccos presented in a blend of ribbon, ready-rubbed, and broken flake. With just enough dark-fired Kentucky to liven up the smoke. Thus far in my exploration of Olsen Virginia blends and flakes, I haven't come across one that I wouldn't strongly recommend to a fellow smoker.

As has become my custom with the MOB blends, I don't smoke them right away; the Odin I let sit for six months. I find that there's noticeable improvement.

Pipe Used: Various briars and a Falcon