Here is a unique blend made from pressed and fermented Virginia, Burley, and Oriental tobaccos. The outcome is a delicate and round Cavendish tobacco blend.

Notes: This blend has been around since the early 1960s here in Germany, a time when pipe smoking was considered to be very debonnaire. The sales slogan was, "Der Mann, der Lincoln raucht...," which translates as, "The man who smokes Lincoln..." This was always couples with a photo of a ruggedly handsome man doing some very manly activity (akin in a way with the types of images used to market Camel or Marlboro cigarrettes). Though the brand has changed hands several times, it has undergone little change and withstood the test of time. It remains a favorite blend in many a pipe smoker's rotation. I don't know if it is available in any other countries. Perhaps some of you other reviewers could help me out on this one.

BrandScandinavian Tobacco Group (STG)
Blended ByScandanavian Tobacco Group
2.0
Flinthills Tex Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Flinthills Tex (26)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant

Upon opening the pouch, one is presented with the pleasantly sweet, slightly spicy fragrance of naturally fermented tobacco. I can detect no trace of any top-flavour or casing. The description on the pouch describes the pouch-note as fruity, though there is no mention of any kind of flavouring.

The tobacco has been vacuum packed and is therefore pressed into a block, requiring some rubbing to loosen it up before filling your pipe. It is ribbon-cut, and is a lovely mixture of golden and chocolate browns. Out of the pouch this tobacco is a bit moist, so you really ought to leave the pouch open for a few hours.

This is my preliminary report after having smoked the first bowl full of Lincoln Cavendish. The first puffs offer the smoker a mildly pleasant, yet flavorful smoke. The room note is a grassy fragrance, somewhat similar to the scent of a Dominican cigar, but sweeter. The tobacco provides a cool smoke with no tongue-bite an smokes dry to the bottom of the bowl leaving no dottle. The smoker is afforded a pleasantly mild smoke, though there is no complexity to this blend. The taste remains consistent throughout the bowl, without turning bitter as many aromatics have a tendency to do. This blend didn't "wow" me, but it wasn't bad either. I would recommend this tobacco for smoking while reading or doing your (other) hobby.

I will update this report as I smoke my way through the pouch.

Here is my update: There is not much to add to what I have already written. Lincoln Cavendish tastes good, but it lacks complexity. I like the fact that it is not flavoured, so you are getting more pure tobacco taste. I do think that the smoke tastes better in cooler weather than on a hot summer day. Since I do all my smoking outdoors, I have noticed that the same tobacco may taste better or worse depending on the weather conditions. I have also noticed a decided nicotine kick about 2/3 through each bowl.

Lincoln is a decent choice for lovers of aromatics who want a break from strong flavouring.

Pipe Used: Butz Choquin Prince