Peterson's Connemara Black is a different take on one of the most popular types of pipe tobacco - cherry aromatics. Soft, superb black cavendish is blended with mature, ripe Virginias, and accented with a singularly sweet and zesty cherry note. Cool enough to enjoy all day, Connemara Black has an outstanding room note that everyone will love.

BrandPeterson
1.5
Skibbereen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skibbereen (19)
Strong Strong Very Full Tolerable to Strong

Well...looks like I am the first to review this blend. Well ladies and gentleman...if my opinion counts...I've got some bad news!! You know...I am a huge fan of Peterson pipes. I have about 120 Pete's. But the only blend I like from their tobacco collection is Old Dublin. So you would figure that should have told me something...but as you all know...all of us pipe smokers suffer from T.A.D. (Tobacco Acquisition Disorder). So when I saw the advertisement for Connemara Black I had to try it. So...I wiped off a beautiful old Peterson Connemara B2 and opened the pouch. The first odor that hit me was the cherry. Very strong but wonderful. Then behind that I could smell the Virginia. And then I caught an odor of something I have never smelled from tinned pipe tobaccos. (This tobacco comes in a plastic pouch). Everything about the blend screamed "Over the Counter" blend. But I packed up a bowl and fired up a stick and had at it. First pull wasn't to bad I thought. I could taste the cherry but it wasn't overpowering. Then I tasted the Virginia. I thought that I just lit a cherry flavored cigarette. And even the charring light was a scorcher. Lots of bite. I set the pipe down and forgot about it for 15-20 minutes and then I picked it up and relit it. It was stronger than the charring light. Not to much cherry...but a lot of Virginia. But not good Virginia. It tasted cheap and dry. The farther down the bowl the stronger it got. It did burn well however. Just a tad of dottle in the bottom. But it just had nothing. No character...no ambiance...no flavor! It pains my heart to write such negative words about a Peterson product but I expect the readers would appreciate honesty. I do realize that the jury should still be out on this blend so I will continue to experiment with this blend and if it turns out I can update this review with anything positive I will do so. But for now...my first impressions are not good. If you like cherry flavored cigarettes...get it. Otherwise...you would be smart to pass.

Update as of 9/27/15 I had to throw this away. I tried very hard to like it...I just couldn't do it. This blend is just bad!

Pipe Used: Peterson Connemara B2

Age When Smoked: Right from the mailbox

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

Similar Blends: Brown & Williamson - Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic, Half & Half - Half & Half Regular, Cherry flavored Lucky Strike non-filters.

Greekpipesmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Greekpipesmoker (123)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A friend of mine had the kindness to donate me a bowl of this blend.when you break the seal a stong smell of cherry and nuts comes out.the moisture level is proper,packs ok,lights with a little effort and several relights are needed.while burning the chery topping dominates the flavours.though strong the topping disappears after the half bowl.i also detected nuts and very rare some citruses.the virginia flavours are really subtlimated by the topping.tongue bite is present even if you go slow.burns fast and hot creating lots of moisture and dumbness in the bowl.the nicotine level is low.the room note is almost pleasing because the smell is very strong .in conclusion this low nicotine and very strong aroma blend can be smoked all day but not from me!!!

Age When Smoked: When opened

nkulk8r Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
nkulk8r (3)
Very Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

I am relatively new to pipe smoking (two years) -- and it's hard for me to find a tobacco that I really do not like, but . . .

How could Peterson ever let this stuff go to market?

I started out as (I presume many new pipe smokers did) choofing on aromatics. I noticed that there were a lot of cherry blends on the market -- many that were smoked by what I believed to be seasoned smokers -- so I thought I couldn't go wrong with Connemara Black. Boy, was I wrong.

There are a half-dozen Peterson pipes in my rotation, as well as several of their tobaccos (Connoisseur's Choice, Special Reserve, Irish Flake). This cherry spasm is just terrible stuff. No real character, nothing to "wow" me or write home about -- something I would never fill a second bowl with.

I read the description: "Soft, superb black Cavendish is blended with mature, ripe Virginias and accented with a singularly sweet and zesty cherry note. Cool enough to enjoy all day, Connemara Black has an outstanding room note that everyone will love." I found none of that to be true.

I hate to hate on tobacco from reputable suppliers, but, this one just flops.

Pipe Used: One I sold as an estate

Similar Blends: Cherry cough syrup.

Mild Very Strong Medium Pleasant

Peterson - Connemara Black.

Okay, at first I disagreed with my fellow reviewers, I felt this was a good cherry aromatic; that lasted all but a minute!

I'll highlight firstly that this is a very false tasting blend. The cherry flavouring has been added in a stupidly large quantity. If you like something gloopy in your pipe you've found the blend for you right here! As well as this cherry addition I can identify a sort of vanilla cream touch, that probably comes from the Black Cavendish though as it's not that strong as to suggest that alongside the cherry another topping has been used.

As well as me finding the cherry stupid, my point of view on the heat is the same. It burns horribly hot. This makes the pipe uncomfortable to hold and the smoke's a menace on the tongue.

Nicotine? From my point of view it's no more than mild. Although you may find, like my fellow reviewers, that your opinion differs to mine.

The only good point is the room note. It has a great cherry quality that lasts a little longer than the smokes duration. Is that enough of a redemption though?...No, I'll summarise with one word: AVOID.

Not rated.

Pipe Used: Peterson Golden Supreme

Purchased From: GQ Tobacco's

adamblue Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
adamblue (1)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Overwhelming

I totally don't agree with relatively negative opinions of this tobacco. I am in the habit of smoking pipe in the room and I am totally satisfied with the cherry smell. I agree the cherry smell is not overwhelming while smoking, but this is rather an advantage than a defect. It is true that this tobacco tastes like Virginia more than like Black Cavendish, but at no chance as a cheap Virginia... It is a very decent Virginia in my opinion and it burns very well. To make the long story short - I would recommend this tobacco for all those who enjoy inroom smoking (it is very nice and pleasant - you can ask my wife ;).

Pipe Used: 15

Age When Smoked: 38

Purchased From: https://sherlocktrafika.wordpress.com/

natibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
natibo (154)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This blend has a very nice cherry flavor, at first, but is gone quick. It also burns hot. The upside? My teenage daughter liked the smell. Not enough reasons to smoke this. I'll stick with TX-6 for cherry.

Smokycanuck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smokycanuck (2)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

I agree with the other reviews, wasn't impressed. This was a disappointment from Peterson, but I didn't want to just throw it out. What I did to save it as a smoke able tobacco. I mixed it with some bulk black cavendish, and it mellowed out and is now pretty decent, not amazing but a decent smoke. Peterson adjust this and you could have an excellent cherry tobacco.

Age When Smoked: As it came from the shop, and again a month later

Similar Blends: Right now don't bother. I'm sure there are better cherry blends out here. Or if you've already bought some, it can be saved as a basis for your own blend..

Bbrown626 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bbrown626 (79)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Three strikes… I have never tried a Peterson tobacco, and this one intrigued me. It is hard to find a good cherry that doesn't bite and I guess I will keep looking. Upon lighting this up for the first time, I got the taste of cherry lifesaver, not something I was looking for in a tobacco. Sadly, that was the high point of the smoking experience. In five minutes, any trace of cherry was gone and the tobacco became bitter and started biting. I gave it three shots in three different pipes, and got the same result. Into the trash...

Pipe Used: cob, meeerschaum, grabow briar